• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Cards are now being templated in a manner that makes them work better with MTG: Arena:

They're going in deep on Arena.
Not that we didn't already know this.

What would that card have looked like previously with an attack trigger?

kirblar

What would that card have looked like previously with an attack trigger?
It's a overall nerf to the card. Previously, it would have been "when this attacks, attacking creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn". You would need to kill it before it attacks. Now your opponent can kill it at any point in combat to prevent the bonus.

DrArchon

I'm confused by Glorifier of Dusk. If they wanted it to be a "build your own Serra Angel" that used life, shouldn't they have, you know, done something to make up for the fact that you're paying life to get a Serra Angel?

For fuck's sake, it's even uncommon! I get that white shouldn't be getting a 4 mana 4/4, but they needed to do something. It's not like Serra Angel is as good as it used to be.

It's a overall nerf to the card. Previously, it would have been "when this attacks, attacking creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn". You would need to kill it before it attacks. Now your opponent can kill it at any point in combat to prevent the bonus.

You're wrong. The prior templating would've been "Whenever ~ attacks, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn" the "Whenever" is the trigger they're talking about.

Changing it to "As long as ~ is attacking," it makes it into a conditional static ability, which is not a trigger, which avoids having to 1) get stack priority, 2) pass it to opponent before the +2 / +0 happens.

Justin

They don't say that it ever gave attacking creatures +2/+0

Justin

Also its not like they are completely removing those types of triggers its just on that specific card it wasn't necessary.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Also its not like they are completely removing those types of triggers its just on that specific card it wasn't necessary.

They specifically said, "We're planning on using this template more to avoid unnecessary triggers."

Yeef

Ahhh sick I could've gone to nationals, I have a pro point. It's really close too!
You have until 9pm tonight to register; so you can still go! I'll be there and do poorly.

I'm confused by Glorifier of Dusk. If they wanted it to be a "build your own Serra Angel" that used life, shouldn't they have, you know, done something to make up for the fact that you're paying life to get a Serra Angel?

For fuck's sake, it's even uncommon! I get that white shouldn't be getting a 4 mana 4/4, but they needed to do something. It's not like Serra Angel is as good as it used to be.
Serra Angel is a very, very good card in limited. Event this card, as a worse Serra Angel, is still very good.

Guys, all that's happening is that "when this attacks" triggers that only affect that creature will now be "as long as it's attacking" static effects.

ZealousD

You're wrong. The prior templating would've been "Whenever ~ attacks, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn" the "Whenever" is the trigger they're talking about.

Changing it to "As long as ~ is attacking," it makes it into a conditional static ability, which is not a trigger, which avoids having to 1) get stack priority, 2) pass it to opponent before the +2 / +0 happens.

Okay, so let's say Adanto Vanguard has a +1/+1 counter on it, making it a 2/2. Once I declare it attacks, it immediately applies and becomes a 4/2. My opponent cannot kill it with Vanquish the Weak.

But if it had the old text and was a trigger, the +2/+0 is placed onto the stack, and my opponent can play Vanquish the Weak to kill it because they played their spell on top of the attack trigger on the stack. Is that correct?

Okay, so let's say Adanto Vanguard has a +1/+1 counter on it, making it a 2/2. Once I declare it attacks, it immediately applies and becomes a 4/2. My opponent cannot kill it with Vanquish the Weak.

But if it had the old text and was a trigger, the +2/+0 is placed onto the stack, and my opponent can play Vanquish the Weak to kill it because they played their spell on top of the attack trigger on the stack. Is that correct?
Right.

ultron87

That's right. But there are multiple times before you declare attackers during your turn that the opponent would get priority and could kill it before it starts attacking. It makes the card slightly better in that situation, since your opponent may need to make a move before you make the choice of what to attack with, but it's pretty marginal.

Akim

Banned
I'm starting to think the level of competition at my LGS isn't very high.

My first 2 drafts in Magic Online: 0-3, 0-3

Pre-release sealed and draft at the LGS: 4-0, 4-0

Justin

Don't forget that on MTGO you are most of the time not playing against the people in your pod so the experience is a bit different.

Tunoku

Ixalan is such a fast draft format holy shit. Just did my first draft with the set and the whole pod took less time than watching Bladerunner 2049.

ultron87

That's probably the case with the vast majority of MTGO players vs LGS players, especially for limited. MTGO has people that draft once a day or even multiple times a day. People that play in paper are probably drafting once or twice a week.

If you ever want the easiest drafts, go to a convention that has Magic as one of many other events. There you have a decent chance to play against people that draft once a year.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's right. But there are multiple times before you declare attackers during your turn that the opponent would get priority and could kill it before it starts attacking. It makes the card slightly better in that situation, since your opponent may need to make a move before you make the choice of what to attack with, but it's pretty marginal.

Exactly. Stuff like this seems pretty minor overall

Sweet, opened Carnage Tyrant and Gishath from my Ixalan box. Strangely I now have 3 Tishanas after about 50 boosters. I guess this is a sign from the heart of cards to play merfolk ramp.

Exactly. Stuff like this seems pretty minor overall

Yeah, and "simplicity" does not equal simplification. I struggle in my play group to explain the Stack almost every time we meet up. I've used the grenade analogy, I've visualized it, everything- it's a weird concept. If modern Magic has more intuitive behaviours, I think that's better. If anything, the fact that Explore survived the full development cycle to print is reason enough to believe that nothing is being done to tone down complexity :)

Maybe that wasn't the argument being made, was just reading the posts and felt strongly enough to post my thoughts lol

Congrats on the packs. For real, though, well done!

Ashodin

You have until 9pm tonight to register; so you can still go! I'll be there and do poorly.

Serra Angel is a very, very good card in limited. Event this card, as a worse Serra Angel, is still very good.

It's more money and travel; I'd have to sleep in my car basically.

Violet_0

Banned
bad draft today, dino deck again (sigh), the dino thalia as my only rare, opponents played on curve while I couldn't despite low curve, part of the store actually smelled a little like poop, played against a replicant that would never pass the Voight-Kampff test and be mistaken as human. I don't gel all that well with the typical game store clientel either. MTG is of little interest to me outside of FNM drafts. Not that much into "nerdy" hobbies, and this comes from someone who just posted this on a gaming forum with a cartoon avatar and just used the expression "Voight-Kampff test". Maybe I'm just too tired

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
bad draft today, dino deck again (sigh), the dino thalia as my only rare, opponents played on curve while I couldn't despite low curve, part of the store actually smelled a little like poop, played against a replicant that would never pass the Voight-Kampff test and be mistaken as human. I don't gel all that well with the typical game store clientel either. MTG is of little interest to me outside of FNM drafts. Not that much into "nerdy" hobbies, and this comes from someone who just posted this on a gaming forum with a cartoon avatar and just used the expression "Voight-Kampff test". Maybe I'm just too tired

I don't like playing in stores. Get friends, find a kitchen table

Card Boy

Banned
Help me GAF trying to not net deck it this time and want to make a Boros Soldiers deck for Modern.

I need to trim this down abit. I want at least 26 creatures though.

Creatures

4 Champion of the Parish
4 Thalia's Lieutenant
2 Field Marshal
4 Precinct Captain
2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
4 Metallic Mimic
3 Preeminent Captain
4 Hanweir Garrison
2 Ballyrush Banneret
1 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Legion Loyalist
2 Tajic, Blade of the Legion
1 Iroas, God of Victory

Spells

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Boros Charm

Land

4 Inspiring Vantage
3 Sacred Foundary
1 Arid Mesa
4 Bloodstained Mire
6 Plains
3 Mountain

Maybeboad

1 Ajani Vengeant
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
4 Path to Exile

I only have 1 Arid Mesa and 3 Foundaries. I have 4 Wooded Foothills in case i need more Fetch lands.

Sweet, opened Carnage Tyrant and Gishath from my Ixalan box. Strangely I now have 3 Tishanas after about 50 boosters. I guess this is a sign from the heart of cards to play merfolk ramp.

You really don't need to have any other Merfolk in a Tishana deck. It's a buffed Regal Force. I've been trying to get something going with Bounty of the Luxa and Kefnet.

y2dvd

2-2 with UW Approach, one of them being a bye lol. Both of the lost were to from Temur and Sultai Energy.

I've noticed game 1 was free in every match, but it becomes extremely difficult post board due to being able to battle in counter magic while dropping nonstop threats.

I think Imma switch to UB control next time.

2-2 with UW Approach, one of them being a bye lol. Both of the lost were to from Temur and Sultai Energy.

I've noticed game 1 was free in every match, but it becomes extremely difficult post board due to being able to battle in counter magic while dropping nonstop threats.

I think Imma switch to UB control next time.

This is my UB control list. Well, more like UB Thieves, but still:

sdfsdfqes8m.png

ZealousD

Just got back from my very first FNM. I played my homebrewy Dinosaur deck I posted earlier. I feel like I did pretty good.

1st match: Went 2-0. My opponent had some sort of blue/green energy deck. I wasn't exactly sure what his gameplan is. He wasn't able to play much early game so I ended up just overrunning him.

2nd match: Went 1-2. Against Ramunap Red. Closest games of the night. I had Verdant Sun's Avatar in my sideboard that I slotted in and was one mana away from casting it before I died on the third game.

3rd match: 1-1-1. He was playing a Tezzert Blue/Black artifact deck of some kind. We basically didn't get to play the third game because the first game went too slow..

4th match: 0-2. Blown out by a blue/white control deck with Approach of the Second Sun. Just removed/countered my creatures. Drew cards. Played Approach of the Second Sun. Drew more cards. Played it again. Welp.

I ordered some cards from TCGPlayer last week and made a couple good trades tonight. I'll post an updated deck in the next couple of days, maybe.

4-0 with Ramunap Red tonight, with my own twist of 2x repeating barrage, and 3x Hazoret instead of 4. After worlds, I felt very strongly that it was wrong to run 4x Hazoret, and also that with the 1/2 prowess becoming more relevant, more spells were better.

I wouldn't say that repeating barrage bore out in the 4-0, but as usual the deck is still very good.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";251968718]You really don't need to have any other Merfolk in a Tishana deck. It's a buffed Regal Force. I've been trying to get something going with Bounty of the Luxa and Kefnet.[/QUOTE]

I have those, I'll try to brew something. I was originally thinking a merfolk theme with Deeproot Waters to get creatures for Tishana.

Repgnar

Driving about 9 hours today so planning on listening to the nationals for part of it. Anyone know what time the event is suppose to be on twitch?

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";251968856]This is my UB control list. Well, more like UB Thieves, but still:

sdfsdfqes8m.png
[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more control based, but how are the creature based working out for you?

Justin

Finally got a Carnage Tyrant on screen. Won Manfield the first game but lost the second game with two on board after one was blocked by a gifted aetherborn and the other taken out by Bontu's Reckoning.

Well I went and did it. I cashed out my money cards from MTGO. With this cash I may as well build a new computer.

Arena here I come!

Now to liquidate some of my paper cards. I think that I will keep Modern Jund and some Commander decks though.

Top Bottom