• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

MaRo's Monday Article
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/odds-ends-ixalan-part-2-2017-10-16

Will there be more flip cards in Rivals?
Double-faced cards ("flip" cards are technically something we did in Champions of Kamigawa block where the card could flip upside down and change into a different form; it was the precursor to double-faced cards) are an Ixalan block thing and not just an Ixalan set thing, so yes, there will be double-faced cards in Rivals of Ixalan. Will they be exactly the same? You'll have to wait and see.

Were dinosaurs ever designed as vehicles?
When we were making the rules for Vehicles during Kaladesh, I brought up what I call the "mount issue." Yes, riding in artificially made Vehicles is a lot of fun, but so too is riding creatures. Someday I knew we'd want to explore the mount mechanical space, so I was curious if we wanted to write the rules for Vehicles such that one day we could use them for Mounts.

The rules manager at the time, Matt Tabak, explained to me it wasn't possible, as Vehicles by design aren't creatures until crewed. Mounts, by flavor, are always creatures, so the mechanical execution wouldn't work. This is also why when choosing the words "Vehicle" and "crew," we leaned toward the mechanical side of the flavor.

And next week we are getting the article on the big R&D change he has been hinting at for the last few months
Join me next week when I'll finally share the big changes that have gone on behind the scenes in R&D.

y2dvd

SaffronOlive: "Let's talk about the future of standard!"

*5,000 words whining about energy*

It is an interesting argument though. I personally had always like the idea that one block could stand on its own and be competitive. Not everyone plays in every block, so being able to have a viable deck after rotation is sweet. Others obviously feels differently and would rather have new blocks completely warp decks, but I think that would happen even if you push each block mechanics.

It is an interesting argument though.

Oh, it is. I'm kind of sour on SaffronOlive's big-picture articles lately because he's been much more obvious with his axe-grinding. Before this it was the MTG Arena articles with his ludicrous Thanks Obama take on building decks Hearthstone ("how does anyone figure this out?!?! it's so complicated and expensive?!??!") that he leveraged into some pretty bad-faith arguments about what Arena would be like for players; now it's hammering on energy as a whole after a few Twitter conversations where people pointed out what kinds of cards were problematic. In both cases I'm interested in debate on the topic but wish the person with a big platform driving it wasn't starting from such a questionable place.

In this particular article, he's definitely correct about the challenges of the single-set model, and he does a pretty good job of identifying some of the risks, but it's funny to me that he basically just winds up reasoning himself to the same place WotC did (i.e. "if we do a core set it can be the place we put stuff to help smooth out this model.")

Let's say I played Arena extensively at Hascon, I would also say that, in general, MTG Arena is a dream for players of magic, especially those that are not 20+ year veterans.

It's a lot of fun and has great effects. That's the most you can ask of a magic digital platform.

Justin

SO has been getting really ranty lately. Probably suffering from some burnout. On twitter last week he seemed offended by PVDDR's article where he was suggesting improvements to 4-1 decks.

Saffron Olive @SaffronOlive
2d
Utmost respect for @PVDDR and his writing but strongly dislike Wizards attempt to curate our perception of Standard.

And then was questioning if maybe CFB could be feeding decklists to their team ahead of GPs.

Saffron Olive @SaffronOlive
2d
Since deck lists and who gets to see them are a hot topic, might be worth discussing how GP lists will work with CFB running all events.

In theory, it seems that ChannelFireball would internally have all the data, which could be very beneficial to a pro team for example.

Dude probably should take a break.

SO has been getting really ranty lately.

Yeah, this is basically my position. He's crabby about a lot of stuff and drawing what I would call inaccurate conclusions about it.

He's not wrong!

He's kind of wrong. kirblar and I both talked about it in this thread -- the fundamental problem with energy as executed in Kaladesh is that there's a bunch of cards that let you turn any arbitrary amount of energy into damage in one shot, either by power-boosting or adding counters or making tokens. You put a bunch of these in a deck (like, say, the one energy deck everyone plays in Standard) and now the balance is narrowly hinged on exactly how reasonable the energy sources are.

On the other hand, if you execute the mechanic in a way where every energy ability has another cost (a tap, mana, a sacrifice, or only being usable once a turn due to something like an attack trigger) then managing energy becomes an interesting minigame without dominating the same way.

Energy scales way too well. Let's not have murder in standard but red gets doom blade

It's kind of novel to have red be the color that makes black's removal look like shit for once, though!

Harnessed Lightning is something that could easily be better designed by not being uncapped. Just off the top of my head: {R}, add {E}, then deal 2 damage or pay {E}{E} to deal 4 damage.

Akim

Banned
There's absolutely no way anything gets banned in standard tomorrow, right?

e: trying to decide what to build for some standard FNM action

Justin

Scarab God wont get banned, they will just keep printing answers to it in every set. There were only three copies of it in the top 8 deck lists at US nationals anyway.

I don't think it's gona be banned either but it can be pretty darn oppressive.

Right now energy has moved into either being RUG or BUG but it can easily combine into 4c Energy again if an optimal build is found.
Even then you can be sure every deck builder asks themselves the question of can they beat Scarab God if it resolves and construct their sideboards accordingly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Scarab God being stupid pushed but also having a mechanic that's kind of like Eternalize but actually isn't is insanely dumb when Fatal Push is in the format.

Like someone should have gotten demoted for that shit.

Yes, they should unban SFM in standard ;)

It's not banned in standard. I asked Aaron Forsythe about this on twitter once - a card is unbanned automatically when it rotates so if they were to reprint it it wouldn't be banned lol

Yeah, this is basically my position. He's crabby about a lot of stuff and drawing what I would call inaccurate conclusions about it.

He's kind of wrong. kirblar and I both talked about it in this thread -- the fundamental problem with energy as executed in Kaladesh is that there's a bunch of cards that let you turn any arbitrary amount of energy into damage in one shot, either by power-boosting or adding counters or making tokens. You put a bunch of these in a deck (like, say, the one energy deck everyone plays in Standard) and now the balance is narrowly hinged on exactly how reasonable the energy sources are.

On the other hand, if you execute the mechanic in a way where every energy ability has another cost (a tap, mana, a sacrifice, or only being usable once a turn due to something like an attack trigger) then managing energy becomes an interesting minigame without dominating the same way.

It's kind of novel to have red be the color that makes black's removal look like shit for once, though!

Harnessed Lightning is something that could easily be better designed by not being uncapped. Just off the top of my head: {R}, add {E}, then deal 2 damage or pay {E}{E} to deal 4 damage.

Energy would be an okay mechanic if it weren't for the fact that energy is largely trivial to produce. As it is, I think it's a very stupid mechanic and it was even stupider when the payoff was as ridiculous as when Marvel was legal.

If you're going to make a mechanic like Energy, go big or go home. Obviously they should strive for proper balance, but I'd rather them err on the side of "Energy is too good" than the side of "what a forgettable mechanic and a waste of space."

Santiako

oh really?

EuLAXpa.png

It will be updated tomorrow

Y'all take everything too serious, no one at wotc thought it necessary to update this list even though it has been pointed out to them.

If you're looking for an official banlist for standard these are all still listed as banned.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
why are you arguing everyone else is being too serious when you're attempting to argue that emrakul is still banned when it's not even legal

they're not gonna update the list because why would they do that

Because I wasn't seriously arguing that Emrakul is still banned, that's asinine. When banned cards rotate that should absolutely be reflected on the official banlist. It takes no effort while ensuring no one gets confused when checking out the banlist on the offical website all things magic the gathering.

DrArchon

Scarab God is still not as bad as Copter or Marvel.

Yeah, props for Scarab God not making me think "What the hell was WotC smoking" when I look at it.

Biggest regret I have about the Scarab God is that the other two grixis gods can't compare with it. I was so hyped for Scorpion when I first saw it, and now I'm pretty sure a normal Scarab God costs more than a Scorpion Invocation.

OnPoint

Because I wasn't seriously arguing that Emrakul is still banned, that's asinine. When banned cards rotate that should absolutely be reflected on the official banlist. It takes no effort while ensuring no one gets confused when checking out the banlist on the offical website all things magic the gathering.

To be fair I knew you were joking, because who seriously believes SFM should be unbanned? ;)

Scarab god is nowhere near the sickness that aetherworks marvel and cat combo were.

It's not even a consideration in my mind, and I doubt it is one in theirs either.

OnPoint

They're not banning Scarab God.

But we all knew the bannings we saw would kickstart these conversations. I long for a day when Standard is balanced well enough for long enough that we won't have them anymore.

Scarab god is nowhere near the sickness that aetherworks marvel and cat combo were.

It's not even a consideration in my mind, and I doubt it is one in theirs either.
I'd put it more on the Emrakul Tier, which got banned in Marvel's stead. Where you ask yourself what happend, you were winning but then they played that one creature and none of it mattered.

I'd put it more on the Emrakul Tier, which got banned in Marvel's stead. Where you ask yourself what happend, you were winning but then they played that one creature and none of it mattered.

A fair point. I would put it a notch or two below emrakul though...that said I haven't played against it a ton. And even Emrakul, without Marvel, I was on the fence as to whether that should have been banned. Marvel felt like more of a problem to me than Emrakul, and still does.

Justin

We have another chance at a broken pushed artifact in Rivals if they make a card for whatever the story's mcguffin is. Also with MaRo confirming DFCs are in Rivals but hinting that they might be different I am guessing they are lands that flip into enchantments or artifacts.

A fair point. I would put it a notch or two below emrakul though...that said I haven't played against it a ton. And even Emrakul, without Marvel, I was on the fence as to whether that should have been banned. Marvel felt like more of a problem to me than Emrakul, and still does.
Agreed, Scarab God is easier to answer both when cast and resolved and also that Emrakul ban is one of the more questionable bans.

red13th

wow Merfolk vs Goblins is BAD. I wasn't expecting much and I'm still disappointed.
I thought they would put maybe Ponder or something. Also, pro red, really?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rules question.

I have Rampaging Ferocidon on the field. Opposing player plays Fumigate. Do they heal?

I was all excited about Sorcerous Spyglass but then I realized that Hostage Taker can take artifacts as hostage. What were they smoking.

Top Bottom