• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine's nearly half, but that's the gimmick. :p

Yeah, mine is meant to be multicolor focused a bit, and is about 30% multicolor (Just trimmed it down from closer to 50%). They are all dual color spells though.

Of course, It's hard for me to say how well it works for real drafts, since I've been pretty much exclusively doing Winchester Drafts out of it with the wife lately. I think if I add 3 color cards at all I'll keep them out for the winchester drafts maybe. I dunno.

kirblar

Ascendancy is fine. +1/2 virtual mana + card selection is very good at that price. This is the combo that has access to Sphinx, Courser, and Jace already, but 2/3 will eventually rotate, (Jace probably still in M16.)

This also does stack in multiples, unlike Mirri's Guile effects.

What sort of multicolor numbers does the rest of cube GAF have going for their cubes? I have a fair sure of two color spells, but I am not sure I want to introduce any tricolor spells into mine...

I have a peasant cube. The fixing is good, but obviously not as good as rare cube. I have 5 gold cards per guild and (currently) 1 card per shard (I will almost certainly add 5 wedge cards when Khans comes out). The cube is 405 cards, so right now a little over 10% of my cube is gold.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I simply don't get why people think Delve is going to be this crazy thing. There's not enough Delve cards and Crypt exists. Crypt isn't Rest in Peace, but if Empty the Pits is a thing, you know when they have 4 black mana because there isn't a Dark Ritual.

kirblar

I simply don't get why people think Delve is going to be this crazy thing. There's not enough Delve cards and Crypt exists. Crypt isn't Rest in Peace, but if Empty the Pits is a thing, you know when they have 4 black mana because there isn't a Dark Ritual.
Because we are assuming that pushed Delve cards will exist. It only takes 1-2 of them.

Firemind

Thought Scour reprint plz.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Correct, that's why the power in the mechanic is likely to be limited to a few splashy cards, since it cannibalizes itself.

So far, my position is that ETP is not that card because its not necessarily splashy or good enough as a card that gets you three 2/2 zombies or something. Making it better than that requires doing things proactively to enable it and casting it at all requires doing things proactively to enable it.

bigkrev

Ascendancy is fine. +1/2 virtual mana + card selection is very good at that price. This is the combo that has access to Sphinx, Courser, and Jace already, but 2/3 will eventually rotate, (Jace probably still in M16.)

This also does stack in multiples, unlike Mirri's Guile effects.

It just seems so much worse than Thassa, as it's much harder to cast and has zero upside like Thassa has

Angry Grimace

Pushed all over the place? I didn't see anything pushed so far, what did I miss? Everything seems crummy.

There's 2 4/4s for 3 CMC, a (potentially) 3/2 red guy for 2 CMC, Sarkhan is pretty good, Wingmate Roc is completely underrated and I think Zurgo is actually pretty good too.

Its kind of a misconception that there are sets that have nothing but pushed cards unless you're talking about like Lorywn block Faeries or something. That's what Standard is.

Yeef

I wonder if we'll see a delve card that also fills your graveyard. Something like a 2/2 Necromancer's Assistant for 4B with Delve. Or a Hydra that mills you X when it enters with delve.

Firemind

I can't wait for people to play all those tapped lands, fetches and painlands so I can punish them with zerg rushes.
kekeke

Angry Grimace

I wonder if we'll see a delve card that also fills your graveyard. Something like a 2/2 Necromancer's Assistant for 4B with Delve. Or a Hydra that mills you X when it enters with delve.

Right now, I see no reason whatsoever to run anything other than Nighthowler and Nemesis of Mortals in a GY deck.

rexor0717

What sort of multicolor numbers does the rest of cube GAF have going for their cubes? I have a fair sure of two color spells, but I am not sure I want to introduce any tricolor spells into mine...
I'm trying to make a multicolor cube, but tricolor spells seem so hard to really fit in. They'd have to be amazing to really get a spot, but I haven't gotten there yet. I just have a bunch of 2 color cards, and try to keep my monocolored cards low on the color requirements.

kirblar

I'm trying to make a multicolor cube, but tricolor spells seem so hard to really fit in. They'd have to be amazing to really get a spot, but I haven't gotten there yet. I just have a bunch of 2 color cards, and try to keep my monocolored cards low on the color requirements.
How big a cube? Mine's 720.

rexor0717

How big a cube? Mine's 720.
I think the actual percentage of multicolor cards is around 25% in a 450 card cube. I wouldn't mind bumping it up a little higher, but some color combinations seem to be running out of good cards on the same power level as the others. I'd like to do 2 cards for each tricolor but I'm going to wait til khans is out because a lot of the enemy combo cards available are kinda underwhelming.

Also I love charms so they are pretty much auto include.

kirblar

I think the actual percentage of multicolor cards is around 25% in a 450 card cube. I wouldn't mind bumping it up a little higher, but some color combinations seem to be running out of good cards on the same power level as the others. I'd like to do 2 cards for each tricolor but I'm going to wait til khans is out because a lot of the enemy combo cards available are kinda underwhelming.

Also I love chamrs so they are pretty much auto include.
Yeah, the smaller you are, the rougher it is. I like high-variance.

Zocano

I really do hope there will be a decent delve card. Doesn't stop me from trying to make a fun BUG deck, though.

Ideally, BUG would have the most interesting array of mechanics for me but they aren't being pushed too hard sadly ):

And for some reason I have held a staunch stance at never playing white (mostly don't like the general flavor of the color). Buuuuut I might end up running a BWR if I just feel like "winning".

Angry Grimace

I really do hope there will be a decent delve card. Doesn't stop me from trying to make a fun BUG deck, though.

Ideally, BUG would have the most interesting array of mechanics for me but they aren't being pushed too hard sadly ):

And for some reason I have held a staunch stance at never playing white (mostly don't like the general flavor of the color). Buuuuut I might end up running a BWR if I just feel like "winning".
Hopefully that card is Death Rattle.

BUG decks are gonna love Nighthowler, Sidisi and Nemesis of Mortals.

rexor0717

Yeah, the smaller you are, the rougher it is. I like high-variance.
Yeah, I'd like to bump up each mono color by 15 cards and each dual by 2 cards. Unfortunately, money is my main obstacle right now in making sure I move up each color equally. But right now its pretty fun and you don't get a bunch of dead cards. My friends and I don't take it super seriously, so I'm not worried about everything being perfectly balanced.

Zocano

I'm doing Sultai just cause BUG is my favorite. Not really going in to try and win (even though I think Mardu is the strongest).

The Adder

Banned
Doesn't. Empty the Pits work better as a 1 or 2 of in Abzan than it does in Sultai?

1. Abzan has the tools to make it wrath proof. "Oh no, my army of 2/2 zombies are now 1/1 fliers"

2. Abzan doesn't care about its graveyard. So if it gets countered you're only really out one card instead of resources.

3. Abzan's all about getting counters on things. So even if you only make 3 or 4 zombiesyou're not too far from making them big individual threats.

The only benefits this card has in Sultai over Abzan are being built around getting cards into their yard and the Rakasha's getting bigger from yard exile.

kirblar

The trick is that you want a stacked graveyard, and Abzan is all about playing to the board. Might end up better in an Esper shell, if one's viable.

Angry Grimace

Doesn't. Empty the Pits work better as a 1 or 2 of in Abzan than it does in Sultai?

1. Abzan has the tools to make it wrath proof. "Oh no, my army of 2/2 zombies are now 1/1 fliers"

2. Abzan doesn't care about its graveyard. So if it gets countered you're only really out one card instead of resources.

3. Abzan's all about getting counters on things. So even if you only make 3 or 4 zombiesyou're not too far from making them big individual threats.

The only benefits this card has in Sultai over Abzan are being built around getting cards into their yard and the Rakasha's getting bigger from yard exile.

The more I look at it the more I've come to the conclusion that Empty the Pits is just bad in general. It is a mediocre to bad card in every possible deck it could go in.

I mean, if someone could give me a good argument why it is a better inclusion than Nighthowler, I have yet to hear it. There's 2/3 of the set left to be spoiled, I suppose, but still, the cards I'm seeing don't support Empty the Pits at all.

The Adder

Banned
The trick is that you want a stacked graveyard, and Abzan is all about playing to the board. Might end up better in an Esper shell, if one's viable.

I feel like, by the time you'd be thinking of playing this card to begin with, you're probably going to have a decent graveyard whatever you're playing (unless you're all permanents, no fetches, and things have gone incredibly well)

The more I look at it the more I've come to the conclusion that Empty the Pits is just bad in general. It is a mediocre to bad card in every possible deck it could go in.

I mean, if someone could give me a good argument why it is a better inclusion than Nighthowler, I have yet to hear it. There's 2/3 of the set left to be spoiled, I suppose, but still, the cards I'm seeing don't support Empty the Pits at all.

I don't entirely disagree. This is more me saying that if I had to play it in one or the other, I'd prefer to play it in Abzan than Sultai.

Angry Grimace

You know, the Clan names would have been a lot more easy to digest if they had made all of them one consonant shorter. Something about them just seems harsh off the tongue.

Angry Grimace

Mardu's the best by a mile.

They all just feel like they're one letter too long. I realize "Jeska" is already a named character within MTG, but it sounds a lot less awkward than Jeskai.

Lucario

Just bought 150 copies of Battlefield Thaumaturge, quarter each. Seems like it could be the casual breakout card from Journey into Nyx.

An-Det

Apparently my local shop is doing a No Banned List Modern tournament tomorrow, so I've been thinking about what to play if I go. My first thought was an Affinity deck using Stoneforge to find Skullclamp and go nuts (now using more artifact lands, maybe Thopter/Sword combo as a backup), but this seems kind of an obvious way to go so it may get too hated out. A second thought was to utilize Chrome Mox, Ponder, Preordain, Rite of Flame, and Seething Song for a souped-up Pyro Ascension Storm deck, but I'm not sure that's the way to go in a souped-up format since some people will be bringing stuff like Canonist maindeck.

There's a lot of awesome cards on the list, so I'm looking for some ideas on what to build and play if any of you have had experience with this before.

kirblar

Apparently my local shop is doing a No Banned List Modern tournament tomorrow, so I've been thinking about what to play if I go. My first thought was an Affinity deck using Stoneforge to find Skullclamp and go nuts (now using more artifact lands, maybe Thopter/Sword combo as a backup), but this seems kind of an obvious way to go so it may get too hated out. A second thought was to utilize Chrome Mox, Ponder, Preordain, Rite of Flame, and Seething Song for a souped-up Pyro Ascension Storm deck, but I'm not sure that's the way to go in a souped-up format since some people will be bringing stuff like Canonist maindeck.

There's a lot of awesome cards on the list, so I'm looking for some ideas on what to build and play if any of you have had experience with this before.
Just go Infect. Kills T2/3 very reliably.

Yeah, blazing shoal infect is great. You get to kill in one fell swoop, and do it with pact-o-negation backup.

Alternately, Hypergenesis is sweet. And the bane of old Extended, thopter-depths, would basically be completely legal.

Firemind

Jeskai Ascendancy is the only one that hasn't been spoiled, right? What do you guys think it'll look like?

Since all ascendancies spoiled so far does something relevant with the clan mechanic (apart from Abzan I suppose), how about:
At the beginning of your upkeep, return an instant or sorcery card at random from your graveyard to your hand.

Creatures you control have first strike (or lifelink if first strike proves to be too powerful).

bigkrev

Play PT Philadelphia Storm (Finkles list)

Angry Grimace

Jeskai Ascendancy is the only one that hasn't been spoiled, right? What do you guys think it'll look like?

Since all ascendancies spoiled so far does something relevant with the clan mechanic (apart from Abzan I suppose), how about:
At the beginning of your upkeep, return an instant or sorcery card at random from your graveyard to your hand.

Creatures you control have first strike (or lifelink if first strike proves to be too powerful).

That's mechanically difficult.

v1lla21

Hey guys I'm kind of a new player to Magic and I made a deck with Quest for Ula. I have two questions about it though. If I put a creature out with it, is the creature enchanted? And do I take off 3 counters from it if I put a creature onto the battlefield.

Hey guys I'm kind of a new player to Magic and I made a deck with Quest for Ula. I have two questions about it though. If I put a creature out with it, is the creature enchanted? And do I take off 3 counters from it if I put a creature onto the battlefield.

The creature will not be enchanted. A creature is only enchanted if it has an Aura enchantment attached to it, and it has nothing to do with how the creature entered the battlefield.

You do not take the counters off of Quest for Ula's Temple. If you had to, it would say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom