• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1lla21

The creature will not be enchanted. A creature is only enchanted if it has an Aura enchantment attached to it, and it has nothing to do with how the creature entered the battlefield.

You do not take the counters off of Quest for Ula's Temple. If you had to, it would say so.
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. Lol, my friends hate the card even more now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. Lol, my friends hate the card even more now.

Yeah the fact that you don't take the counters off is why its good, haha

Are you playing with this guy?

Image.ashx

v1lla21

Yeah the fact that you don't take the counters off is why its good, haha

Are you playing with this guy?

Image.ashx
Not yet!! I had a couple of ship breaker krakens that I added in. Which is nice and works alright until I buy lorthos. I love having the ship breakers out when Tromokratis is out too. No way to stop it.

While people are guessing what Jeskai Ascendency will be like, I'll make some other random guesses.

The following cards will be at common:
Delve Kill Spell - 4BB
Instant
Delve
Destroy target creature.

Ferocious Counter - 1UU
Instant
Ferocious - Ferocious Counter costs (1) less to cast if you control a creature with power 4 or greater.
Counter target spell.

Ferocious Fight - 1G
Sorcery
Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
Ferocious - The creature you control gets +2/+2 until end of turn if you control a creature with power 4 or greater.

Delve Growth - 2G
Instant
Delve
Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn.

Delve Draw - 2UU
Sorcery
Delve
Draw two cards, then put the top card of your library into your graveyard.

Raid Boost - R
Instant
Target creature you control gets +1/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn.
Raid - That creature gets +2/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn instead if you attacked with a creature this turn.

There will be a cycle of lands like this at common:
Plains Filter Land
Land - Plains
(T: Add W to your mana pool.)
Plains Filter Land enters the battlefield tapped.
(1), T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

v1lla21

Yeah I've been waiting on getting Kiora. I need to work on the deck more. Need more scrying. Fated infatuation is a nice card that also helps me scry and copy a creature.

duxstar

I don't know if any of you watch the SCG thing's on the weekends, but I keep them on because College football bores me and I don't have much better to do.

They just showed an hour long Esper Control vs Blue White Control matchup that ended in a tie .......... Should be used as torture for Prisoners of War; SO BORING....

Hero

I don't know if any of you watch the SCG thing's on the weekends, but I keep them on because College football bores me and I don't have much better to do.

They just showed an hour long Esper Control vs Blue White Control matchup that ended in a tie .......... Should be used as torture for Prisoners of War; SO BORING....

It's so true. I took a nap.

The Technomancer

BUT WHY IS CONTROL DEAD?

The Adder

Banned
I really want to make an Abzan humans deck come rotation. Almost certainly wouldn't be great, but I've got a play set of Sylvan Caryatids, Phalanx Leaders, and Cavalry Pegasi that are really liking the looks of Abzan Ascendancy and Hardened Scales.

Zocano

I played a lot of RTR standard.

I never once casted Sphinx's Revelation. No regrets and won't miss it.

I don't play white.
But I still need to pick up one just to have for cubes.

Hmmm...
praion said: So how much design space is there in "colorless matters" outside of Eldrazi, Mark? It might be relevant some distant day...

"Colorless matters" has a decent amount of design space. We haven’t done all that much with it.

More evidence against the third set switching to shards, like some have been guessing.
doopboopdoop said: Why did you decide to split wedges and shards into two blocks instead of doing all 10 like Ravnica?

All sorts of issues: complexity, design space, story concerns, etc.

My guess is that for Fate Reforged and "Louie", they will still keep the clan identities within their current colors, but there won't be many more three-color cards. In particular, in the past of Fate Reforged, I'll say that each clan will have two two-color pairs but will not have developed to the point where any individual can have all three colors. Then, "Louie" will have a big mono and no color theme, though each clan will still have some multicolor cards. Also, I'll guess that for the altered present of "Louie", while still remaining in the same three colors, each clan will have a different focus color. Like Jeskai will be focused in red; the detail the Planeswalker's Guide went into about the efreet of Jeskai is a bit suspect.

kirblar

Hmmm...

More evidence against the third set switching to shards, like some have been guessing.

My guess is that for Fate Reforged and "Louie", they will still keep the clan identities within their current colors, but there won't be many more three-color cards. In particular, in the past of Fate Reforged, I'll say that each clan will have two two-color pairs but will not have developed to the point where any individual can have all three colors. Then, "Louie" will have a big mono and no color theme, though each clan will still have some multicolor cards. Also, I'll guess that for the altered present of "Louie", while still remaining in the same three colors, each clan will have a different focus color. Like Jeskai will be focused in red; the detail the Planeswalker's Guide went into about the efreet of Jeskai is a bit suspect.
I believe Louie will be enemy-color based, limited/design wise, in order to help the wedges without pushing shards and to let FRF sync up correctly, but it's likely going to be Dragon/Tribal based, theme wise.

Would not be surprised to see a "Timeshifted" Dragon sheet of some sort, to get one in every pack.

Firemind

I was actually more hyped for Planeshift than Apocalypse as cool as Lightning Angel was. Shivan Wurm and Flametongue Kavu for the Fires deck, the return of Juzam Djinn, the most efficient removal ever printed.

I guess Apocalypse did have Vindicate, Desolation Angel and Spectral Lynx, though I wasn't into B/W at the time. Still not as it turns out. :lol

v1lla21

What seems to be the problems you are facing right now with the deck? Do you have any restrictions on what cards you can use?
Defending/ countering flying is my main concern. Sometimes I won't draw neither the gomazoa nor archetype of imagination and I get fucked.

I'm getting rid of Ephara since I don't need her in the deck. I'm planning on adding 2 lorthos, 1 or 2 Kioras, and maybe 2-3 inkwells. So getting rid/ replacing some creatures is fine. I'm going to get brainstorm too to help me with the draws.

The Technomancer

Defending/ countering flying is my main concern. Sometimes I won't draw neither the gomazoa nor archetype of imagination and I get fucked.

I'm getting rid of Ephara since I don't need her in the deck. I'm planning on adding 2 lorthos, 1 or 2 Kioras, and maybe 2-3 inkwells. So getting rid/ replacing some creatures is fine. I'm going to get brainstorm too to help me with the draws.

I would go to Blue/Green. If you want to run Kiora you'll need to anyway, and green gives you access to the best flying hate in the game. I'd replace the Kraken Hatchlings with some cheap, green efficiency creatures

v1lla21

I would go to Blue/Green. If you want to run Kiora you'll need to anyway, and green gives you access to the best flying hate in the game. I'd replace the Kraken Hatchlings with some cheap, green efficiency creatures
Kraken hatchling was just in there as a low cast creature to have as a blocker but there's no problem taking it out. Hmm, I might add in nulltread gargantuan into the mix.

The Technomancer

Kraken hatchling was just in there as a low cast creature to have as a blocker but there's no problem taking it out. Hmm, I might add in nulltread gargantuan into the mix.

That's actually a pretty good combo, nice. I was thinking you needed mana acceleration, but your strategy revolves all around that Quest, doesn't it?

v1lla21

That's actually a pretty good combo, nice. I was thinking you needed mana acceleration, but your strategy revolves all around that Quest, doesn't it?
Yeah pretty much, I had a couple of astral cornucopias before I knew how it worked. I would tap 4 mana and I thought the astral cornucopia would gain 4 of the color I chose, now that I know that tapping 3 creates 1, I took the card out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
scfxI63.png

Instant Duress is good.

IM CASTIN IN UR DRAW STEP

Mardu Charm, Instant WRB

• Mardu Charm deals 4 damage to target creature.
• Put two 1/1 white warrior creature tokens onto battlefield. They gain first strike until end of turn.
• Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a noncreature, nonland card from it. That player discards that card.

The three modes are Flame Slash, Raise the Alarm (with F/S until end of turn) and instant Duress (!).

Just saw that myself. That card seems so sick.

His and Her Planeswalkers

So I spent most of the weekend making proxies and testing Khans spoilers in various Superfriends decks with my girlfriend and her brother-in-law. Here's what I think the two best decks we came up with were:

Abzan Amigos Fantastico

Creatures(17):
  • 4 Elvish Mystic
  • 4 Sylvan Caryatid
  • 4 Courser of Kruphix
  • 3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
  • 2 Genesis Hydra

Planeswalkers(10):
  • 2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
  • 2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
  • 3 Nissa Worldwaker
  • 3 Elspeth Sun's Champion

Spells(9):
  • 3 Thoughtseize
  • 4 Banishing Light
  • 2 Hero's Downfall

Land(24):
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 2 Mana Confluence
  • 4 Windswept Heath
  • 3 Temple of Plenty
  • 1 Temple of Silence
  • 4 Llanowar Wastes
  • 4 Caves of Koilos
  • 4 Forest
  • 1 Plains

My deck is more about using disruption and removal to establish a more oppressive board state. Being able toe Genesis Hydra into Elspeth or Banishing Light is huge. Thoughtseize and Hero's Downfall are concessions to cards that the GW base are weak to, like sweepers and Stormbreath Dragon.

Sorin and Ajani are performing at a much higher level than I was expecting, and they turn the early dorks into real pressure. Ajani often felt like the best card in my deck when I could protect it, and Sorin pulled me out of a lot of seemingly unwinnable situations my turning moderate creatures like Nissa lands into massive life swings.

As for cards I tested that didn't make it, Not being able to cast Utter End turn two on the draw off a Mystic really hurts since the faster ramp decks can hit cards like stormbreath or nissa on turn three. Garruk was fun, but he was just worse than an extra Elspeth and having a hard cap of six on Genesis Hydra is just much safer.

Lastly, it only happens in about 1/20 games, but turn two Brimaz off a Mana Confluence is just huge. The only card in the format that can stop this play without Elvish Mystic is Chained to the Rocks, which will probably see less play without Shocks.

G/R Rush Walkers:

Creatures(24):
  • 4 Elvish Mystic
  • 4 Sylvan Caryatid
  • 4 Generator Servant
  • 4 Courser of Kruphix
  • 1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
  • 4 Stormbreath Dragon
  • 3 Genesis Hydra

Planeswalkers(10):
  • 4x Xenagos the Reveler
  • 4x Nissa Worldwaker
  • 2x Chandra Pyromaster

Spells(3):
  • 3x Crater's Claw

Land(23):
  • 4x Temple of Abandon
  • 4x Wooded Foothills
  • 1x Mana Confluence
  • 7 Mountain
  • 7 Forest

Her deck was really straighforward but really consistent. All this deck wants to do is drop bombs on turn three, Genesis Hydra to do it again, then close out the game with monstroused Stormbreaths or massive burn from Crater's Claw. It's really fast, surprisingly resilient and just frustrating to deal with. There's nothing like casting an 11/11 genesis Hydra of off Generator Servant and grabbing the Nylea to give it Haste and Trample.

As for cards we cut, we tried both Goblin Rabblemaster and Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker. Rabblemaster was insane on turn two and a bit underwhelming everywhere else so we cut it in favor of better bombs. You need to tap out to cast Sarkhan on turn three, so it's too hard to get value off of him early enough to want him. We just kept cutting copies until it ran 0. Honestly, Sarkhan feels like playing Hearthstone.

Couple tips and tricks for the new standard:
  • Don't forget that you can bile blight your own Sylvan Caryatids. Killing two of your opponent's or even one when they miss a land drop is huge.
  • Instant-speed planeswalker removal is crucial for a lot of decks. By letting Genesis Hydra's cascade resolve then killing the planeswalker in response to the Hydra lets you kill it before they can get their free value. Genesis Hydra is the third best green card after Courser and Elvish Mystic, so be ready to see it everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom