• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magical Drop V coming to PC first, consoles later

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/0...onto-pc-first-but-its-coming-to-consoles-too/

Magical Drop V, a brand new game from the Data East series of the same name, is in development. It’s one of the titles Ignition has on display at E3. Ignition negotiated out a deal with G-mode, the Japanese mobile phone company that owns many former Data East titles, to create Magical Drop V.

The game has all new artwork and four player co-op. While there is a story, it’s light compared to Magical Drop F, the PsOne game MonkeyPaw brought overseas. Magical Drop V was designed to feel more like an arcade game.

Ignition will release Magical Drop V for PC late this year. It’s coming to consoles too, but Ignition didn’t specify which system(s?) will get Magical Drop V.

Oh… one more thing about Magical Drop V, it’s going to be cheap. Less than $10 cheap.

N4Us

Nice. I've been playing MD3 a lot recently at the local arcade and it's very addictive. Didn't know there was an MD4 though.

They're making a new Magical Drop game? Woah! That'll be a must have if it's anywhere remotely as good as the Data East ones, they're great puzzle games...

Pharoah

Glad it's now official :)

Btw, we Arkedo have helped a little bit on Magical Drop V: it was of the two projects we could not disclose in 2010 before they were unveiled by publisher themselves.

Hope you'll like it, guys!
We really tried to pay tribute to MD III.

N4Us said:
Nice. I've been playing MD3 a lot recently at the local arcade and it's very addictive. Didn't know there was an MD4 though.

Same here. I had no idea a Magical Drop IV even existed.

I still have to play MD3 anytime I see it in an arcade. I adore the game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Pharoah said:

Btw, we Arkedo have helped a little bit on Magical Drop V: it was of the two projects we could not disclose in 2010 before they were unveiled by publisher themselves.

Thanks Arkedo guys ^_^ Glad to hear of the MDIII love.

It was really a shame to me, that Bust-a-Move Live on XBLA ended up feeling so... soul-less. The lack of animated characters, sound effects, and the overall charm of Bust-a-Move 2 (PSX version... not the sad US arcade version). So when one hears of a new Magical Drop, they wonder if this, too, would befall the same kind of fate...

... But from the TINY screenshots released so far, looks like they got it right! Really would like to see a Trailer soon.

The small releases mentioned around this E3 have been so much better than the big, expensive stuff. Great to see 1 more thing added to that list.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pharoah said:

Glad to hear you've gotten a contract to work on such a fun and beloved game. Hope things are going well at the studio. :)

PokéKong

Is a gif of World joyously bouncing with excitement appropriate for this board? It would accurately express my feelings right now in more ways than one.

And likewise, if she's not in, this may be a no buy...

galvatron

SUPER HYPED for this game. Also happy to hear that G-mode isn't doing it since their mobile outing was by far the worst game in the series.

XiaNaphryz said:
Isn't that just a MD reskin?

Money Exchanger has a smaller board, different timing on combos, throw speed, matching logic than Magical Drop. You can pull down more pieces mid-combo. The games play fairly differently for those reasons and that if you're not matching 500s then every match will result in a new coin on the board. Having to think about that mid-combo changes the game significantly for me.

Dwayne

I have a friend who loves data east and magical drop who played it at E3.

E3 Friend: This game is really bad :(
Me: what
Me: how do you mess up something so simple
E3 Friend: With incompetence!

:/

Hopefully it's just not finished. On the other hand, the same company is making the Toki remake, and it looks like it's going to be released a full 2 years after they announced it, which is rather pathetic all things considered.

Pharoah

Glad you friend liked it! :)
Ahem.

If you guys want to make your own first opinion, you can watch a >>>Gamespot video of the current build<<< being shown right now.

And just to be clear on what Arkedo did last year:
- we did not make the game design
- we did not create the initial art (marbles, characters and backgrounds were provided by JP)
- we did code the game until the Alpha
- we did deliver a pre-version, as requested
- our job was done in Q3 '10, other studios were supposed to take it from there

We LOVE the license (even tried to buy some Data East IP back in 2003, especially Magical Drop! True story :), so we would have loved a situation where we could take full responsibility for the final game... but this was not the deal we were proposed. Just the Alpha.

We knew from the start there would be a risk we could be judged (good or bad) for something we are not fully responsible for (final game polish is quite important, also final controls and balance, especially for MD).

But working on Magical Drop V is NOT something you say no to, especially with The World in its glorious HD version... ^^)

All the people we talked to are genuine MD fans, so we are quite confident.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Pharoah said:
If you guys want to make your own first opinion, you can watch a >>>Gamespot video of the current build<<< being shown right now.

Hey, I really liked what I saw there overall. Gameplay looks right. Empress' whip animation looked a bit... slow? And the style on her looked a bit more childish than I'd prefer (she looked more like a proper adult in the past...), but overall, very nice, especially for HD.

I like what Shane had to say about the unlockable characters, hidden characters, and the guest stars from one of Data East unreleased games. (Maybe they'll have some Characters from that Money Idol Exchange game, too?) Sounds like a great value for the price (especially if it hits console for under 10 bucks!!!)

Unrelated...

....Arkedo-person, are we suppose to know that you guys are working with Sega?!??! Did I miss something somewhere?!? Or does Shane just have a big mouth? (o_O)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
(O_O) *whistles innocently*

...so how about that World, eh?

Oh and thanks for the Vid link, I don't think anyone would have found it otherwise! So many games outta E3, how did I miss Vid of Magica- oh, yeah, PC section. That doesn't help either. :lol

Pharoah

Heh, I'm pretty much tempted to spill the beans myself too, now (looks fun!), AND RELEASE ALL ANIMATIONS OF WORLD IN FULL HD RIGHT NAO, but somehow, I'll try and stay nice and pro, even by French standards ^^

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
1249858665908.gif

Patience...

Weird.
There is a Magical Drop F (F as in Four?)available on the PSN PSone import store, I'm not sure if it was actually considered MD4 though...maybe a spin-off.

I have never played a Magical Drop game so I looked up some of the older ones and this looks to be right up my alley. Will definitely buy if there is a Steam version.

meppi

Love the Magical Drop games.
But one thing I don't understand is what Ghost Lop is doing in Magical Drop 5, and even less how in some (VS?) screens one player is playing classic Magical Drop and the other is playing Ghost Lop.

So weird.

I was personally very happy to finally be able to announce this project, and I need to clear up any confusion about the development... it was headed up by the 2D wizards at Golgoth Studio, with assistance from even more 2D experts at Arkedo. A true dream team!
I screwed up amid the E3 chaos and forgot to give Golgoth their props a few times...
mjdr_and_chk_fool_nomal401_b.jpg

Look for more info about MDV to drop soon!
mjdr_and_chk_world_nomal001.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LiquidSwords said:
I was personally very happy to finally be able to announce this project, and I need to clear up any confusion about the development... it was headed up by the 2D wizards at Golgoth Studio, with assistance from even more 2D experts at Arkedo. A true dream team!

Wohoo, HD World! :lol: She and Fool look rather nice in the new look. Can't wait to get this on my console (360), since no matter how hard I try... I never stick to PC games!

I've seen very few screenshots of this on the web; anywhere else on the net that were allowed to make previews or take video?

meppi said:
Love the Magical Drop games.
But one thing I don't understand is what Ghost Lop is doing in Magical Drop 5, and even less how in some (VS?) screens one player is playing classic Magical Drop and the other is playing Ghost Lop.

So weird.

Shane explains in that Vid above, that when you unlock special characters from differnt games, they bring that games style of play with them. So that's probably what's going on.

Sounds like a rather cool feature!

meppi

SAB CA said:
Shane explains in that Vid above, that when you unlock special characters from differnt games, they bring that games style of play with them. So that's probably what's going on.

Sounds like a rather cool feature!

Ah, I didn't watch the video since it wants me to install another Flash player. :-/

That makes sense, kinda.
Gonna be one hell of a tough job to balance such vastly different game modes being played competitively though.

One thing I'd love to see more than anything else is a new Puzzle de Pon game, but that's by Visco and Taito, so I guess that'll never happen.

galvatron

Pharoah said:
Glad you friend liked it! :)
Ahem.

$5 - $10 HD, 4-player GHOSTLOP vs MAGICAL DROP with network play?! This game is mandatory for any Neo Geo fans out there. (though I imagine balance, both real and perceived, will be a bit of an issue)

Gotta say, though...gameplay looked slow when the demo guy saved himself from the screen filling, but nowhere near as bad as Magical Drop Touch. Still, I really hope that he wasn't moving as fast as he could from left to right...or could that delay be the way they'll keep ghostlop competitive with the normally crazy speed of Magical Drop?

M-PG71C

I figure the franchise was dead after the 90s lol, damn do I love the series though. I prefer it on a console nut I will buy it for PC to support it. Looking forward to it :)

Noogy

LiquidSwords said:
I screwed up amid the E3 chaos and forgot to give Golgoth their props a few times...

Thanks for the update, Shane. I know some of the guys at Golgoth, and was happy to hear about their involvement. They've got some fantastic artists. Keep the 2D HD dream alive!

Top Bottom