• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: "We Are Listening!"

gaming_noob

Too late. Unless they can beef up their specs, they've lost their hardcores. The Xbox brand have always been known for its powerful specs. Since they've steered in another direction I honestly think they will lose the bulk of their fans that they've painstakingly earned in the last decade.

artist

Banned
Heck...how long does it take to round up answers? This is no different than the Q and A where he never answered anything and said detsils were coming....

Everyone knows, including Major Nelson, he could make one phone call and get all the details he needs....This isnt some E3 secret.....Just explain it already...
Well, it took quite some time for him to copy paste Xbox faq in his Yahoo interview.

Everybody dont got 10 button clicky thing Logitech mouses.

My guess is that at this point, Microsoft is banking on their E3 presentation and UNPRECEDENTED PARTNERSHIPS™ along with timed exclusives/DLC, etc. to counter the backlash about their used games and 'always online, always kinected' policies. They're not going to change much if anything since it would fly in the face of their console's philosophy.

They're hoping the games they show at E3 will force even the most ardent opponents to ditch the fight in favor of games, as we're already seeing with people in the Mirror's Edge 2 thread who stated they'd HAVE to give in and buy the console, principles be damned, if it was Xbone exclusive. And who can blame them? In the end, we enjoy this hobby for the games.

Unfortunately, if average consumers vote with their wallets and indicate that they'll buy anti-consumer products from Microsoft, it sets the precedent for the others to follow. In this sense, Microsoft is a cancer on the games industry.

hlhbk

Sony "we hear you"

Gaf "all those feels...so glad to make a difference...never prouder to be a gamer and part of this movement"

MS "we're listening"

Gaf "lolz Kinect / mockery"

conclusion?

MS has deservingly lost all customer good will?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
we are listening! but we can hear you a lot clearer if you're a cable subscriber, preferably comcast xfinity, with a sizeable dvr box, oh and if you get HBO of course

Sony "we hear you"

Gaf "all those feels...so glad to make a difference...never prouder to be a gamer and part of this movement"

MS "we're listening"

conclusion?

This sounds like another

Sony: We are listening

GAF: >3 you Sony

Microsoft: We are listening

GAF: STOP LYING ITS JUST MORE PR!!!

Looks like someone was thinking what i was thinking haha ^^

Both "sides" are doing this tho.

There have been a bunch of posts like

"you guys actually believe Sony? This is just PR, they are totes doing it too if Microsoft is doing it"

and tons of

"why aren't yall calling out Sony for being vauge gaiz"

Both "sides" are waving their flags high.

I think it's just silly for both. These are companies guys...not your friends they don't need defending.

WoolyNinja

If they change the policies based on community feedback then I don't know what they're doing over in MS land? Did they not expect this backlash over the (mostly) always online DRM?

Supposedly they've spent at least a year or two working on the XboxOne and all the policies that go along with it and at no point did anyone say, "what if gamers don't like this drm thing?"

Too late. Unless they can beef up their specs, they've lost their hardcores. The Xbox brand have always been known for its powerful specs. Since they've steered in another direction I honestly think they will lose the bulk of their fans that they've painstakingly earned in the last decade.

eeeeeeh not so fast.

the most powerful system never really wins and it's not like it's a Wii U (No offense).

i also think there is only so much better graphics can be better honestly.

Too late. Unless they can beef up their specs, they've lost their hardcores. The Xbox brand have always been known for its powerful specs. Since they've steered in another direction and I honestly think they will lose the bulk of their fans that they've painstakingly earned in the last decade.
As opposed to the power of Cell and Blu-Ray? The Xbox brand hasn't been about specs since the original Xbox. It's been all about the online functionality, from downloadable games to multiplayer to achievements to leaderboards to ads. And then there's Kinect. And Halo. But not specs.

Regardless, the Xbox One is pretty powerful, compared to the Wii U.

Boost

Banned
Listening and doing are two different things.

I'm sure MS is listening, but the real questions is, how much impact will they put forth on our questions. Especially ones about 'kinect', 'always on' or 'making gaming a second option'. You can kiss any of those positive answers good by.

I'm sure they'll answer all the easy questions and side step the hard ones.

If they change the policies based on community feedback then I don't know what they're doing over in MS land? Did they not expect this backlash over the (mostly) always online DRM?

Supposedly they've spent at least a year or two working on the XboxOne and all the policies that go along with it and at no point did anyone say, "what if gamers don't like this drm thing?"

I think the only thing Microsoft saw were dollar signs with all the additional money they'll make off these policies. You have to understand the people that actually liked games at MS are gone now.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sony "we hear you"

MS "we're listening"

conclusion?

Major Nelson killing at PR:

Chat Live About The New Xbox With Xbox Live Exec Larry Hryb AKA Major Nelson!

Wednesday May 22, 2013
3:59
Jason Gilbert, Yahoo News:
Hi everyone! I'm Yahoo News technology editor Jason Gilbert, and we are very excited to be joined by Larry Hryb, aka Major Nelson, for a chat about the Xbox One.
4:00
Hi Larry!
4:00

Major Nelson (Larry Hryb):
Hello! I am Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson...I work on the Xbox team that developed Xbox LIVE, Xbox 360 and now Xbox One.
4:01

Comment From Max
Larry, could you please provide some more clarity as to how users will be able to play used games on the Xbox One?
4:01

(We're going to be taking one question at a time, because Major Nelson is only one man.)
4:02

We are still months away from the launch of Xbox One & policy decisions are still being finalized.
4:04

Comment From mike
How long ago where you talking about xbox one within the xbox team?
4:05

We've been thinking about Xbox One for a few years now.
4:05

Comment From Mikayla
Could you clarify the situation regarding multiple accounts on ONE console. My boyfriend and I both have our own accounts. Will we be made to pay twice for 1 game in order for us both to use our own accounts?
4:06

As I noted earlier we're still working on some of the policies..but our goal is that it would work like it works today on Xbox 360.
4:07

Comment From Ivan
Major,why do you think gamers should buy XboxOne?
4:07

4:09

Today's gamers want access to great games...the Xbox One will have great games powered by Xbox LIVE. We've worked hard to create the ultimate All In One Console. BTW : We have a LOT more gaming news to share at E3 :)
4:10

A question a lot of you are asking: What's behind the name "Xbox One," and how did you convince the entire world that it was going to be called the Xbox 720?

I wanted to share what our new controller looks like. We're very proud of the design and what the team has done to make one of gamings best controllers even better

4:11

Xbox One because it is the ultimate all-in-one entertainment system.
4:12
As far 720 is concerned...that was a name the community came up with. We never considered that name.
4:12

Comment From Robert Stokes
Mr.Hyrb what do you believe separates the xbox one from the ps4 gaming related
4:14

Well, Xbox LIVE for one. We're very proud of the service that we've built. 48 Million people agree with us. That is just one of the things. Now, I have not had a chance to spend time with the console, so we'll have to wait until their final product launches before I can really comment.
4:14

Comment From Joe
Hi Larry. There seems to be some confusion in the media on how frequently users must connect to the internet to use the Xbox One. Will this be as frequent as once a day as rumored or will we be able to use the console for extended periods of time without an active connection? Thank you.
4:16

Answer: No. It does not have to be always connected but it does require an internet connection.
4:17

Comment From Sam
What are Microsoft doing to welcome smaller, independent developers to the Xbox One?
4:20

We're working on a plan for Xbox One is a platform that allows all creators, including those who work on games and apps, regardless of team size, funding, biz model, etc. to be a part of the future of Xbox One.
4:21

Comment From robert t
How expensive is this system gonna be
4:21

We have not announced price yet...look for details on that later this year.
4:22

Comment From Josh
Will there be headset bundled with every Xbox One?
4:23

We'll have details on accessories at E3...it's only 18 days away now.
4:23

Comment From blame space
Which areas of the Xbox One will you be focusing on at your E3 presentation?
4:24

Games. Games. GAMES :)
4:24

Comment From Shane
Hey Larry, you wanted to share with us the controller. Can you maybe list some of the awesome things that you have updated in it. Also what are the two buttons where "start" and "back" used to be. Lastly, how does the new battery pack work?
4:25

The new controller is awesome I have spent a lot of time with it. If you like the Xbox 360 controller, you'll LOVE this controller. We have made over 40 improvements in the new design.
4:26
Regarding the Start and Back buttons, they'll perform similar functions but right now we don't have final names for them yet.
4:27
The controller takes 2 AA batteries. More details at E3
4:28

Comment From Guest
How about My achievements earned on the 360, will they be visible on the one?
4:28

Yes your achievements and Gamerscore will carry over to Xbox One.
4:29

Comment From paul
hey larry, will there be any support for 3d or 4k?
4:30

Indeed. Xbox One supports BOTH 3-D and 4K.
4:30

Comment From belvedere350
Simple question. Can I opt to exclusively use the controller and NOT Kinect?
4:31

As always, that is a decision up to game creators.
4:31

Comment From Guest
What's the word on backwards compatibility with 360 games?
4:33

Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games. We designed Xbox One to play an entirely new generation of games. Games are architected to take full advantage of the state of the art processors and infinite power of the cloud.
4:36

Comment From Guest
Does the new Kinect handle smaller rooms better than the Kinect 360?
4:37

It does. It has a much wider field of view which will allow it work in smaller spaces.
4:38
a 1080p wider field of view even!
4:39

Comment From Conrad Fenech
Simple question. Do you plan to make Xbox LIVE available worldwide, or it will remain available to a number of selected countries?
4:40

Good question....we are working hard at making Xbox LIVE available in as many regions as possible. Currently we are in 41 countries.
4:42

Comment From xb1
What feedback have you received from devs about the console?
4:43

They are very excited for Xbox One and the power of Xbox LIVE that will power it…as well as the unique aspects of Kinect and SmartGlass they can tap into
4:44

Comment From Jon Dons
Do you believe you've done enough to make the hardcore gamer happy while still appealing to a wider audience?
4:45

The hardcore gaming audience has given us some great feedback, and we watch that feedback carefully. I think they’ll be happy after E3.
4:47

Comment From James O
any specific examples of how the new Xbox Live power will help games?
4:48

Indeed…the new architecture allows developers to do processing in the cloud in really really smart ways. That will results in much richer gaming experiences than ever before.
4:48
Again more at E3 :)
4:49

Thanks for all the great questions....sorry we could not get to all of them. I encourage people to look at the official Xbox One FAQ we’ve posted that may answer more questions http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

4:50

I want to thank Larry for taking time out of his day (and staying twenty minutes late) to answer all of your questions. We didn't get to nearly all of them, of course, with over 7000 questions in about 40 minutes.
4:50
Thanks for coming everyone, and we're looking forward to getting even more of those questions answered at E3.
4:51
Good night, all!
4:51

Majanew

Banned

They've lost me... for the most part. If MS gets rid of the Kinect DRM bullshit, I'll still buy an XB1. But all multiplats will be bought for my PS4 because I'm positive they'll run/look better since the PS4 is more powerful.

I really want to see BF4 running on XB1 and PS4 to see if there's any differences.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Look man, you can listen to GAF but you can't hear GAF. There's a difference man. Just because you're listening to GAF doesn't mean you're hearing GAF.

If they "clear" things with the DRM, we could say Sony will have a similar stance with it, but I hope Sony doesn't use it at all.

Will Microsoft use/pay cheering crowd on their E3 conference? it could be hilarious if they do it again.

From that transcript he said they will announce price later this year. One of the very few questions he didn't say E3 in his response.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
If they "clear" things with the DRM, we could say Sony will have a similar stance with it, but I hope Sony doesn't use it at all.

Will Microsoft use/pay cheering crowd on their E3 conference? it could be hilarious if they do it again.

I don't even know who to take seriously anymore.

I think the only thing Microsoft saw were dollar signs with all the additional money they'll make off these policies. You have to understand the people that actually liked games at MS are gone now.

Phil Spencer? Or how about the division head, Don Mattrick, who made games in his garage as a teenager? That's not a guy who likes games. I know its fun to paint Microsoft as a monolithic evil entity, but its not.

Yeah, J Allard is gone and I have issues with the advancement of some people up the Xbox ladder (like Yusuf Mehdi) but to say there aren't gamers in the Xbox division is incredibly disingenuous.

Krowley

I'm not saying they will change their mind, but what you're describing is called being out of touch, and it happens all the time in the business world. It's how we end up with things like New Coke, and Windows 8, and the PS3 price-tag.

People in high places, running companies, often have very little clue how customers will react to things. They convince themselves that their brand power and marketing will carry them through any kind of reaction. I'm sure somebody at MS with a better sense for what was going on "on the ground" warned them, but arrogance is pretty good at making people at the very top close their ears up.

I very seriously doubt that they really expected people to sour on them to this extent. I've never seen the gaming community go so negative towards a console so fast. The PS3 price news doesn't even compare, and that was vicious.

Kinda feel bad for Larry. He probably had zero input on the XB1 design choices.

kyHYMUS.jpg

emb

Maybe they're listening, but I seriously doubt whatever they end up with will be acceptable to me (and this post applies to Sony as well probably).

The fact that there is any sort of policy requiring Xbox Live's servers to be up, that means it's no good. There should be no policy to clarify, it should behave just as the 360 did.

The fact that they've floundered at every turn when questioned means, to me, that something is amiss. Where there's smoke, there's probably fire. Some kind of plan will be put into action, and I think we're so far that it can't just be revoked because we don't like it. I tweeted, like many of us here, in hopes of things being right. But I don't seriously expect anything to come of it.

The "we're listening" comments, I just take it from those that they're loosening the reigns. Maybe instead of 24 hours, one week. Maybe you can freely activate and deactivate your license to sell a game. Whatever. For me it needs to not depend on a network connection.

Kinda feel bad for Larry. He probably had zero input on the XB1 design choices.

He doesn't even know the games that are going to be revealed at e3. It's surprising how some are suggesting 'oh, let me just get Mattrick on the line and he'll tell me the specifics'.

"Right. Anything else?"

lol. Could he be anymore passive aggressive? He probably got bombarded with tweets and hate mail since the reveal.

kick51

Banned
"I'm rounding up answers!"

as if he's running around to so many different departments, finding out about the system that the company he works for is making, as if he's doing some investigative reporting. and like the answers weren't already solidified before the announcement.

Here's my take on this.

The whole industry was spreading the word that the used games were harming the ecosystem from long before the reveal of any of the two next generation consoles. I think late 2011 and surely along 2012. They wanted to minimize the impact once those politics were reveal. That actually worked because you can hear voices (Penny Arcade) that are defending this new trend and not for some kind of bias but because they have bought the story.

Then the February 20 happens and we didn't see anything from Activision (BUNGIE is still an independent studio with a publishing contract) neither EA, the two major publishers. We know from famousmortimer that the used games blocking was then still a feature that Sony was pushing back and forward. A few months later EA announces that the online pass is gone and immediately we have the XBox One reveal, with Activision and EA announcing exclusive content for the platform. A platform that minutes later would be infamous because of Microsoft executives declarations about its DRM on used games.

Well, I can't know what happened for sure, but as Inspector Finch, I have a feeling about it. I can easily imagine the publishers desperate to get their hands on a 4 billion dollars worldwide market, probably more, and convincing Microsoft that that's the salvation of the industry. At Redmond they are no fools and they know that attacking the used games is positioning hardcores, many journalists and maybe retailers against them, so what's there for them? And I can imagine again the answer of the publishers: "Do you remember all that exclusive content that you have to pay millions for it? The one that granted your system a big success over your direct competition during past generation? Guess what… now it's half price. Maybe even free. Do you like that? Just SING here… The guys at Sony were too slow and are still thinking about it. Now it's your chance to anticipate to their move."

If something like that, not exactly that, but a similar scenario happened, maybe Microsoft doesn't have the manoeuvre capability to drastically change this. That would also explain why Sony isn't jumping and shouting that they are no implementing a DRM for their used games to gain positive press. Maybe they want the favour of the big publishers too and not just a handful of indies.

But as I said, it's just a feeling.

KHarvey16

"I'm rounding up answers!"

as if he's running around to so many different departments, finding out about the system that the company he works for is making, as if he's doing some investigative reporting. and like the answers weren't already solidified before the announcement.

Oh I think it's absolutely the case that the answers weren't solidified before the announcement. This whole stumbling mess is a result of shaky foundations first and foremost.

waypoetic

Banned
"Rounding up some answers"

The PR-team has been hard at work writing up some new answers that don't give any real answers...?

Why doesn't it just work like this:

Disc in the tray: no authentication needed.
Game installed to HD w/ no disc in tray: quick authentication check.
Digital downloads: no authentication.

I've been wanting this from the get go. I don't know why online checks are needed for anything. Even if you want to tax the gamestops of the world.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Microsoft has had this vibe of cockiness and total disregard for the gaming audience ever since they introduced Kinect. It's completely soured me on the Xbox brand.

I've been a member of Xbox Live since the 2004 Halo 2 launch and will NOT be renewing this year. The last couple of years on the 360 have been awful with the Kinect emphasis and it looks like it's going to get ALOT worse on the Xbone.

Miles X

"Right. Anything else?"

lol. Could he be anymore passive aggressive? He probably got bombarded with tweets and hate mail since the reveal.

Could the guy he's replying to be anymore plain old aggressive and entitled, god he sounds like such a douche. There is pointing a point across and then there is that, I don't blame Major at all, like others said he doesn't make any decisions.

Because one copy of the game can provide the whole shebang for two people. One plays it with the disk in (no auth check) while the other plays the installed version off the HDD (online auth check succeeds).

I'm not sure why people are so surprised that disparate actions warrant disparate reactions.

After the X1 event, Microsoft's message was confused. And the parts that did shine through were not exactly all appealing.
  • confirmed an online DRM, after already seeing a furor over online DRM
  • confirmed that to lend a game to your friend they would need to pay the full price of the game
  • rumors surfaced of plans to interject themselves into the used game sales process
  • we've had no one with an inside track saying they're wavering on such matters
  • have been talking up a "special relationship" with EA, which is very much in favor of restricting used trade
  • Aaron Greenberg is apparently listening while Larry Hyrb is "rounding up answers."
Sony have also been vague in their answers admittedly, although I don't think the messaging has been as much of a shambles.
Gwp.jpg

People are reasonably skeptical that, considering even after the Orth backlash Microsoft seem to be implementing some form of online DRM, albeit probably less restrictive than originally, that the leadership is quite entrenched in their strategy and therefore this may just be handwaving and humoring the internet denizens.

While certain parts of GAF have already transitioned to defending online DRM and/or talking up the possibility of exclusives!!! as a result of using DRM.

Err. Why wouldn't digital downloads require authentication? Without some sort of check what would stop people sharing the game with the masses?

kick51

Banned
Oh I think it's absolutely the case that the answers weren't solidified before the announcement. This whole stumbling mess is a result of shaky foundations first and foremost.

I think you're being naive. This whole "stumbling mess" is intentional obfuscation. how the hell would they not have an entire 1st party used game market even designed within a few months of launch? It has to be built on certain fundamental DRM components to exist. They've got it written down somewhere and the basics were worked out a long time ago.

and all anyone has asked for are the basics

Both "sides" are doing this tho.

There have been a bunch of posts like

"you guys actually believe Sony? This is just PR, they are totes doing it too if Microsoft is doing it"

and tons of

"why aren't yall calling out Sony for being vauge gaiz"

Both "sides" are waving their flags high.

I think it's just silly for both. These are companies guys...not your friends they don't need defending.

You best re-read the forums through the first ten or so pages and see the evidence against Sony vs Microsoft.

Xbone doom threads have littered this place since the announcement. Don't try and spin it like the "teams" are "even". There's genuine hate for all things Microsoft right now.

I'd be willing to bet that even if they were to show an insane amount of games at E3, people will STILL dog them.

Should be a good E3 'round here ;)

<EDIT: hyperbolic response by me here>

not really, most people have made decisions and not really asked questions. They've drawn lines, and not tried to understand the foundations.

(Obviously not everyone and maybe not even a majority, but it feels like to me that the above is a large majority of the sentiment).

Personally, I would love for both companies to outline this crap now so we can throw our stones at a live-target instead of a shadow. As I said previously:

It's a person's own prerogative to decide when to make a decision. My own viewpoint on matters like this is to gather information and figure out the details before jumping the gun and shooting my pistol. My worry is shooting a live bullet at the wrong target, or shooting a dud at the real thing.

Gattsu25

Banned
I've always maintained that sony can be going down the same path.

They're either not going to or they are just MUCH better at sidestepping.

KHarvey16

I think you're being naive. This whole "stumbling mess" is intentional obfuscation. how the hell would they not have an entire 1st party used game market even designed within a few months of launch? It has to be built on certain fundamental DRM components to exist. They've got it written down somewhere and the basics were worked out a long time ago.

I think you assign far too much to malice and dastardly intent when incompetence and ill preparation suffices just as well. There's a saying out there that goes something along those lines.

Honestly Microsoft? Make it so you DON'T have to install every game to the HDD. This requirement is what's making the DRM necessary (or vice-versa I suppose). Include a code with every new game. That code lets you install it to you hard drive once to use without a disc. If you buy a game used or borrow one, you have to use the disc or you can buy the code to install it (say $20, I would gladly pay that on top of the used game amount to not have to switch discs). People get their used games, rentals and lending and publishers get a chunk from the money from code sales.

Top Bottom