• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Why I’m Excited about Online Gaming with Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recall

It is ok that I'm not taking sides?

I call out all obvious PR and marketing regardless of brand? Is this ok or must I pick a side in this fake war?

I disagree, writing an article with the advantages of the online platform is completely different than writing an article praising your own game.

isn't major nelson essentially the "big guy" of the online part of MS? He's praising his domain (eventhoughheproabblydidnothinginregardstoit)

There's a way to frame PR to not offend people or make people skeptical. Don't make it personal. Make it, "why you should be excited about xbox," not "why I (an employee of MS) am excited for xbox."

It isn't the article that people were posting about. It was the author. The exact same article written by Cerny with the word Sony switched in for Microsoft would be met completely differently.

I knew Sprinkle Bear was going to be trouble

This is all Sprinkle Bear's fault.

Minions

Sure:

Not a single negative post on the front page had anything to do with the article, or its contents. They were either bashing MN or just shitposting because they can get away with it. For a forum dedicated to industry discussion it's really hard to do any discussing in Microsoft threads.

Disagree;
nelson said:
New Achievements System
Achievements have always added that extra layer of accomplishment, challenge and reward for Xbox Live members, and we’re excited to continue that tradition on Xbox One. We’ve introduced a new kind of Achievement called a Challenge, where players and friends can work to accomplish time-based objectives resulting in winning cool free stuff. Developers can also now continue to grow and expand their achievements over time, so you have more opportunities to build up your score without being limited to the achievements on the disk. Don’t forget, your Gamerscore will also carry over from Xbox 360.

They are adding achievements for TV related stuff; as previously announced.

Marleyman

Banned
S¡mon;74257939 said:
No, Cerny isn't an employee of Sony.

So if someone expresses his/her love for Cerny through Cerny gifs, that person could still be an Xbox fanboy.

@MarkCernyPS4 - lead architect of Playstation 4. Who does he work for then? He is making Knack for free?

ultron87

S¡mon;74257939 said:
No, Cerny isn't an employee of Sony.

So if someone expresses his/her love for Cerny through Cerny gifs, that person could still be an Xbox fanboy.

Cerny is a consultant, I'm not sure on the specifics if he is still considered a straightforward company employee of Sony or SCE since he doesn't manage any employees directly and the such.

Even if he isn't officially on the Sony books as an employee he is making bank from them as a consultant and has a large stake in the success of the PS4. He has just as many biases as Major Nelson.

So I just signed up as an enforcer, and did my allotments per day. Pretty nice tool. Got a few laugh out of a couple of gamertags, and placed a vote against a total of 7 people who were definitely abusing the CoC with their name.

This person isn't even signed in.
Thats just the demo image that they show off in the tutorial process to show you how to operate the system. Its not an actual person enforcing someone else.

I like the enforcement initiative, but I have this sinking feeling it won't work as intended and will be abused.
Trying to get back on topic...
This seems like it could be abused by sore losers.
9415145611_e785afb1a3.jpg
You have to be an XBL Ambassador to get into it, and you only have a set number of votes per day (50 something). In addition, it pulls up randomly from people who have already been reported over xbox live. So unless you were extremely lucky it would be almost impossible to report someone on the box then log into the website to escalate the enforcement.

Also at this point in time its only gamertags, but I'm assuming they will add in Bios and Mottos and maybe hacked avatars later. Also from my statistics, there is a pretty base outline so they will most likely be able to tell if your just going in and voting against everyone (at which point they would likely revoke your access or your ambassadorship).

The way they explained it in the tutorials was that you place votes against people. The people with the most votes get escalated to the actual enforcement team for action. The people who don't get set free.

udiie

What? Have you seen the "Have you seen Titanfall?" interview?

I think it's a little bold of you to say that since there are a lot of videos at e3 that show this.

He's not necessarily coming across as putting his audience down though, as we saw, many policies weren't necessarily finalized. It was like watching an interview for screenshots of a new game still in early development. The specificity of the questions was sure to get him to trip up with answers and to me he just came across as if he wanted people to have enthusiasm for the thing.
I've seen the Titanfall interview too. Maybe not one of his proudest moments but he was instantly going to be subjected to hell once he agreed to answer questions from Reddit of all places. He just didnt have a lot of answers.

bigmf

The new stuff in achievements looks pretty cool, The DVR stuff would entertain me for a little while, but some of it is crap - the custom skins would make my videos stand out more - just like everyone else's. I'm maybe a pessimist, but the reputation thing will probably end up with everyone having a negative rep. I figure the signal-to-noise ratio is going to tank the thing.

They should change the Major's job-title to "High Impact Buzzword Facilitator."

OrbitScant

Neo Member
Enforcement united? Jesus that sounds like a totalitarian regime. Surely they could have chosen something less intimidating.

bj00rn_

Banned
The reaction to this is ridiculous. I bet most haven't even bothered to click on the link and read the damn thing. He is giving facts and some things that I haven't even heard of; it is informative and nothing else.

The knee jerk "XBOX LOL!" in every conceivable Xbox related story is a shame. Neogaf is in practise broken these days.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It isn't the article that people were posting about. It was the author. The exact same article written by Cerny with the word Sony switched in for Microsoft would be met completely differently.

Because they both deserve the same level of respect. Major Nelson is equal to some blogger on the playstation blog.

Imagine Grace Chen talking up the PS4 PS Store. She would be met with great skepticism and ribbing.

rvy

Banned
I disagree, writing an article with the advantages of the online platform is completely different than writing an article praising your own game.

No, it isn't. Larry works for Microsoft, he's an employee of them, so him making an article detailing the advantages of the Xbox One or why he's excited about it is in no way different from Cerny writing an article about the advantages of Knack and why he's excited about it.

entremet

I predicted a lot of shit posts and trolls from people who haven't read the article. he is just providing information, I'm not sure what people are expecting.

people complained that MS didn't explain their services well enough, then when they do, he's a corporate shill?

he works for MS. he doesn't hide that. he's giving information about the xbox one. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Yep. It's horrible. Oh well.

I know one way that would make it better. Allowing all users on a console to go online if there's a primary XBL account linked to the console.

They'd never do this though.

Tom_Cody

Sure:

Not a single negative post on the front page had anything to do with the article, or its contents. They were either bashing MN or just shitposting because they can get away with it. For a forum dedicated to industry discussion it's really hard to do any discussing in Microsoft threads.
I don't know what more to say.

I read the first page and I see people reacting to the false conceit of the presentation of the article (I never knew marketing departments could express emotion!, etc). That doesn't describe every post you quoted but that is the overall impression I got from the negative posts in this thread.

Edit: Btw, just wanted to apologize for derailing this thread further. There is certainly thread-worthy stuff to discuss here.

@MarkCernyPS4 - lead architect of Playstation 4. Who does he work for then? He is making Knack for free?
That's not his Twitter, it's a fake. He's a consultant, and CEO of Cerny Games. He said he likes not being a Sony employee because it means that he doesn't have to worry about having people to be responsible for.

m23

I predicted a lot of shit posts and trolls from people who haven't read the article. he is just providing information, I'm not sure what people are expecting.

people complained that MS didn't explain their services well enough, then when they do, he's a corporate shill?

he works for MS. he doesn't hide that. he's giving information about the xbox one. I don't see anything wrong with this.

I can't believe people don't see the difference between Herb and Cerny.

Herb is a mouthpiece, that's his job. That's all he does. He exists to promote and sell things to people. He is dishonest, disingenuous, and has a penchant for stretching the truth and even lying to make this happen.

Cerny is a developer, he builds games and in this recent case was the architect of the ps4. When he speaks he is clear about his intentions and comes off genuine. He doesn't just exist to sell you the product, he exists to create the product and inform you and developers about it.

Racer1977

Major Nelson's reason for being seems to be to blur the line between corporate and media.

He pushes the undiluted MS message in easy to digest articles and podcasts, bypassing the media, who will apply critical thinking to what they are being told (or at least they should).

For informed gamers we know the score, I just find the whole thing disingenuous and patronising.

GamerTime

Banned

Herb is a mouthpiece, that's his job. That's all he does. He exists to promote and sell things to people. He is dishonest, disingenuous, and has a penchant for stretching the truth and even lying to make this happen.

Cerny is a developer, he builds games and in this recent case was the architect of the ps4. When he speaks he is clear about his intentions and comes off genuine. He doesn't just exist to sell you the product, he exists to create the product and inform you and developers about it.

THIS!

Raymo

He's not necessarily coming across as putting his audience down though, as we saw, many policies weren't necessarily finalized. It was like watching an interview for screenshots of a new game still in early development. The specificity of the questions was sure to get him to trip up with answers and to me he just came across as if he wanted people to have enthusiasm for the thing.
I've seen the Titanfall interview too. Maybe not one of his proudest moments but he was instantly going to be subjected to hell once he agreed to answer questions from Reddit of all places. He just didnt have a lot of answers.

I generally agree, but when I made my original comment I was really comparing Cerny to microsoft as a whole. They always sound like they are using some type of PR line. It never comes across as a direct conversation. Major Nelson might just be bad at interviews. During the Conan interview, the first two things he could think of to sell the XBO were two small gimmicks: Haptic feed back in the triggers and the Kinect can sense your heartbeat. Bravo.

I know he's just doing his job, so I don't blame him.

Nailed it.

Because they both deserve the same level of respect. Major Nelson is equal to some blogger on the playstation blog.

Imagine Grace Chen talking up the PS4 PS Store. She would be met with great skepticism and ribbing.

It would be a 100+ page thread if Grace ever did this.

ultron87

That's not his Twitter, it's a fake. He's a consultant, and CEO of Cerny Games. He said he likes not being a Sony employee because it means that he doesn't have to worry about having people to be responsible for.

He's still getting a bunch of money from them so it doesn't actually matter what his title or official role in the organization is.

I think it's the personal tone that makes it so corny.

Tell me why I should be excited. Don't pretend that you're excited.

But he really is, he's probably played more games than a majority of the faces of a lot of these companies. I think he's obviously got a horse in the race, but you can still be pretty enthusiastic about something AND work for the company.

He's always had pretty good communication with fans and his role as a 'public figure' definitely has grown over the past couple years but the 'hate' he receives is just fucking idiotic.

Wow. I guess Cerny isn't there to sell me anything. Are you serious? You don't think Cerny is trying to sell us the PS4 which he helped design? OK. Herb is of course a mouthpiece, EVERY person that works for these companies is in one way or another, but he actually enjoys the games. If he likes something, he's usually played it or is actually excited.

Minions

I don't know what more to say.

I read the first page and I see people reacting to the false conceit of the presentation of the article (I never knew marketing departments could express emotion!, etc). That doesn't describe every post you quoted but that is the overall impression I got from the negative posts in this thread.

I think it is more of the way it is presented; if he had titled the post New and Upcoming features of the Xbox One; It would have likely had a better response. The way it is presented is as an opinion piece. Perhaps he is genuinely excited about these features. Based on the past few months I find it hard to take his enthusiasm seriously. Really he only wrote the first couple paragraphs and then pasted a Microsoft PR page;

I guess I just have become more disappointed as time has gone on. I've had very few reason's to use my 360 as of late.

see5harp

I've seen this exact tidbit of PR mentioned several times. Who exactly is waiting for a match for more than a few seconds to a minute, let alone long enough to get back to a movie/TV. I can't think of any game that wasn't totally dead where this would be even remotely useful.

EDIT: I should mention, most of this looks good, this specific point keeps irritating me though.

Complete bullshit. 99% of 5+ year old games not called COD or Halo have terrible populations. It will be extremely nice when you are trying to play a game of Ticket 2 Ride or You Don't Know Jack on a random Wednesday afternoon.

HyperV

Banned
What did people expect?

To say he's NOT excited about online gaming on XB1?

If the thread title was 'Mark Cerny: Why I'm Excited about Online Gaming on PS4', I suspect half the jokers in here would be lapping up every word.

Its called PR. Every company does it.

This thread has me very confused on whats ban worthy. Is it ban worthy to constantly shit on something and troll in every article related to it regardless of the articles content? Is it ban worthy to point out the same people who derail threads and that they should be banned? To the TOS!

On topic though this was an informative post I didn't know some of these things and I consider myself pretty informed. The nay sayers are just haters and everyone should just Report/Block.

tfur

Oh they see it. I think that's what ruffles so many feathers.

rvy

Banned
But he really is, he's probably played more games than a majority of the faces of a lot of these companies. I think he's obviously got a horse in the race, but you can still be pretty enthusiastic about something AND work for the company.

He's always had pretty good communication with fans and his role as a 'public figure' definitely has grown over the past couple years but the 'hate' he receives is just fucking idiotic.

He gets hate because the people who pay him put him in a position to get hate.
Larry once said that they couldn't just flip a switch and turn the Xbox One into an offline console, it was designed to be online. Yet, here we are.

People hate bullshit. This isn't news.

derFeef

Do people even read the thread or just respond to the headline? Embarrasing and tiresome - some topics are just not discussable on gaf anymore I fear :/

Minions

What did people expect?

To say he's NOT excited about online gaming on XB1?

If the thread title was 'Mark Cerny: Why I'm Excited about Online Gaming on PS4', I suspect half the jokers in here would be lapping up every word.

Its called PR. Every company does it.

Well if Cerny said it; it would like be reported by someone else in that fashion, rather than Cerny himself making a blog post. If would seem more genuine if instead of pasting Microsoft PR; he went in depth with why he feels excited about certain features and how they improve over the current set of features. As it stands I don't think he has any of that information and was sent out to release this snippet.

Seanspeed

Banned
He gets a check from Sony and has largely been the voice for things PS4. They have different jobs but the main point is the same.

Unbelievable how many people are trying to dismiss the comparison.

FranXico

Maybe this kind of discussion (properly toned) belongs in another thread, but the personal relation to gamers approach that MS tried to build through Major Nelson actually is a double edged sword.

When people are satisfied with the product and the direction of XBox, they will reflect that well being towards the Major Nelson character that MS tried to personify XBox with.

However, when the direction taken by MS was bad, and the product looked like it was going to evolve in a bad way, people naturally projected that negativity and resentment toward the target through which they had a personal relation with the brand.

The "love" or "hate" he receives is just a side effect of this long-lasting marketing aspect of the XBox brand. It shouldn't surprise anyone.

gaming_noob

Correct analysis. MS really needs someone like Cerny, but first they need to ditch the nonsense and start being honest to their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom