• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Why I’m Excited about Online Gaming with Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
So, on-topic, it looks like XB1 is going to have community mods. That's both interesting and a little terrifying. I gather MMOs do this quite a bit. does it work, or is it always a disaster?

Marleyman

Banned
That's not his Twitter, it's a fake. He's a consultant, and CEO of Cerny Games. He said he likes not being a Sony employee because it means that he doesn't have to worry about having people to be responsible for.

Don't diminish his role w/ Sony; he has spoken for them, been on Jimmy Fallon for them...he is their mothpiece. They haven't used anyone else in that role really, so he has been it.

He gets hate because the people who pay him put him in a position to get hate.
Larry once said that they couldn't just flip a switch and turn the Xbox One into an offline console, it was designed to be online. Yet, here we are.

People hate bullshit. This isn't news.

He gets information, it was wrong. I've seen plenty of people say a ton of shit that was wrong. Didn't Sony say it wouldn't ever charge for MP?

Either way, it's a GAF thread about MS, shouldn't have expected any less.

shandy706

A shill would be someone like you, only you aren't even being paid for it. Major Nelson's checks are actually paid by MS.

So you're saying Sony is paying people on Gaf to attack Microsoft threads?

...or you're saying they're shills that aren't getting paid?

I can't believe people don't see the difference between Herb and Cerny.

Herb is a mouthpiece, that's his job. That's all he does. He exists to promote and sell things to people. He is dishonest, disingenuous, and has a penchant for stretching the truth and even lying to make this happen.

Cerny is a developer, he builds games and in this recent case was the architect of the ps4. When he speaks he is clear about his intentions and comes off genuine. He doesn't just exist to sell you the product, he exists to create the product and inform you and developers about it.

this x1000 people who compare cerny with this tool are crazy

Marleyman

Banned
So, on-topic, it looks like XB1 is going to have community mods. That's both interesting and a little terrifying. I gather MMOs do this quite a bit. does it work, or is it always a disaster?

It seems that way. I never dealt w/ an MMO but I can see why it would be worrisome. They, the com mods, are probably watched and can be reported as well.

derFeef

I don't think it's really comparable, as CM's for mmos have a much bigger role. But even then, it looks like they don't have much control and can easily be switched out.

this x1000 people who compare cerny with this tool are crazy

Not comparing persons, but comparing their roles to the public. Keep being offensive though, hope it helps.

HAHA, EDIT: Totally misread that and thought it was community BASED mods for games and such (I read that they will be allowing these).

I really hope that their exclusion filter works as well as they say. Online communities are shit these days.

On the plus side it does look like reputation scores themselves are scored for accuracy, so each mod will end up with a sliding scale of reliability. Also seems like one or even a few people can't really force an account to take a nosedive or lose their gamertag. And it also seems like all the community mods themselves are just a check to balance the algorithms already running and presumably doing the lionshare of the work.

Like the reputation thread this all sounds positive in theory, but the devil will be in the tuning. This is a long term proposition they're getting into, and its going to be a continually moving target. It could show some real dividends down the line though.

But its hard for me to fathom a system to regulate so many accounts that isn't mostly automated with some human oversight.

FranXico

This XBL new community moderation feature intrigues me.

Experience with any online self-moderation tells me that long term, elitism among the community settles in, and abuses happen. How is Microsoft going to prevent that?

rvy

Banned
He gets information, it was wrong. I've seen plenty of people say a ton of shit that was wrong. Didn't Sony say it wouldn't ever charge for MP?

Either way, it's a GAF thread about MS, shouldn't have expected any less.

Sure, but here's the deal, Sony doesn't have a face like Microsoft does. Larry acts, and has been acting for years, as the middleman between corporate Microsoft and its consumers in the gaming side. So, naturally, people will sling shit at him when he gets information that turns out to be bogus and when his employer has managed to anger millions of consumers with their new console and policies.

Hi my name is major Nelson,
I would like to tell you why I love Xbox One Online ....

<open outlook email from Microsoft PR>
<Ctrl A>
<Ctrl C>

<switch to browser>
<Ctrl V>

xxx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

and that is why I love the new Xbox one Online system

--Major Nelson

KYZR

Disagree;

They are adding achievements for TV related stuff; as previously announced.

True, but achievements for TV and other media/app stuff do not earn you gamer score. They will be segregating everything else from games, so any and all achievement hunters have naught to fear but those blasted multiplayer achievements.

GamerTime

Banned
Wow. I guess Cerny isn't there to sell me anything. Are you serious? You don't think Cerny is trying to sell us the PS4 which he helped design? OK. Herb is of course a mouthpiece, EVERY person that works for these companies is in one way or another, but he actually enjoys the games. If he likes something, he's usually played it or is actually excited.

Mark Cerny isn't all about just selling a system and Sony's policies like Major Nelson is. Mark Cerny actually gives crystal clear info, and the reasons why he designed the PS4 the way he did, or why he's making an everybody game.

They both have products to push, but Mark Cerny doesn't come off as a salesman like Major Nelson does. Cerny isn't fake, and comes off far more genuine. Major Nelson will play both sides of the fence (Before and after 180) and feed you a bunch of bullshit that paints both sides as golden.

I don't know anyone who trusts what Major Nelson has to say, but I haven't heard anyone say Mark Cerny is untrustworthy, and comes of fake like Major Nelson definately does. So, one has earned respect, and the other gets made fun of for being the joke that he's become

Can you guess who gets the Joke award?

Don't diminish his role w/ Sony; he has spoken for them, been on Jimmy Fallon for them...he is their mothpiece. They haven't used anyone else in that role really, so he has been it.
He has spoke about things he is directly involved in, unlike Larry. Do you think Major Nelson was involved in the making of the Xbox One hardware?

I would rather have Major Nelson demonstrate cool shit instead of say why he likes it. I know he likes it, he works for MS for Christ's sake.

Sure, but here's the deal, Sony doesn't have a face like Microsoft does. Larry acts, and has been acting for years, as the middleman between corporate Microsoft and its consumers in the gaming side. So, naturally, people will sling shit at him when he gets information that turns out to be bogus and when his employer has managed to anger millions of consumers with their new console and policies.

Good point. For that topic. But for this article none of that is relevant. You can only work with the news you have.

Mark Cerny isn't all about just selling a system and Sony's policies like Major Nelson is. Mark Cerny actually gives crystal clear info, and the reasons why he designed the PS4 the way he did, or why he's making an everybody game.

They both have products to push, but Mark Cerny doesn't come off as a salesman like Major Nelson does. Cerny isn't fake, and comes off far more genuine. Major Nelson will play both sides of the fence (Before and after 180) and feed you a bunch of bullshit that paints both sides as golden.

I don't know anyone who trusts what Major Nelson has to say, but I haven't heard anyone say Mark Cerny is untrustworthy, and comes of fake like Major Nelson definately does. So, one has earned respect, and the other gets made fun of for being the joke that he's become

Really? His entire PS4 presentation felt like a sales pitch to me. You seem like you drank Kool Aid there. Cerny isn't in a position to do what Nelson does, Sony doesn't make him ... in fact Sony doesn't really have a talking head at this point because they don't have a PR nightmare to correct.

I'm not saying MS hasn't stumbles but if you've followed MN this generation he's more than just a paid mouthpiece, he actually enjoys a majority of the shit he talks about.

Wow. I guess Cerny isn't there to sell me anything. Are you serious? You don't think Cerny is trying to sell us the PS4 which he helped design? OK. Herb is of course a mouthpiece, EVERY person that works for these companies is in one way or another, but he actually enjoys the games. If he likes something, he's usually played it or is actually excited.

I didn't say that Cerny wasn't there to sell you something. I said that wasn't his primary role.

Minions

True, but achievements for TV and other media/app stuff do not earn you gamer score. They will be segregating everything else from games, so any and all achievement hunters have naught to fear but those blasted multiplayer achievements.

Sure; but why add them to begin with. What is the purpose of achievements for watching 30 movies; or whatever? I guess they could give you one for every single movie you watch, if you wanted to show off how much a movie buff you are, but it still seems like a weird addition.

Klocker

S¡mon;74241219 said:
It would have been a more believable 'personal blog post' if it didn't look like copied marketing material.

who gives a shit. It's giving us information...

people are so negative and jaded to any Xbox related info

Marleyman

Banned
He has spoke about things he is directly involved in, unlike Larry. Do you think Major Nelson was involved in the making of the Xbox One hardware?

He was directly involved in making the PS4 and has went on Fallon to hype the shit out of it. He is the go to because there isn't anyone else doing it for Sony like Nelson. Nelson is paid to do what he does; Cerny was paid to be the lead for the PS4 so why is he on Fallon hyping the PS4?

derFeef

Sure; but why add them to begin with. What is the purpose of achievements for watching 30 movies; or whatever? I guess they could give you one for every single movie you watch, if you wanted to show off how much a movie buff you are, but it still seems like a weird addition.

You know foursquare? Same thing.... People always love to compare and show off (not me mind you) - it's a non-offensive addition.

cakefoo

Major Nelson seems like the cliche old guy gamer who tries too hard to be an equal to his fanbase. It's like he's clinically studying us and cloning our behavior.

So you're saying Cerny is better at feeding you PR?

He was directly involved in making the PS4 and has went on Fallon to hype the shit out of it. He is the go to because there isn't anyone else doing it for Sony like Nelson. Nelson is paid to do what he does; Cerny was paid to be the lead for the PS4 so why is he on Fallon hyping the PS4?

I don't think Sony intended for Cerny to be the one promoting the console like he has been. They probably saw that he had a very warm reception at the reveal and went from there.

Cerny went on Fallon because he is the Director for Knack. He isn't a PR mouthpiece like Major Nelson, he isn't told what to say.

RedAssedApe

Banned
S¡mon;74241219 said:
It would have been a more believable 'personal blog post' if it didn't look like copied marketing material.

Its not really a personal blog post though...its cross posted on Xbox.com. Major Nelson's "blog" has never really been a personal blog. Its always news about things Xbox/XBL related.

see5harp

They do it for the same reason they added achievements to games. To get people more and more invested in the platform. It's the same reason Steam and Sony added achievements/badges whatever else. If you know the movie costs the same amount of money on iOS/xbox/ps4, but you've got some sort of goal that will unlock some dumb digital doo dad for your xbox account why wouldn't you rent the movie on xbox? I would say the same thing to a gamer who wants to watch a movie but would rather play a game with his friends. Some of the multitasking and matchmaking stuff might make this practice easier, which might be cool,

Let's not take a shit on the guy for doing his job.... I'm not mad at him.. He has to do what he has to do... I just don't buy any shit Microsoft is shoveling.

godddd, how did they fuck up this bad where everything coming out of Microsoft regarding the xbone is instantly being torn to pieces.

And to think, I was seriously contemplating jumping ship from the PS3 before all the announcements.. All they had to do is not fuck up and they would have had my $$$...

Krakn3Dfx

Yes, Cerny is acting in the capacity of spokesman right now, just like Nelson, but comparing Major Nelson to Mark Cerny is like comparing Ronald McDonald to John Carmack. Nelson is a talking head without the knowledge or experience to back up anything, Cerny is an actual hardware architect and software designer.

Also, one of them needs a nickname to get attention, one of them just needs to use their own name.

Marleyman

Banned
I don't think Sony intended for Cerny to be the one promoting the console like he has been. They probably saw that he had a very warm reception at the reveal and went from there.

What, did the Major Nelson equivalent get violently ill? They read these message boards and saw that the fanboys love them some Cerny and ran with it. They surely intended it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Its not really a personal blog post though...its cross posted on Xbox.com. Major Nelson's "blog" has never really been a personal blog. Its always news about things Xbox/XBL related.

Framing it to sound like it's his personal opinion is where people are taking issue.

Why does MS still employ this guy? If anything he has further damaged Xbone's reputation by creating a ton of embarassing memes during the reveal fiasco. Just thinking of the Angry Joe interview makes me cringe.

bj00rn_

Banned
Major Nelson seems like the cliche old guy gamer who tries too hard to be an equal to his fanbase. It's like he's clinically studying us and cloning our behavior.

"Our behaviour".. So you and your "demographics" are saying that no one over a certain age are allowed to be involved in gaming, and especially not without being ridiculed?

Marleyman

Banned
Cerny went on Fallon because he is the Director for Knack. He isn't a PR mouthpiece like Major Nelson, he isn't told what to say.

735.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom