• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majoras Mask 3D - Review Thread

Maximo

Majora's Mask is one of the most "mature" games I've ever played. The themes it deals with are dark as hell.

Depressing old thread here
Daaaaaammm Yeah some of the themes went completely over my head as a kid and brushed them off, On my second playthrough Im definitely going to enjoy playing it more as I can recognise these more Darker themes. Its something I always loved about MM its such a Dark and Mature game for what some consider *Kiddy*.

Neo Saf

Neo Member
Honestly, as far as the ice platforms in the Great Bay temple go - I think I understand why that change was made. I used to have trouble misjudging where to place them to line up my jumps and rolls. It's unfortunate that that kind of freeform physical puzzle has been taken out, but it was definitely a kind of janky situation and hard to intuit in the original, so it's a wash.

Rich!

Just ordered my copy from the game collection, £29! Bargain

Selected PayPal as an option, hopefully it will go through fine.

Timeaisis

So question to all you:

Does MM 3D take advantage of New 3DS features other than the analog nub? Trying to decide if I want to pick up a New 3DS the same day, and if I'd be missing anything big if I played it on my regular XL.

Impala26

So question to all you:

Does MM 3D take advantage of New 3DS features other than the analog nub? Trying to decide if I want to pick up a New 3DS the same day, and if I'd be missing anything big if I played it on my regular XL.

Oh thank God someone else asked this because I was pondering the exact same thing but didn't want to start a whole new thread topic about it.

I have same basic question--is it worth it for the upgrade, or if I'm just basically looking for the extra stick should I just get the $30 USD Circle Pad Pro?

TheMoon

So question to all you:

No, the C-Stick is the only N3DS enhancement. And even with that, it also supports the CPP on old 3DSes.

Oh thank God someone else asked this because I was pondering the exact same thing but didn't want to start a whole new thread topic about it.

I have same basic question--is it worth it for the upgrade, or if I'm just basically looking for the extra stick should I just get the $30 USD Circle Pad Pro?

Fucking now way in hell should you pay $30 for a Circle Pad Pro. Are you nuts!

If you are asking about in-game performance, I have not noticed anything from playing the demo version on both systems.

Impala26

No, the C-Stick is the only N3DS enhancement. And even with that, it also supports the CPP on old 3DSes.

Fucking now way in hell should you pay $30 for a Circle Pad Pro. Are you nuts!

Good to know.

Actually between $25-$35 USD seems to be what CPP's are pulling on ebay after I just checked.

Anth0ny

Amazon.com still says : Arriving Tue, Feb 24 - Tue, Mar 3

Not that I'm in a rush to play a 15 year old game again, but that's kinda shitty.

Rich!

Really hoping that my copy of MM3D from The Game Collection ships on Tuesday...would really like it on Wednesday!

I hear they have a habit of shipping games out early, which would be lovely.

Anth0ny

I'm thinking of doing a 3 heart run, no inverted song of time, just to prove that it's possible. And not hard at all. As long as you use song of time and owl statues at the beginning of each dungeon.

Rich!

Yea they do tend to ship on Tuesdays.

Sweeeeet.

Gonna be good. Been waiting five years for this. Restricted myself from replaying MM right from the second OOT3D was announced in 2010 and a MM remaster became a possibility in my mind.

Of course I had ten years of playing it religiously before that though

Draconian

Is anybody replaying Ocarina of Time 3D before this comes out? I thought about it, but have a bit too much on my plate right now. I'm going to try to do another runthrough before Zelda U comes out at the end of the year though.

Rich!

Is anybody replaying Ocarina of Time 3D before this comes out? I thought about it, but have a bit too much on my plate right now. I'm going to try to do another runthrough before Zelda U comes out at the end of the year though.

Literally just finished a three heart run through on OOT3D on my New 3DS XL. Beat Ganon yesterday for the millionth time.

Ready for MM3D now! Just a few more days!

Draconian

Literally just finished a three heart run through on OOT3D on my New 3DS XL. Beat Ganon yesterday for the millionth time.

Ready for MM3D now! Just a few more days!

That's awesome! I haven't decided if I want to tackle the Master Quest or do a 100% run when I come back to it.

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
I was just playing the original again in order to compare it with the new one. I completely forgot how happy this game makes me while I'm playing, I seriously smile every time one of the characters says something. Also every time Link looks at the screen and shrugs his shoulders kills me, I forgot how charming this game is...which is weird since I shouldn't forget things from my favorite game of all time xD

Rich!

Was charged for my order with the game collection yesterday afternoon, looks like its definitely shipping today...

I shall have the game tomorrow! Awwww yisss

Providing the royal mail don't fuck it all up of course

Hitchhy

Neo Member
That might be a weird thing to say about a Zelda game, but every time I play the game I am actually looking forward to the sidequests not the dungeons.
Before beating the game I will most likely complete all/most of the sidequests to get all the masks, not because I am a completionist, but because I just don't have the feeling that I actually "finished" the game otherwise.

Learning everything about the world and the people was learning about their struggles/problems and feeling their pain. This contributed a lot to the depressing atmosphere of the game.

My biggest problem with the remake is the new bomber notebook mechanic.
Removing the need to actually understand the connection between everyone in that world and turning the sidequests into simple checklists would devalue them in a major way.
(Haven't seen an actual example of getting those notebook hints yet though, so I might overestimate the impact.)

IMO changing some of the mechanics for the 3DS version was necessary though, not only because it's a handheld version, but also because some things like waiting for a 2am event was boring and would have been unacceptable for a handheld game.

That being said, Majoras Mask is probably still my favourite game of all time and part of the joy of this remake is to show it to people who might have dropped it quickly because of the time mechanics or just heard from a lot of people that it is "not as great as OoT, so not worth playing" etc, so it was probably wise to tweak those mechanics in particular.

samn

Yesssss

My copy of MM3D has been dispatched! I'll have it tomorrow. Amazing.

Nice one :)

That might be a weird thing to say about a Zelda game, but every time I play the game I am actually looking forward to the sidequests not the dungeons.

I feel that way about every Zelda game... I have a very low threshold for intensity in games so I can't play dungeons for very long at a time. Too much stress.

Do we have any clue about how Majora's Mask 3d plays on n3DS compared to old 3DS? Framerate/textures? (MH4U gets better in regards of both)

Rich!

Do we have any clue about how Majora's Mask 3d plays on n3DS compared to old 3DS? Framerate/textures? (MH4U gets better in regards of both)

Got my copy today. Looks identical on my N3DS to on my OG 3DS.

Also yes, the game collection are fucking amazing. £29 and I got the game two days before release. Unreal.

Not liking the new swimming system or that the game pauses whenever a new character or rumor is added to the notebook doesn't make you a purist.

True. I never played through the original, and those changes do not appeal to me. Especially from the sounds of the notebook mechanic, it seems annoying.

Gurrry

God damnit, Best Buy.

My order is still "processing" for both the MM LE and MM N3ds. I know ive asked this a few times, but has anyone that ordered from best buy have theirs ship yet?

Im starting to think I wont be getting this on the 13th... grrrrrr

georly

God damnit, Best Buy.

My order is still "processing" for both the MM LE and MM N3ds. I know ive asked this a few times, but has anyone that ordered from best buy have theirs ship yet?

Im starting to think I wont be getting this on the 13th... grrrrrr

We're in the same boat. Payment validated, no further. I got the free shipping, but I was *PRAYING* for release day delivery. Guess that's not happening.

Impala26

The improved 3D is more than worth the upgrade. I've had the console for three months and its still stunning to look at.

Europe right? Is it also true that there's "New" versions of both the standard and XL 3DS for Europe/Asia but only 3DS XL for NA?

And I don't doubt it. I still hope to upgrade at some point for just that too. Well, that and the increased processing power and C-stick. Just don't have the money at the moment and I'm not about selling/trading old handhelds--I still have a GBC, GBA, GBA SP, DS Lite and my 3DS XL in my living room storage at this very moment, lol.

SparkTR

Has anything been mentioned about the 3D effect in the game? The 3D mode in the OoT remake was terrible, ghosting/double images all over the place, had to turn it off.

Top Bottom