• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maka Wuhu is ruining Mario Kart 7.

Chao

Captura%20de%20pantalla%202012-01-18%20a%20la(s)%2013.18.17.png

Seems there's a popular new glitch in town on the other Wuhu track. Harder to pull off and not the huge advantage, but it takes you from the lighthouse to the final corner.

Yikes -- that's unfortunate. I actually like the Wuhu tracks, too, although the whole notion of Wuhu Island being a "character" is PR BS if I've ever seen it.

I guess they really did use the Wuhu Island resources to save time, and never thought to check for glitches with the same level of rigor?

Snaking in the DS game WAS racing in the game. It's not like only one player ever did it in any given match. Do you honestly believe any metagame is completely balanced and that the best (or in this case, only, really) strategy should never be used?

I just don't see how you can call a speed boost that every single character has access to in a racing genre unbalanced. It serves its point, even when exploited.

Maybe this is more a semantics discussion than anything?

Can both parties agree that even though it may not be unbalanced from the standpoint of giving anyone an unfair advantage over other people, it may shift the balance of gameplay focus from traditional Mario Kart racing?

It's true that other Mario Karts have had their speed boosts as well, but I don't think it's ever been so powerful -- at the expense of other mechanics -- as in DS. The fact that it was removed in subsequent versions speaks to the fact that Mario Kart as Nintendo sees it isn't snaking-focused.

Maybe I'm off here? :)

My problem with snaking has nothing to do with balance. It isn't that hard so it's not so much the difficulty that bothers me either. It's just annoying, tedious and uncomfortable and makes mario kart not very fun.

So basically i can either do it like everyone else which saps the fun out for me. Or i can just accept that i won't actually be able to compete with the people who do it.

Guess i will just have to settle for just playing with friends.

zoukka

My problem with snaking has nothing to do with balance. It isn't that hard so it's not so much the difficulty that bothers me either. It's just annoying, tedious and uncomfortable and makes mario kart not very fun.

So basically i can either do it like everyone else which saps the fun out for me. Or i can just accept that i won't actually be able to compete with the people who do it.

Welcome to the world of casual gaming friend.

The fact that it was removed in subsequent versions speaks to the fact that Mario Kart as Nintendo sees it isn't snaking-focused.

MKWii has bikes and MK7 has snaking.

test_account

XP-39C²
I see on Youtube that there is possible to glitch on the DK Jungle and Koopa Cape stages as well. Far from as bad as on Maka Wuhu though, but you can still gain a few seconds by using these glitches.

Well said.

Chao

I see on Youtube that there is possible to glitch on the DK Jungle and Koopa Cape stages as well. Far from as bad as on Maka Wuhu though, but you can still gain a few seconds by using these glitches.

Man, I'm seriously getting tired of Mario Kart 7. Maka Wuhu was one thing, but now there's glitches in a few stages and that means I won't be able to enjoy Time Trials either because the best times will be awarded to these glitching motherfuckers.

I won't play anymore if I have to do it against cheating ghosts o cheating online players, and I have no reason to play against the CPU again (although Nintendo probably don't give a fuck because they already got my money)

daakusedo

I hated snaking. The competitor in me was obliged to use it . Plus, while mario kart is some cartoon racing game that was still ridiculous. Waiting for it in gran tourismo.

GeekyDad

I just play in the GAF community.

Seen folks abuse the glitch in GAF games too. Thankfully, it's just a few rogue skanks, but they're around.

Either way, this glitch isn't ruining shit. It's stupid, yes, and you can rest assured that anytime the track comes up in the rotation at least one person will abuse it. But really, the cares? It's not EVO. It's Mario Kart. Relax and have a good time. Glitches used to be fun, remember? Where the fuck did all these serious gamers come from? God...damn.

tsab

wanna be friends? :)

jokkir

Snaking in Mario Kart 7 is so useless. You don't even go in a fast enough speed that's noticeable like when snaking in Mario Kart DS. In fact, I'm sure it'll just make you prone to losing even more :\

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Interesting how both Mario Kart 7 and Skyward Sword suffered from game damaging bugs. That's a pretty uncommon thing for a Nintendo game.

udivision

Interesting how both Mario Kart 7 and Skyward Sword suffered from game damaging bugs. That's a pretty uncommon thing for a Nintendo game.

MKWii has the same issue as MK7 (in different tracks), SupPapMar had a gamebreaking bug, at least in the PAL version, Twilight Princess had a gamebreaking bug I think, and there are others too.

The thing I find very strange is the lack of blue shells I've seen when playing this course online 0_o , probably wouldn't stop the glitchers but it would help a bit, wonder why I haven't seen much.

Smh *puts tin foil hat on*

Wolfe

The thing I find very strange is the lack of blue shells I've seen when playing this course online 0_o , probably wouldn't stop the glitchers but it would help a bit, wonder why I haven't seen much.

Smh *puts tin foil hat on*

It's just the random number gen at work, I've been in many races with 2 blue shells while playing online.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Yeah it's pretty bad, at least two out of eight will choose Maka Wuhu on worldwide racing. And that is playing with people of a VR of 4000 or higher.

Sad to hear snaking and other glitches have showed their face. Hopefully they don't become the norm anytime soon. If so, I guess I will just strictly play the GAF community.

Madao

snaking is trash this time. proof is that WR times don't use it.

MKDS snaking was possible because MTs could be done instantly and there was no charge time in that game. the charge system and nerfed MTs make it useless in MKW and MK7.

Wolfe

Yeah it's pretty bad, at least two out of eight will choose Maka Wuhu on worldwide racing. And that is playing with people of a VR of 4000 or higher.

Sad to hear snaking and other glitches have showed their face. Hopefully they don't become the norm anytime soon. If so, I guess I will just strictly play the GAF community.

The only track I've seen it used on is Luigi Raceway due to the long straight and wide track, not something that can happen much elsewhere.

Wizpig

That video of Snaking? been around since day-one.

You know why you still don't see people doing it online? because it gives no advantage.
Hell, you don't see people doing it in Time Trials... you can be sure you won't be seeing them using that while there's a risk of 103834 red shells and bullet bills coming at you.

This Mario Kart is actually the most balanced yet since the casual turn (Double Dash) but the Maka Wuhu glitch is really, really, REALLY SHIT and Nintendo actually managed to piss me off by saying something like "lololol, we can't fix it or some players will be at a disadvantage".

Wizpig

but the staff ghost data in Mario Kart DS used snaking.
I don't recall this at all, it's still a glitch to me, since not every character/kart can snake.

Also, the "lolol u cant does snakez u noob" (not referring to any GAFfer) argument some players used back in the day is the stupidest thing i ever heard, because you just have to pick Dry Bones and a certain kart and it's the easiest thing in the world.
Certainly not a pro thing to do, it just makes the game less balanced -- more like Yoshi & Dry Bones Kart DS.

Also, Maka Wuhu would've been avoidable if they put in a system that didn't let you access online if you didn't download "something" from the e-Shop onto your SD card.

And that "something" would've been the patch.

Top Bottom