• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making Crash Bandicoot (PSX) by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin

mattp

this was such an awesome read
i wish more devs would do this stuff. i couldn't care less about modern games though, i dont wanna read about squeezing an extra bit of performance out of a shader or some shit. i love how back then there were such limitations. brought out a lot of creativity i think

Man

Sony should buy back the Crash license and have ND make a new PS4 launch entry (with both path based and open levels).

jett

D-Member
Man said:
Sony should buy back the Crash license and have ND make a new PS4 launch entry (with both path based and open levels).

ND is so beyond the fucked up remains of Crash's violated corpse there's not a big enough NO for that statement.

Danielsan

Man said:
Naughty Dog is a developer that progresses each generation. Crash was great for its time, but Naughty Dog has moved on to bigger and better things and similarly they will eventually move on from Uncharted to the next and probably even more amazing franchise.

Green Scar said:
Fine, give it to Bend for NGP then

That wouldn't work. The only way that people would get excited about a new Crash is if it could be hyped for being made by its original developer. I doubt that ND wants to have anything to do with it now.

SolidSnakex said:
That wouldn't work. The only way that people would get excited about a new Crash is if it could be hyped for being made by its original developer. I doubt that ND wants to have anything to do with it now.

TBH without Rubin I wouldn't care anyway.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I don't really care for anything ND has made after the first Jak game, so I'd love for them to do a new Crash game, but yeah, it's obviously never gonna happen :/

Danielsan said:
Naughty Dog is a developer that progresses each generation. Crash was great for its time, but Naughty Dog has moved on to bigger and better things and similarly they will eventually move on from Uncharted to the next and probably even more amazing franchise.

Yeah. Jak & Daxter may as well been called "Crash Bandicoot 4" in a lot of respects and look where they took that franchise.

Reclaiming the Crash Bandicoot brand would still probably be a pretty good idea as long as they gave it to a competent developer.

thefil

Quite an interesting read. I never knew about the dynamic difficulty!

That being said, I find it a little shocking how focussed they seemed on making the game look spectacular. I would have pictured a studio where the game was made first, and the levels designed, before dramatic engine choices and engineering.

Spiegel

Found this old presentation by Jason Rubin (end of '04)

http://www.agdc.com.au/04presentations/thu_jason_rubin.ppt

This is the interesting part for this thread:

UZR52.png

Tagg9

Thanks for the thread update. Those are some very interesting numbers, particularly the PS1 budgets. Games used to be so much more profitable.

owned all crash games as kid, but man those games are terrible...

My mind is full of fuck.

I think Crash games are actually really well aged too for 3D PS1 era games. Controls are really tight too. Also all 4 ND Crash games are great with CTR being the best Kart racin game still :3.

Crash 1 save system sucks tho :(.

jcm

[img/]http://www.xxxxxxxxx.net/snes/bubsy_2/sprites/animated/bubsymallet.gif[/img]

:p

The malware warning is coming from this post. The sprite posted by Rlan is hosted at a known malware site (according to Chrome, anyway). A mod should probably edit his post if he doesn't.

nigga please. In terms of game design they're like primitive relics from the commodore64 compared to other 3d platformers

WTF is this?

ascii42

nigga please. In terms of game design they're like primitive relics from the commodore64 compared to other 3d platformers

Because they are among the few 3D platformers not directly based on Super Mario 64. Rather, they are based on 2D platformers.

Spiegel

Bumping the thread.

With the collection getting released later this month I think some of you might be interested in reading about the creators writing about the original games.

Top Bottom