• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male rifle shooters develop breasts. Due to impact? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.guns.com/2013/07/30/study-shows-male-rifle-shooters-develop-breasts/

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jul/29/german-soldiers-develop-enlarged-breasts

The rhythmic impact of a rifle wielded by a military man can puff up his chest. This sometimes leads to worry, or worse. Though soldiers might appreciate a good pair of breasts, what would happen if they themselves grew a pair? Or if they grew just one?
Some men do experience this affront. A study called Gynecomastia in German Soldiers: Etiology and Pathology, published last year in the journal GMS Interdisciplinary Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, analysed the plight of 211 male German soldiers who suffered from, or at least exhibited, one or two enlarged breasts. The ailment has a medical name: gynecomastia.

The study's authors, Prof Björn Dirk Krapohl, Dr Dietrich Doll, and four colleagues at Bundeswehrkrankenhaus, the German Armed Forces Hospital in Berlin, played detective. They set out "to investigate the increased incidence of left-sided gynecomastia in members of the German Ministry of Defense Guard Battalion who perform ceremonial duties in Berlin … A possible explanation is the mechanical impact of the carbine against the left side of the body during the drills that these soldiers regularly perform as part of their ceremonial duties"....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure xenohormones are to blame (chemicals in nature or man made that attach to estrogen receptors in the body). But what do you guys think?

Pubertal_Gynecomastia-2.jpg

Thousand,+Frank++(20110416153021031)+20110416153120593.jpg

Yikes, found this not too long ago, fitting. https://vimeo.com/15346778

EDIT: Apparently its due to the drills? I don't believe it though. Riflemen doing trills like glorified gun toting cheerleaders are the ones getting this, not anyone using or shooting a rifle. It's gotta be the estrogen, body building circles seem to know whats up.

They set out "to investigate the increased incidence of left-sided gynecomastia in members of the German Ministry of Defense Guard Battalion who perform ceremonial duties in Berlin … A possible explanation is the mechanical impact of the carbine against the left side of the body during the drills that these soldiers regularly perform as part of their ceremonial duties"....

My guess is that uh....the vibrations from the gun...uhh...soften up the chest muscles....and....destroy the nerves by repeated vibrations and turn them into...jelly....and they have no muscles to begin with so...I don't even know.

My guess is that uh....the vibrations from the gun...uhh...soften up the chest muscles....and....destroy the nerves by repeated vibrations and turn them into...jelly....and they have no muscles to begin with so...I don't even know.

You know, I'm pretty sure that is exactly how the "study" went. Cause that makes complete sense lmao. Soon its going to be part of the job description XD

There's a face in that first picture, but I couldn't possibly...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So gun enthusists will not only be judged by the lack of penis, but also by the size of their breasts? Okay.
gunenthusiastdating.com where you will be judged not by the lack of penis, but your breasts.

If this is a real study, and a real problem, however, I feel a bit sad for them. It's a strange side effect after all.

iamblades

The OP misunderstood the original article though:

They set out "to investigate the increased incidence of left-sided gynecomastia in members of the German Ministry of Defense Guard Battalion who perform ceremonial duties in Berlin … A possible explanation is the mechanical impact of the carbine against the left side of the body during the drills that these soldiers regularly perform as part of their ceremonial duties"....

It isn't rifle shooters, it is the drill team that does the rifle twirling stuff.

If it was talking about shooting, the purported explanation would be even more bizarre and illogical, because I have never once seen someone put a rifle up to their chest to fire it.

Edit: it is allegedly from doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRIDh6YP7nY&t=10

Lace

80AhZpU.gif

Is this something that happens overnight after a day at the range? If not you would think they'd stop once it began.

The OP misunderstood the original article though:

It isn't rifle shooters, it is the drill team that does the rifle twirling stuff.

If it was talking about shooting, the purported explanation would be even more bizarre and illogical, because I have never once seen someone put a rifle up to their chest to fire it.

Edit: it is allegedly from doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRIDh6YP7nY&t=10

Pretty cool how misreading an article can lead to a completely different thread, eh?

The situation itself must really suck. Especially since this would really mean gyno on only one chest/breast side, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom