• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man, I really miss GEARS

gaming_noob

I have all the Gears games backlogged because I don't have anyone who can play through them with me co-op. I tried playing with the AI and in the very first game Dom kept running into an area of darkness and getting insta-killed by these bat-like creatures. No amount of reloading fixed it, his AI would continue running into this spot and getting killed.

Shame, the series was the main reason I finally picked up a 360.

I wish I still had the games so I could play with you..especially the first one. I would love to be in your spot and experience Gears 1 for the first time again!

Prine

Banned
Such a mediocre franchise.
Yeah, so mediocre that the game in your avatar borrowed heavily from it. Must be mediocre too.
I sure hope you're not suggesting The Last of Us is mediocre with that avatar quote.
Its to demonstrate the absurdity of the of original poster, who had the audacity to say what he did, given what the franchise has done for 3rd person shooters and multiplayer.

What your saying about LOU can be said about Gears franchise as well. Same goes for those saying RE4 was mediocre. Wonderfully crafted masterpieces.

Situacao

The gameplay from Gears was, imo, great and the athmosphere in the 1st one was top-notch.

But, jesus christ, was the story lame.

Stat!

I wish I still had the games so I could play with you..especially the first one. I would love to be in your spot and experience Gears 1 for the first time again!

Gears 1 was an amazing game. I had crazy amazing times with private 8 player games when I was in my teens that lasted from 9 pm to 3 am in the summer. Those were the days. Host advantage was real but hilarious, and each map was fantastic.

Everything from the awesome active reload minigame to how heads would pop off for a headshot or watching (or being that guy) who won despite it being 1 on 4!

I even remember my friends and I even inventing games outside of that downtown subway map where you could roll against a ledge and get outside of the playing area.

The first time you faced a Berserker unreal. One of my top 10 games of all time.

One of the reasons I'll be sad I don't own an Xbox One is to play Gears. I don't think Gears 2 replicated what they had in Gears 1 (though Horde mode was awesome), but that and Gears 3 were still great games. I remember getting into the Gears 3 beta too and playing the grocery map. It was fantastic.

spuckthew

I really enjoyed the gameplay and mechanics of Gears. Only ever played 1 and 2, but I loved those games. Never dived into competitive multiplayer as it didn't interest me and I'm really a PC guy, but its co-op stuff and, in the second game, Horde mode were phenomenal.

Really should pick up a cheap copy of Gears 3 at some point and run through it with the girlfriend.

nel e nel

so uhhhh the Microsoft youtube channel just uploaded this today.

https://youtu.be/9YBYjeJzAwA

teasing us? :eek:

Has to be teasing us!! Gears of war 3 HD must be coming!!

Servers offline, They are defo migrating the servers over to xbox one!! Hope this comes out ASAP I'm day one whatever they release lol

I just noticed the same thing and came here to post this - it can't be coincidence.

Could be nothing, from the comments:

Drxozzy493 said:
5 hours ago
The Reason for the repost is that the channel user made license changes for the video

Can someone explaon all the Gears hype. I played the first one a while after it came out and it was so buggy that it drove me mad, just tryring to finish it. I also felt characters were unrelatable, the story was boring and the levels all felt kind of uninspired. I really tried to like it and that Mad World trailer was so goooood. Later, I gave my xbox to my friend and never looked back.

Just wondering what makes it awesome, to those of you who like it so much. Personally, I had more fun with the uncharted series, but I guess that's a personal preference.

Why?

Im more nervous about the Engine. UE4 doesnt really run well on XboxOne if Fable Legends is any indication.

Fable Legends... a game that has not released yet makes you nervous about the engine running on Xbox One? Lionhead made some impressive lighting technology for UE4 that was so good Epic decided to incorporate it into the engine.

Perhaps I would offer some agreement in concern over UE4 but Microsoft wouldnt be licensing it for nearly every studio they've got if it ran poorly on Xbox One.

All these spoilers, lol. I was almost considering playing these games! :eek: RIP interest.

I dont even think the spoils say much, theres other stuff going on too. The gameplay is fantastic imo too, definitely worth playing.

I can understand criticism of the story and why people dont like it, for me personally I thought the premise was cool and it seemed like there was a ton of cool background stuff and things in the world that they could have elaborated on whether thats in the games or the books, but particularly in the games they didnt bother to flesh things out and tell it very well.

Iirc CliffyB has said this was intentional but Rod also said they didnt have a huge amount of resources at Epic for it all, I hope one of the things Black Tusk do is really turn Gears into a Halo, creating a proper and flesh out background, do side projects (like a Spartan Assault and maybe an RTS) that would fit the universe really well.

My biggest concern is how they re-introduce the franchise for "Gears of War 4" which im extremely certain is what it will be called as Phil doesnt really like reboots, or at least, not for Halo and Gears, I dont think. From the story perspective, anyway, Gears 3 had a
pretty definitive ending so creating a new threat and one that is a story worth telling will be interesting to do. Do the Locust come back? Or the lambent? I wasnt so much of a fan of the Lambent tbh.

Because they've never made a game before lol?

This isnt necessarily and unfair criticism, I can see why people would be skeptical especially as Black Tusk have been around a while but never really been able to kick on and finish a project that said I believe in Rod, I really do. His reputation as a "closer" and how much he loves the Gears franchise, they got all the assets for Gears that Epic ever made including the previous games and all the work he did for continuing the franchise after Gears 3. Its not like they are literally starting from scratch, the studio had UE4 experience prior to getting Gears too.
As long as its given enough time to make it great I think it will be fine, if it releases in holiday 2016 like I think it will then I think that should/will be enough time.

Tawpgun

I'm missing those timed reloads - "Get Some"

A feature I'm surprised was never copied.

I'm 50/50 on the damage buff with active reloads (felt kinda random/cheap when someones lancer/shotty was more powerful than yours because they wasted the ammo to reload it) but I love the idea of risk/reward in a fast reload vs fucking up and jamming vs default reload.

A feature I'm surprised was never copied.

I'm 50/50 on the damage buff with active reloads (felt kinda random/cheap when someones lancer/shotty was more powerful than yours because they wasted the ammo to reload it) but I love the idea of risk/reward in a fast reload vs fucking up and jamming vs default reload.

Me either, it is a brilliant part of the gameplay.

abadguy

Banned
I disagree, I always thought the series was overrated. The controls were clunky, I don't think the combat was all that great. It got old very fast for me.

Then again typical action third person shooters, typically don't do it for me anymore. I need something else in them. Either stealth, puzzle solving, etc.

lol. The Gears games had excellent controls and gunplay not to mention pretty much got ripped off by nearly every third person shooter after them. Also shows that you don't need bullshit tacked on stealth and puzzles , just excellent smooth shooting mechanics, which this series delivers in spades.

Looking back at the Gears 3 launch vid posted, that game's graphics hold up damn good. Still a looker. Can't wait for 4!

I sure hope you're not suggesting The Last of Us is mediocre with that avatar quote.

More like TLOU pretty much copy pasted it's MP from that "mediocre" Gears series.

lol. The Gears games had excellent controls and gunplay not to mention pretty much got ripped off by nearly every third person shooter after them. Also shows that you don't need bullshit tacked on stealth and puzzles , just excellent smooth shooting mechanics, which this series delivers in spades.

Looking back at the Gears 3 launch vid posted, that game's graphics hold up damn good. Still a looker. Can't wait for 4!

More like TLOU pretty much copy pasted it's MP from that "mediocre" Gears series.

I'd say Gears is probably the best controlling TPS around. I've never been able to navigate in and out of cover on any other game as cleanly and precisely as Gears.

gears 3 was the best. it was the perfect refinement of the gears formula. gears 1 was great for its time but gears 3 is superior. gears 2 is a bag of shit as is judgement

also to those complaining about spoilers, dont worry op has done u a huge favour. the campaigns are trash anyway, just play the multiplayer once the remaster hits.

What? You are kidding right? Thats the most absurd thing I have ever read. They are nothing alike.

I'd say Gears is probably the best controlling TPS around. I've never been able to navigate in and out of cover on any other game as cleanly and precisely as Gears.

I just played the first and second game again with my brother and the stop and pop is god tier but running around was making me feel claustrophobic. I think the 3rd game really perfected the sense of movement and agility

gears 3 was the best. it was the perfect refinement of the gears formula. gears 1 was great for its time but gears 3 is superior. gears 2 is a bag of shit as is judgement

also to those complaining about spoilers, dont worry op has done u a huge favour. the campaigns are trash anyway, just play the multiplayer once the remaster hits.

I actually really really liked the first campaign but yeah I agree with you on the other 2.

What? You are kidding right? Thats the most absurd thing I have ever read. They are nothing alike.

I just played the first and second game again with my brother and the stop and pop is god tier but running around was making me feel claustrophobic. I think the 3rd game really perfected the sense of movement and agility

I liked the TLoU MP because it controlled similarly but I will admit the characters felt "lighter" and less "magnetic" than Gears characters. Plus there's a bigger focus on stealth.

I liked the TLoU MP because it controlled similarly but I will admit the characters felt "lighter" and less "magnetic" than Gears characters. Plus there's a bigger focus on stealth.

Actual play style isn't really similar at all though. Gears is arcadey and quick whereas TLOU is slow and methodical and depends largely on crafting and team support. It feels more like Socom 2 in philosophy than Gears

Horde mode was so much fun. So many hours played with friends.

Yup and no one has been able to duplicate how good it is in Gears.

Yup, i was browsing the Xbox Youtube channel yesterday and was surprised they put the Gears 3 launch event. I was like, yeah there's definitely something Gears related coming this year.

I say a remaster of Gears 3 should do it and then in 2016 BOOM, Gears of War 4 !!!

Personally, i cannot wait ! Gears of War is a blast to play both solo and multi, even though the story mode is kind of a joke, i always thought the characters sounded retarded and Markus looks and sounds like a total dickbag but that's what makes the charm for me. The gameplay and intensity is where it's at.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The Xbox Youtube channel is actually replying to people commenting in the videos, including people talking about teasing, so this doesn't seem like an accident.

The question is whether it's for GOW4 or the long-anticipated collection. I'm just playing it safe and waiting for E3 to roll around. The newest Gears is guaranteed to be shown, a collection is something I'll just wait to see if true.

All I can say is that it's my favorite shooter series and its controls system can't be touched. Other games copying it here and there is a testament to that.

The gameplay from Gears was, imo, great and the athmosphere in the 1st one was top-notch.

I know you just didn't talk about a lame story with a MGR avatar, because I wouldn't play through it again not only because of how much I ended up disliking the combat in the end, but because of how lame it's "story" was.

The other chump that came into a thread for a game just to call the series mediocre and leave isn't even worth replying to.

BizzyBum

All these spoilers, lol. I was almost considering playing these games! :eek: RIP interest.

So you never played the franchise, and you decide to enter a thread which is reminiscing on the franchise and not expect spoilers from games that came out 5+ years ago?

Okay.

Agreed. The ability to jump diagonally in the third game really opened up the mobility and perfected an already great cover/traversal system.

Top Bottom