• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

black-general and braveman 1-caught up

this manga is just really funny. hope this gets a 5 min shorts anime somewhere down the line.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Welcome to the NHK! fin.

Well, the manga is pretty easily the worst version of this story. Some flat art, a few arcs are rushed through making me wonder what the point of including them was, comedic moments always felt off (first half has an awfully strong reliance on corny reaction faces), and the new material doesn't really work out. Like the pyramid scheme girl and her shut-in brother were expanded on further here, when they really aren't worth it, frankly. I should've just read the book again.

Fire Punch 39
tI4h0.png

Seems obvious in the context of the genre, not the actual evidence presented. It's basically the same reason you've mentioned, whoever they try to make the least suspicious tends to be the culprit for maximum surprise value, and also essentially why characters like
Ulgar
might as well have been screaming innocent on design alone.

For sure the only other likely candidates are
kanata and the sparkling french guy and I really can't see it being either of them

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch491

I'd say pushing Tomo towards this guy is probably the worst move possible.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai ch26

So Dullahans are the future.

Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan ch18

It keeps getting awkwarder.

Koi wa Amaagari no You ni ch18

The hamster matters more than him himself, lol.

Koe Koi 1
Sick bedridden high school girl main character who missed the first week of school gets a phone call from the class' representative who's got a GORGEOUS voice. Then she sees him.

I've got an idea for an alternate version :
- Make the MC male.
- Make the representative female.
- Make her wear a burqa
- Watch the internet melting down.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga. Most recent at top. Links to previous recommendations at bottom.

1. [Long imp] BassForever | Astra Lost In Space: Astra Lost In Space is a sci fi survival manga about 9 kids who on a school trip are sucked into a space phenomena and end up 5000 light years away from home near an abandoned ship, the Astra.
  2. [Short rev] A Huge Battleship | iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls - Comic Anthology cool / cute / passion: Collection of standalone comedic shorts featuring the various Cinderella Girls factions.
  3. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | There's Nobody Who Wants to Cry: Short story from the Onedari Shite Mite yuri anthology, featuring a student who gets turned on by making her partner injure her.
  4. [Imp] Tribes of Trusty | Machida-kun no Sekai: Imagine if Sakamoto (Sakamoto desu ga?) was a normal guy whose main point was being kind to the Messiah levels.
  5. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | How Many Light-Years to Babylon?: More new Dowman Sayman, this time featuring an MC's intergalactic quest to fuck the hottest girls in the universe. Additional impressions from Zweizer.
  6. [Imp] Soma | Kine-san no 1-ri de Cinema: You can tell the author is really passionate about these types of movies and uses this as a sort of platform to display his opinions in a fun and lighthearted way.
  7. [Short rev] 8 X 11 Printer Paper | Sket Dance: After taking a break with reading this for 3 years I finally finished it, really a well done manga that has good control when both dealing with the comedy and serious aspects. Guess time to start the mangaka's newest manga that's free on Viz.
  8. [Imp] Nordicus | Haru no Noroi: I dig this, it's a very interesting love triangle.
  9. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | Kako and the False Detective: Supernatural mystery solving shenanigans from the Princess Resurrection author.
  10. [Rev] Soma | Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru (scroll down): There's a lot of dark comedy in most of the stories with much of them having a pretty depressing yet sobering conclusion.
  11. [Rev] Jintor | Nozomi to Kimio: i demand more pervy romance that is equal parts romance to perv.
  12. [Short rev] A Huge Battleship | iDOLM@STER - Cute Arisu (doujin): And the moral of the story is: cuteness is in the eye of the beholder. Or maybe it's idols shouldn't do drugs, because that'd certainly explain some of the visual irregularities.
  13. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | Seifuku no Vampiress Lord: A FeMC gets vampirified and doesn't really give a damn about it, though she starts to revise her opinion when the usual cravings begin.
  14. [Long imp] Turin Turambar | Phoenix: In a way, it's very ambitious as it tries to tell Humankind's story, from the ancient times to the future. It's like a Civilization game!
  15. [Rev] 4 is a cutie | Yuureitou: A solid read featuring multiple characters who explore their "otherness" wrapped up in a historical murder-mystery treasure hunt.
  16. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | The Mermaid Princess's Guilty Meal: A mermaid princess travels to the human world to pay respects to an aquatic friend who was caught by fishermen.
  17. [Rev] Zweizer | (The Antithesis of) A Scholarship Student (NSFW oneshot): A recommended read if you're in the mood for yuri action.
  18. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | The Minature Garden of Twindle: A magical brother begins a search for his magical sister, who disappears shortly after sewing a bunch of exploded corpses back together.
  19. [Imp] Lady Ayan is a Sanova B**chi: Yeeah this is somewhere between sakamoto and kaguya. It's not as good at either at what they do but it's entertaining.
  20. [Rev] Zweizer | Good Morning, Good Night(mare) (doujin): A collection of short stories centered around the Madoka cast, that's mostly inspired by the events of Rebellion.
  21. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | Melancholia: New manga by Dowman Sayman, which's apparently going to be a collection of short stories like Nickelodeon.
  22. [Imp] Fancolors | Welcome to the Ballroom: It's pretty good so far, my only concern so far is how this story will handle whatever future development in their relationships.
  23. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | Convenience Store Siren (oneshot): A hyper cute, hyper androphobic monster girl works at a convenience store, using the power of spatial reality warping gloves.
  24. [Imp] Tribes of Trusty | Slow Motion wou Ichido: Romcom with two Eighties otaku high schoolers.
  25. [Imp] nabe_shogun | Musuko no Yome: 4-koma by the author of Yandere Kanojou. A divorced teachers son dies and his daughter in law now lives with him. Not bad so far. I'd like to read more, but it seems like chapters don't get translated very often at all.
  26. [Imp] nabe_shogun | Mousou Telepathy: Interesting story about a girl Nanako who can hear people thoughts.
  27. [Imp] Turin Turambar | Taiyou no Ijiwaru: A manga I didn't know what was about I choose to read because the cool cover. It happens to be a short story compilation volume, with four stories.
  28. Tribes of Trusty's impressions for Mousou Telepath and others.
  29. [Imp] mdubs | Forget Me Not: This is one of the best series ongoing, and I hope that anyone who enjoys coming-of-age stories will read this one.
  30. Black Bishop's impressions for Saguri-san Tankentai and others.
  31. [Imp] brawly | High School (manhwa): About 30 chapters in. It's great. Ridiculously strong delinquents doing what they do best. Han Ryu is such an interesting character.
  32. [Imp] Tribes of Trusty | Goblin Slayer: Party of wannabe adventurers with the bashful warrior, sullen dark mage, cheerful fighter and novice white mage go into a goblin's nest for an extermination quest only to get rekt.
  33. [Rev] Revo | JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean: Overall I felt like Stone Ocean ended up feeling more like a transitional phase of jojo. [spoiler warning]
  34. [Short imp] Peco | Yamamoto Mimikaki-Ten: Great oneshot about a boy's sexual explosion...
  35. [Rev] Turin Turambar | Brothers of Japan: From Taiyo Matsumoto. I like his longer stories (Zero, Ping Pong, Takemitsu Samurai, Number Five) but I can't say the same with his short stories, and this is another volume of short stories.
  36. [Rec] How About No | Memories of Emanon and Wandering Emanon: Emanon reincarnates through a daughter every generation, with all of her memories intact, and the mother losing recollection of herself as Emanon.
  37. [Imp] Shouta | Grand Blue: That's a lot of censor bubbles. There's a serious amount of drinking for a diving manga too.
  38. [Imp] Turin Turambar | Adventure Boys: Another day, another short story compilation, this time from Mitsuru Adachi, though this time he uses high school baseball less than usual, heh heh.
  39. [Short imp] KeRaSh | Kimi Ni Todoke: It's not often that I care about each and every character of a story but they really hit the nail on the head with this one.
  40. [Imp] FlowersisBritish | Straigten up! Welcome to the competitive dance club!: If this ever gets canceled I'm going to burn down a building.... Anyway, for now, I love this.
  41. [Rev] Lain | GATE: I'm loving the present day vs medieval/fantasy setting with all that brings into the clash between the two realities (modern weaponry is obviously OP against swords and arrows and all that stuff).
  42. [Imp] ColossalLazy | Alice in the Borderland: While this setting has been ovedone to death, so far this manga has executed it very well with its brutal games and its grim atmosphere.
  43. [Rev] Turin Turambar | Tokkaten: The style is pretty much what I had imagined, it's a trademark mix of pathetic characters, in pathetic/sad stories with sometimes an absurdist comedic tone and a slight bittersweet ending in them.
  44. [Rec] Stinky | Akai Mi Hajiketa: Highly recommended and its a short read. You'll blast through it in one sitting for sure.
  45. [LONG Imp] Shengar | Mai Ball: Mai Ball is unexpectedly a solid sports manga. The characters depiction of doing sports is honest, and really feels like they actually playing.
  46. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | Jashin-chan Dropkick: A gothic lolita summons a monster girl from hell, and the pair spend the majority of chapters inflicting violence upon each-other, typically with one-sided results.
  47. [Short Rev] brawly | Rookies: As I've said before, it's a great mix between Slam Dunk, Rokudenaishi Blues and GTO.
  48. [Imp] Black Bishop | No Guns Life: Great little manga about a hard boiled cybork with a revolver for a head.
  49. [Imp] BassForever | Kimetsu no Yaiba: I'm not a big fan of the choice to have much of the story told via narration by the lead character but the story is good and the action is great.
  50. [Shooooort Imp] Zweizer | Impossible Love Suicide (oneshot): There are very few problems that can't be solved by a stab in the back.
  51. [Spoiler rev] Taruranto | Fujoshi Rumi: Overall a good, funny manga with some forced developments in order to keep the story going.
  52. [Short rev] A Huge Battleship | Lily Ties (NSFW doujin): A thought-provoking examination of outdated upper societal conventions.
  53. [Rev] Zweizer | Mob Psycho 100: Mob Psycho 100 takes a deliberately generic and cliché concept about humans with superpowers in normal society, and subtly turns it on its head.
  54. A Huge Battleship's Best Manga of 2016.
  55. [Imp] Ascheroth | Kimetsu no Yaiba: Interesting setting with some mysteries, cool and creative fights and a bunch of likeable characters, but I don't think the art is that great.
  56. [Rec] Black Bishop | Spirit Circle (bonus rev of V.B.Rose): All in all a title I would recommend, especially is you enjoyed this artist's previous works.
  57. [Short Rev] A Huge Battleship | Neptunia - Dengeki Maoh 10th Anniversary (oneshot): Only downsides were the brief length and the guest stars being 'dead' throughout the chapter.
  58. [Short Imp] Turin Turambar | Twilight (oneshot?): Damn, this story, Twilight from Gunjou Gakusha, was hauntingly beautiful.
  59. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | Kabe ni Mary.com: The titular tittular phantom heroine and her occasional bouts of actual malice are enough of a selling point for me, so followed.
  60. [Imp] Lain | Sherlock: Pretty faithful adaption of the show. A joy to read with nice art to go with it.
  61. [Short rev] Zweizer | Tamayura Kitsune: A short story featuring a depressed teenager and a fox girl familiar.
  62. [Imp] Arabesque | Rurouni Kenshin: The Ex-Con Ashitaro: This was pretty good, and reminded me how much I liked Watsuki's stuff.
  63. [Imp] Black Bishop | For Dungeon Seeker, Arifureta Shokugyou De Sekai Saikyou, and [NEWGATE].
  64. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | Kantai Collection - FIEND (doujin): Still more entertaining than 93.6% of the comedic rubbish though.
  65. [Imp] Otakumegane | Origin: Boishi's New Robot thriller featuring....A good robot with super advanced AI that desires feelings
  66. [Rec] Shengar | Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki: Just like any other SoL manga that I like, I believe it takes a great skill to make the ordinary to be interesting.
  67. [Short rev] Zweizer | Koe de Oshigoto!: The series itself was a pretty refreshing take on the adult video games industry in general and voice acting in particular.
  68. [Short rev] ubique | Parasyte: Really enjoyed it up until the second-to-last volume, where it sort of started teaching me about life on Earth and how I should recycle or something.
  69. [Short rev] thesaucetastic | Fluttering Feelings: It's a shame this author has terminal cancer, this was a pretty good slow romance between two college women. It's sad that she won't be able to draw a conclusive end, or even a kiss scene. 31 is way too young to deal with that. :(
  70. [Imp] Black Bishop | Dolls: An interestingly titled series about a future Japan where executions are used to judge many heinous crimes.
  71. [Imp] HassanJamal | Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: A manga bout a green haired robot gal, left behind by her master, who owns a cafe in a small town. Its also in a future where parts of Japan had been swallowed by the rising sea water.
  72. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | Hakoniwa no Fraulein: A cute girl running a cute (supernatural) detective agency isn't exactly an original premise.
  73. [Rev] A Huge Battleship | Rendezvous: The unorthodox subject matter makes it difficult to recommend to anyone without a taste for the twisted, but for the enlightened among us, it's been a memorable ride
  74. [Imp] HassanJamal | Lycanthrope Bouken: The focus is on adventurer's insurance run by Boss(thats his name) and I guess not your typical slime girl called Chief.
  75. [Rec] FlowersisBritish | Veritas: Point is, I remember having fun reading this and you might too. And again, the fights are pretty rad if very silly.
  76. [Imp] A Huge Battleship | Division Girl - First Part: More creative genius from the eyeball-licking yuri anthology, this time featuring a socially stunted girl who involuntarily clones herself every so often.
  77. [Rev] A Huge Battleship | Corpse Party: Another Child: It was more concise/focused, with the compacted content being more consistently entertaining, but at the expense of characterisation and tension.
  78. [Imp] Zweizer | Jewels: A short yuri story featuring a pair of close friends as they grow up together.
  79. [Rev (short)] JulianImp | Testugaku Letra: Now I wish there'd be an anime adaptation of this with some kick-ass flamenco performances someday.
  80. [Imp] GoldCrusader | Fire Force Vol 1: The premise of the story is good, people just bursting into flames with no warning, and becoming demons.
  81. [Rev] Shouta | Kamunagara: It sounds mundane but from there is a sort SMT-esque tale of reincarnation, Japanese mysticism, a bit of government conspiracy, and of course, tons of bloody sword fighting.
  82. LeleSocho | Hakumei & Mikochi: A manga about 9 centimeters girls and their life in the forest, they build things, they explore, experience places and animals and they eat... A LOT! The artstyle is rich and gives a warm feeling, recommended!
  83. [Rev] Semblance | Forget-me-not: Very, very big fan of his art. Love the way he details his environments, and his character designs, like the (admittedly same looking) female leads that carry his stories, are appealing to me.
  84. [Imp] striferser | Himeiden: After an accident that caused 1/3 of human population got killed, our main protag just live like usual without any care, until...
  85. [Imp] Verelios | Nanashi no Asterism: Sadly this evokes a bit too much of middle school for me, where everything inconsequential is doomsday and my world is ending because of relationship dynamics.
  86. [Imp] Shengar | Akai mi Hajiketa: A neat short story or one shots in this case of romantic encounters or stories.
  87. [Imp] HassanJamal | Grand Blue: This is easily one of the funniest mangas I've read.
  88. [Rev] A Huge Battleship | Shito na Watashi to Shikku na Aitsu (oneshot): They say you can tell a lot about someone from their eyes, and those were clearly not the eyes of a sane person.
  89. [Imp] OniBarubary | Uratarou: The action is good, the comedy is good, the gore is good, the artstyle is good, it's just a good manga.
  90. [Imp] Mockingbird | Fureru to Kikoeru: Really easy to get into the this manga. Excited for more.
  91. [Rev] A Huge Battleship | The Little Maid's Secret: Also mildly touching, and I don't mean that in the R-18 way.
  92. [Rev] FlowersisBritish | Kimi ni Todoke: Read this and get lost in love and drama and all that nonsense and realize she/he/they were just not the one.
  93. [Imp] Zweizer | Beloved: They both meet in a nightclub, and following what Wei thought was a one-night stand, alongside a shocking revelation, DIng Yi proves herself to be a little bit more of a persistent presence in her life than expected.

Tripon

Astra Lost in Space 1-25

SHINOHARA Kenta new series after Sket Dance. This isn't running in Weekly Jump, but instead online I believe.

Quick summary: A group of 9 students are randomly selected to become part of a camping trip. At the start of the trip, something quickly goes wrong and becomes something like Star Trek: Voyager, stranded thousands of light years from home, they have to slowly trek back to Earth. Meanwhile, they realize they may be part of a larger conspiracy.

It's a good series, and features a lot of the humor that was in Sket Dance. It's also a lot more ecchi than Sket Dance ever was, just because all the characters are in skin tight suits and they play on that with each character. You can read weekly chapters on Viz's website for free.

JohnDoe

Banned
Kingdom 515

So it looks like Ousen's plan is to
drain Zhao's resources?
I wonder when Shin finally gets to shine. The Heavy Sweating Hi-Shin Unit is looking really weak rn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom