• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

mdubs

Banned
Black Torch 3

Ok alright, I'm liking this. Goes into tropes just enough but leaves a lot of interesting other stuff on the table. Fight scenes are cool as well, so I like the art style.

upandaway

Flying Witch 32

I wonder if all the weather dudes are those types of dragon things? Hmm. Also I guess there's a lot of them if they cover such a small area, if one root is only in charge of one house that's pretty inefficient.

Actually the whole process is a bit too tedious for me, so I'm glad that seasons are automatic in our world. Manga makes me appreciate the weirdest things.

Animated Touta-nii looks awesome...no Santa is concerning.

tumblr_inline_omzv8fWy9C1ubpqls_540.jpg

I do not dig that art direction, honestly. Looks too far off from the manga's style which I like a lot.

Nishizawa is going to get
Tenri'd.
At this point I think it's safe to assume that Hayate
won't end up with anyone.

That's my assumption as well as soon as Athena took herself out of the running, but you never know these days. I didn't expect them to even try to push Nishizawa yet here we are.

Sayuri's Little Sister Is An Angel vol 3
Between Mikoto's commentary on regrets, her reaction to Sayuri's angelic questioning and that ending, this was a relatively ominous volume. Odds of onee-chan being dead/comatose have increased slightly. Glad the side couple's circumstances were wrapped up promptly, since I didn't feel like they offered much that hasn't been done 826 times before. Next volume is the finale, so the truth behind the halo should be answered one way or another.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch529

Carol is quick to forgive~

Hungry Marie ch4

Of course it wouldn't be this easy. I wonder how much of a plot-driven manga it'll be.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch29

Perfect opportunity to rekindle a friendship.

cntr

Banned
At least the movies are being done by the guy who wrote the original series (but not AO), so maybe it'll be good?
it probably won't

I think I'm gonna watch the original series sometime soon. It sounds right up my alley.

hungry marie 4

Looks like Taiga and Marie finally got to chat together, and it was as good as I hoped.

And lol at his grandma saying it happends all the time you know. Which could be a future plot thing.

Revo

Hungry Marie 4

Poor man can't even dream his own dream.
And I don't think the princess is in any position to criticize here. She basically shotgun married her way into taiga's body. Until death do us part, after all.

Zweizer

Banned
Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu ch42

Singing is trickier than it seems.

Good thing she made another good friend~

Kingdom ch510

Bah, I wanted to know what was the deal with this city. Gotta wait for the next chapter I guess.

Phoenix - END

Finished!
In truth I was a bit tired of this series, maybe I rushed it too much, and I should have made pauses and read other things in between stories. Almost 4000 pages of the same style (even if there are different stories, the overall author style is seen through) are too much.

The last one, Dawn, was pretty good, how it mixes both the past story and the future story bit a bit in the same arc.

One thing I ended up thinking about this series, is how it actually is a bit too much about Japan story. The overall theme is super universal, it's the story of humanity, so it would have made more sense to me to have a story in South America, another in Africa, another in Europe, some in Japan, etc. You can tell the same type of stories (love stories, civil war stories, religion stories) in any setting; though I can imagine Tezuka simply chose the the setting he knew more deeply.

Grand Blue 31

The punchline was amazing but I honestly don't like the chapters with his friends. I really don't like "shitty friends" tropes. They just fucking annoy me.

Overlord 24

Geez, this is really when the manga is at it's best. When it ignores all the "oh man, we used to be in a guild" bullshit and focuses on Ainz actually being somewhat villainous or intimidatingly evil. The lengths he went to just to set up a plinth to visit the battlefield is ridiculous and shows the lizardmen just how out of their depth they are.

Of course the lizardmen arc is easily the best because of the lizardmen but hey, it's nice that the supporting cast of Ainz and his henchmen got time to shine.

Sorta disappointing that apparently they get shoved to the side and ignored after this arc, they easily elevated this manga.

We Can't Study 7

This manga is pretty fun and adorable now, and much in the same way that Nisekoi strung me along for a bit due to cute reaction faces and silly stuff, I'm sure this will give me a good number of chapters before it becomes too frustrating and irritating to read.

Said that the tan girl is the worst fucking girl. Ugh. Nice ass tho.

Hungry Marie 4

This was a good chapter. We're starting to hit that Beelzebub stride that made it so much fun to read.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni 29

No no, go back to the tan girl with freckles. We need more of her. I'm glad they went together though, Akira was kinda ignoring her best friend because she was so focused on this shit with the manager so it was kinda her fault.

GATE 61.2

That shot of Rory licking the spoon was entirely necessary.

Also, stupid sexy kobolds.

Man, this manga really drags when it focuses on Lelei or...whatever the elf girl's name is. God I don't care about her so much I forgot her name.

Shin Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko 9

JESUS CHRIST

That was a fucking bloodbath. How the fuck did Sensei have all those powers?!

Good thing people in this manga can recover from stupid wounds like having holes in their stomach because maybe Zakuro will live but everybody else got fucking shrekt.

bobohoro

We Never Learn 7

That's a nice reward right there.
Still, this manga is pretty much mediocre in every way and going through the usual motions.

Tomo-chan 529

Dirty Carol deserves a hug Misuzu.

Zweizer

Banned
Kyoumen no Silhouette ch23-25 (End)

Kind of an abrupt end. It wasn't anything special, as it remained fairly inoffensive and by-the-books on the themes depicted, but it had a fair share of likeable characters and the concept of (a crossdressing) shadow was done well enough.

Too bad she ended up not accomplishing much, but I'll take that last hurrah.

Bad Kasane! I don't want to read ToG until I have another 40-100 chapter backlog, stop tempting me (if you said something about frecklesmcpunchface being punched in the face I would read).

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Hungry Marie Still fun, I hope this one sticks around for awhile.

Promisded Neverland I like the stinger, not so much this skipping in time, but I get why Oh well, shit is about to get fun!

Nanatsu no Taizai Yes! YEs! YES! YES! This was a good god damn reveal. Also, of way more importance......
Gowther's sin origin chapter next week! I am so pumped! It's been way too long since we've gotten one

kasane

lul ToG is literally one piece actually.

I feel like i havent read it in two years and it still hasnt moved much, but i guess baams identity is a pretty big revelation

Quasar

Sweet Guy - So it finished and we got a happy ending of sorts. Not what I expected.

Too Love Ru Darkness 77 - So after all that we get a non ending. Rather disappointing if that's the final word on love-ru. Nice that Momo confessed though.

Zweizer

Banned
The Yuri You Can’t Get Without Sex (One-shot) by Yotsuhara Furiko

Two fujoshi childhood friends are trapped by another fujoshi -who totally doesn't have too​ much money and free time on her hands- and can only leave if they have cute yuri sex.

A totally reasonable condition.

Lots of great lines in this. I hope it can become a proper series someday. It has a lot of potential if it can show a breath of different couples.

Shame there actually wasn't any sex.

Verelios

Tower of God 242

I feel like I'm screaming 'Bam, you stupid motherfucker...' internally every week these days. It's just...I thought after living for years with FUG he'd learn more, but nope. NOPE NOPE NOPE GJ

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 23
Pandaaaa. She's like a KurumiEX, in that she expects to be pampered and instead gets Jin'ed. Now to see whether her aggravation turns into hatred or doki doki. As always, it's fun watching the snippets of the side characters in the background. Also I'm pretty sure that "The naked mole-rat student council president does not approve of interspecies fraternisation" is a light novel title.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch530

Why him??

A Kiss and a White Lily ch30

Happy threesome end!

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch23

Panda has a cute design. I hope she'll be a permanent fixture of the club soon. It's sure to boost their popularity even more.

Kono Oto Tomare! 53

Fuck I hate when they spread the results out over like 3 pages, makes me so nervous LOL. Well at least they did leave it to a cliffhanger like I thought they would.

Last few chapters have all been pretty emotional, hell almost got me choked up a bit (almost). Really love this series man, would love to see an anime adaption to actually hear the music instead of just seeing visual representations and the like (though that stuffs good too), but hey there's a CD out now so I guess I could go back and read some of the scenes with the CD playing alongside it LOL.

Robot x Laserbeam 1

Kind of a dull chp 1. Kind of skimmed halfway through, cared more for the friendship than the being interested in gold. Yozan looks the best.

Promised Neverland

My mom theory was actually entertaining, Emma should have done it.

Dr. Stone 3
C7XzJHgXQAAb2sn.jpg:small

Pretty design, though I was hoping theyd get magical powers.

Chase17

Viz Weekly Jump
Robot Laserbeam
I liked it. Curious to see where this goes. Seeing as golf is an individual sport and Robo is already amazing I'm wondering how they can have competitions.

One Piece
Interesting plan. Should be fun to see if/when it falls apart.

Promised Neverland
So good! Wasn't expecting a time jump at all. Can't wait to see the personality change in Emma.

Dr. Stone
I'm still not really feeling this series. Lions live on.

Black Clover
I actually thought that those two were more light novel characters, but now I remember them. This series moves fast.

My Hero Academia
Bakugo always cracks me up. All might not in the clear :(

Robot X Laserbeam 1

That was okay, fairly typical first chapter for a shonen sports series. Mc seems fairly boring which doesn't help to make me want to keep reading.

BLack Clover

Didnt know magic could be packed in a bottle and still be effective. That was kind of cool.

Yuno color page was pleasing.

Food Wars
C7X3FYgX0AAIjzU.jpg:large
C7X3ULqVoAALnSU.jpg:large

Kuga is hilarious, actually most of the Erina team is hilarious.

Im guessing Soma will win though, beating her at her specialty will give them tons of momentum.

Cage was a bit much.

Viz Shonen Jump 3/20/17

One Piece

I'm sure nothing about this plan will possibly go wrong, nope, everything will go exactly as planned. Fun chapter with some good comedic moments while setting up a very tense finale to this arc.

The Promised Neverland

THAT FINAL PANEL THO

This chapter was perfect, the emotional beat down, the offer to become a mom, the time skip, the depressing tone, and then BAM AW SHIT this manga is so good.

Dr Stone

Yeah this is for sure the best of the new series, I didn't realize how much I missed the writing of the guy who did Eyeshield 21 he has perfect comedic timing.

Black Clover

Man this reality string magic shit is gonna fix way too many problems too easily :\ at least the final page was pretty funny with the suggestion of a double date.

My Hero Academia

It's an interesting dynamic since Deku is closer to Nighteye then All Might and Million is closer to All Might then Nighteye, yet they both ended up under opposite mentors. Deku and Million really need to have a conversation about this since I can already imagine million would have turned down one for all with a desire to become number one with his own power.

Food Wars Shokugeki No Soma

HAHA fucking Soma would put himself in the biggest hole possible, I wish this girl had been better established before this point so her embarrassed reaction would feel more earned.

One Punch Man

Blah this shit suuuuucks when it's not focused on Saitama, and when it focuses on Saitama it's the same dull joke over and over again. Killme.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Who knows? The OVA is meant to be something of a preview/flash forward, so maybe we will.

Not too excited about Azami showing up though.

Aka Matsui is pretty hands on on the adaptation, and even asked that the old Negima cast come back. So the chances of it fucked up is not that high.

The question is if it catches on.

It's just an OVA of the Red Leaf Viewing Festival thing right?

A UQ Holder adaptation seems nonsensical given that Negima wasn't adapted and vast amounts of UQ Holder require you to have knowledge of minute details from Negima. It's why the idea that they appended "Negima 2" to UQ Holder wasn't a big deal - it legitimately is.

That martial artist dude at the end of Dr. Stone chapter 3 is just a male Sakura from Danganronpa and they are like two steps off from calling the cast "Super High School Level"

Top Bottom