• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Can someone tell me if there was an OT thread for the manga Made in Abyss?

I could have sworn there was but I can't find it at all.

Don't recall seeing one. Looking around online real quick, it isn't even being translated anymore (and only four chapters got translated to begin with anyway), so I really doubt it inspired anyone to make an OT for it.

kasane

Man im happy ballroom is getting an anime adaptation as someone who was reading it from day 1 chapter 1. However it pains my heart mashiro no oto is completely untranslated and basically forgotten
cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png

Pennywise

It starts slowly.
I've only read 13 or so volumes but it's a masterpiece imo Need to continue someday
Nah. It fell of a cliff later on, be prepared for that.

It started pretty slow and rather weird and picks up the pace at a certain point. The manga even holds the quality over time with a few exceptions and weird ideas, but there is a certain moment when everything falls flat.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch537

What fortuitous timing!

Their Story ch127

She's no pushover at least.

Now Loading…! ch2

That didn't take long. Thanks, alcohol!

I wonder if it's a requirement for graphic designers to be weirdos.

Oh boy, I don't want to imagine the aftermath of that. On the other hand, she's still alive.

Hungry Marie ch5

They're not very good at hiding it.

Because knowing you people, you will be saying 'this is so bad, this is so trashy!" and then come back next month for more.
Pfft, when I said I was done with manga until 2018 I meant it. And I only read high quality works, not trash.

Turned into a Breast Milk Fountain by a Beautiful Vampire (Part 2.5) (NSFW)
Man, it's impressive how much backstory you can convey with just 10 pages in this format. I was right that their reunion is shaping up to be Oshimi levels of awkwardness. Assuming he still has the ring, he might actually be able to make a persuasive attempt to bring Ashton back from the dark side
(light)
. Emphasis on 'attempt' there, since his success would be incompatible with what I remember of the ending.

Now Loading…! 2

Please do not bully the gothic lolita. After the rapid movement in chp 1, we've settled back into a more traditional romcom format, with the power of alcohol working its usual magic. Wonder if the lead pairing will be the story's only couple or if a side romance will develop. If so, I guess it'd be Sahara / Samezu since they seem to have the most overt interplay together.

Daisuke Sato (highschool of the dead) just passed away. RIP :(
RIP. I'm usually big on undead stuff so I'm surprised I haven't read that yet.

Uh...I haven't even read that but knowing it's based on Drakengard makes that sort of thing a pretty safe assumption going in? That series is the ultimate edge.

Naw its different. This looked like something Kago would draw. Girls getting sliced up, heres some intestines for you.

And the games are more nihilistic then edgy. They never focused on mutilation or anything, the most you have is in Drakengard 3 with the blood splatter effects, nobody is getting chopped in half

A Trail Of Blood Ch1-3: Why am I expecting his family to be some sort of murder/cannibal sort of family - Or something equally as dark. Such an odd/interesting manga.

i forgot skip beat for about 2 years and its still at like chapter 250+ something

i thought it would be 300+ by now

I mean It's a monthly manga, and as far as I can tell the authors not missed a month since the beginning of 2015. Guess it's one of those issues of perspective as I'll admit I thought it had more than 246 chapters...

EDIT: RDB Ch1-3: From the Author of From Death Do Us Part, so I had to give it a try and so far, I'm not disappointed. Looking forward to what this can do!

Fancolors

Trail of Blood 3
Again, another chapter where barely anything happened while still managing to make me feel uneasy through the whole thing. I expect it to become a lot more exciting once the the girl confesses her feelings or something.

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) Turned into a Breast Milk Fountain by a Beautiful Vampire Part.2.5 by Kouji

Ashton used to be so cute. No wonder he turned out so well.

In today's menu, isekai.

Parallel Paradise 1
Pretty much "you have a harem now, have sex". From the guy who did that Gokukoku no Brynhildr thing.

Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi 1
it's a cooking manga. Entertaining with good art, will follow this.

Spirit Migration 25
I like how the author use a game mechanic to literally cheat. Fun times.

dramatis

I had one friend in college who highly recommended both Elfen Lied, Saikano, and a third anime that I can't remember the name of that was roughly in the same realm of edginess.

Never asked him for recommendations ever again.

upandaway

I had one friend in college who highly recommended both Elfen Lied, Saikano, and a third anime that I can't remember the name of that was roughly in the same realm of edginess.

Never asked him for recommendations ever again.
In his defense that's basically every anime fan I knew back in the early 00's (if he's anything similar then the 3rd was evangelion)

Chase17

WSJ

MHA
Not too much going on for me here. Guess it will be nice to have tsuyu and uraraka involved with the story again.

One Piece
Are these Jimbei death flags? I hope not! Lots of nice art in this chapter (and new characters to remember). Katkuri seems cool, jelly bean as a weapon is hilarious.

Promised Neverland
Wooow. Did not expect this at all. Every chapter has something going for it. I feel like this increases the chances of Norman being alive. Emma's face reacting to Ray having molaoovs was fuuny.

Black Clover
Ok chapter. Some goofy faces/panels were great though.

Robot x Laserbeam
Really liking this so far. Probably my favorite of the jump starts. Has good comedic bits. Him becoming an expert golfer from apples is pretty goofy, I like it. At first I was thinking he wouldn't be able to hit the driver, but maybe he will have a showdown with the expert and something will happen to make him like golf more.

Haikyuu 17 - 34

That was a really good set of chapters, wow.

Yeah, I'm up to chapter 39 right now (although I've seen the anime) and am really enjoying it. That stretch was really good.

Food Wars

I dont see why they laughed about using a noodle making machine. Erina made some good points.

BLack Clover 103
C77ulYzVQAA0DbQ.jpg:large

Really fun and one chapter that definitely needs to be animated. I want to see their singing and dancing especially.

YGO ARC-V 20
C7709j3VYAAW3X1.jpg:large

I hope Yuugo doesnt die then. Great reincarnation synchro combined with pendulum into synchro, and all the effects and counters. Great start.

WSJ

I was a pretty great issue with lots of OPM! That kind of surprised me, but really the whole highlight was Horikoshi's art. He his easily my favorite artist. Those color pages....wow
ea3e9af9e6da68bf09495b141b4daa62.png

Also the good thing about VIZ JUMP is the cover as less shit on it.

BTW best chapter this week is MHA.

Robot x Lasebeam 2

This second chapter actually got me to warm-up to Robo. Seeing his family and some of his motivations kind of worked with me.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Seven Deadly Sins side chapter Lol Gowther and his misunderstandings

Hungry Marie Still fun, though I don't know how I feel about it going into battle mode?

Acca - 13-Ku Kansatsuka Ch1-8: Been watching the Anime and loving it. saw someone was translating the Manga and I jumped at the chance to read it. It's a great bit of suspense drama that has a really interesting world built around it. And while I will admit I'd normally not be one for it's art style, I am - for some inexplicable reason - drawn to it, adding to the great charm of this manga. I'd highly recommend giving it a read/watch it you haven't already.

Is there a reason that LN adaptations all have the same sort of...art? Like, it's hard to describe what I'm talking about. But the thin lines and muddy composition and like...Spirit Migration looks like New Gate looks like Another Isekai Adaptation.

They all seem to look low quality when compared to other series. It's weird.

Why not just read the original novel with the high quality art than just the make a quick buck manga adaptation of an LN? Apart from just seeing a few moments drawn, Ive never found the manga adaptations to be as pleasing as the novel.

I dont see any LN that I read that had the LN artist do the manga, oddly.

They make them for the same reason they made that CG Berserk anime.

I don't think that's a fair comparison

There are a lot of people who can't get into LN and Manga or simply prefer animated versions of stuff. People want a full Berserk animated adaptation, obviously everyone hates the horrible cg style.

I'm not sure the size of the demographic that wants a manga adaptation of a series that started as a LN and got a popular anime afterwards.

dramatis

In his defense that's basically every anime fan I knew back in the early 00's (if he's anything similar then the 3rd was evangelion)
I'm not as old as you man

Friend was still recommending this stuff in 2010 (2011?). I'm pretty sure he liked EVA but that's not the third one he recommended.

The comparison I'm making is that they're both things that're clearly made to get some quick money for cheap, not to be a good or interesting adaptation

DTL asked why you wouldn't just read the superior LN over the manga adaptation since the manga is always worse with worse art. You then compared it to the Berserk manga to anime, except the old Berserk anime ended on a mega cliff hanger and a follow up anime continuing the story is something anime fans have wanted for like 20 years. It was done on the cheap yes, but it still had a purpose of bringing the post golden age arc of Berserk to the much larger anime fandom. Taking a LN or manga and converting it to a manga or LN seems rather pointless since there is a lot of audience overlap.

dramatis

Oh uh ok, I meant in like middle school. In 2010 he's probably in the minority
Weren't Darker than Black and Gantz edgy?

There was that isekai manga that had the MC being trampled on by everyone until he got himself a furry waifu, that was strangely popular with some guys here and I thought it was incredibly edgy (and awful).

I guess Attack on Titan might count as edgy too, which means Tokyo Ghoul, Terra Formars, etc. are also edgy.

....What does edgy mean today

Top Bottom