• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
lhx4H.jpg

Figured it was time for a new thread to discuss everything fashion/style/trends.
I will try my hardest to make this the most information-packed OP ever and post links to any and all good fashion resources.​

Without further ado, a couple of choice quotes regarding style, trends, and fashion:

"Fashions fade, style is eternal."
-Yves Saint Laurent

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening."
-Coco Chanel

"Style is an expression of individualism mixed with charisma. Fashion is something that comes after style.”
-John Fairchild

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."
-Henry David Thoreau

puslk.jpg

+TheStyleBlogger :: A blog by "America’s Best Dressed Real Man". Fashion tips, answers to your questions, and all things men’s style.

+TheSartorialist :: Founder/blogger/photographer Scott Schuman began The Sartorialist with the idea of creating a two-way dialogue about the world of fashion and its relationship to daily life.

+SartoriallyInclined :: This is a blog. It is about men's clothes and style. Enjoy.

+TheOutfitters :: Following The Outfitters you can brouse celebrities' (and not) outfits and get suggestions for your personal style.

+Unabashedly Prep :: The history behind the Ivies, the gentlemanliness of it all...I want my style to subtly hint at that.

+LeatherSoul :: Leather Soul’s motto is, “From our soul to your sole.” We are the anti-department store shoe department. We are shoe-lovers first and foremost.

+Dappered.com :: Fashion is temporary and expensive. Style is timeless and affordable. Dappered helps you work the retail system so that you can be comfortable, look sharp, and save money.

QgGsA.jpg

+LookBook.nu :: The internet's largest source of fashion inspiration from real people around the world.

+AskMen Fashion :: Think of us as the better site for men. For millions of guys, we offer highly relevant advice they trust and share as their own.

+SeeJackShop :: Real style for every man.

+GetKempt :: Welcome to the wide world of Kempt. We will be keeping an eye on the interesting, scandalous, useful and cutting edge in the world of men’s style, fashion and grooming.

+PutThisOn :: A web series about dressing like a grown up.

+GiltMANual :: The Daily Guide To Permanent Style

+ValetStyle :: Valet is an independently-published lifestyle Web site delivering all the style and substance of a contemporary men's magazine without all those irritating subscription cards.

+Everlane :: At Everlane, we bring the boutique shopping experience online. Our curators — a group of designers, musicians and product innovators — have great taste and help select awesome products people want to buy.

P5WUB.jpg

+Cultizm
  • Here you'll find anything from Nike & Lee Jeans up to Nudie Jeans and Red Wing Shoes
+JackThreads
  • Awesome online discount retailer.
  • You'll find anything from basic T-Shirts to Full-Blown All-Weather Jackets, to all types of shoes. Deep discounts.
  • Highly Recommended.
+GiltMan
+Yoox
+6PM
+Aldo'sShoes
+Ledbury
+ASOS
+ModernTailor.com
+EpauletShop
  • Men's Clothing (Trousers / Woven Shirts) and outerwear.
  • $100-200 per item.
+ApolisGlobal
  • Great T-Shirts, Outerwear, and Accessories.
  • Ranges from $48 T-Shirts (3 for $99) up to ~$300-400 for jackets.
+ContextClothing
  • Pretty pricey, but has nice shirts, jackets and denim. Sells APC and has a pretty good stock of them as well as KMW, Nudie, etc. Carries special Alden shoes, Canada Goose, Band of Outsiders, Wings + Horns, etc.
  • -Expect to spend a lot.
+Wolf[vs]Goat
  • Great collared shirts and knits.
  • $120-150 for shirts, they're very nice though. Great colors and patterns.
+BlueInGreenSoho
+SelfEdge
  • Denim, denim, denim. Between these two you can definitely find whatever you're looking for.
  • ~$200+
+NAU.com
  • Nice outerwear, good for waterproof/windproof urbany apparel. (Not a combination of Urban Outfitters / American Apparel)
  • Made from recycled materials and stuffs... you know.
  • Somewhat pricey, probably ~200-250 for basic jackets, then goes on up from there.

j68Hv.jpg

Who is Professor Badass?

Yql0n.jpg

Shaft meets Lex Luthor meets Doctor Who. That's who Professor Badass is.​

In all seriousness, that's Kevin Stewart; fashion designer, style director for ESPN Magazine and co-owner of the Roger Charles New York design studio. So, the downside is that Professor Badass does little more than design pretty outfits for fancy boys. But the upside? This wasnt even a photo shoot; thats just how he rolls on an average day. Professor Badass? Shit, that's just Tuesday for Kevin Stewart.

In June 2010, Kevin Stewart had an interview with qu3stions.com about his work in the fashion industry.
The last question deals with the Professor Badass meme itself.
The following is Kevin Stewart’s reaction to it :

3Q: I usually only ask three questions, but I have one more for you: how do you feel about the “Professor Badass” meme, and the adulation that your own personal style has received as a result?

KS: Its funny that you’ve seen that photo. That was one moment many of my exploration of style. The beard I wore at the time had taken on a life of its own, and grew in salt and pepper. It made me look years older than I am. It just made sense to look that way at the time. I also had a thing for the civil war. It’s a long story. Dressing for me is fun – it is a part of me. If other people get what I’m doing, great. That’s always been my approach to dressing. “Professor Badass” will always be a part of me. It was very cool that I was given that name for that photo.

In the field of publishing I’ve had the liberty to try out different styles. Deep down I’m an updated-traditionalist. I believe in the tradition of looking good as a confident man.

DdsNo.jpg

Very much a W.I.P. I'll be adding site/blog descriptions as I have time and adding more and more resources. Always looking for more input and suggestions, so let me know! Also, please feel free to share your favorite sites/blogs/shops.

Changelog

+OP Created
+Added Yoox, Aldo's, StyleForum, SuperFuture, and GiltMANual links.
+Added Unabashedly Prep, Everlane, Ledbury, ASOS links.
+Added LeatherSoul link.

+Added plenty of Shops
+Added lots of Descriptions/Reviews

Bit-Bit

Yes! Great OP. Subscribed to a couple of the blogs you posted. Can't wait to see what Gaf's style is like.

Also, I'd really like to buy some boots that wouldn't break my bank account. I really like the cowboy style of clothing. But some of those boots are way too high.

Why, look, gaf delivers just when I'm ready to buy new clothes and stop dressing awful. Bookmarked for future reference.

Bit-Bit said:
Yes! Great OP. Subscribed to a couple of the blogs you posted. Can't wait to see what Gaf's style is like.

Also, I'd really like to buy some boots that wouldn't break my bank account. I really like the cowboy style of clothing. But some of those boots are way too high.
A lot of people on here don't like this place, but Aldo's usually has a pretty good selection of boots. Nothing bank-breaking, either.

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/boots

Also, check out 6pm, which I linked to in the OP. They offer INCREDIBLE deals on shoes, boots, clothes, etc.

Bit-Bit

RJNavarrete said:
A lot of people on here don't like this place, but Aldo's usually has a pretty good selection of boots. Nothing bank-breaking, either.

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/boots

Also, check out 6pm, which I linked to in the OP. They offer INCREDIBLE deals on shoes, boots, clothes, etc.

Holy shit, those boots from aldo is exactly what I've been looking for. Now to set some money aside for the next month.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
May I suggest Everlane for the blog section now and the shop section later in the fall when their store opens? ASOS should also be in the shops.

I love a lot of what the Dandy Project features and all his DIY stuff, but it's probably a bit much for this thread. ;)

Cosmic Bus said:
May I suggest Everlane for the blog section now and the shop section later in the fall when their store opens? ASOS should also be in the shops.

I love a lot of what the Dandy Project features and all his DIY stuff, but it's probably a bit much for this thread. ;)
ADDED.

LordCanti said:
I can hear my wallet crying.
Same here. I get my small bonus check this week, so I'm getting a new suit and dress shoes. Might look for a nice fall/winter coat, too.

Leunam

Anyone have suggestions for a light jacket? Right now my only options are nothing and heavy (Texas) winter jacket so I'm looking for something in the middle.

Leunam said:
Anyone have suggestions for a light jacket? Right now my only options are nothing and heavy (Texas) winter jacket so I'm looking for something in the middle.
What style? Usually JackThreads has MembersOnly Jackets for pretty good prices, if you like those.

Example of the current sale:

9N1q9.png

soultron

Banned
Nice job, OP.

Subscribed. Liking the mention of JackThreads. My favourite so far! Looking forward to getting some classier stuff and discussing it with GAF. :]

Leunam

I'm liking those jackets. Maybe something darker, but that's a good suggestion. I'll check out JackThreads when I get home. Thanks!

soultron said:
Nice job, OP.

Subscribed. Liking the mention of JackThreads. My favourite so far! Looking forward to getting some classier stuff and discussing it with GAF. :]
Thanks. And yea, I love JT. I've bought a few items from there [wallet, jacket, shirt, belt], and I've had absolutely no issues. I love the fact that they normally tell you the model's height/weight in the description of the products, so you know more or less what a S/M/L would look like on you. I'm 6'2" 220 lbs, as are most of their models :D

Leunam said:
I'm liking those jackets. Maybe something darker, but that's a good suggestion. I'll check out JackThreads when I get home. Thanks!

They also have a black one that I didn't get in the screencap :p

Milchjon

Are suspenders/braces acceptable right now? Bought some pants at Zara that came with suspenders, and realized that I actually quite like them, but I'm not sure if I can muster the courage to actually wear them...

Milchjon said:
Are suspenders/braces acceptable right now? Bought some pants at Zara that came with suspenders, and realized that I actually quite like them, but I'm not sure if I can muster the courage to actually wear them...
With a bowtie and sans a belt, yea. Keep 'em black, too.

Approve of this thread!

So I started a pretty formal job in May. Basically I require full dress attire minus the suit coat. Right now I'm basically going into work Monday through Friday rotating through my various suit pants, dress shirts, and ties. Is there a way I could mix this up and get more creative? I figure in fall/winter I'll be able to mix it up with sweaters and whatnot, but what about in these summer months? It's only been two months and I feel like my whole wardrobe has been seen way too many times..

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
While I'm sure this is more of a clothing thread, I just wanted to say that I've been thinking about what to do with my hair now that I'm growing a big burly beard (but I remain balding). My hair is short, but Kevin Stewart has me thinking I might benefit from shaving my head and rocking just the beard.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
What kind of fit are you supposed to buy jeans length-wise? Are you supposed to roll the bottom of your jeans?

Dr. Feel Good said:
Approve of this thread!

So I started a pretty formal job in May. Basically I require full dress attire minus the suit coat. Right now I'm basically going into work Monday through Friday rotating through my various suit pants, dress shirts, and ties. Is there a way I could mix this up and get more creative? I figure in fall/winter I'll be able to mix it up with sweaters and whatnot, but what about in these summer months? It's only been two months and I feel like my whole wardrobe has been seen way too many times..
I'd wear an occasional suit anyway, IMO, especially if upper management does. Now I wouldn't go crazy with pocket squares and boutonniere shit, will be seen as too 'precious'. For mixing it up try colors/textures/patterns outside of the standard work shirt blue/blah stripe pants/zzz grey etc. For summer just wear lighter colors in lighter fabrics. Try seersucker.

suffah said:
What kind of fit are you supposed to buy jeans length-wise? Are you supposed to roll the bottom of your jeans?
I get them probably an inch or so longer than my pants; some people like to "stack" their hems which I think looks awful. The rolling you are probably seeing around the internets are people wearing raw denim and not hemming them to avoid shrinkage. When I wear raw I just hem about an inch longer than normal, depending on the denim, and they're fine.

Dr. Feel Good said:
Approve of this thread!

Buy a lot of ties.
Wear a waistcoat/vest once in a while. It looks amazing if it's properly fitted.
Experiment with colors/patterns.

that pattern = broguing fyi :) .. The perfed shoes are fine, but they are going to be inherently less 'formal' than a simple shoe with little to no embellishments. Not that it would be a faux pas to wear them to a formal event (they would be fine, actually), just letting you know what's up in the grander scheme of things. Get whichever you like, though I think broguing looks better on brown shoes.

Draft

Yeah, I need to go sans pattern for work shoes.

These are good shoes, right? They mentioned them in the Put This On episode on shoes...

Draft said:
Fashion is confusing to me, but I like this site:

http://putthison.com/

It makes me less confused.

Here's a question, you stylish mother fuckers. I'm going to buy some nice shoes. Probably some Allen Edmonds. These would be for work, and maybe a little formal play. What do you think, with the pattern:

http://imgur.com/mtlH6

Or without the pattern:

http://i.imgur.com/oiF9i.jpg

I kind of like the pattern...
I wore the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue black to my wedding. For an every day work shoe I'd get the pattern.

entremet

Draft said:
Yeah, I need to go sans pattern for work shoes.

These are good shoes, right? They mentioned them in the Put This On episode on shoes...
Just get captoes. Theyre as plain and conservative as you can get.

AE are well made and will last a long time. They are considered the 'entry level' of good, well-crafted shoes in that they lack some of the detail and nuance of say Crockett & Jones and etc. That said, you really can't go wrong with them and they are easy to get on a good discount, and best of all they will readily obliterate 90% of the footwear your coworkers will be sporting.

Subscribed :) And yeah expand it!

thetrin said:
While I'm sure this is more of a clothing thread, I just wanted to say that I've been thinking about what to do with my hair now that I'm growing a big burly beard (but I remain balding). My hair is short, but Kevin Stewart has me thinking I might benefit from shaving my head and rocking just the beard.

It really depends on your face shape! You don't want to emphasize the wrong things. For example, if you have a round face, shaving your head will only highlight the roundness. Professor Badass works because he has an oval face shape, and that shape goes with most any do

macuser1of5 said:
I'd wear an occasional suit anyway, IMO, especially if upper management does. Now I wouldn't go crazy with pocket squares and boutonniere shit, will be seen as too 'precious'. For mixing it up try colors/textures/patterns outside of the standard work shirt blue/blah stripe pants/zzz grey etc. For summer just wear lighter colors in lighter fabrics. Try seersucker.

I know it's good to show off once in awhile, but trust me when I say wearing the suit coat would make me feel way out of place. Really only the highest of upper management wears the whole suit attire, and that's not even every day.

I feel like I do tend fall into the blue shirt routine too much though, but I moved from urban Minneapolis --> to smaller (ish) area in Wisconsin so I don't have as much options. I have to buy most stuff online when it comes to clothes, and it's frustrating. Where do you guys tend to look for dress shirts/ties?

RJNavarrete said:
Buy a lot of ties.
Wear a waistcoat/vest once in a while. It looks amazing if it's properly fitted.
Experiment with colors/patterns.

For what it's worth I'm at a collection of about 40 ties (all pretty damn nice too), and I'm trying to buy a new one every week or two. Again, suggestions on places to buy? Also, I feel like it's hard to pull of the "skinny" tie look, so I try and avoid that.

Got any examples of waistcoats or vests? I don't think I've ever even worn one...

Dr. Feel Good said:
I know it's good to show off once in awhile, but trust me when I say wearing the suit coat would make me feel way out of place. Really only the highest of upper management wears the whole suit attire, and that's not even every day.

I feel like I do tend fall into the blue shirt routine too much though, but I moved from urban Minneapolis --> to smaller (ish) area in Wisconsin so I don't have as much options. I have to buy most stuff online when it comes to clothes, and it's frustrating. Where do you guys tend to look for dress shirts/ties?

For what it's worth I'm at a collection of about 40 ties (all pretty damn nice too), and I'm trying to buy a new one every week or two. Again, suggestions on places to buy? Also, I feel like it's hard to pull of the "skinny" tie look, so I try and avoid that.

Got any examples of waistcoats or vests? I don't think I've ever even worn one...
I usually just use my three-piece suits without the jackets. I've got three 3-piece suits right now, so I have variety. Black/Grey/Grey pinstripe.

As for ties, try www.thetiebar.com They have an insane inventory for $15 a piece! Yes. Only $15! Quality isn't the GREATEST, but they do very well for being fifteen bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom