• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only heard second hand info re: Aldo, but it has not been positive. Try Creative Recreation, Generic Man, or even Adidas Rod Laver. They have Doucal's on yoox for pretty good prices at the moment, made well with nice materials.

macuser1of5 said:
I've only heard second hand info re: Aldo, but it has not been positive. Try Creative Recreation, Generic Man, or even Adidas Rod Laver. They have Doucal's on yoox for pretty good prices at the moment, made well with nice materials.
Creative recreation is good stuff. Usually a bit unique, though they do have some nice basic designs.

Lunchbox

Banned
anyone know what these jackets are called?

BgOnW.png

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
More thrift store love from me: picked up a flawless pair of Cheap Monday jeans, Blood Is the New Black tank, a neat sterling silver lion pendant, and some huge patterned scarves that I'm going to hang on the wall, all for $20. :D

Decado said:
Had a hell of a time trying to find something I really wanted, so had to pick this up for a wedding:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/img0072iz.jpg/

Keep or return and continue the search?

Also, what about this for a simple sneaker?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/img0066jha.jpg/

thanks

The wedding shoe doesn't look bad. I can't really tell much of a shoe's quality from pictures anyway. Mind if I ask you where you got those from?

I like the New Balances! Though I prefer Nylites, I think the NBs will serve you well

Where would you guys buy necklaces or chains? I know where to get earrings, watches, and hats but I can't seem to find necklaces for guys anywhere. Also, no dog tags please.

Lazy

Great thread!

What kind of watch is recommended for dudes like myself with extremely skinny wrists? Budget limited to $200.

Also, any recommendations for skinny chinos? Thinking of going with a pair of Club Monaco skinny chinos that really fit great when I tried them on, but not sure how well they last.

Decado

latinlikeaviolin said:
The wedding shoe doesn't look bad. I can't really tell much of a shoe's quality from pictures anyway. Mind if I ask you where you got those from?

I like the New Balances! Though I prefer Nylites, I think the NBs will serve you well
Wedding shoes are from Aldo (not on sale, sadly). At this point I don't want to spend a lot of money on shoes until I find a really good style for me. Aldo, while not top quality, is reasonably priced, for the most part.

Out of curiosity, how many pairs of shoes do you guys have? What are the "must have" styles?

5-6 sneakers, 5 dress shoes, a pair of boots, a pair of running shoes and some winter boots. I'll probably end up with another pair of boots and maybe another pair of dress shoes and call it good for a while.

macuser1of5 said:
5-6 sneakers, 5 dress shoes, a pair of boots, a pair of running shoes and some winter boots. I'll probably end up with another pair of boots and maybe another pair of dress shoes and call it good for a while.
Sounds like a very nice collection. I'm probably going to have a similar one by next fall.

Decado said:
Wedding shoes are from Aldo (not on sale, sadly). At this point I don't want to spend a lot of money on shoes until I find a really good style for me. Aldo, while not top quality, is reasonably priced, for the most part.

Out of curiosity, how many pairs of shoes do you guys have? What are the "must have" styles?

2 sneakers, 2 espadrilles, 1 pair of bucks, 1 pair of chukkas, 1 pair of boat shoes, 1 pair of loafers, 1 pair of captoe oxfords, 1 pair of winter boots. I think my shoe collection sucks though.

For essentials: formal black oxfords, brown dress shoes (less formal than balmorals/oxfords), sneakers, winter boots, fall boots (chukkas, hiking boots)

TxdoHawk

Let me think...I've got:

- Three pairs of Adidas Superstars (White, black with cyan laces, gray snakeskin)
- A beat-to-shit pair of black AE Park Avenues I bought for $30 off Ebay (bar/club dress shoes)
- An immaculate pair of AE Strands in Chestnut (that I am terrified to wear anywhere for fear of ruining them, lol.)
- Navy Sperry Topsiders
- A pair of grey Sperry suede loafers. Ugly beyond belief, comfortable beyond belief.
- An ugly, square-toed pair of black Kenneth Cole dress shoes (my emergency pair of dress shoes)
- Ugly brown moc-toe loafers from Rockport (work shoes, pretty much bought because they were cheap and comfortable)
- Johnston and Murphy suede wingtips, grey
- White Superga canvas laceups.
- Eggshell-colored Lugz sneakers that look better in person than they do in photos. (They were $10, if you're wondering why I bothered.)

So, a dozen pairs. Yes, I have a problem.

Thankfully this pretty much covers the gamut of anything I'd ever want to wear shoe-wise. Of course, my white Superstars are starting to look ratty...and I sure would like a pair of Tigers just to see what the fuss is about...and I really should have a second pair of work shoes so I can rotate and make them last longer...

Edit: Oh, I forgot a pair of J.Crew flip-flops that I only wear when at the beach, so essentially never.

Decado said:

Ughh. Too many (28). I'm slowly phasing out the sneakers and trying to go with more boat/bucks/casual shoes. At one point, I pretty much only wore jordans and nike sbs (lol, college days).

Sneakers:
5 retro air jordans
2 hightop sb dunks
2 basketball shoes (indoor/outdoor)
2 running shoes (rotate every few weeks)
1 Chuck Taylors for the gym

Casual:
4 TOMS (3 cordones style, 1 chukka)
3 Sperry Chukkas
2 Clarks Desert Boots
1 Converse Boat Shoes
1 Blue Suede Bucks
1 moc toe boots (for fall/winter, weather doesn't get that bad here)
2 Sanuk loafers

Work:
2 pairs of Ecco dress shoes for the office (brown/black)

So I got the Calvin Klein Collection suit in the mail... Anyone currently looking for a suit, or at least a ridiculous bargain on a well-made suit (half-canvassed, finished waistband and lined to the knee) would be wise to run over to yoox and pick one up. I'm a US small and the 46/36 fits perfectly, save standard sleeve and hem length adjustments.

Enron

Banned
Let's see, currently I've got 1 pair of chukkas, 1 pair of saddle shoes, 2 pairs of bucks (dirty bucks for spring/summer, chocolate for fall and winter), 3 pairs of boat shoes (1 beater pair, 1 navy pair, 1 brown pair - all sperry AOs), 1 pair of super-cheap bostonian captoes for dressy occassions (might as well cheap out for something you wear once or twice a year), 2 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of NB 993s that i only wear when walking/jogging, 3 pairs of boots (including Alden Indys)

I ebay'd 2 pair of Alden boots earlier this year that didn't really work for me.

TxdoHawk said:
So, a dozen pairs. Yes, I have a problem.

You don't really have a problem until half of them are Aldens.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
I love this thread.

Where do you super skinny guys recommend buying dress shirts? I'm 6'2" and 143lb (bodyfat <5% and well muscled so NO I don't look like a corpse) but my lanky body doesn't work for most conventional measurements. Even the slim-fit dress shirts I tried on at Mens Warehouse certainly need to be tailored. I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg just to get clothes that fit well, but I'll do what I must.

Help?

CFMOORE!

themadhatter444 said:
I love this thread.

Where do you super skinny guys recommend buying dress shirts? I'm 6'2" and 143lb (bodyfat <5% and well muscled so NO I don't look like a corpse) but my lanky body doesn't work for most conventional measurements. Even the slim-fit dress shirts I tried on at Mens Warehouse certainly need to be tailored. I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg just to get clothes that fit well, but I'll do what I must.

Help?

i don't see how a 6'2 person weighing 143lbs doesn't look like a corpse. Anyways, men's warehouse is the start of your troubles. try the slim fit stuff from banana republic, express and stuff like that. that's my quick and easy advice for now. in addition try sizing down one step. for the most part small at banana republic was fitting me just fine, but then i tried XS and realized it's an even better fit.

Enron

Banned
themadhatter444 said:
I love this thread.

Help?

Brooks Brothers.

If you are a man, you need no other for dress shirts. They are known for being cut big, but to combat that they offer like 4 or 5 different cuts. Their extra slim might work for you.

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT buy anything "non-iron".

themadhatter444

Neo Member
CFMOORE! said:
i don't see how a 6'2 person weighing 143lbs doesn't look like a corpse. Anyways, men's warehouse is the start of your troubles. try the slim fit stuff from banana republic, express and stuff like that. that's my quick and easy advice for now. in addition try sizing down one step. for the most part small at banana republic was fitting me just fine, but then i tried XS and realized it's an even better fit.

Enron said:
Brooks Brothers.

If you are a man, you need no other for dress shirts. They are known for being cut big, but to combat that they offer like 4 or 5 different cuts. Their extra slim might work for you.

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT buy anything "non-iron".

Thanks dudes. Will head to BB and Banana Republic this weekend. Both are close to me.

Kudos!

LordCanti

themadhatter444 said:
Thanks dudes. Will head to BB and Banana Republic this weekend. Both are close to me.

Kudos!

Try BR online first. They have 30% sales all the time, and their stuff isn't quite as expensive as it is in store (especially in their sale section, which I've never seen in an actual BR).

themadhatter444 said:
I love this thread.

Help?
Express 1MX Fitted shirts, end of story. They're $60 (I think?) each but they're very nice.

On the cheaper end, H&M, but the quality of their stuff is seriously hit and miss.

Edit: I can't help but think of Brook's Brothers as having more traditional styles, so it's not really for people under 30. But that's just my take on it.

LordCanti

Dave Inc. said:
Edit: I can't help but think of Brook's Brothers as having more traditional styles, so it's not really for people under 30. But that's just my take on it.

I agree with this. BB is fine for work clothes, if you work in an office or something though. I wouldn't shop them for contemporary (youthful) styles.

jon bones said:
great work on that OP!
Thanks bones. We need some fit pics man! When you show us something new?

On a related note, I think I want to start a WAYWT (What are you wearing today) thing, but I worry I'd be the only one posting lol.

Enron

Banned
Dave Inc. said:

macuser1of5 said:
Eh, their options are pretty limited.

LordCanti said:
I agree with this. BB is fine for work clothes, if you work in an office or something though. I wouldn't shop them for contemporary (youthful) styles.

I was waiting for posts like this, lol.

Remember - the guy did ask for advice on DRESS shirts.

I would never send one of you young fashionista types to Brooks for an entire wardrobe. But for dressy clothes, they are timeless and classic and hard to beat for reasonable money.

None of my dress shirts or formal clothing is from Brooks, though. Being a 'fashionista' has nothing to do with it :p

On a related note, I think I want to start a WAYWT (What are you wearing today) thing, but I worry I'd be the only one posting lol.
I tried on the last page but nobody said anything or followed suit ;(

LordCanti

macuser1of5 said:
I tried on the last page but nobody said anything or followed suit ;(

I don't have a full length mirror, and I have no desire to ask anyone if they can take some photos of me, lol.

I'm also terrible with the self timer function of my camera.

Desi

I am not consistent in my dress or my willingness to take pictures on a constant basis. though it is nice to get feedback here and there.
Dave Inc. said:
Not true. They launched their University collection last fall which is full of younger slimmer and more daring pieces all around. Brooks Brothers also have the Thom Browne Black Fleece label for all your fashion forward needs.

LordCanti

Desi said:
I am not consistent in my dress or my willingness to take pictures on a constant basis. though it is nice to get feedback here and there.
Not true. They launched their University collection last fall which is full of younger slimmer and more daring pieces all around. Brooks Brothers also have the Thom Browne Black Fleece label for all your fashion forward needs.

It's a matter of personal taste I guess. Personally, I'm not liking anything I'm seeing in the Black Fleece collection (nor the $170 a pop price for a button up shirt). None of the stuff in their regular collection is jumping out at me either.

Any of the guys in any of the pictures for this "back to campus" collection, wouldn't have been out of place as the villain in a John Hughes movie from the 80's (except for the guy in the glasses.)

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/campusandtown/campus.tem#/section/1

Zilch

Banned
I'll take pics, I just need a new camera first.

I've been pinch rolling the cuffs of my pants lately and I'm lovin it.

Enron

Banned
Desi said:

The Thom Browne stuff is only carried in certain stores, and honestly the "university" stuff is basically just Prep/Trad cut for college/teenagers. Its JCrew with slightly better quality. Judging from pics in this thread and in the old thread, most of this thread's audience probably isn't interested in the University stuff.

I was interested in Black Fleece a few years ago, but their cut is really not for me, and the shirt sleeves are surprisingly short. The line, though sometimes idiosyncratic and weird, isn't really that far removed from standard prep attire.

LordCanti

Enron said:
The Thom Browne stuff is only carried in certain stores, and honestly the "university" stuff is basically just Prep/Trad cut for college/teenagers. Its JCrew with slightly better quality. Judging from pics in this thread and in the old thread, most of this thread's audience probably isn't interested in the University stuff.

I like to prep it up sometimes. Just not...that much. I'll cop to owning a few articles of clothing from A&F, that were purchased during sales, and that don't have the A&F logo anywhere on them (yet look preptastic).

Is rolling up the cuff of your pants a spring/summer thing? I don't see the practicality in the winter, but what if you live in a place where fall isn't really full of adverse weather?

macuser1of5 said:
So I got the Calvin Klein Collection suit in the mail... Anyone currently looking for a suit, or at least a ridiculous bargain on a well-made suit (half-canvassed, finished waistband and lined to the knee) would be wise to run over to yoox and pick one up. I'm a US small and the 46/36 fits perfectly, save standard sleeve and hem length adjustments.

Before heading off to the tailor... Just about an inch or so off the sleeves and a bit of break on the pants. I might need to get a couple more of them, my current work suits really aren't that great, and I have had them since I got out of school. :/

Desi

kevo_huevo said:
Is rolling up the cuff of your pants a spring/summer thing? I don't see the practicality in the winter, but what if you live in a place where fall isn't really full of adverse weather?
for some it can be any time of year!

02celine-barsamian-tmagArticle.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
At an average of twice the price, I would hope so.

Like I said a while back in the other thread, value and the perceived quality that comes along with that means different things to different people; it has to be a sliding scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom