• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with that principle for a majority of clothing items, dress shoes should at least be welted/well made; they just wear better and you get a substantially better return on your money as a result. This isn't to say that you need to spend $400+ to get a decent pair of shoes, but IME cemented soles don't wear nicely over time, they tend to reach a certain point and just immediately disintegrate.

Haha, those Japanese labels know how to lay on the wallet hurt. I wanted some Kolor for the summer but myyy goddd... And let's not even talk about Undercover and Junya Watanabe.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
macuser1of5 said:
Haha, those Japanese labels know how to lay on the wallet hurt. I wanted some Kolor for the summer but myyy goddd... And let's not even talk about Undercover and Junya Watanabe.
Yeah, it really sucks, because I love a lot of Junya, Visvim, Bedwin, etc. Really have to troll sales and such to keep my bank account from being decimated. Still, in the case of stuff like Junya, a lot of the good shit goes quickly, and without a price drop.

Here is an eBay search I saved up (more like took from a blog) for some damn good shoes at fractions of the price. I try to avoid paying full price for clothes, especially for stuff like Aldo and even Florsheim, and looking around eBay has helped me out so much.

Patriots7

themadhatter444 said:
I love this thread.

Where do you super skinny guys recommend buying dress shirts? I'm 6'2" and 143lb (bodyfat <5% and well muscled so NO I don't look like a corpse) but my lanky body doesn't work for most conventional measurements. Even the slim-fit dress shirts I tried on at Mens Warehouse certainly need to be tailored. I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg just to get clothes that fit well, but I'll do what I must.

Help?
I'm in the same boat. 6'4" and 160.

Charles Tyrwhitt has some of the best shirts I've bought that just fit me perfectly. Slim of course.
Ralph Lauren isn't too bad either I'd have to say, their custom fit shirts fit great also.

Bradlums

RJNavarrete said:
:lol Well, if that's not prep what would you call it?
No I agree the look is prep, but back in the high school I went to, preps were known as the kids who wore all American Eagle and Hollister, in other words, people with no sense of style.

Noshino

Aldo's are okay, unfortunately I have indeed heard stories about their built quality.

While Steve Madden also has bad rep with women shoes, their build quality seems to fare better with their male shoes.

http://www.stevemadden.com/Category.aspx?id=128&nav=421&np=128_421

I need to stop buying shoes, but they are just....so hard not to :C

Bradlums said:
No I agree the look is prep, but back in the high school I went to, preps were known as the kids who wore all American Eagle and Hollister, in other words, people with no sense of style.

that's just awful.

Enron

Banned
Bradlums said:

"Prep" in high school just refers to the popular or rich kid crowd.

Stryder

Great thread, will definitely keep an eye on it.

I am totally hooked on MrPorter.com btw. They made a killing off me from their sale not too long ago.

I just got a Ralph Lauren Black Label Anthony suit from them and had the pants tailored today, really happy with the sizing of the whole lot. Will try and get some pics up I'm that happy with it :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Zilch

Banned
i know these are sort of the thing to drool over on tumblr right now, but Sid Mashburn's double monkstraps look so good:
8fCAJl.jpg

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/footwear.html

Essentially nothing but heel stitching, but you'll find varieties with broguing and other embellishments , ie:

C11ZE.jpg

Hard to form as you can imagine; and it's too bad any worth getting (IMO) are $600+. So I just stick to plain toe or captoe oxfords for now :(

Zilch

Banned
Wow, those are essentially leather pouches with foot slits in them. Pretty cool actually, didn't know such a thing exists.

Captoe oxfords are my go-to as well (Sid Mashburn also makes a sick pair) but I find the monkstraps intriguing.

tumblr_lpkg1hSzSQ1qbbuk6o1_500.png

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
never could get into monkstraps... classic wingtips, captoe boots, #8 cordovan wingtip boots + indy boots make me feel like i have a pretty versatile collection as it is.

a friend gave me a $50 card to gilt + i had some $30 off coupon - picked this up for free.99.

trying to find which of my shirts it would go best with. i'm thinking it has to be a solid color oxford collar shirt. maybe salmon or grey. what say you?

300x400.jpg

Larson Conway said:
Marvelous thread.

I propose we do a mini-lookbook here. Post pics of yourself in your personal style.

Thumbs up, Mr. Navarrete!
Thank you kind sir.

That lookbook idea sounds great to me. I'll try to get some pics up soon. Someone else feel free to kick it off!

charsace

jon bones said:
never could get into monkstraps... classic wingtips, captoe boots, #8 cordovan wingtip boots + indy boots make me feel like i have a pretty versatile collection as it is.

a friend gave me a $50 card to gilt + i had some $30 off coupon - picked this up for free.99.

trying to find which of my shirts it would go best with. i'm thinking it has to be a solid color oxford collar shirt. maybe salmon or grey. what say you?

300x400.jpg
salmon colored shirt. Maybe even a shade of green.

RJNavarrete said:
Someone else feel free to kick it off!
twAAk.jpg

What a punchable face lol.

edit: oh ok... ermanno scervino turtleneck, morphine generation shorts*, common projects hi-tops.

*these are kind of shit for the money tbh.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Larson Conway said:
Marvelous thread.

I propose we do a mini-lookbook here. Post pics of yourself in your personal style.

Thumbs up, Mr. Navarrete!

i'm down to do some lookbook stuff in here... especially with fall right around the corner

Cosmic Bus said:
Grabbed this rockin' '70s red leather bag, though:
Been wanting to try COLOR bags, but I can't seem to rock them. I usually stick to brown/black or some other mute colors. Bright-colored bags just don't look good with me, lol.

macuser1of5 said:
Some evening attire, plz don't mind the post-vacation-haven't-shaved part lol :(
U4WnO.jpg
The pants have really nice fit on you. I should get myself a brown pair as well. Would look great with most of my plaids, methinks.

My contribution:

aQdbF.jpg

I've been wearing a lot of loose button-downs lately, like a size or two bigger than my usual. The stuff I have on above has more or less become my outfit template for days-out. I don't know what brands I'm wearing though, haha. If they look nice, fit me well and are durable enough, I'm good.

Jump in, style-GAF!

^^ Repeating from the last thread, but I got those brown pants in a small and they run tiny, and would probably fit you (waist 28-29"). Willing to let them go for around half under their current sale price ($111), since I don't know what else to do with them lol

macuser1of5 said:
^^ Repeating from the last thread, but I got those brown pants in a small and they run tiny, and would probably fit you (waist 28-29"). Willing to let them go for around half under their current sale price ($111), since I don't know what else to do with them lol
Not much of an outfit-repeater are you? I think you can do lots of mixing and matching with that pair. In any case, let me trim down my waistline to 29 as I'm currently a 32, lol.

Enron

Banned
that jacket looks like it might be a tad too tight (hard to tell with the dark color), and the sleeves are too short. Show cuff, but that's too much cuff imo. Looks like there's something odd going on with the shoulders as well.

threenote

Banned
I fixed the picture a little, since the last one doesn't really portray the jacket that well:

kh33E.png

I think I'm going to take the jacket back, to be honest.

Yeah, shoulders are a bit narrow and sleeves are a bit short, though you could pull your shirt sleeves up a bit (1/4 inch) too. The chest is fine from what I can see. It really doesn't look bad, just on the slim side. Are your pants rolled or cuffed? I can't quite tell... If the former I would cuff them when wearing them in this kind of dressier outfit (white shirt blue blazer).

Decado

Enron said:
Brooks Brothers.

If you are a man, you need no other for dress shirts. They are known for being cut big, but to combat that they offer like 4 or 5 different cuts. Their extra slim might work for you.

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT buy anything "non-iron".
Is this advice specific to him, or general advice? Any particularly reason why?

I think they are coated in something that helps them achieve that non-iron (should really be 'anti-wrinkle') ability, which from what I've heard makes the cotton a little less breathable/pleasant to wear. I don't have any first-hand knowledge of them, just going off what I've read about them on the internets. It only takes a few minutes to iron a shirt (less if you only focus on the critical areas), but if you want to avoid a wrinkled mess, the Gitman Vintage shirts I have are pretty wrinkle-resistant, probably owing to the fabric weave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom