• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

so i'm browsing around JackThreads to plot my fall/winter look and i stumble upon this.

thoughts?

BcCNA.jpg

not buying it but it just really caught my eye cause it'd match a pair of Jordans I have.

bjscott05

Ok fashion GAF. I am thinking about buying some Wayfarers in tortoise but I need to know if it is ok for men to wear them. I like black as well, but I mainly wear brown shoes and I feel tortoise might work better with those.

Any thoughts guys?

bjscott05 said:
Ok fashion GAF. I am thinking about buying some Wayfarers in tortoise but I need to know if it is ok for men to wear them. I like black as well, but I mainly wear brown shoes and I feel tortoise might work better with those.

Any thoughts guys?
Tortoise is what I'd go with. Black is too common.

Eric WK

I spilled candle wax on my suede Desert Boots last night. There's some method to removing wax where you put paper bags on either side of whatever was stained and use an iron to transfer the wax to the paper bag. But I don't know if that's going to fuck up the boots even worse. =/

threenote

Banned
Check out the Aldens I bought! They should be here by the end of next week

40714H_2_WEB_large.jpg

Also bought some RRLs, Context x Momotaro jeans, APC NS, Persol 0649s and more!!!!

threenote

Banned
Also, I need to bring this up:

Go to Target and buy some V-Necks, Henleys, and basics. There is no shame in that.

I bought a ton of henleys for $6, marled v-necks for $8. I will never go to JCrew again, they are thieves.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
threenote said:

40714H_2_WEB_large.jpg

Also bought some RRLs, Context x Momotaro jeans, APC NS, Persol 0649s and more!!!!
Love Aldens. Lookin great!

Guevara

threenote said:
Also, I need to bring this up:

Go to Target and buy some V-Necks, Henleys, and basics. There is no shame in that.

I bought a ton of henleys for $6, marled v-necks for $8. I will never go to JCrew again, they are thieves.
Cosigned. Target has some really good basics, especially their plain t-shirts. I bought a couple to test them out, they're fitted just right and didn't shrink at all in the wash. I'm getting every color when I go back.

Yeah I've been hitting up Target for the Merona shirts lately, as AA has taken a quality nosedive in the last few months; I have a couple of shirts that fell apart at the seams during the first wash. I do wish Target carried more interesting colors, but at the same time, I am kind of reverting back to a blue/white/black wardrobe color scheme, with the occasional absurdly vibrant color.

Enron

Banned
bjscott05 said:

Any thoughts guys?

JFK wore tortoiseshell American Optics sunglasses. So yeah, it's ok.

cbk-thp.jpg

Yeah tortoiseshell sunglasses are awesome. I might get a pair of persol's (the steve mcqueen model?) in the near future. Black shades are kind of weak, IMO.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The deterrent with those Target/Merona shirts for me was that they don't seem to exist in XS sizes, plus the cut of the V isn't nearly deep enough for my tastes now. I've been quite happy with the basic $5 H&M tees and they've held up nicely for over a year without visible wear 'n tear. The Topman tees I used to like so much have really gone to shit, quality-wise, though.

threenote

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
The deterrent with those Target/Merona shirts for me was that they don't seem to exist in XS sizes, plus the cut of the V isn't nearly deep enough for my tastes now. I've been quite happy with the basic $5 H&M tees and they've held up nicely for over a year without visible wear 'n tear. The Topman tees I used to like so much have really gone to shit, quality-wise, though.
I ran into the same problem, just throw them in the washer using hot water. They'll shrink.

CFMOORE!

threenote said:

40714H_2_WEB_large.jpg

dear jesus i need those Alden's. where'd you find them?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
threenote said:
I ran into the same problem, just throw them in the washer using hot water. They'll shrink.

Not enough, though. I tried that with a small Merona and it was still quite billowy. To be expected with "lowest common denominator" clothing, I guess.

The only time I go for a pretty loose cut is on tank tops.

Enron

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
Yeah tortoiseshell sunglasses are awesome. I might get a pair of persol's (the steve mcqueen model?) in the near future. Black shades are kind of weak, IMO.

Black shades work with more stuff than tortoise, though. The only reason people say things like "weak" is because EVERYBODY is freakin' wearing them these days. But I don't care about what other people are wearing. It looks good even IF everyone is doing so who gives a shit!

Threenote: STOP. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. The first step is admitting you need help!

threenote

Banned
CFMOORE! said:
dear jesus i need those Alden's. where'd you find them?
I bought them from someone on StyleForum. They aren't made anymore, sorry.

Cosmic Bus said:
Not enough, though. I tried that with a small Merona and it was still quite billowy. To be expected with "lowest common denominator" clothing, I guess.

The only time I go for a pretty loose cut is on tank tops.
With me, their shirts are a bit long.

I'd rather have copper, or even gold, than black shades; seems much more versatile and compliments my skintone. Black is a bit on the abrupt side of the spectrum, at least to me. I don't really think about color coordination when it comes to sunglasses and the rest of my outfit.

edit: lol threenote how many of those do you have now? Have you considered the plaza last? Might make a nice change up from the gunboats :p

Got my pay from summer job. What I bought so far :

tumblr_lk9o6voyke1qfzztuo1_400.jpg

APC grey blue blazer (160€)

165115_mrp_in_l.jpg

APC wool cardigan (180€)

image1xxl.jpg

Clarks desert boots, 75£ on ASOS.

threenote

Banned
Enron said:
What last were those made on?
It's quite unique for Alden, actually.

It's a barrie last, with a starburst rubber heel.

40714H_3_WEB_large.jpg

it's a nice touch.

Enron said:
Threenote: STOP. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. The first step is admitting you need help!
Lol, I'm buying so much shit because I'm moving to Paris next week.

threenote

Banned
Also,

what do you guys think of these:

ALD_45193H_3-S.jpg

They are Aldens. A guy on SF wants to sell them for $350. I'm tempted, but I don't think I need another pair.

threenote said:
Also,

ALD_45193H_3-S.jpg

They are Aldens. A guy on SF wants to sell them for $350. I'm tempted, but I don't think I need another pair.
I think they're awesome and I have zero practical interest in Aldens... I think you have enough, but I do understand the gotta have em all mentality :p Trickers makes some awesome suede boots also, if you are looking for that kind of thing.

Enron

Banned
threenote said:
Also,

ALD_45193H_3-S.jpg

Hah. I think those are the Aviators that Alden makes for Orvis. I very nearly bought those in December. Those are nice, but they occupy the same space as your Officer Indys.

threenote

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
I think they're awesome and I have zero practical interest in Aldens... I think you have enough, but I do understand the gotta have em all mentality :p Trickers makes some awesome suede boots also, if you are looking for that kind of thing.
They actually aren't suede. It's oiled chamois leather. It's built for the rain which is why I'm interested.

Enron said:
Hah. I think those are the Aviators that Alden makes for Orvis. I very nearly bought those in December. Those are nice, but they occupy the same space as your Officer Indys.
different boot, actually.

http://winnperry.com/updates/restock-alden-reverse-chamois-boots/

Enron

Banned
threenote said:
They actually aren't suede. It's oiled chamois leather. It's built for the rain which is why I'm interested.

If you want some aldens for the rain, you should pick up a pair of the 404 kudu Indys. I briefly had a pair before turning 'em loose and those things are no joke. Built like tanks they are with a vibram lug sole.

threenote

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
True, I'm just thinking you have a good number of leather (and cordovan iirc?) boots, and suede goes really well with aged denim and the like.
yeah, you're right. I have a sickness. You guys are a good support group, though.

Enron said:
If you want some aldens for the rain, you should pick up a pair of the 404 kudu Indys. I briefly had a pair before turning 'em loose and those things are no joke. Built like tanks they are with a vibram lug sole.
I absolutely hate those soles. haha.

Enron

Banned
threenote said:
I absolutely hate those soles. haha.

Yeah, but they will kick the rain and snow that you might encounter in France right in its ass then stomp on its face. We don't get much severe weather like that here in Atlanta, but I might get those again just for the hell of it.

Fuck you, snow!

I hope HStockton here in town stocks these again for fall (and then slices them down to 235 again when winter ends lol)

DSC_0029-500x332.jpg

threenote

Banned
Enron said:
Yeah, but they will kick the rain and snow that you might encounter in France right in its ass then stomp on its face. We don't get much severe weather like that here in Atlanta, but I might get those again just for the hell of it.
You are 100% correct. I still hate that sole though, lol.

Angry Fork

Kind of have a problem. I want to start dressing nicer and presenting myself better but I just have no clue where to start. I'm honestly not sure what I like because I've never cared about clothes much. I wouldn't know whether what I'm wearing is good or not.

I don't like things that are overly colorful, I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb I just want to look really clean cut and suave (not James Bond suave but presentable). I also hate non-matching stuff. I'd never wear something red + something yellow + something blue all together, things have to be coordinated. This will be mainly for everyday wear but I want it to be better than what I have now (which is just any jeans shorts + random t shirt) and winter time i end up wearing baggy jeans and dark hoodies. Any advice?

Angry Fork said:
Kind of have a problem. I want to start dressing nicer and presenting myself better but I just have no clue where to start. I'm honestly not sure what I like because I've never cared about clothes much. I wouldn't know whether what I'm wearing is good or not.

I don't like things that are overly colorful, I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb I just want to look really clean cut and suave (not James Bond suave but presentable). I also hate non-matching stuff. I'd never wear something red + something yellow + something blue all together, things have to be coordinated. This will be mainly for everyday wear but I want it to be better than what I have now (which is just any jeans shorts + random t shirt) and winter time i end up wearing baggy jeans and dark hoodies. Any advice?

What colors do you like? just wear those. Unless you have a particular skin tone (really dark or very fair) specific recommendations aren't necessary.

I would get your casual wardrobe in line, then work on your work/formal stuff. The latter is more reductive in terms of what you can 'get away with', so at least for me, my formal style is founded on the stuff I wear casually; they reference and are consistent with one another.

Since you don't want to stick out or wear weird shit, get a pair of well fitting, simple jeans (Urban Outfitters makes some decent shit like Unbranded or BDG) and a good casual zip-up (google a harrington jacket for an example), and a good pair of casual boots or sneakers, whatever feels natural to you. Avoid ornate or overly embellished items, focus on fit, color, material, and how these relate to one another.... Once you start getting an idea of what suits you well you can branch out from there and start getting button-up shirts/blazers/etc.

Angry Fork said:

Honestly, there isn't a quick way to dress well on a consistent basis. You'll have to spend time learning about which clothes are which, which season they should be worn in, how they should fit, and what looks best on you. So, I'll give you a little reading list and if you stick with it, I can always offer more.

I would recommend reading Esquire's Handbook of Style first, the most basic primer. Maybe go on to Flusser's Dressing the Man, which is a lot more about tailored menswear (i.e. suits and shit) but some concepts of fit and proportion can be applied. Other than these two books, check out Styleforum's WAYWT topics (check around the whole forum too!) and learn what you can about how clothes should fit, the most important part of dressing well. If you want more primers, just read this.

This will take time and a certain interest to stick through with it, but one day, you'll wake up and realize that, damn, you are one suave motherfucker

LordCanti

Angry Fork said:

If you have a shopping mall nearby, I would suggest going and trying different clothes on. You don't have to buy them there (shouldn't really, because the in-store prices are higher than they are online) but you should figure out what looks good on you, and which sizes fit from which brands (there is very little uniformity I've found). If your cellphone has a camera, I find that it is handy to take pictures of yourself in different outfits, from different angles, in those multi-angle mirrors they have inside mall dressing rooms (in the department stores mostly, like Macy's).

Boken

Banned
What do you guys think of chelsea boots? I was really looking for casual black shoes but at 240$ these seem a steal! Chelsea boots (especially tall ones like this) dont seem as versatile though - grunge or smart casual.

Hugo Boss:
image1xxl.jpg

Something else I've been eyeing, Ked's suede black chukkas:

272-919-thickbox.jpg

Watcha guys think?

charsace

Angry Fork said:

You should look into complementary colors. It can help a lot with creating outfits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom