• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pax217

It might take me two minutes total to do everything aside from waiting. I've also spent a good deal of time putting conditioner on my boots and throwing some lanolin on my leather jacket. Oh nooooooooooo

Watch this

are you dead?

hello?

I do about a third of that to polish my shoes... seems like a lot of wiping there... try to do it weekly, but it's usually bi-weekly.

I do a quick buff wipe every few days (when wearing dress shoes anyway). I've found you only need to do a deep hardcore polish every month or so.

Thanks to working out, pretty much none of my clothing fits heh. will have a bunch of small shirts for sale shortly (gitman, ck collection, marc jacobs, etc). letting them go for cheap due to general apathy about it. :(

Alucrid

Banned
I do a quick buff wipe every few days (when wearing dress shoes anyway). I've found you only need to do a deep hardcore polish every month or so.

Thanks to working out, pretty much none of my clothing fits heh. will have a bunch of small shirts for sale shortly (gitman, ck collection, marc jacobs, etc). letting them go for cheap due to general apathy about it. :(

woohoo well, not gitman, too blousy, maybe some of the mj ones

get your toj yet?

eh, it's the gitmanXoc leopard, fits a lot slimmer than the standard. but if you want slim the CK shirts are TINY. my god. I hadn't worn them in a year... size 39 = 37 hah.

my TOJ should be here tomorrow. I would take an unboxing picture but my wife will think I'm a dork. but I'll sneak one in :p

Alucrid

Banned
eh, it's the gitmanXoc leopard, fits a lot slimmer than the standard. but if you want slim the CK shirts are TINY. my god. I hadn't worn them in a year... size 39 = 37 hah.

my TOJ should be here tomorrow. I would take an unboxing picture but my wife will think I'm a dork. but I'll sneak one in :p

she should change her mind once she sees the glory that is your jacket

but yes, pics are a must since i ordered a brown goat 4zip moto. want to see dat texture

Alucrid

Banned
You did eh? I've been thinking of the 4zip mdr in olive calf but i dunno. either that or the QDR in whisky lamb. DECISIONS!

hmm having a hard time thinking of what a whisky qdr would look like. but dan said that a 2010 dr in olive calf was the nicest jacket he's seen made, so I imagine that a 4 zip mdr would be equally as nice.

zethren

Banned
Definitely subscribing to this thread. Money is tight at the moment, but I've been making changes/additions to what kinds of clothing I wear over the past few months.

Think the next thing I'm buying is a Nixon Time Teller P for myself once I (hopefully) get my new job in the coming week. Been wanting one for a few years now, preferably this one:
nixon-time-teller-p-watch-matte-drab.jpg

Just always loved the look of it.

hmm having a hard time thinking of what a whisky qdr would look like. but dan said that a 2010 dr in olive calf was the nicest jacket he's seen made, so I imagine that a 4 zip mdr would be equally as nice.
Wow they deliver EMS early
Texture is incredible. Rate this jacket right up there with stuff I've seen from MJ Collection, Dior Homme etc at 1/3 the price. Don't sleep.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, question on gel or hair products.

My hair is a pain in the ass. When I get it looking the way I want it (which isn't too hard) it's great, but as soon as any kind of breeze hits it I look ridiculous. My hair will blow all over and end up sticking up and just not looking good.

For this reason I wear a lot of baseball caps. When I know I'll be anywhere outside I will wear a hat as opposed to having to deal with bad looking, sticking up, hair for a long period of time. This needs to change. I still want to wear some hats, but I need to be able to survive outdoors without one.

I tried the Axe paste stuff recently and it works ok, but clumps my bangs together and give my hair a shiny look which I don't like. Is there any kind of product that I can put on after I get my hair looking the way I want it in the morning to keep it from moving?

When I get my hair the way I want it I basically just don't want it to move from that spot, but I don't like a greasy look or anything either.

Sorry for the book here, I just have never been able to get anything to work and am tired of wearing hats all the time. :p

Alucrid

Banned
So, question on gel or hair products.

My hair is a pain in the ass. When I get it looking the way I want it (which isn't too hard) it's great, but as soon as any kind of breeze hits it I look ridiculous. My hair will blow all over and end up sticking up and just not looking good.

For this reason I wear a lot of baseball caps. When I know I'll be anywhere outside I will wear a hat as opposed to having to deal with bad looking, sticking up, hair for a long period of time. This needs to change. I still want to wear some hats, but I need to be able to survive outdoors without one.

I tried the Axe paste stuff recently and it works ok, but clumps my bangs together and give my hair a shiny look which I don't like. Is there any kind of product that I can put on after I get my hair looking the way I want it in the morning to keep it from moving?

When I get my hair the way I want it I basically just don't want it to move from that spot, but I don't like a greasy look or anything either.

Sorry for the book here, I just have never been able to get anything to work and am tired of wearing hats all the time. :p

hair spray should make it stay. lots and lots of hair spray

Mmmmmmm looks good

sadly I have to tell you something

you've been inflicted with toj fever

good luck to your wallet

true true... hmm... edging toward the dr 2010 over the mdr variations. more of a classic steez (since i'm old now ;_;) and probably olive calf or something brown.

Deadly : Try a wax. My hair is pretty poofy without stuff, and while I like the american crew grooming cream/pomade/etc, it still lets my hair blow around a lot, which is no good during spring gusts. American Crew Wax doesn't seem to have this issue IME. It's spreads well and isn't very shiny, and it smells nice enough.

Tomodachi

But...
A. I'm a dude
B. I hate hairspray
There's a lot of hairspray, even for men now, and they don't smell like an old lady. I use hairspray and think it's so much better than gel.
I also used wax years ago but I didn't like how my hair went all oily and lucid (not all waxes give a lucid effect though).

kaskade

Try American Crew fiber. It's a matte paste. Make sure you use only a bit and rub it into your palms then work your hair how you want it. If you just put it on your fingertips you can make it too thick in your bang area making it too stiff.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Try American Crew fiber. It's a matte paste. Make sure you use only a bit and rub it into your palms then work your hair how you want it. If you just put it on your fingertips you can make it too thick in your bang area making it too stiff.

Might have to try this.

The way I get my hair "the way I want" now (and have been) is almost comical. I shower, dry my hair, fix it so it's laying down, and put on a hat for about 15 minutes. Not enough for hat hair, but enough to make it dry laying down. If I don't do that it poofs out everywhere.

Might have to try this.

The way I get my hair "the way I want" now (and have been) is almost comical. I shower, dry my hair, fix it so it's laying down, and put on a hat for about 15 minutes. Not enough for hat hair, but enough to make it dry laying down. If I don't do that it poofs out everywhere.
sounds like my hair. american crew Fiber or wax will fix this.

Doytch

Cool, thanks guys. Do you do away with the hat then? With the stuff in it your hair just dries laying down? Or do I put some in, throw the hat on, as usual?
Nah you don't need the hat. Just dry your hair well with a towel and throw the stuff in your hair. If you put it in while it's still wet-ish, you'll get a harder/shinier look if that's what you want to go for.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Nah you don't need the hat. Just dry your hair well with a towel and throw the stuff in your hair. If you put it in while it's still wet-ish, you'll get a harder/shinier look if that's what you want to go for.

Alright. I typically don't want the shiny look, but if I wait until my hair drys it is sticking up everywhere.

I'll play around with it and see what happens.

This is what my hair looks like now (old pic, I've lost weight since, but you get the hair idea). This is after the "hat trick." Wind just sticks it up everywhere. :p

spicy cho

I use kiehl's styling/grooming cream. Only thing that has ever worked with my hair. I like to sweep it up and to the side, and the cream holds it there without being cemented like gel or spray tends to do, there's movement but my hair will stay where I want it for the entire day. I just rub a bit into my hands and style my hair when it's still damp after hopping out of the shower, then I'm good to go.

What's the best way to smooth out a tie that has some wrinkles or creases? I have a wedding to go to on Saturday, and the tie I wanted to wear has some creases in it.

Both have pros and cons. Collared can be dressed up more as it gels with Oxfords more cleanly. Ribbed is more casual so it's a jeans and tee kind of thing. Sweaters too I suppose. Either way you can't go wrong, the cwu is perfect at what it does. It's also very well finished on the inside.

Alucrid

Banned
Both have pros and cons. Collared can be dressed up more as it gels with Oxfords more cleanly. Ribbed is more casual so it's a jeans and tee kind of thing. Sweaters too I suppose. Either way you can't go wrong, the cwu is perfect at what it does. It's also very well finished on the inside.

i dont ever want to buy a jacket that doesnt have a sateen lining ever again

Alucrid

Banned
Got my Land's End Canvas moc toe boots yesterday.

Wore them with this

(Excuse the ipad, I just got it over the weekend, the best camera on hand)

Love this Banana Republic jacket.

I know this is the clothing industry and all, but damn Lands end, shameless rip off the Indy boot. :lol

Got my Land's End Canvas moc toe boots yesterday.

Wore them with this

(Excuse the ipad, I just got it over the weekend, the best camera on hand)

Love this Banana Republic jacket.

I got a pair of these as well. While the style is fantastic, the build quality is mindbogglingly awful. I can't believe they tried to sell these things for $150. The "leather" feels like thin waxed plastic and I'm already seeing some issues with it coming apart from the welt

What do you guys think looks better at a wedding?

Navy Suit, Burgundy Tie, Black Belt/Shoes or Navy Suit, Chocolate Brown Tie, Brown Belt/Shoes?

I'd like to wear my blue suit, I'm just deciding what tie and belt combination ultimately would look best.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I got a pair of these as well. While the style is fantastic, the build quality is mindbogglingly awful. I can't believe they tried to sell these things for $150. The "leather" feels like thin waxed plastic and I'm already seeing some issues with it coming apart from the welt

Yea, not incredibly made stuff, but for the like $33 or so I paid, they'll do real well.

Dudes who paid full price probably killed themselves by now.

Cool, thanks guys. Do you do away with the hat then? With the stuff in it your hair just dries laying down? Or do I put some in, throw the hat on, as usual?

Don't put a hat on if you're using any kind of gel or hair spray. It'll end up looking matted down and shitty.

I use a relatively cheap men's hairspray. Works like a charm. Actually, if you're at ISU you may have seen me around Ames. My hair is pretty uh.. recognizable on days when I forget/am too lazy to put anything in it.

spicy cho

What do you guys think looks better at a wedding?

Navy Suit, Burgundy Tie, Black Belt/Shoes or Navy Suit, Chocolate Brown Tie, Brown Belt/Shoes?

I'd like to wear my blue suit, I'm just deciding what tie and belt combination ultimately would look best.
With a white shirt I'd go option 2.

kunonabi

I was doing some reading and I was told that it is improper to clip your phone to your belt. What is the proper way to carry your phone?

CFMOORE!

I was doing some reading and I was told that it is improper to clip your phone to your belt. What is the proper way to carry your phone?

in your hand, at ALL times.

i don't know. a pocket really. if i wear a suit, inside coat pocket of a pocket of my vest because i like how it fits very snug in those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom