• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Many Trump voters who got hurricane relief in TX think that Puerto Ricans shouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName999

Based on the qouted section I don't think it's racism that leads that man to draw such Stange conclusion but lack of empathy. The man just doesn't care which means the less money spent on things he doesn't care about the better it would be for him

If it was just lack of empathy, they would be bitching about Florida getting aid as well.

It's racism.

It's remarkable how this human garbage is perfectly represented by the human garbage in the white house.

The only irony here is that Trump doesn't give a flying fuck about his voters either, they just don't realize this.

GrapeApes

Hogg and his wife, Patsy Hogg, have had flood insurance for decades after watching water come dangerously close to flooding the first floor of their two-story home soon after they moved to the neighborhood in the late 1970s. They now pay about $450 per year.

Going to go out on a limb and say this is flood insurance provided by the government. But yeah fuck anyone trying to get government help.

MickeyPhree

They say don't judge all of them due to the words of a few but man these...people are making it very hard for me to not judge all of Texas.

Am I evil for thinking this?

I could name six people of the top of my head in Texas who don't think like that. So yes.

Kimawolf

Just to add.... 99.999% of the population has power. I don't know of anyone, even in more remote areas right in the middle of the mountains, who has no electricity under normal circumstances.
What? You mean to say those sav... i mean islanders ARE civilised and do use electricity? Preposterous!!! Have you seen how beautiful the island is? And the climate? Why they dont even NEED power.

im joking. Since its tough to tell these days.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I wish I could treat my tax dollars like my dollars in humble bundle. See how I want my taxes to be spread out. I would give everything to PR.

Fuck those pieces of shit.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
But David Hogg, a retired electrical engineer who once worked at NASA, also said that Puerto Ricans’ “lack of responsibility is not an emergency on my part.” The same goes for Texans without flood insurance, he said.

His wife frowned, stared at him and asked: “So you have no mercy?”

“Uh-uh. No mercy,” he said. “They should do what I do: Spend the money, get insurance.”

A true patriot

eaglecrying.gif

Brinbe

Impossible to reach out to these morons. It hurts my head to think about the hypocrisy.

And unfortunately, there are waaaay more of them than we previously thought. They're what's holding back progress in America. And you'll never become that proper first world nation that you aspire to be until you learn to either deal with these types or think of a way to stop people from harboring or developing this illogically poisonous mentality.

Shadybiz

They’re sitting back, they’re taking the money, they’re taking a little under the table. He’s trying to wake them up: Do your job. Be responsible.

A casual throw-in with zero evidence to back it up, I'm sure.

Also, people still referring to PR as a country...Jesus Christ.

Also....I'm surprised the Maddoxes aren't divorced yet. Lord knows that if either me or my wife were Trump supporters, we'd likely be divorced by now.

They say don't judge all of them due to the words of a few but man these...people are making it very hard for me to not judge all of Texas.

We’re not all garbage. I promise. But I’m also trying to get th fuck out of here so there is that.

erawsd

I don't know why the wife frowned. She married the piece of shit. I always wonder why some women marry these assholes; it only enables bad behavior. Security above all else it seems.

Both are longtime Republicans, although lately they consider themselves first and foremost “Trumpsters.” Patsy Hogg described meeting the president and his wife, who gave her a hug, as a blessing from God.

No she married the right man. She may not be as shitty as her husband, but shes definitely dipped in brown.

OmniGamer

Just to add.... 99.999% of the population has power. I don't know of anyone, even in more remote areas right in the middle of the mountains, who has no electricity under normal circumstances.

Exactly this...people had POWER, WATER, CELLULAR PHONE&DATA services, and not to mention a damn roof over their heads. To act like this severe reduction in people's daily quality of life is somehow business as usual, is ridiculous, callous, and woefully ignorant.

And no the weather is not "pleasant" under these conditions...it's hot as hell, and the humidity is miserable. In the "winter" the nights can often be pleasant, but it's still hot this time of year. I was in Arecibo last september during the apagón(blackout), and the air at night just would not move at all...it was super miserable. Thank god we had window screens otherwise the mosquitos would have added another layer of misery. And I was lucky, we got power back in less than a day. People there have now been dealing with this for a month...or longer for those impacted by hurricane Irma first.

Fuck these hypocritical bootstrappers.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Every time I see an article whining about how millennials don't eat enough Applebee's I can't help but think of the countless articles with retired boomers who basically have boiled their philosophy on life and politics down to "fuck 'em, let 'em die. But not me. I need this Medicare and social security."

Worst generation ever. There's so many well-off boomers who are genuinely shitty people devoid of empathy for any human outside of themselves and their household.

If it was just lack of empathy, they would be bitching about Florida getting aid as well.

It's racism.

Uh, didn't Texas Republicans have a lot to say about Sandy aid?

I think it's an unhealthy mix of lack of empathy, instinctively reacting to whatever Cult Daddy is angry about and, of course, racism. These people hate the poor and the left plenty.

there is nothing that gives me quite as much joy as knowing that conservative baby boomers time on this earth is drawing to a close and that we will soon be released from their narcissistic clutch for good.

It doesn't matter.

Have you seen the alt-right? Age means jack shit, you'll be free from baby boomers and will have to deal with new shit.

spelen

It's racism.

Was Florida brought up in the main article ? Maybe he'd have the same objections. Keep in mind he did make the insurance comment. Which is why it leads me to be believe racsim doesn't play as big a role some ppl imply (for this specific case)

Fergie

Banned
“It’s time,” he said, “we had someone in there to fight for us.”

Not even being subtle about it. Centuries of white presidents but those 8 years under Obama was a hellscape.

Despicable.

harmonize

It doesn't matter.

Have you seen the alt-right?
they are not even a fraction of a fraction of the size that the boomers are. they did not swing the election to trump and they're not going to swing elections in the future. they're a ideological group that considers themselves to exist outside of the republican establishment because they either instinctively or consciously know that the party will soon have to pivot to non-white voters to make up for the generation that they are soon to lose.

CDX

“I object. I object. They should stay where they are and fix their own country up,” Hogg responded softly, shaking his head, wrongly referring to the U.S. territory as a separate nation.

I feel, this is sadly the reason why Puerto Rico wasn't a bigger scandal for Trump.

At best, most don't even know or realize know Puerto Rican's are US Citizens. At worst, they do know and still don't care, or just don't want it to be so.

Someone needs to look those 70 year old fuckers in the eye and tell them their beliefs are straight up stupid. Something tells me they've never been challenged face to face.

Pull it off late night style. "Please sign this petition to help US citizens" and only after tell them thanks from Puerto Rico and watch their faces.

Afrodium

Banned
Why is it so easy for these people to assume Puerto Ricans aren't taking responsibility for themselves, and are even pocketing some of the aid money? 🤔

RowdyReverb

I’m not defending their stance, but it’s probably difficult to feel selfless and globally-minded if your own home or your friends/family’s homes just got flooded. You could probably find people in Puerto Rico who feel that they deserve more aid than affected Texans. People say fucked up things when their situation is fucked up. Again, it’s not the right thing to do, but these responses shouldn’t be surprising.
"Fuck you, got mine" mentality.

That's what the Trump voter has. All of them.
Pretty much this

Yes. There are lots of people from Texas on this very forum. It’s a huge state!

kess

Folks need to stop assuming all these folks are uneducated and poor. These are intelligent people who have decided to cast their lot in with a party that believes you get what you deserve and that extending your concern beyond yourself is to be “cucked.” These people have coldly decided to discard empathy as a guiding principle. They are crystallized cynicism.

Rich engineers don't have to worry about a white autocracy or civic knowledge. It coexists quite fine without government.

Ithil

He likes having a businessman in office, especially one who’s not afraid to speak the painful truth

Shame the one he's got in office is a pathological liar and continuously failed businessman.

I live in Texas, and fuck these people, but it's 100% correct that this is the majority of how people here think and behave

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm not defending their stance, but it's probably difficult to feel selfless and globally-minded if your own home or your friends/family's homes just got flooded. You could probably find people in Puerto Rico who feel that they deserve more aid than affected Texans. People say fucked up things when their situation is fucked up. Again, it's not the right thing to do, but these responses shouldn't be surprising.
You're not really helping them (or yourself) here by disingenuously framing a question they weren't asked to justify their callousness.

The question posed wasn't whether PR should get more aid than them or get aid instead of them. It was whether they should get similar aid. No one with a smidge of empathy, especially those who should be best able to relate, should be saying 'no' to that.

Majine

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but the notion that a warm climate means less problems during a natural disaster seems wrong. Yes, you're less likely to freeze to death but high temperatures means easier for diseases to spread, no?

geomon

JCPjWlL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom