• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Many Trump voters who got hurricane relief in TX think that Puerto Ricans shouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepboy

the 2 Tier treatment of territories has reared its ugly face on what Sate Americans think how Territory Americans should be treated.

It's high time to recognize them for Statehood and treat them like human beings instead of belongings

Eh they don't really seem to want it and who can blame them.

They have 5 times the population of Vermont and paid less in Federal taxes over the past 5 years (including all custom taxes, Social Security taxes, etc). Not that surprising that some benefits of federal government (like disaster insurance) would not be covered.

chaos789

Banned
Politics aside. These people are just selfish assholes. If humanity wants to survive in the future this selfish " got mines, fuck you" attitude has to die. If it does not, we deserve wants coming to us.

marzlapin

I'm really curious what these guys think of the California wine country fire victims. It was a lot of old wealthy white people affected and I wonder if that's enough to trigger empathy or if they can literally only empathize with people they know personally.

Eh, not necessarily. I can't count the number of times a Republican's resume got blown up in spectacular fashion. Guys claiming to be SEALs when they burned out of basic training. Electrical engineers actually being technicians but demanded having "engineer" in their official title. Claiming to have worked for so-and-so and when someone actually does the digging, they'd never heard of him.

Have you been to Texas? It's the ultimate poser state, at least in the deep red districts. If you want acceptance it's all about where you live, what you drive and how much you make. There's immense social pressure to wildly exaggerate your resume, even if you're retired if you want an invite to your neighbor's next barbecue. These people (who are judgmental as fuck so they're most certainly not exceptions to what I'm saying here) live in ranch homes near Houston. You think a former NASA engineer couldn't have done better than that? Especially if it's some jackass who judges others on how financially successful they are. These people live in the absolute biggest house in the most expensive neighborhood they can barely afford and often beyond what they can afford. Which, in this case, for an engineer that a high tech firm in any era would practically offer sexual favors to hire, is a ranch home outside Houston.

They're not poor, no. But they're not smart, and their claims can't be trusted. Not when they're living their own image of what stupid people think smart people are like.

Edit: FWIW, most actual engineers I've met in just about any state are Republican. But I'll take any bluster out of Texas with a grain of salt. "Worked AT NASA", as opposed to for NASA, is an interesting choice of words.

Can confirm. My own father lives around Dallas, moved from a $1 million house to a $2 million house despite running low on money, and lies about having a Master's degree (plus it's from a different institution than where he actually started a Master's degree). He works in the finance world, but the same principles apply.

They're smart enough to make lots of money, but that's about it.

Pepboy

I'm really curious what these guys think of the California wine country fire victims. It was a lot of old wealthy white people affected and I wonder if that's enough to trigger empathy or if they can literally only empathize with people they know personally.

Californians pay roughly 5 times as much (per person) in federal taxes than Puerto Ricans... So I guess yes they would feel Californians are more entitled to disaster relief funded by federal taxes.

Edit: correction 10 times as much. ~400 billion on a base of ~40 million Californians vs ~4 billion on a base of ~4 million Puerto Ricans.

Disgusting. It's like they don't even know Puerto Rico is an american territory.

Even having to go through a similar situation is not enough to trigger sympathy towards brown people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom