• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mar-a-Lago requesting permission to hire 78 foreign workers

mr2xxx

Banned

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am curious, why? Why not hire Americans first? Do the foreign workers just have far better credentials than the locals that need jobs?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
But.....but......MAGA! America FIRST remember?

At some point I will stop finding the hypocrisy of Trump and the GOP funny, but I hope its not anytime soon.

bucyou

Must be a good week for trump when lefties are clutching pearls at something that happens every year lol

mr2xxx

Banned
I am curious, why? Why not hire Americans first? Do the foreign workers just have far better credentials than the locals that need jobs?

It’s low skill labor, not anything requiring any type of credentials. It’s something they can easily find locally but Instead they want to outsource for cheaper immigrant labor.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Must be a good week for trump when lefties are clutching pearls at something that happens every year lol

Its hilarious to me when people will attack any and all members of "The Left" for any perceived injustice or hypocrisy whether real or imagined, but yet when Trump or a member of the GOP displays VERY REAL hypocrisy then its just hand waved away like its no big deal.

The mental gymnastics required are medal worthy.

I approve. What is more American than having minorities do something for little to no compensation. It must be cheaper than local workers and since we know Trump approves of legal immigrants (so long as they are from right countries) I dont see a problem in trying to be competetive. It is not like they are getting handouts right?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
But.....but......MAGA! America FIRST remember?

At some point I will stop finding the hypocrisy of Trump and the GOP funny, but I hope its not anytime soon.

They're having difficulties finding people in this country willing to take a temp job for the extra traffic for the holidays. This is exactly what H-2B is supposed to fulfill. I'm pretty sure they would be more than happy to hire America FIRST but no one is taking them up on it.

I don't get it. This is exactly what H-2B is designed to do. LEGALLY.

Last edited:

MamaRice

Banned
Then I don’t see how this is inconsistent with Trump’s policies. Seems like yet another case of people jumping the gun to nail Trump without considering the facts.
Many of his supporters would be unequivocally against this, I would imagine. Or rather, I would assume they would be, considered how much they support his supposed dedication to "America First" and how often he talked about other countries stealing our jobs. Hypothetically, what would you say to a trump supporter that expressed a strong disapproval of this, and saw it as going back on one of his promises?

I know a lot of people here like to say "things he said during his campaign and on twitter don't count", but come on. I don't think a lot of his supporters would agree with that.

Last edited:

mr2xxx

Banned
They're having difficulties finding people in this country willing to take a temp job for the extra traffic for the holidays. This is exactly what H-2B is supposed to fulfill. I'm pretty sure they would be more than happy to hire America FIRST but no one is taking them up on it.

I don't get it. This is exactly what H-2B is designed to do. LEGALLY.

This is a place that charges 200k to join, I'm sure they can raise the low wages they offer these types of employees and get some American ones and still make ends meet. Also it's not like this place is in some remote location, southern Florida has millions upon millions of people to pick from.

highrider

Banned
I’m a working chef and I can say that the food service industry would essentially cease to exist without Latin American workers. It’s actually not just a question of cheap labor, being a line cook is a tough job under tough conditions, few American workers can do it or want to. But yeah, hypocritical, but I’m sure they were the only people that applied for the job.

MamaRice

Banned
I’m a working chef and I can say that the food service industry would essentially cease to exist without Latin American workers. It’s actually not just a question of cheap labor, being a line cook is a tough job under tough conditions, few American workers can do it or want to. But yeah, hypocritical, but I’m sure they were the only people that applied for the job.
Everyone knows Americans won’t do these jobs. Jobless Americans will sit on the couch and literally say I’m not doing that job and then shit on Mexicans for stealing their jobs.

rokkerkory

This is a place that charges 200k to join, I'm sure they can raise the low wages they offer these types of employees and get some American ones and still make ends meet. Also it's not like this place is in some remote location, southern Florida has millions upon millions of people to pick from.

Trump is too cheap to do that.

A little more info into the hiring process:

Trump_foreign_workers_chart_property_2x.jpg

Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, which advocates for immigration restrictions, said he was “displeased” when Trump temporarily expanded the H-2B program in 2017. He said Mar-a-Lago is just using the program how other employers use it: as a way to avoid paying higher wages or offering more benefits to attract American workers.
“It’s a bullshit law written to ensure that employers don’t have to hire Americans,” said Krikorian, who normally applauds the president’s immigration agenda.

The bulletproof requirements to make sure American workers get first dibs:

Based on the paperwork submitted, the hiring manager fulfilled the minimum effort required by law to try to find American workers first: place an ad in the local newspaper for two days, notify past employees of the openings via US mail, and post the job notice in a visible place at the club for current employees to see. Employers are required to pay the average local wage for the advertised position. Mar-a-Lago offered $10.33 per hour for housekeepers, $13.43 for cooks, and $11.88 for servers (no tips).

Documents show that hiring managers at the Trump establishments made the minimum efforts required by law to recruit US workers.
While many businesses may truly struggle to find local workers and rely on foreign workers to fill slots, the hiring practices at Trump’s properties certainly are out of step with his “America First” rhetoric and policies.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/9/17548776/trump-h-2b-guest-workers

Trump prefers Chinese steel and cheap workers, bottom line is business is business, and catering to audiences for political reasons is what it is.

Arkage

Banned
There is a big difference between illegal aliens versus workers entering the country LEGALLY.

Trump also wants to restrict legal immigration by no longer letting gang violence/domestic violence be used as criteria for asylum seekers despite long standing policy and being a large percentage of what asylum seekers are fleeing from. Oh and also the Muslim ban, which also denies legal visas to students/workers/tourists seeking to enter the USA due to "concerns" about their country of origin, all of which are all unambiguously bullshit and/or hypocritical. (Fun fact: Saudi Arabia isn't included in the ban despite that being the origin of most of the 9/11 hijackers!)

So yes, there is a difference between illegal immigrants and legal workers entering the country. But Trump is fighting off both, because they're brown and his white voters don't like that color. But he'll hire them himself just the same if it saves some cash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom