• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says to hire American, but Mar-a-Lago tells applicants to "apply by fax"

Piecake

President Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club needs to hire 35 waiters for this winter's social season in Palm Beach, Fla.

Late last month, the club placed an ad on page C8 of the Palm Beach Post, crammed full of tiny print laying out the job experience requirements in classified ad shorthand. ”3 mos recent & verifiable exp in fine dining/country club," the ad said. ”No tips."

The ad gave no email address or phone number. ”Apply by fax," it said. The ad also provided a mailing address. It ran twice, then never again.

About a week before the ads ran, the president's club asked the Labor Department for permission to hire 70 temporary workers from overseas, government records show. Beside the 35 waiters, it asked for 20 cooks and 15 housekeepers, slightly more than it hired last year.

To get visas for those workers, Mar-a-Lago, like other businesses that rely on temporary employees each year, must first take legally mandated steps to look for U.S. workers. That includes placing two ads in a newspaper.

Typically, this attempt to recruit U.S. workers is a ritualized failure. Its outcome is usually a conclusion that there are no qualified Americans to hire, justifying the need for the government to issue the visas.

The club's request for visas stood out because it came in the middle of ”Made in America Week" at the White House, as Trump and his administration sought to highlight his push to remake U.S. trade policy. Even as Trump urged other U.S. businesses to ”hire American," his business was gathering evidence to prove that it couldn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-1112am:homepage/story&utm_term=.dcf28dd81ea9

Many of his businesses have migrant workers both legal and not on the payroll.

Guess his values only apply when he's not the one doing them. Hm.

tumblr_nmhbtuuhqi1sonf30o1_400.gif

Noticed a similar thing in the UK. Fruit companies claiming they can not source pickers from the UK. But then you go to their website and there are no jobs advertised. All goes through agencies that recruit overseas.

Maybe he doesn't want other businesses to hire foreign workers... Because he wants all of them for himself!

The smartest plan.

Fuck his shit business and it's patrons

they could easily make these full time jobs with benefits for locals but they try and find ways around that.

rjinaz

When will you people be sick of this?

When minorities learn their place, the nation is a Christian Theocracy, the poor just die and there is no welfare or affordable healthcare, and the gay can no longer feel comfortable coming out.

I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

DonShula

Wonder if theres more information on their geocities site.

You have to go to their IRC channel, get ops by behaving (pre-interview) and then you get access to the file share where you can download the application form. It's split across 46 ZIP files and needs to be combined into an ISO.

sangreal

This is bizarre and also sounds like awful working conditions

It's not bizarre, it's intentional. Devious would be a better word. As the article explains, they don't want people to actually apply. It's just a ploy to pretend they tried to hire domestically as the law requires

Wait, how does hiring American and applying by fax contradict?

I mean, if you're faxing from a US number, you probably live in the US.
Sure, you can fake a fax number, but you can fake an address as well.

I'm not getting how asking for applications by fax implies not hiring American.

The fax application implies that they're not really trying that hard to fill the role.

No one uses fax (and even those that still do obviously don't only rely on fax for communication purposes). That aside, the key word here is "only." If a fax is the only contact method offered, with not so much as a corresponding phone number of e-mail to go along with it, they clearly ain't that interested in attracting as wide a pool of applicants as possible. Why would you only provide a fax, and not so much as a corresponding phone number if you're really interested in hearing from as many US applicants as possible, unless that really isn't your intention? Especially with the only ever running the ads in newspapers twice thing on top of that, perfectly satisfying the minimums and no more/no less.

The fax application implies that they're not really trying that hard to fill the role.

No one uses fax (and even those that still do obviously don't only rely on fax for communication purposes). That aside, the key word here is "only." If a fax is the only contact method offered, with not so much as a corresponding phone number of e-mail to go along with it, they clearly ain't that interested in attracting as wide a pool of applicants as possible. Why would you only provide a fax, and not so much as a corresponding phone number if you're really interested in hearing from as many US applicants as possible, unless that really isn't your intention? Especially with the only ever running the ads in newspapers twice thing on top of that, perfectly satisfying the minimums and no more/no less.

Sure, it'll get less applicants, but I don't see how that has anything to do with their nationality. If 1 person applies, and that person is American, then they "Hired American."
If nothing else, I don't see how it would shift the balance from being more American applications as a ratio of total applicants to a lower ratio.

BasicMath

Hopefully this brings attention to the issue if companies pulling shady crap to get visa workers instead of training capable Americans.

Who am I kidding? The media and the Dems will make this about Trump instead. They obviously don't want to piss off their corporate overlords. Screw both sides.

It's not bizarre, it's intentional. Devious would be a better word. As the article explains, they don't want people to actually apply. It's just a ploy to pretend they tried to hire domestically as the law requires

That's not true! He was wearing a cowboy hat that was made in America! He's gonna get rid of all these silly work "regulations" that have kept 'Muricans from working!

Sure, it'll get less applicants, but I don't see how that has anything to do with their nationality. If 1 person applies, and that person is American, then they "Hired American."
If nothing else, I don't see how it would shift the balance from being more American applications as a ratio of total applicants to a lower ratio.

Because they can only apply for foreign worker visas once they've unsuccessfully tried to hire US workers, as so:

"To get visas for those workers, Mar-a-Lago, like other businesses that rely on temporary employees each year, must first take legally mandated steps to look for U.S. workers. That includes placing two ads in a newspaper.

Typically, this attempt to recruit U.S. workers is a ritualized failure. Its outcome is usually a conclusion that there are no qualified Americans to hire, justifying the need for the government to issue the visas."

The suggestion is that a low effort attempt at hiring US workers meets the bare minimum for them to move to the next step.

Steel

Banned

Read the article. They gave no phone number to fax to.

Leynos

They say to apply via fax, but give no fax number, or any other method to, you know, actually apply. They can then say that they offered the jobs to Americans, that they couldn't find anyone appropriate, and were forced to bring in temporary foreign employees.

Edit: Woops, the article says that no phone number, or email address is given, but the image does show a fax number, and mailing address. But where is the application to fill out?

Zoe

They say to apply via fax, but give no fax number, or any other method to, you know, actually apply. They can then say that they offered the jobs to Americans, that they couldn't find anyone appropriate, and were forced to bring in temporary foreign employees.

It wasn't the only method. It said to apply by fax or to CareerSource PBC <mailing address>.

Top Bottom