• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says to hire American, but Mar-a-Lago tells applicants to "apply by fax"

Because they can only apply for foreign worker visas once they've unsuccessfully tried to hire US workers, as so:

"To get visas for those workers, Mar-a-Lago, like other businesses that rely on temporary employees each year, must first take legally mandated steps to look for U.S. workers. That includes placing two ads in a newspaper.

Typically, this attempt to recruit U.S. workers is a ritualized failure. Its outcome is usually a conclusion that there are no qualified Americans to hire, justifying the need for the government to issue the visas."

The suggestion is that a low effort attempt at hiring US workers meets the bare minimum for them to move to the next step.

They say to apply via fax, but give no fax number, or any other method to, you know, actually apply. They can then say that they offered the jobs to Americans, that they couldn't find anyone appropriate, and were forced to bring in temporary foreign employees.

Ah, I see, that makes sense I guess.

Still, I mean, people have faxes - most multifunction printers serve as a fax as well.
And even of those who don't, there's always Kinkos / UPS Store / Staples / etc.

Still, I mean, people have faxes - most multifunction printers serve as a fax as well.

Do you think the kind of workers that need to apply for low-level service jobs like this have a multifunction fax printer? Or live near a Kinkos/UPS/Staples? Or can afford the cost of transportation, time off from current job, and money to get to one of those stores to fax an application? And what application are they sending exactly, since the ad clearly didn't provide one?

I'm sure the thought process is "if an evangelical church in North Carolina can keep slaves in 2017, why can't we?"

That's pretty much what the VISA system is used for in the US - to bring in migrant labor. They pay them a bit and they are free to leave, but they're really not since they're in a different country far from home. They're abusing the value of the dollar relative to other currencies to increase profits. You dont have to pay or treat foreign seasonal workers well to get them to stay.

Piecake

Sure, it'll get less applicants, but I don't see how that has anything to do with their nationality. If 1 person applies, and that person is American, then they "Hired American."
If nothing else, I don't see how it would shift the balance from being more American applications as a ratio of total applicants to a lower ratio.

They don't hire American even if one magically applies

In the past, Trump’s club has followed the same pattern of searching for — and not hiring — American workers. Two years ago, for instance, Jeannie Coleman, who lives in nearby West Palm Beach, applied for a job as a housekeeper.

Mar-a-Lago called back. She had an interview. Then: nothing.

“I was very disappointed. At that time, I really needed a job,” said Coleman, now 50, who works at a clothing store. “I had the qualifications. The interview went great. But they never even did the common courtesy to call me and tell me why I wasn’t hired.”

Mivey

If you need workers, so desperately that you are "forced" to look for foreign workers, would you really just publish a short note in a local newspaper, twice, with no actual number posted there, btw, and then stop doing anything?
They could post something on Facebook and reach more possible applicants. You are giving them way more benefit of a doubt then they arguably deserve.

hobozero

Shittiest example I can remember was a coal mining company in British Columbia. They had to prove they could not find skilled labor in Canada before being allowed to hire temporary workers from China (at below minimum wages) to mine coal.

So they made "Must Speak Fluent Mandarin" a job requirement. For coal mining.

Somehow they weren't able to fill the positions with local applicants, and just HAD to get temp foreign workers...

Top Bottom