• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2014: Year of the Saturn - Shoot-em-ups

So.. This thread convinced me to get a Saturn, since I've always loved shmups, ever since the first time I played Gradius as a child. Still, I'm far from being a connoisseur of the genre, and I'm decided to fix that, but I'm not sure if it's the ideal time financial-wise for me considering a lot of the gems in the OP are super expensive.
So the question is... Are there a couple of affordable games (like 4-5) I could get to start off my new shmup experience, or am I better off waiting for a better time to board the Saturn train?

The absolute best value proposition to play a few of the games in the OP is get Taito Legends 2 on PS2 or Xbox. It contains Metal Back, Darius Gaiden, Galactic Attack/Layer Section and Gekirindan, among others. Truth be told prices are getting out of control for the Saturn versions. Even the defacto cheap shooter recommendations like Darius Gaiden and Galactic Attack are rising.

^ You're not wrong: did an ebay search for Darius 2, £50 for the Pal version, thankfully the japanese version is still around the £25 mark.

In light of this thread hopefully these shots from Sexy Paradious will be welcome (this game looks insane on my plasma through the xrgb).

^can anyone tell me which game this ship is from? I'm presuming this ship and the "option" are saturn exclusive playable characters?

^option ship as the spacecraft from Thundercross :)

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Ace and the Shooting Star is from Twinbee Yahho! He fights you throughout the game, even though he's not one of the "bad" guys persay. Sexy Parodius is the only game where you play as his ship

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'll be spending the last week of March with a new addition to my Saturn library :)

TfQj1Y8.jpg

IrishNinja

^did you pull it off, man?

man...i said it over in the SHMUPs thread a while back, but i play these games too casually. my biggest problem is not sticking to one, even when i dig it - i told myself id put more time in Souky, but i still ended up swapping out later for Batsugun, Garegga, Darius and the like, ruining any chance i had at pattern memorization. i was really hoping last month would've been the one where i dedicate myself to just one, but i couldn't: whenever i've some free time & my saturn's on it's like i wanna play everything.

Teknoman

^did you pull it off, man?

man...i said it over in the SHMUPs thread a while back, but i play these games too casually. my biggest problem is not sticking to one, even when i dig it - i told myself id put more time in Souky, but i still ended up swapping out later for Batsugun, Garegga, Darius and the like, ruining any chance i had at pattern memorization. i was really hoping last month would've been the one where i dedicate myself to just one, but i couldn't: whenever i've some free time & my saturn's on it's like i wanna play everything.

Nope...and yeah i've got the same problem lol. Especially with shoot em ups. Somehow I ended up floating over to Gradius 3.

Im still gonna keep trying though, and alongside whatever game is April. Keep getting further and further each time, and on one credit too. Now I really understand the importance of extend scores too lol.

Wonko_C

I think I'll learn how to make webm files and put them on this thread to make it even more glorious.

Top Bottom