• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario 3D World new pics

I'm guessing these are updated Bullies from 64? Also a better look at the rain.
f44PTgS.jpg

Im trying to figure out, whats up with marios second shadow?

Damn these mofos are going to make me buy a Wii U again. Now I have a PC (GTX 780), soon to have a PS4, and now possibly a Wii U added to the mix. Straight splurging.

Yo, this looks hella purty. I'm tired of the recent 2D Mario offerings but I'm looking forward to this.

I guess I should also probably play 3D Land sometime.

Indeed, I was trying to say that it does look good, but nothing here impresses me to the point of thinking they could be bullshots. Objects and characters don't really look like something out of the league of this current generation.
I was mainly agreeing with you as well, just wanted to quash that low poly thing until someone bit and took it completely out of context.

Since you were basically saying there's nothing implicitly angular that should not be (enough polygons being used per asset) just without the asset diversity of a given PS3/360 showcase.

I'm not sure if I helped much with my explanation lol.

stef t97

Jesus Christ, I could cut my eyes on those jaggies. Other than that it looks awesome, PC/WiiU combo is looking like the way forward for me.

Either a bug or something floating above them? Dunno

That screenshot gives me huge SM64 vibes though

Yeah, Im thinking its a bug that wont be in the game, when it goes gold.

Theres also something strange looking on luigis shoe, in this shot...(edit: That could be a shadow of an coin floating in the air)

95985_Items_3_.jpg

Besides that, this game looks beautiful.

Couple things missing from the pictures. Great music, and 60fps :]

Jesus Christ, I could cut my eyes on those jaggies. Other than that it looks awesome, PC/WiiU combo is looking like the way forward for me.

The jaggies aren't nearly as bad as some other games on the Wii U like Lego City or TW101. By comparison, this looks so much nicer. Although I'd say this game looks beautiful by any standards.

Maybe multiple light sources?
4200918927-soccer-pre-season-friendly-kidderminster-harriers-v-walsall-aggborough.jpg

Kinda like in a soccer game with floodlights?

Well i was considering that, but the enemies dont have two. The second shadow also looks fairly jaggy, like its a bug.

Also, the thought why the main characters dont have dynamic shadows is so you can use them to see where you'll fall.

This, in a way, contadicts that.

Then again, you still have that fixed shadow so you can still see where you're falling...

So you're possibly right, that its intentional.

Im just speculating with no real world experience on the subject...

ThaGuy

Gladly eating crow, just wish I could play the multi with someone ; ;

Well thats what happens when you trick your friends into thinking your sexy and then eating them alive while spitting out their bones when their back is turned lol.

Hakai

Yeah, Im thinking its a bug that wont be in the game, when it goes gold.

Theres also something strange looking on luigis shoe, in this shot...(edit: That could be a shadow of an coin floating in the air)

95985_Items_3_.jpg

Besides that, this game looks beautiful.

Couple things missing from the pictures. Great music, and 60fps :]

It actually is grass flying around.

Im trying to figure out, whats up with marios second shadow?
One is the cast shadow from the way the scene is lit (same light source that's casting shadows off the enemies). The one directly beneath Mario is a drop shadow. This is a convention that I believe actually started with Mario 64 and has been applied to most 3D platformers ever since. It is solely to provide a spacial reference when you're platforming, and is always directly beneath the character regardless of how the scene is lit.

Het_Nkik

My component output on my Wii is starting to generate lots of artifacts so I'm thinking about picking up a Wii U. Those screenshots are definitely helping to sell me on the system; they look brilliant. I might even push back my PS4 purchase to next year and grab a Wii U instead.

Is there any word on whether we'll be able to run with the analog stick? I was't a huge fan of having to hold a button down on the 3DS iteration.

Artifacts, eh? Probably not your component output. Sounds like your Wii's GPU is fried. Happened to my first Wii. Thing gets too hot with WiiConnect24 on. It starts off like this:
Mfxc5WN.jpg

And eventually turns to this:
ZZSGXtH.jpg

Kangi

Say what you want about Nintendo's rocky, delayed start in the HD space, but they have definitely nailed lighting down after this, Pikmin, and Nintendoland.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One is the cast shadow from the way the scene is lit (same light source that's casting shadows off the enemies). The one directly beneath Mario is a drop shadow. This is a convention that I believe actually started with Mario 64 and has been applied to most 3D platformers ever since. It is solely to provide a spacial reference when you're platforming, and is always directly beneath the character regardless of how the scene is lit.

The weird thing is that Mario does get a shadow projection based on the level lighting there. In most situations this seems to not be the case, with him (and the other characters) only getting drop shadows. Here's an example where the flag pole's shadow is projected in a certain way because of the level's lighting, but Mario's shadow is missing because he only gets a drop shadow:

ihNfI4mPlWvx9.png

In the screen you're talking about he gets both, which looks a bit weird. Not seeing his shadow where it should be looks a little weird too though, so I guess there's really no good way to combine "real" shadows with drop shadows.

The weird thing is that Mario does get a shadow projection based on the level lighting there. In most situations this seems to not be the case, with him (and the other characters) only getting drop shadows. Here's an example where the flag pole's shadow is projected in a certain way because of the level's lighting, but Mario's shadow is missing because he only gets a drop shadow:

http://i.minus.com/ihNfI4mPlWvx9.png

In the screen you're talking about he gets both, which looks a bit weird. Not seeing his shadow where it should be looks a little weird too though, so I guess there's really no good way to combine "real" shadows with drop shadows.
Interesting observations. My new hypothesis given the rain is that it's a storm scene, and that lightning is casting shadows off the characters in that shot. As far as the flag pole, it may be that cast shadows from the characters, which are dynamic, only appear within a specific range while stationary objects in the environment have baked lighting.

I totally remember writing this off as a simple expansion of 3D Land when it was first revealed. It's really grown into its own. Wonderful.

D-e-f-

Banned

Dat insane hyperbole.

One shot appears to show plastic Mario. Also, is that a beach level with actual natural hills? 3D World saved?

That's wet Mario. When it rains it pours. And stuff.

96013_Items_4_.jpg

What's up with the beheaded Goombas?

Rated M for Mature. Look out, Gears of War!

leroidys

Everybody on GAF hated this game when it was announced, now everyone loves it.

OMG MARIO CYCLE CONFIRMED LOL

FFS the game isn't even out yet. I didn't think it looked amazing a the reveal, but argued with the idiots calling at a 3DS game. The latest media makes it look like GOTF though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Interesting observations. My new hypothesis given the rain is that it's a storm scene, and that lightning is casting shadows off the characters in that shot. As far as the flag pole, it may be that cast shadows from the characters, which are dynamic, only appear within a specific range while stationary objects in the environment have baked lighting.

Yeah, I was thinking the very same thing about it being lightning that's causing the extra shadow there. They should probably fade the normal shadow out when that happens though, as seeing both at the same time doesn't look great (although I guess it won't be very noticeable in-game).

Not sure what you mean by the character shadows only appearing within a certain range though. Mario is casting a shadow there, but only a drop shadow, so it's right below him. And the flag pole's shadow is definitely not baked, as you can see it move. Here's a GIF showing the sequence:

inDPo7mvuFZl7.gif

EDIT: Hmm, I can't actually see his shadow anywhere as he's climbing the pole, only when he gets to the top (he casts his shadow on the top ball thing).

DjRoomba

Banned
Say what you want about Nintendo's rocky, delayed start in the HD space, but they have definitely nailed lighting down after this, Pikmin, and Nintendoland.

This is not the same lighting seen in Nintendoland (Or Mario Kart 8), this is cheaper looking lighting...

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
What's this strange sensation I'm feeling.....? OH MY GOD! I'M ACTUALLY TRULY EXCITED FOR A VIDEO GAME! The last time this happened was with Metroid Prime.

DSN2K

Nintendo have nailed the visuals, I remember crap on here a few years back saying Nintendo games didn't require better specs, think these shots justify it.

Top Bottom