• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario 3D World new pics

RagnarokX

Not next-gen quality by any means, but it at least shows a real improvement over the Wii, which last year's game failed to do.

Uh... sure...

RT1wUyF.jpg

5XKlzuK.jpg

Plus NSMBU's levels were much more complex and full of dynamic objects like enemies than NSMBWii's.

Tuck

Really excited about the asian and circus themed areas - glad they're not sticking strickly to their standard world pallet in this game

fred

When I first saw it a while back I was pretty disappointed but now it's looking fantastic. It's now joined the following games that look 'next-gen' (please note that in my book that means that said games aren't a match for anything on the PS4 or One just that these games are beyond what the PS3 and 360 are capable of):

Need For Speed Most Wanted
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Super Mario 3D World
Bayonetta 2
X
Mario Kart 8
SSBU

Shame that third parties haven't put more effort in though tbh.

CLEEK

This games looks incredible, and I say that as someone who found Mario 3D Land decent, but not great. Surely this can kick start the WiiU into life?

fart town usa

Gold Member
This looks awesome. Nintendo should have started development earlier and released this holiday season last year, would have sold consoles probably. Can't wait to play it.

Javier

^^^^ wow!

We all suspected as much from that one thread where we spotted the galaxy hub world in the background.

Actually, you can see the Comet Observatory in one of the artworks.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Rosalina making a little cameo in the game.

Edit: Damn you Manny!!
Yeah, I know that (pretty sure I posted in that thread myself), but I don't think we had 100% confirmation of the character herself.

RagnarokX

When will Nintendo create new characters?...

Incomplete list of new IPs since 2001:
2001: Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Golden Sun, Luigi’s Mansion
2002: Eternal Darkness, Legend of Starfy (Japan)
2003: Mario & Luigi RPG series, WarioWare, Baiten Kaitos
2004: Mario vs DK
2005: Geist, Battalion Wars, Trace Memory
2006: Wii Sports, Drill Dozer, Electroplankton, Chibi Robo, Elite Beat Agents, Excite Truck (debatable revival of old IP that is different than 80′s installments)
2007: Wii Play, Diasaster: Day of Crisis (not released in NA), Hotel Dusk
2008: Wii Fit, Wii Music, Art Style series which consists of dozens of games that are all new IPs in their own right, Fossil Fighter, Endless Ocean
2009: Rhythm Heaven
2010: Art Academy, Glory of Heracles (in NA), Line Attack Heroes (in JP), Wii Party, Flingsmash, Fluidity
2011: Steel Diver, Xenoblade, Pushmo
2012: Sakura Samurai, Dillon’s Rolling Western, The Last Story, Nintendo Land, Spirit Camera (debatable spin off of other IP)
2013: Pandora’s Tower, Kersploosh!, The Wonderful 101

Lots of new characters in there.

Jopie

I cannot wait for this. I don't get a lot of games day 1, but this will be one of them.

Also, I may be the only person in the world who sees these and starts thinking about how good the next Mario party could be.

Davey Cakes

The one dominant thought in my mind when I see these screens is "that looks fun."

Nothing really grabs my gaming interest and makes me feel like a kid again quite in the same way that a new 3D Mario game does. 3D World gives off a sense of pure gaming bliss.

This looks awesome. Nintendo should have started development earlier and released this holiday season last year, would have sold consoles probably. Can't wait to play it.

totally concur. THIS SHOUKD HAVE BEEN THE LAUNCH TITLE. Ninty was too quick to jump into next slash current gen. Now they actually have some gaems!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Except for the part where you can control the camera in single player and many games have released screens from angles not possible in regular play.

You can swivel the camera around a bit, but from what I've understood you don't have enough control over it to replicate some of more dramatic angles seen here. The way they introduced the camera controls made it sound like it's more of a rather restrictive way to "look around" stuff a bit and such, and not a totally free camera like in Sunshine. But they are welcome to prove me wrong! I guess it could also vary between levels. Most levels we've seen seem very much designed to be viewed from one particular angle, while others we've seen snippets of lately look more open and free-form.

Yeah, I know that (pretty sure I posted in that thread myself), but I don't think we had 100% confirmation of the character herself.

We still don't. That screen is just for the stickers you collect I believe, and I don't think a character being represented by a sticker necessarily means that character is actually in the game. Or maybe it does!

Anyway, yeeeeah, this game is the first to really make me want a Wii U. Are there gonna be bundles with it?

olimpia84

This game looks PHENOMENAL. If it looks this good on pictures I can't even imagine what it looks like in person. Day fucking one.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on how the Wii U Gamepad will be used in this game, apart from finding hidden objects?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is that aliasing I see or jpeg artifacts?

Definitely aliasing (although there's probably some artifacting going on as well). Did you expect the game to have great AA? Hasn't seemed like a priority for Nintendo on the Wii U thus far, there are jaggies all over the place in their games. And this game is probably pushing the console harder than most games released so far, looking this nice while running at 60 fps.

Davey Cakes

It's not about new IPs, but new experiences!
Nintendo has a wide variety of IPs and they make new characters all the time. The problem is, creating flagship franchises with new characters is really difficult so Nintendo continues to rely on their tried and true properties for the bigger and higher-budget productions.

Fortunately for Nintendo, they are not creatively bankrupt when it comes to crafting and designing video game experiences so they can keep pumping out Mario games like this while also satisfying their audience. Sometimes it really is less about a game being a "new IP" or having original characters and it's more about pushing boundaries with what has already been established.

Nethaniah

Is this game gonna have the same weird saving method as NSMB-U? Wish they'd just let the game auto-save after every level or something and not have to worry about having to do it yourself.

RagnarokX

Is this game gonna have the same weird saving method as NSMB-U? Wish they'd just let the game auto-save after every level or something and not have to worry about having to do it yourself.

NSMBU only saves after towers, ghost houses, and castles until you beat the game. You can do quick saves anywhere until then and then save anywhere after beating the game.

3D Land autosaves after beating a level.

I prefer manual saves because sometimes I just wanna play through some levels for fun and then revert to my previous save to regain my powerups.

Nethaniah

NSMBU only saves after towers, ghost houses, and castles until you beat the game. You can do quick saves anywhere until then and then save anywhere after beating the game.

3D Land autosaves after beating a level.

I prefer manual saves because sometimes I just wanna play through some levels casually and then revert to my previous save to regain my powerups.

Hopefully this follows 3D Land then, hate not being able to just quit the game without having to worry about losing progress.

Manual saves are great but not the way Nintendo does it imo.

My hype for this game has gone nuclear, in fact if this isn't a top 5 game all-time, I'll be disappointed. Crazy, but I can feel it. Bought a Wii U this weekend in anticipation.

Definitely aliasing (although there's probably some artifacting going on as well). Did you expect the game to have great AA? Hasn't seemed like a priority for Nintendo on the Wii U thus far, there are jaggies all over the place in their games. And this game is probably pushing the console harder than most games released so far, looking this nice while running at 60 fps.

I was just a little taken aback by how noticeable it is in some of these shots. The game does look rather nice in motion though, so it's no big deal.

Just to be clear, you're stating that these shots can not be replicated in-game, correct?

no. Im just saying by default the game wont look like that. You have to modify the cam yourself and I have no idea how cumbersome that will be and if the game will even play right with the camera pulled in that close since the levels are designed so that you have a wide view from further away.

zroid

Banned
Hopefully this follows 3D Land then, hate not being able to just quit the game without having to worry about losing progress.

Manual saves are great but not the way Nintendo does it imo.

Not that I have anything against "real" autosaves, but I don't really get the beef people have with quick saves. Unless you get a game over, isn't it basically the same thing? And with lives handed out like candy on Halloween as they are in NSMB... does anyone ever game over?

Roo

My hype for this game has gone nuclear, in fact if this isn't a top 5 game all-time, I'll be disappointed. Crazy, but I can feel it. Bought a Wii U this weekend in anticipation.

The Wii U has great and quality games now so make sure to take a look at the Wii U Games Thread while you wait for 3D World.

CLEEK

Nintendo has a wide variety of IPs and they make new characters all the time. The problem is, creating flagship franchises with new characters is really difficult so Nintendo continues to rely on their tried and true properties for the bigger and higher-budget productions.

Fortunately for Nintendo, they are not creatively bankrupt when it comes to crafting and designing video game experiences so they can keep pumping out Mario games like this while also satisfying their audience. Sometimes it really is less about a game being a "new IP" or having original characters and it's more about pushing boundaries with what has already been established.

I was just referencing to the comments made by Miyamoto.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/miyamoto_focuses_on_new_gameplay_experiences_before_new_ips

Nethaniah

Not that I have anything against "real" autosaves, but I don't really get the beef people have with quick saves. Unless you get a game over, isn't it basically the same thing? And with lives handed out like candy on Halloween as they are in NSMB... does anyone ever game over?

I love quicksaves, my beef with how it's done in NSMB is the fact that you have to save yourself or beat a tower otherwise it just doesn't save or show an option to save so at times i will quit the game and lose progress because the game does not have an autosave feature (to my knowledge.)

And yes i know this is partly my own stupidity for forgetting to save.

ant1532

Banned
no. Im just saying by default the game wont look like that. You have to modify the cam yourself and I have no idea how cumbersome that will be and if the game will even play right with the camera pulled in that close since the levels are designed so that you have a wide view from further away.

nah, not accurate

zroid

Banned
I love quicksaves, my beef with how it's done in NSMB is the fact that you have to save yourself or beat a tower otherwise it just doesn't save or show an option to save so at times i will quit the game and lose progress because the game does not have an autosave feature (to my knowledge.)

And yes i know this is partly my own stupidity for forgetting to save.

Ahh ok, I gotcha. Yeah I can see how that could be a problem, especially for people who are used to games auto-saving.

Doesn't the "quick save" in NSMBU mean that you can't quick save in any other games? Like the Wii U only holds one "quick save" at a time?

If that is the case it is a bad, bad system. I think it should auto save after every level. Sometimes I don't feel like/have the time to play 3-4 levels to get to a save point.

Top Bottom