• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Oympics |OT| Skating on the thin ice of Next Gen

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
10848315-1378988602-889451.jpg

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Developer: Sega Sports Japan
Publisher: Nintendo
Release date: EU - November 8th, US - November 15th, AUS - November 9th, JP - December 5th
Platform: Wii U
No. of Players: up to 4 players locally and online multiplayer.
Trailer
US TV Comercial

Olympic Events
scr_01_big.jpg
scr_02_big.jpg
scr_03_big.jpg
scr_04_big.jpg
scr_05_big.jpg
scr_06_big.jpg
scr_07_big.jpg
scr_08_big.jpg
scr_09_big.jpg
scr_10_big.jpg
scr_11_big.jpg
scr_12_big.jpg

scr_13_big.jpg
scr_14_big.jpg
scr_15_big.jpg
scr_16_big.jpg

Alpine Skiing Downhill, Ski Jumping Large Hill, Freestyle Skiing Moguls, Freestyle Ski Cross, Biathlon, Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom, Snowboard Slopestyle, Snowboard Cross, Speed Skating 500m, Short Track 1000m, Figure Skating Singles, Figure Skating Pairs, Skeleton, 4-Man Bobsleigh, NHL 2014 Ice Hockey, Curling

Dream events

Winter Sports Champion Race - use four types of equipment – skis, skates, snowboard and bobsleigh – in a demanding test of all-around ability
scr_01.jpg

Groove Pipe Snowboard - Negotiate twists, curves and ramps in an exhilarating race to the finish.
scr_02.jpg

Figure Skating Spectacular - A dynamic musical performance on ice with a big difference: there's an extra rink in the air, too
scr_03.jpg

Roller Coaster Bobsleigh - Race along at unbelievable speeds and take in the sights and sounds in a unique bobsleigh race
scr_04.jpg

Snow Day Street Hockey - Take your team to the ice and use skill, strategy, and a range of wild items to win the day
scr_05.jpg

Hole-In-One Curling - One team member rides a large stone pushed by the other player.
scr_06.jpg

Snowball Scrimmage - Two teams line up for the ultimate snowball fight. Ready, aim… throw!
scr_07.jpg

Bullet Bill Sledge Race - Hit high speeds in a two-seater bobsleigh pulled by a team of super-fast Bullet Bills
scr_08.jpg

In addition to the the single player mode, there are other 4 modes available:

Medley Mania - compete in special event medleys, or create your own. The player with the most points at the end wins

scr_02_big.jpg

Worldwide VS - Face-off against players from all over the world in selected events. Perform well and help your country in the global rankings
Yes, there is online multiplayer!
Ski Cross, Snowboard Cross and Short Track Speed Skating, and Winter Sports Champion Race make up the four online-compatible events

scr_03_big.jpg

Legends Showdown - All 20 characters come together for a spectacular single-player showdown! Clear stages, defeat boss characters, and take home the ultimate trophy!

scr_04_big.jpg

Action & Answer Tour - Get friends and family together for a unique combination of sports and quiz questions! Use your body and your brain in a wild mode where anything can happen!

scr_05_big.jpg

In US there should be also a bundle available - game + blue remote:
240208b2.jpg

More videos: Mushroom bridge snowboarding, Opening, Isle Delfino Hockey, Figure skating - dream event on Sonic Colors music, Figure Skating Dream Event - theme (and world!) of Super Mario 3D Land

Controls:
Also for the first time in the series, the Wii U GamePad and Wii Remote Plus controllers are used to control the action, offering the player greater depth of control and more intuitive gameplay. In Figure Skating Pairs, link up with a friend by holding the same Wii Remote Plus controller and perform graceful moves while two of the legendary characters on-screen perform the same routine. Only with perfect timing and by synching up effectively with your partner will you succeed. In an event like Curling, use the Wii U GamePad touch screen to plan your strategy by deciding upon the path of each stone, before releasing the stone onto the rink by flicking the Wii Remote Plus.

Thanks Roboleon for the subtitle!

kunonabi

Nice OT. Game Explain has a vid of the dream figure skating and I'm even more psyched for the game than I was before.

Roo

You did an amazing job with the OT.
Didn't notice before but man this game looks pretty :O

scr_13_big.jpg

DAT ASS!
Nice OT :p

Mory Dunz

The US commercial seeems to get the point across, and shows how people play the games. Which is good. Advertising well is so important.

Probably will never play this game, but a few of those racing games look interesting.

My nephew saw this today during his Saturday morning cartoons and gave me that look like you know you have to buy this or else. I am scared to do otherwise.

Roo

Why does this game look good?

Hopefully it won't bomb as hard as other
the rest of Wii U's library
games since it has Mario on the cover.
It's sad because it seems to be a solid and fun game but I won't hold my breath.
Anyway, this game went from meh... to nice, I want it for me :)

Any new characters?

Didn't play the other Olympic games but here's a list:
Mario characters

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Yoshi
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Donkey Kong
Wario
Waluigi

Sonic characters

Sonic
Tails
Amy
Shadow
Dr. Eggman
Knuckles
Blaze
Vector
Silver
Metal Sonic

Jagsrock

Banned
I'm surprised by how good this game looks not only in terms of graphics. It seems to have a pretty good amount of content as well.

Wow, this game is gorgeous. They don't even use CG for their little opening sequences, but the in-game visuals. XD I quite enjoyed the previous Winter Games, hope this one does well too.

Coolwhip

Banned
I don't get why it's Mario and Sonic really. The Mario universe has great characters and doesn't need the sucky Sonic ones.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This actually looks pretty fun, I'd give it a shot if I had a Wii U.

Roo

This actually looks pretty fun, I'd give it a shot if I had a Wii U.

You can fix that

Edit: I was looking at official screenshots.. why did they use bullshots?
I mean, the game is pretty as it is.
This is supposed to be in-game lol
jSOOZsV7YQdfW.png

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't get why it's Mario and Sonic really. The Mario universe has great characters and doesn't need the sucky Sonic ones.

It is developed by Sega and the idea was also theirs.

Wikipedia said:
The idea of an Olympic setting for the mascots originated after Sega was awarded the Beijing 2008 Olympic license approximately a year later. The developer adopted the IOC's mission to promote a sporting spirit and wanted to interest young people in the Olympics with its newly acquired license. The corporation decided to base the sports game around its characters that "young people love and are very iconic" instead of creating a more realistic simulation. Sega then requested Nintendo for permission to include Mario in the game, setting up the first matchup between their mascots. Nintendo approved and partnered with Sega in-house to add another layer of quality control to the development. Both companies felt that the competitive sportsmanship of the Olympic Games provided an ideal choice as a setting for the once-rival mascots.

whoa, seeing the wii remote plus bundle for $60 is pretty good since i don't have a wii remote plus.

will keep an eye on this, that Waluigi with the gun gif is still amazing B^)

Graphics are very nice and its kinda cool to see that waluigi wario and eggman human selves there like that. Not sure how this game can be fun for 1 player though

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I know everything isn't online, but what is?

As far as we know:

Ski Cross, Snowboard Cross and Short Track Speed Skating, and Winter Sports Champion Race make up the four online-compatible events

In the adrenaline-fuelled Winter Sports Champion Race, prepare to hop from a pair of skis onto a snowboard, from the inside of a bobsleigh to a pair of skates, in an environment befitting of the diverse blend of winter sports packed into this single event.

Looks pretty good. Now if only Mario and Sonic would team up for a team sports collection (non-olympic) with basketball, hockey, football, American football, baseball, etc.

NTom64

Looks pretty nice, visually.

This is kind of off-topic, but the DS version of the original Winter Olympics game has a pretty fun Adventure mode. It's a throwaway story about Bowser + Eggman stealing the Snow Spirits so they can hold their own Olympic Games (no seriously), but the best part about it is that you run around actual Adventure Fields collecting trivia, items, solving puzzles and beating people in mini-games to open the fields up further and progress through the game.

If you can find it cheap I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
There's always a system seller :p
No but seriously, the games are coming, I'm sure there would be more games of your interest down the line.

System seller for me is Zelda :p

Hopefully the console will be cheaper by then too.

Top Bottom