• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Oympics |OT| Skating on the thin ice of Next Gen

We need more shots of Wario's ass, stat!

Girlfriend saw some screens of it a while back, and now I'm getting a WiiU instead of my damn Ouya. lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, this is your first OT, KingSnake?? Fantastic job! :)

sarcoa

Review embargo was up four minutes ago. Just got the game today but I haven't played but a few hours. Other reviews should start rolling in soon, though.

Is the frame rate any better than it was during the reveal? It looked like a disaster then in terms of fps.

All of gamexplain's and bitblock's gameplay videos have looked smooth to me, so it looks like it (plus gamexplain didn't mention it being a problem in their review)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Gamespot - 5/10

Practically because it is on Wii U and uses the Gamepad. And because he doesn't like most of the winter sports events in general.

It's the forced addition of the GamePad that serves to complicate matters, shifting the series away from its simplistic roots. At best you've just got to explain each individual mechanic to a group all holding different configurations of controllers, but at worst you've got to contend with groups of irate children arguing over why one gets to have a GamePad and the others don't.

The Mario & Sonic series has been an inclusive experience, catering to all players of all skill levels, but Sochi 2014 complicates that simplicity. The game's long-winded tutorials have a wearying effect, and the most enjoyable events--which are the simplest, coincidentally--are essentially identical to events from previous years. There are dribs of fun to be extracted from the overall package, but from the outset, it's hard to shake the feeling that this is a series that has now thoroughly outstayed its welcome.

The Mario & Sonic series is the perfect example of the kind of charming, bite-sized, and all-inclusive entertainment that defined Nintendo throughout the Wii's golden years, but a lack of creativity and a poor implementation of the Wii U GamePad ensure that Mario & Sonic's fourth outing in six years fails to secure a podium finish.

As a note, the gamespot review for the Wii game lists as bad things: Too many events are played the same way, Speed skating relies too heavily on waggling, AI opponents are too easy to beat - so being simple and too much relying on the wiimote (all of them being positive now and ruined by the evil gamepad). It's fun to compare, as the reviewer made the comparison.

Is the frame rate any better than it was during the reveal? It looked like a disaster then in terms of fps.

The framerate seems pretty stable in the videos that I've seen until now.

sarcoa

Frame rate's fine.

edit: the viewing stands packed with chaos, flickys, shyguys and toads move at like 5fps - but the action in the actual 'game' is fine.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder if there are really no level to unlock. That would be a little strange. Or it is preparation for DLC.

maxcriden

More reviews,

Nintendo Life 6/10

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/mario_and_sonic_at_the_sochi_2014_olympic_winter_games

Twinfinite 4/5

http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/03/mario-sonic-sochi-2014-olympic-winter-games-review/

I should mention NL is usually pretty fair but tends to lean to the generous side. Their review sounds like the reasonable kind of 6/10, not the kind "just below failing" that a 6/10 is often considered. In their Scoring Policy they explain a 6/10 is "Not Bad," and one point below "Good." Seems like the consensus so far is that the game is decent at best and not amazing. I'm slightly disappointed as I was moderately interested in the game, especially for the online mode and dream events.

Revven

I wonder if there are really no level to unlock. That would be a little strange. Or it is preparation for DLC.

No kidding. That Mario Kart Double Dash level looked awesome--why aren't there more like it?!

hoping for DLC post release

Don't get your hopes up, that's how the previous Dream Events were in the last Winter Olympics game. Only 1 level for the Dream Event. I figured that's what it was going to be like but I was hoping against that-- turns out it is indeed disappointingly only 1 level for the dream events (save for the Hockey one, which I think one of the Dream Events in the previous game also had an extra level or two, too).

Highly doubt there's DLC for this game.

Don't get your hopes up, that's how the previous Dream Events were in the last Winter Olympics game. Only 1 level for the Dream Event. I figured that's what it was going to be like but I was hoping against that-- turns out it is indeed disappointingly only 1 level for the dream events (save for the Hockey one, which I think one of the Dream Events in the previous game also had an extra level or two, too).

Highly doubt there's DLC for this game.

nintendo retrospectively patched in DLC for Pikmin 3 and NSMBU

so never say never
More reviews,

Nintendo Life 6/10

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/mario_and_sonic_at_the_sochi_2014_olympic_winter_games

Twinfinite 4/5

http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/03/mario-sonic-sochi-2014-olympic-winter-games-review/

I should mention NL is usually pretty fair but tends to lean to the generous side. Their review sounds like the reasonable kind of 6/10, not the kind "just below failing" that a 6/10 is often considered. In their Scoring Policy they explain a 6/10 is "Not Bad," and one point below "Good." Seems like the consensus so far is that the game is decent at best and not amazing. I'm slightly disappointed as I was moderately interested in the game, especially for the online mode and dream events.
looks like it is in line with previous games.

kinda meh but good as party games

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
More reviews,

Nintendo Life 6/10

I like the way NL review is written. But you can see that he has no much interest in winter sports. Which makes him wanting more a party game than this arcade sports compilation. But it's fine, I liked the review even so.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The graphically the game looks good but I am a little nervous that the game play will be bad, especially how horrible the Wiimote control was in the first winter game.

I am staying away unless all the event can be play using the Gamepad.

Practically because it is on Wii U and uses the Gamepad. And because he doesn't like most of the winter sports events in general.

Wow what a unbiased review from that guy.

Roo

I like the way NL review is written. But you can see that he has no much interest in winter sports. Which makes him wanting more a party game than this arcade sports compilation. But it's fine, I liked the review even so.

They keep saying this game looks and plays way too similar to the 2010 version.
Considering I didn't play the 2010 one or any Mario&Sonic game for that matter I think I shouldn't be worried about it... right? I mean...was the 2010 version any good?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The graphically the game looks good but I am a little nervous that the game play will be bad, especially how horrible the Wiimote control was in the first winter game.

I am staying away unless all the event can be play using the Gamepad.

I haven't played the 2010 game, so what was bad with the wiimote control? Anything that the Motion+ could have fixed?

kunonabi

I haven't played the 2010 game, so what was bad with the wiimote control? Anything that the Motion+ could have fixed?

I had no issues with the wiimote controls with in the 2010 game. I think most reviewers just acclimated to them is all.

I've been meaning to try one of the Wii entries (actually I almost grabbed London 3DS), which of the four (3 Wii and London 3DS) should I go with?

Winter Wii looked the most interesting (Canada represent yay).

Rio is next right? That's going to be BEAUTIFUL!

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, can't wait.

500px-2016_Summer_Olympics_logo.svg.png

Haines

Banned
Was looking for an additional party game to add to N-Land and WiiU Party and another nice controller, but the reviews arent looking good enough. Wii Sports and Mario will suffice.

Was looking for an additional party game to add to N-Land and WiiU Party and another nice controller, but the reviews arent looking good enough. Wii Sports and Mario will suffice.

Game & Wario actually has a few fun multiplayer modes fyi. Granted, there's not a ton there, but if you find it cheap, might be worth it

Haines

Banned
Game & Wario actually has a few fun multiplayer modes fyi. Granted, there's not a ton there, but if you find it cheap, might be worth it

I might grab it if its cheap, but so far Wii U Party is absolutely bursting in amazing content, so it would prob have to be 10 bucks or something...the game just never caught my attention...

Top Bottom