• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour DLC [3 packs, 2 x 18 holes ea., New Chars, Day 1, Season Pass]

Didn't even notice Gold Mario in the original announcement and holy crap is this a galaxy themed level?

CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Course16a_mediaplayer_large.png

More like a Kingdom Hearts crossover level :p

jonno394

Unless you were in involved in the development of this game I don't know why you would be so sure that the game was already "complete" before they decided to do DLC and they didn't just take the stuff out to sell for more $ later. It's a business practice that I flat refuse to support.

Thats not the point I was making, I meant in your eyes the game as it stood was a complete package and you were obviously happy enough with the amount of content it contained.

JoeM86

You got to feel like NoA should've called it a "Three-Pack Set" instead of "Season Pass" so people didn't kneejerk at the term.

I completely agree and came to the same thought. Look at all the people trashing Nintendo here for it. Hell, I was right there with them at first.

I never said anything about working too hard, I asked if the base game physically filled the very limiting memory cart format 3DS uses. IIRC the cheaper cart is only something like 2GB so it's very possible they could have just filled the thing up with the current content.
We're talking about a Nintendo game here, I'm pretty sure they know very well their size limitations.

You're trying to see goodwill where there is none. This is a business decision, whether the content was cut off from the main game or this was developed specifically to sell off later.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Worth mentioning that this is already a $29.99 title as opposed to many first-party 3DS titles which start at $39.99. I am pretty sure there is gonna be plenty of content.

That makes it even worse that people are complaining about this. It's already discounted, Nintendo goes out of their way to tell people that there's so much content in the main game already and they're offering the DLC at a reasonable price for what you're getting.

It sucks though because Nintendo.

My big issue with DLC is that if you're into physical media having a good portion of your game contents only available online makes it tenuous if a platform holder goes out of business. From an archival and collection perspective it's detrimental. No longer do you have the full game on your cart or disc.

There are digital archivists out there rectifying this exact situation with other pulled digital content. It'll be a PITA to install/hack the content into the base game, but it is possible.

RoadDogg

Outside of the Peach one, I'm disappointed. Mario Golf needs more crazy Mario courses, not normal golf courses. I will have to hold out a for a bit after launch to see if I need more content in the game. If the characters were even remotely interesting to me I would give in now, but I can honestly say I would never play any of those unless their stats are outright better than everyone else.

Wasn't planning on buying the game but the DLC sounds extremely thorough. Reduced for a the full game + mad extras for $15. I just want MK8 and Smash Bros DLC. Nothing game ruining but interest grabbing. But I don't need it as I'm sure they'll be solid and complete by themselves.

Somnid

Because they could have included it for free!

Typically there's about at least a month or so between when a game finishes and when it releases and certainly the art team finished a long time ago. Given they just have release months it would seem they aren't actually finished with it but that the first is expected to go live by the time the game releases.

This is an issue? It's a great amount of content for a decent price and I actually know what I'm getting for my money instead of "HEY WE'LL RELEASE DLC THAT YOU WILL LIKE WE PROMISE GUYS!!"

Nintendo.is actually doing DLC fairly well so far.

Doesn't this look like a penis?

My big issue with DLC is that if you're into physical media having a good portion of your game contents only available online makes it tenuous if a platform holder goes out of business. From an archival and collection perspective it's detrimental. No longer do you have the full game on your cart or disc.

But the question is, will you still be playing this game in a couple of years?

This is an issue? It's a great amount of content for a decent price and I actually know what I'm getting for my money instead of "HEY WE'LL RELEASE DLC THAT YOU WILL LIKE WE PROMISE GUYS!!"

Nintendo.is actually doing DLC fairly well so far.

It's like reading a thread title and not the original post/context.

trixx

More like a Kingdom Hearts crossover level :p

It's the stain glass from mario 64, peach's castle.

Anyways even if this is "good dlc" like NSLU, i probably won't buy it simply due to the fact that i'd probably already be satisfied with the product I already have. I'm not a spokesperson for everyone, if you enjoy dlc good for you. I probably wouldn't buy dlc for Mario kart or Smash either. Smash 64 has way less content than smash 3ds has yet i'm still satisfied with it, i'm still playing double dash with my siblings and that only has 16 courses.

But If you enjoy dlc, good news for you, i will admit i being somewhat hostile about the news when i seen the thread.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Initial dread of the changin' times has kind of made way for the fact that Nintendo really takes care in giving customers value for their DLC packages, considering how much you get in this Season Pass. Still kind of strange times, though.

I haven't played a Mario Golf game in ages. Perhaps it's time I gave one a whirl. Not sure if I'll get the DLC, though, even though I do like Rosalina.

CoolS

Typically there's about at least a month or so between when a game finishes and when it releases and certainly the art team finished a long time ago. Given they just have release months it would seem they aren't actually finished with it but that the first is expected to go live by the time the game releases.

I'm obviously kidding, but that's the impression I've been getting from people in here that are soured by day 1 DLC

kdoll08

The amount of overreaction is this thread is hysterical. How about a little bit of perspective on this. When Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf
AKA The best golf series around
was first released on Vita there were 6 courses for a total of 108 holes and they have added a total of 3 new courses in 2 years. The full Mario Golf without the DLC has 126 holes in it. That is the very definition of a full game. The game is only $30 instead of the standard Nintendo first party price of $40 and we are getting another 3 characters and 108 holes for $15/18. That is an incredible value considering everything. The only problem I see is day 1 DLC. They should just wait 2 weeks to let people get into the game. Seems to me like Nintendo actually used the extra development time wisely on this game. This was supposed to be out last summer and now they have added full fledged online and almost another games worth of content for us, I wish more companies did this the right way.

Umm the following post is based on (hopefully logical) assumptions!

First of all I should maybe say that I played the demo of Mario Golf 3DS and I didn't like it all that much so I have no affection that might cloud my opinion but I really don't see why people are so mad about this. I don't like Day 1 On-Disc DLC, content ripped out of the main game and then sold later and all that either though I think the way Nintendo did it here is actually pretty fine, reasonable and fair, let me list a few things:

- As others have pointed out, the base-game doesn't seem to be cut on content and features about the same content as previous games in the series

- Adding new courses and characters to a golf game doesn't screw with the main game at all since it's based around playing singular courses and the DLC merely extends the options players have

- The base-price of the game seems reduced

- The content of the Season Pass is already known beforehand

On the perspective on Day 1 DLC, I really don't like this concept at all but again for a golf game it seems reasonable:

- The game most likely went gold around a few weeks ago since the cartridges etc. still had to be made

- This in turn means that the team making the game should have a bit of downtime unless they were directly and full-time assigned to new projects

- Making a few additional courses for the game over the time of a few weeks between the game going gold and the release also seems very doable

So overall it seems to me that unlike some Day 1 DLCs this one wasn't cut out of the games main-development and was actually developed after the core game was finished. Of course I'm aware that nobody can say this for sure unless they work at Nintendo but I feel they did DLC right and fair here, if and only if, it doesn't split the online playerbase.

Now does that set a precedent for Nintendo games? Yeah it does, wherever it will be a good or bad one for the future only time will tell and it's worrisome that future Mario adventures or Zelda games might be affected negatively by DLC practices. So I understand and share a certain uneasiness around the whole game but aslong as Nintendo keeps it fair and reasonable I don't have any qualms about them doing DLCs like this again as a few franchises like Mario Tennis, Mario Golf and Mario Kart lend themselves well to getting actual extensions, other series like 3D Marios and the like I'm not sure and as said only time will tell what happens from here.

Murrah

Banned
A season pass and three new characters and still no playable Shy Guy? Fuck off Nintendo

Day one on main game still, maybe the season pass too, we'll see. If anything this dlc makes the game an even better value. People are strange

Davey Cakes

More people needed to read what was actually in the "Season Pass" before flipping the fuck out :/

It's pretty much laid out there in the PR
Yeah. Thinking about this a bit, it's actually a VERY FAIR way to approach "Season Pass" DLC. No one should be boycotting this. The main game is still only $30 and content-packed.

Effect

I think people don't realize this game was suppose to be release earlier then this. Or it seemed on track to being release much earlier.The extra time seems to be put to good use and could very well be why there is say dlc right away.

I think this is a good thing, but I would of waited a bit longer to reveal this (and maybe push back the dates into mid-Summer). I'm not the biggest fan of Mario Golf, but I'll be trying the demo on Thursday to see how it is.

GimMick

DLC is fine if the content you get for them is worth the value you paid for them (which seems to be largely the case here). Discount on purchasing all DLC's is even pretty cool. It's not like the usual Season Pass where you actually don't know the nature of most of the DLC you'll be getting.

However Day 1 DLC is quite sad. Just put the content into the final game if it's ready before release. This way the game will have more value and will ultimately bring in more buyers. And this kind of practice does not bring good will amongst the consumers. I fear the Pandora's Box may have been open (but maybe if enough people complain about it...).

Also there should be at least a way to purchase the DLC characters separately. It must be a bit shitty to have to purchase new courses to play as your favorite character.

All things considered, I'll likely get all the DLC's once I'll get around to purchase this game. Loved Toadstool Tour and wished I could play more courses back then, and this game look great.

Omzz

so people who were buying this game aren't anymore because of "Season pass" lol

it's already discounted and the fact that they have laid out details of DLC from the get go makes me want it more.

Seik

Banned
They're selling the game $29,99 because of the DLC? Sounds fair to me.

I'll probably be part of the problem, if it's good DLC, I'll buy it.

The nice thing with Nintendo is that they seem to compensate with other stuff, like dropping the price in this case, since there's a lot of DLC already announced.

Vlade

I love me some Mario Golf, and I am confused and aroused by extra courses via season pass. Would be my first season pass.... but I would offer myself to it if there were actually a galaxy course.

Not sure why I went with a virgin sex theme for this comment.

daydream

Banned
A season pass and three new characters and still no playable Shy Guy? Fuck off Nintendo

Day one on main game still, maybe the season pass too, we'll see. If anything this dlc makes the game an even better value. People are strange

Yeah, what the hell? As compensation, I want 7 different playable Shy Guys in Mario Kart 9!

Sylfurd

Ok, I tried the demo, I'm really disapointed by the 3D.

I must say I always play my 3DS game with the 3D slider set to the maximum and always love it. I think it adds a lot of information to the visuals and when I deactivate, the graphics lost a lot in readibility, obviously for games like Mario 3D Land that benefits a lot from 3D to the gameplay, but even for more simple games to (animal crossing, mario & luigi dream team bros). I see very easily 3D pictures ( stereograms, 3D movies, 3D games, ... ) and can really see the details and defects in depth informations.

Golf video games are one of the kind of games that always missed the depth information and could benefit a lot from 3D graphics. It can potentially add a lot to the estimation of the distances and to the precision of terrain elevation, mainly on the green.

I was really hyped by the release of a Mario Golf 3DS. But when I launched the demo I was instantly disapointed ... The intro movie seemed "flat", the 3D was activated, the slider was se to the max, but it was as if I put it to 10 - 20% ... I thought it was only the intro movie and I started a course.

Ok, my slider was really set to the max, the hud elements pops out of the screen, but the ground, the sky and Yoshi looked all flat, there are very little depth between all these elements and you can't really see depth information of the terrain ... 3D is totaly useless in this game, it mainly just separate the hud to the scenery ...

Nintendo missed a lot with this inexplicable choice ... There's really no reason to do this. They missed a great opportunity to make a game that could demonstrate the advantages of 3D video games. As if they don't care about 3D anymore ...

I love me some Mario Golf, and I am confused and aroused by extra courses via season pass. Would be my first season pass.... but I would offer myself to it if there were actually a galaxy course.

Not sure why I went with a virgin sex theme for this comment.

Rosalina is my guess.

Top Bottom