• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour DLC [3 packs, 2 x 18 holes ea., New Chars, Day 1, Season Pass]

Impossiburu

Neo Member
So... $30 game with a shit load of content. DLC announced that nearly doubles that content for half the price.

I'm fine with this. The timing and name (season pass) are my only contentions. I'll be immediately over those when the size of my game practically doubles.

CoolS

I think this is a good thing, but I would of waited a bit longer to reveal this (and maybe push back the dates into mid-Summer). I'm not the biggest fan of Mario Golf, but I'll be trying the demo on Thursday to see how it is.

See, this I don't get. How does pushing back the content make it better. I don't like companies lying to me.

If they revealed this in June the reaction from GAF would probably have been better because everyone would assume they developed it after the game went gold. But there is absolutely no way to tell. In fact they might have done that too and the game has been gold for a time. We will never know. Day 1 makes it SEEM like it could have been included in the release but in the end it makes no difference in my opinion.

Now if the main game only had 4 courses and 60 holes this would be different.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
While it's disappointing to see Nintendo joining this realm, I trust them to deliver on this content a hell of a lot more. Not only have they specifically stated what's in the Season Pass, and it's certainly worth the cost of admission, the regular game still has a ton of content. This will be the first pass I ever buy.

DLC is fine if the content you get for them is worth the value you paid for them (which seems to be largely the case here). Discount on purchasing all DLC's is even pretty cool. It's not like the usual Season Pass where you actually don't know the nature of most of the DLC you'll be getting.

However Day 1 DLC is quite sad. Just put the content into the final game if it's ready before release. This way the game will have more value and will ultimately bring in more buyers. And this kind of practice does not bring good will amongst the consumers. I fear the Pandora's Box may have been open (but maybe if enough people complain about it...).

Also there should be at least a way to purchase the DLC characters separately. It must be a bit shitty to have to purchase new courses to play as your favorite character.

All things considered, I'll likely get all the DLC's once I'll get around to purchase this game. Loved Toadstool Tour and wished I could play more courses back then, and this game look great.

But atleast in this case it doesn't seem quite unreasonable that the DLC was developed after the main game. As I explained in my post on the last page the core-game was probably already finished a while ago since it had to go into production and I imagine with the editors and tools they have designing a few more golf courses while the game is in production does seem entirely possible. Games can't be shipped to stores the day after development has finished :(

I can't understand peoples dislike for a season pass. You're getting a deal on the DLC and its totally optional. Its about as pro consumer as it could be.

Oh man, working from the first parts of the thread full of rage to the end where it's simmered down is like night and day. Well, my take is while I don't typically buy extras with my games but if it something i really like then I don't see much of a problem with it.

I wonder how mario golf 64 wouldve faired on here seeing as you had to have a gameboy color and mario golf on gbc in order to unlock all the characters and stuff. Yall remember that?

Still getting the game, going to get the Season pass. It doesn't bother me that it's Day 1. Hell it's even on my birthday, so this will be a nice little gift for mahself.

I...I can't believe it! I'm going to have to change my avatar once we get a picture of this ridiculousness. Haha. Nabbit for Smash confirmed?!

We all know Nabbit should be an item in Mario Kart 8. Aim him at a kart, he'll grab on to the opposing player steal their items/coins and you get half of the coins or one item of whatever power the other had. Example, instead of 3 shells, he only gives you one.

I can't understand peoples dislike for a season pass. You're getting a deal on the DLC and its totally optional. Its about as pro consumer as it could be.

The problem is they're comparing it to season passes from other companies with promises of DLC every so often, where here it's just a name for a combo of all three DLC packs.

I mean hell, the UK version doesn't even call it a Season Pass.

On the one hand, Nintendo has a very good track record with DLC thus far. On the other hand, it's another step down the slippery slope we've seen practically every other publisher fall head first down.

That all said, the thing I'm most cheesed off about is the price of the base game. In what universe is $30 = £35?

lights

Ok, I tried the demo, I'm really disapointed by the 3D.

I must say I always play my 3DS game with the 3D slider set to the maximum and always love it. I think it adds a lot of information to the visuals and when I deactivate, the graphics lost a lot in readibility, obviously for games like Mario 3D Land that benefits a lot from 3D to the gameplay, but even for more simple games to (animal crossing, mario & luigi dream team bros). I see very easily 3D pictures ( stereograms, 3D movies, 3D games, ... ) and can really see the details and defects in depth informations.

Golf video games are one of the kind of games that always missed the depth information and could benefit a lot from 3D graphics. It can potentially add a lot to the estimation of the distances and to the precision of terrain elevation, mainly on the green.

I was really hyped by the release of a Mario Golf 3DS. But when I launched the demo I was instantly disapointed ... The intro movie seemed "flat", the 3D was activated, the slider was se to the max, but it was as if I put it to 10 - 20% ... I thought it was only the intro movie and I started a course.

Ok, my slider was really set to the max, the hud elements pops out of the screen, but the ground, the sky and Yoshi looked all flat, there are very little depth between all these elements and you can't really see depth information of the terrain ... 3D is totaly useless in this game, it mainly just separate the hud to the scenery ...

Nintendo missed a lot with this inexplicable choice ... There's really no reason to do this. They missed a great opportunity to make a game that could demonstrate the advantages of 3D video games. As if they don't care about 3D anymore ...

From playing the demo I personally though the 3D looked great. I definitely noticed quite a big difference than if I had the slider set to off. But maybe that's just me.

That is a metric TON of content for $15, or even at the non-discounted prices of $6 for two full 18-hole courses and a character. They shoulda waited and released the first DLC set a few weeks after release, though, so that people who don't understand how Day One DLC works wouldn't get upset.

If the inevitable Smash Bros. and Mario Kart DLC are priced half as well as this DLC I will buy it day one.

Also, isn't that Peach hole in the OP from Mario Golf 64? I could swear I recognize it.

Dunbar

This sounds great to me. I love Mario Golf and was already excited for the game, but that Season Pass is an easy Day 1 purchase. $30 for the base game gets you 10 courses and 126 holes, but you can add an additional 6 courses and 108 more holes for $15? That's like 85% of the holes in the main game for 50% of the price.

I do hope preorders get the Mario Golf GBC download like in Europe though.

SuperSah

Banned
Ok, I tried the demo, I'm really disapointed by the 3D.

I must say I always play my 3DS game with the 3D slider set to the maximum and always love it. I think it adds a lot of information to the visuals and when I deactivate, the graphics lost a lot in readibility, obviously for games like Mario 3D Land that benefits a lot from 3D to the gameplay, but even for more simple games to (animal crossing, mario & luigi dream team bros). I see very easily 3D pictures ( stereograms, 3D movies, 3D games, ... ) and can really see the details and defects in depth informations.

Golf video games are one of the kind of games that always missed the depth information and could benefit a lot from 3D graphics. It can potentially add a lot to the estimation of the distances and to the precision of terrain elevation, mainly on the green.

I was really hyped by the release of a Mario Golf 3DS. But when I launched the demo I was instantly disapointed ... The intro movie seemed "flat", the 3D was activated, the slider was se to the max, but it was as if I put it to 10 - 20% ... I thought it was only the intro movie and I started a course.

Ok, my slider was really set to the max, the hud elements pops out of the screen, but the ground, the sky and Yoshi looked all flat, there are very little depth between all these elements and you can't really see depth information of the terrain ... 3D is totaly useless in this game, it mainly just separate the hud to the scenery ...

Nintendo missed a lot with this inexplicable choice ... There's really no reason to do this. They missed a great opportunity to make a game that could demonstrate the advantages of 3D video games. As if they don't care about 3D anymore ...

I agree. It was VERY flat looking.

I hope Smash 3DS doesn't suffer from this.

it works out here because they announce what ya getting.

many games have season passes which pretty much promises nothing besides you getting a certain amount of content, the quality or what content is unknown.

here you know you'd get new courses and characters.

There is a full game coming out. It's called Mario Golf or something. It's complete. You also have the option to add even more to this complete game via DLC. An appropriate reaction to this information is not:

"I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING THAT EVEN LOOKS LIKE NINTENDO AGAIN DERP"

Kindly adjust yourselves.

But it has just as much content as a normal Mario Golf game...

Americans get the same amount of content for about half the price, though. $30 = £18, at current rates. The difference is stark, and you can't hide behind the "tax not included" excuse for this one.

Well, the RRP of the game is 40 euro here in Belgium, so... :(

Would be around 50 euro with the discount of the 3-pack.

Don't want to pay that much... :(

GimMick

But atleast in this case it doesn't seem quite unreasonable that the DLC was developed after the main game. As I explained in my post on the last page the core-game was probably already finished a while ago since it had to go into production and I imagine with the editors and tools they have designing a few more golf courses while the game is in production does seem entirely possible. Games can't be shipped to stores the day after development has finished :(
I did read your previous post (which is very good) right after I made mine, and I kinda agree with it. But the fact that the game has already been delayed by several months in the first place makes me doubt the dev team is THIS efficient in course design.

Maybe if the game had actually gone gold many weeks ago already and the release date decided as to get a bit closer to the holidays, I could understand better. Sadly we'll likely never find out the truth...

Hey, people wanted Nintendo to embrace the internet and the way other companies were doing things now...

Be careful what you wish for.

Nintendo embraces what they want to embrace. Why is there no party chat of any kind? And where are the online multiplayer side of games? Not that i care about multiplayer, i always prefer a 100% polished sp experience but the majority of wii u owners would like to see more online oriented games.

Wow at everyone who is deciding to not buy the game after this news. I'm not sure I really get the outrage. It's still the same game you would have been buying if you choose not to buy the DLC. I'm all for it. Extra content and more characters is great and I hope Mario Kart 8 gets similar treatment.

lights

On the one hand, Nintendo has a very good track record with DLC thus far. On the other hand, it's another step down the slippery slope we've seen practically every other publisher fall head first down.

That all said, the thing I'm most cheesed off about is the price of the base game. In what universe is $30 = £35?

Anyone who is buying it for £35 is a fool.

Amazon - £27.85

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BG4R0JI/

GAME - £29.99

http://www.game.co.uk/en/mario-golf-world-tour-209544

Argos - £27.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/284500.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:11363962622|tsid:41408|cid:176662382|lid:63753661548|nw:g|crid:37823614502|rnd:7095510690281170751|dvc:c|adp:1o1

BowieZ

Banned
From playing the demo I personally though the 3D looked great. I definitely noticed quite a big difference than if I had the slider set to off. But maybe that's just me.
I found there to be a sort of lo-fi quality to the visuals which I am hoping is just par for the course of the demo, otherwise I didn't really have any issues with 3D/depth etc., either.

The game is also getting "free" golfware & gear for participants of the 'Callaway Tournament', too. Maybe there'll be more DLC in the future for tournaments etc?

Wow at everyone who is deciding to not buy the game after this news. I'm not sure I really get the outrage. It's still the same game you would have been buying if you choose not to buy the DLC. I'm all for it. Extra content and more characters is great and I hope Mario Kart 8 gets similar treatment.

Is it? Is it not? We'll never know.

Could be cut content or not. Is it important. For some people it is, for others it isn't.

You can see it at two sides.

On one side, what if your 3DS breaks down in a couple of years and you can't retrieve the DLC (with the policy Nintendo has for now, you are SOL), you are missing a part of the game.

On the other side, in a couple of years, will you still play the game or will there be something better to play so you won't care about the game and dlc anymore?

The crying in this thread is ridiculous. The base game costs 30 dollars. It seems to have as much content as any previous Mario golf game. The added dlc is 15 bucks if you buy a season pass which adds nearly as many courses as the base game effectively nearly doubling the amount of courses. Heres the thing I dont understand. The last Mario golf game was released almost 10 years ago. Why wouldn't you want Nintendo to add DLC and support a game over a period of time or would you rather wait another 10 years for a new game? Nintendo does their dlc fine which is why I personally don't mind when they do it. They're not like other companies who release newer goty versions of their game with all that content included or do they make super/ultra versions of their games. Contrary to popular belief they don't rehash their games as much as people may believe and its usually at least a few years between a new game in a series. This isn't like say call of duty where you're getting a new game every year with a 50 dollar price tag in DLC. This is actually dlc done right. Yea day one DLC isn't optimum but at the same time theres more then enough content to hold players over in the base game. Also wanted to add back in the day DLC was called expansions and priced at 15 bucks for almost as many holes in the base game its closer to an expansion then dlc.

lewisgone

Wow, didn't see this coming. There were rumors of DLC which seemed plausible, but I was just expecting some level packs. The extra characters are surprising though, and a Season pass? Weird to finally see from Nintendo.

Some people have issues with season passes, but I've never really understood them because a season pass is not like a preorder bonus. A preorder bonus forces you to buy a game before release if you want some extra content, when the game might be really bad. Season passes remain available after all the DLC is out, so its just a package discount. If they weren't available from the release of the first piece of DLC, even more people would complain because they would have to wait to play DLC until all of it was out.

Will be interesting to see if we get this for Mario Kart 8. I thought the initial Mario Golf 3DS roster seemed pretty disappointing though, so I hope the MK8 one isn't disappointing as well but then boosted by paid content.

Ok, it seems like a lot of people don't understand how development of a game works.

Games are "content complete" months prior to release. This means that everything that is included in the game is there. For the months that follow, the team is in bug-squash/optimization mode. They play and play and play and play the game over and over, trying to find every possible bug, and then they work on a way to attempt to fix these as much as possible before the team reaches a moment where the game absolutely must go to the production line(going gold).

While the majority of the team is crunching to squash all the bugs, occasionally, a group of designers will write a new game design document for funding for the DLC. They must do this because DLC is NOT part of the original game or its budget. Once they receive the green light to create the dlc, they begin work on it.

Sometimes this dlc is done in time for launch. This does NOT mean that it was done in time for inclusion on the disc/cartridge, because that game was content complete months earlier. They can essentially burn the midnight oil, getting the DLC working and fixing any bugs up until release day, as there is no physical production line that the dlc needs to go down before it can release to the public.

So, for all of you complaining that this is content that was removed from the game, or those of you entitled enough to believe that you deserve to receive this day 1 dlc for free, because "it should've just been on the disc/cart anyway"; please look into the game making process before you make such statements.

Anustart

Why is day 1 dlc an issue?

And why wouldn't something like the ps4 camera be considered bad because it was say, day 1 add-on content for the ps4? The camera was ready at console launch, just slap it in the box!

maxcriden

We all know Nabbit should be an item in Mario Kart 8. Aim him at a kart, he'll grab on to the opposing player steal their items/coins and you get half of the coins or one item of whatever power the other had. Example, instead of 3 shells, he only gives you one.

Love this idea. Hoping he's an unlockable character if not, though!

Clownboat

Banned
Just cancelled my order. Cancelled Kirby too because why the fuck not.

j0uS6Sj.png

Revven

I greatly appreciate the upfront behavior on what the season pass nets you vs what other development studios/publishers currently do. Anyone remember the fiasco with Uncharted 3's season pass and how ambiguous and vague on what amount of content you were getting and what counted as a "map pack" to Naughty Dog? Or, how about the various other season pass issues where publishers flat-out don't tell you exactly what you're going to get for buying it -- just promising you'll get x items and uh maybe x stuff.

It's not as "evil" or "money-grubbing" when Nintendo is being honest about what you're paying for and that makes me feel more trusting of them -- that I should get this season pass if I like the game enough, want more content and know that I'm not being cheated or ripped off. It's priced pretty fairly and honestly is a lot more than what other season passes typically get you...

RM8

Hmmm... why? :(

I hope DLC flops and Nintendo never does this again. I'm still buying the game, but I'm not sure I want to support the DLC.

This news has me more excited to buy Mario Golf. I don't know when everyone is so upset. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

That's how I see it. The retail package hasn't been made slight in this case. I mean, there are tons of DLC I ignore with no issues, and if I feel like I've had my fill with the retail package then I won't buy. No one's arms are tied here but it does seem like a significant amount of extra content for the asking price.

Also games in general are more expensive in the UK than the US. I wish it weren't the case but this isn't Nintendo specific.

If they revealed this in June the reaction from GAF would probably have been better because everyone would assume they developed it after the game went gold. But there is absolutely no way to tell. In fact they might have done that too and the game has been gold for a time. We will never know. Day 1 makes it SEEM like it could have been included in the release but in the end it makes no difference in my opinion.

You literally explained my reason, you know the issue; so why question it? I wasn't very interested in Mario Golf in the first place (Mario Tennis is soooo much better), so this really wouldn't of changed my mind on anything.

Top Bottom