• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour DLC [3 packs, 2 x 18 holes ea., New Chars, Day 1, Season Pass]

Clownboat

Banned
I haven't seen this mentioned yet in the thread: This game was delayed for almost a year so they could implement an in-game store.

I`m thinking about getting maybe a Wii U with Mario Kart 8. If they introduce this dlc/season pass thing there too, i will cancel my plans. DLC devalues games for me.

I'm not a huge fan of day one DLC, but the amount of courses in the base game seems fine and it's already budget release. If you buy the season pass, it works out to $2.50 for a 18 hole course which is very reasonable. The only thing that makes me hesitant is Nintendo's lack of an account system. It's why I stick to physical releases and makes this game harder to play between multiple systems.

Now this is something to criticise. This needs to be done ASAP by them, it's better for consumers, and better in the long run for them.

4 additional characters and a ton of courses for 5 dollars more than a regular 3DS game?

Seems fantastic to me. Just wish it was Metal Mario and not Gold Mario, both are just made up spin off characters, the former at least was in the original Mario Golf.

Bulzeeb

Nintendo embraces what they want to embrace. Why is there no party chat of any kind? And where are the online multiplayer side of games? Not that i care about multiplayer, i always prefer a 100% polished sp experience but the majority of wii u owners would like to see more online oriented games.

well this game is for 3ds and I am not sure if the machine can handle a party chat, now the game already. Now the game already has online multiplayer.

Hmmm... why? :(

I hope DLC flops and Nintendo never does this again. I'm still buying the game, but I'm not sure I want to support the DLC.

then don't buy, you are already getting a full game for $30

Xater

Practically every game is cheaper in the US compared to the rest of the world.

Yeah but if their regular 3DS pricing is 40 bucks that is still a 10 dollar discount. We just play the regular high price we always pay. Really shitty if you ask me.

ohlawd

I guess people are just mad at the day one DLC.

I read the PR and the pass actually sounds legit. Nintendo is telling us straight up what's coming and we're able to test drive the courses.

Effect

The negative reaction in this thread just seems like people looking for a reason to jump on Nintendo. All they saw was DLC, season pass (which could even be golf word play since they haven't used it other games), and Nintendo. Didn't bother to read beyond that when the explantation was in the opening post. No need to look anywhere else.

For those surprised that Nintendo is doing DLC then I think you should pay more attention because they've been doing it for a while now on both the 3DS and Wii U. Expect them to continue to do it in the future.

Is the game being $30 pretty much everywhere right now just a preorder deal? I'd prefer to go digital for a game like this that I'll probably keep forever but I really don't want to pay $40.

Edit: Oh I actually see Best Buy has a digital download for $30

Cipherr

Hate DLC season pass nonsense. But fuuuuuck those courses look fantastic, and its a lot of them for 15$ too.

Must resist becoming part of the problem.

Ducayne

Don't mind the DLC-- glad Nintendo has finally made it to the 21st century.

Is it rather doubtful stores will be getting their stock in for this today or tomorrow, right? Leaving for a long trip on Thursday and would love to have this for the flight.

ohlawd

Hate DLC season pass nonsense. But fuuuuuck those courses look fantastic, and its a lot of them for 15$ too.

I hate season passes when I don't know exactly what I'm getting. oh wait that's what everyone else does.

Ima support this because it's a season pass done right. It's a bonus that the added content almost matches the base game which already has a bunch of stuff.

Berordn

Is it really being part of the problem when the base game is already packed with a game's worth of content and then sold under the average MSRP?

Seems like it's just a good deal for extra content.

Sylfurd

I think the intro was 2D to avoid making the demo huge for something unnecessary. Probably the full game has the full 3D effect. As for the 3D during gameplay I think it was ok.
Sadly, the intro isn't 2D, it's the same 3D as in the game ... I don't think the intro is a video, I think it's in realtime, but for whatever reason the decided to apply very few depth effect on their 3D engine, making the effect totally useless gameplay wise ...

Daingurse

Nintendo jumping on the bandwagon I see. Hard to get mad at a company trying to get that guap, just is what it is. Never really seen screens of this before, looks pretty damn good for a 3DS game. Too bad I don't really like golf games.

All of you bitching, actually READ what the content is. The main game has the same amount of content as the rest of the series, and the DLC effectively doubles the content and gives you a few extra characters for £10. I really don't see the problem here.

All of you bitching, actually READ what the content is. The main game has the same amount of content as the rest of the series, and the DLC effectively doubles the content and gives you a few extra characters for £10. I really don't see the problem here.

I agree. The game is also $29.99! I hate the idea of day one DLC too but hey its not like the main game is short on content.

Hmmm... why? :(

I hope DLC flops and Nintendo never does this again. I'm still buying the game, but I'm not sure I want to support the DLC.

To me, this is the way dlc should be done.

Nearly double the game for an extra fiver. Best season pass value ever.

phanphare

Banned

DLC ain't going anywhere. may as well support those who get it right. I've been pretty impressed with Nintendo's efforts in this regard. they have actually been pretty good about value vs. price. New Super Luigi U, the Pikmin DLC, and now this DLC. keep it coming for Mario Kart 8, I say

not only that but the game has more content than previous installments and the game has a discounted MSRP. so basically they could have taken away one of the DLC packs, included the other 2 with the game, and charged the normal $39.99 and people wouldn't bat an eye. it's like people are trained to flip a shit whenever they hear a certain buzzword, which I can't really blame them given certain trends withing the western gaming industry, but still.

I"m conflicted, on one hand this seems like fair value on the other I don't like where this is going.

that said if Smash 4 releases with a fair amount of characters i would buy every single one they release after.

God damn, that's a bit of content for $15. The fact that they bundle a character with the course packs is pretty ace.

Still, I think I'd rather just pay more for a physical copy with all the goods. :p

Exile20

Is the game being $30 pretty much everywhere right now just a preorder deal? I'd prefer to go digital for a game like this that I'll probably keep forever but I really don't want to pay $40.

Edit: Oh I actually see Best Buy has a digital download for $30

So it is not going to be $30 on the eshop?

MilkybKid

Neo Member
Now this is something to criticise. This needs to be done ASAP by them, it's better for consumers, and better in the long run for them.

The account system is in place, they did it a while ago (if you log into Miiverse on PC i believe it knows which games you own, Club Nintendo all tied together with your online purchases etc). Its not perfect due to the whole have to contact them if you want to move systems thing but the goods are tied to an account. Its just that the account is tied to a single console atm. Hopefully they sort that soon to make things easier (most likely they get fed up with support costs) but account tied to single system is different from "they don't have an account system", despite that being the claim that gets thrown about.

Anyway back on topic, this isn't too bad. Content wise its about the same as previous games but maybe a bit low on the big course tally, did some maths in my head and 4 18 hole and 6 9 hole courses seems to add up the magic hole count. But that's still a lot of content.

Assuming the season pass is around the £10-12 mark (hopefully £10, since the game is £28 on amazon over here in the uk) then I'm OK with it.

The important thing here is that they are offering basically the same amount of content compared to the previous game as well as having the DLC. If they were offering less content then I would get the anger as they would truly be embracing the EA way.

Right now I'm ok with it, but I will be watching and waiting for the "step to far" which always comes when companies dip their toes into this pool.

lt519

When did DLC become a bad thing? Sheesh, it can be done correctly, you know....

Agreed same with F2P. However, I don't like the withholding of assets that are ready for release. That is also a very hard thing to determine.

But w/e, I love me some Mario Golf so I'll buy the game and if its fun and I want to play more content I'll get the season pass.

ohlawd

What I do wish is that Nintendo should have jumped on the season pass bandwagon with Fire Emblem Awakening.

I bought all DLC for that, spent like over 60 bucks and I don't regret it but I coulda have saved some money.

The biggest travesty to me is that Rosalina is going to be golfing in her freaking space dress instead of in sporty shorts or whatever. Talk about ludonarrative dissonance.

Maybe this is a response to the "3ds games are too expensive" complaint. it could be nintendo's way to introduce variable pricing for new releases.

Linkhero1

I don't think this is bad at all, but I wouldn't mind if they release complete editions of their games later on with the DLC on the cart. I won't be buying the game day one but I probably will in the future.

Daingurse

When did DLC become a bad thing? Sheesh, it can be done correctly, you know....

Some people inherently take issue with concept of DLC and Season Passes alone. So any implementation of them, regardless of the value proposition, is seen as setting a bad precedent. I'm not one of those people, and simply find it amusing that Nintendo is trying to get that guap gaup like everyone else. Now the floodgates are open for implementation in future games. Will be interesting to observe.

Anteo

They should have know the "Season Pass" name would cause this backlash, I get they were trying to be funny referencing the golf term but come on..

What I do wish is that Nintendo should have jumped on the season pass bandwagon with Fire Emblem Awakening.

I bought all DLC for that, spent like over 60 bucks and I don't regret it but I coulda have saved some money.

Agreed, I ended up paying like $90 for game + dlc. Then again I played for over 300 hours so it was a good deal.

bender

What time is it?
The account system is in place, they did it a while ago (if you log into Miiverse on PC i believe it knows which games you own, Club Nintendo all tied together with your online purchases etc). Its not perfect due to the whole have to contact them if you want to move systems thing but the goods are tied to an account. Its just that the account is tied to a single console atm. Hopefully they sort that soon to make things easier (most likely they get fed up with support costs) but account tied to single system is different from "they don't have an account system", despite that being the claim that gets thrown about.

My concern wasn't really in regard to losing the content but more of the portability of that content which isn't viable at this point.

The only other negative to this is that it will split your online community.

So for 45 bucks I'm going to get 16 courses and 234 holes?

That *sounds* crazy good.

What are the hole totals for the previous games?

Edit: I'm still not exactly on board with this (due to my general aversion to downloading anything via Nintendo's network) but I'm not sure I can resist this time. I know I will be somewhat disappointed if they release a GOTY edition with all this stuff a year from now.

llehuty

My theory is that this game was ready for last year, but seeing how 2013 was packed with good 3DS releases they decided to delay this one and make some extra courses as DLC.
I'm totally ok with this.

Oh, god.
Smash bros first day DLC is pretty much guaranteed now.

I don't want to see Nintendo implementing the "standard" DLC policy when they don't even have basic account functionality.

Top Bottom