• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

That mode on the left is called Mario Golf, not Quick Round. Play its challenges to unlock lots of shit.
GAF Tour
Tournament Spreadsheet (Quote to see):
Community (Quote to see):
Skins Community: 60-5805-1378-1702

8jYO5.png

8kIzH.png

*Release Date: May 1st, 2014 (JP), May 2nd, 2014 (US, EU)
*Price: 4571 Yen (eShop), 29.99 USD/Pounds, 35(?) Euros
*DLC Price: 5.99 USD a pack, 14.99 for everything
*Platform: 3DS & 2DS
*Genre: Arcade Golf
*Official Websites: NA Site|EU Site|JP Site

8kIEa.png

Mario Golf: World Tour is an arcade golf game where you can compete against players from all over the world in online tournaments. It's made by Camelot, the same developers who made the first Everybody's Golf game. The series is accessible, but also gives you a good amount of control over the ball if you want it. This entry emphasizes the online features that let you compete in tournaments with players from all around the world, hence the game's title.
8kIKp.png

*Curse Golf your way through 126 holes on 10 courses with one of 16 different characters.
*The Castle Club mode lets you dress up as your Mii and play with it in challenges and tournaments.
*The Mario Golf mode is... Mario Golf, now with challenges and online tournaments. This is where you will find the crazy courses.
*You can buy remakes of Mario Golf 64 courses as DLC.
*Create online communities and tournaments to your liking, like so:
8jUFT.jpg

8kIM4.png

The goal of golf is simple. You want to get the ball into the hole in as few curses strokes as possible. While in real golf you want to aim for Par, in Mario Golf you want to aim for Birdies to collect all the Birdie Badges.

The game uses a gauge system. You need to adjust for wind, where the ball will bounce, and other factors, but this is something you will learn as you curse play. For now, if you are new to the series then watch the first minute or so of this video to see how to play, because even though it's in Japanese it's very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfwSZnkfpE
With that out of the way, let's cover a couple differences compared to Toadstool Tour.
8kIPM.png

As in past games, if you get a Nice Shot while using a Power Shot, you do not use up the Power Shot. This is very useful if you have good timing because you can use Power Shots over and over. However, the criteria for a Nice Shot is stricter than in Toadstool Tour, as shown below. The "Good Shot" shown below would have been a "Nice Shot" in Toadstool Tour, and since it's not a Nice Shot it consumes a curse Power Shot.
8kIRY.png

If items are enabled then you can use them to enhance your shot, minimizing your curse stroke count. Certain challenges will have the items "rigged", meaning that you will always get them and have to use them to perform the challenge. There will also be things like tourneys featuring a specific item. When playing by yourself or with friends, you can adjust the item settings as you like.
8kITM.png

This game has 10 courses, with a total of 126 holes. They are sorted into two categories, Castle Club and Mario Golf. The Castle Club courses are pretty traditional 18 holers and are what you would expect from an arcade golf game. The Mario Golf courses are 9 holers but tend to be crazier, featuring things like underwater golfing and barrels that send you flying. All courses have been officially revealed and are listed here. There are also DLC courses. These are remakes of the 6 Mario Golf 64 courses.
8kIVV.png

Forest Course
8jSlP.jpg

Seaside Course
8jSxo.jpg

Mountain Course
8jUpk.jpg

Sky Island
8jUjL.jpg
8kIYD.png

Wiggler Park
8jSod.jpg

Peach Gardens
8jSEy.jpg

Yoshi Lake
8jSBS.jpg

Cheep Cheep Lagoon
8jSzG.jpg

DK Jungle
8jSyu.jpg

Bowser's Castle
8jSGa.jpg
8kJ0X.png

Toad Highlands
8jU6E.jpg

Koopa Park
8jUbT.jpg

Layer-Cake Desert (Shy Guy Desert remake)
8jUdJ.jpg

Sparkling Waters (Yoshi Island remake)
8jUgC.jpg

Rock-Candy Mines (Boo Valley remake)
8jTQJ.jpg

Mario's Star
8jU2A.jpg

8kJ3O.png

8kJkv.png

8jUwW.jpg

8kJmb.png

8jUyW.jpg

There's also your Mii, of course. Labels for the characters will be applied soon.
8kJ9G.png

Tourneys are in one tap, FCs are in the other. Quote to see:

NotLiquid

The second Mario Golf I'll be getting, my first one being 64 almost 10 years ago. Pretty excited.

Might pick up Toadstool Tour eventually to see what I've missed since then.

Draconian

Great OP. I'm glad we got a golf pun in the title too!

Can't wait for this. With all 16 courses, this game will be a massive part of my foreseeable future.

Odrion

Banned
The second Mario Golf I'll be getting, my first one being 64 almost 10 years ago. Pretty excited.

Mario Golf 64 came out 15 years ago. I think ten years ago the GCN version was out.

Anyways, I'm excited as all hell.

Schryver

Just bought a 2DS. Looking forward to this since I play golf every once in a while and haven't played Mario Golf since the N64 days. No mini-golf course(s) in this one?

Grunkle

Banned
So hyped for this game. Can't wait to pick this up next Friday. How do we get added to the Gaf Golfers list?

Caladrius

Solid work OP. You forgot to mention that Gold Mario comes with the season pass though.

If only I had the money for both this and Kirby...

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I've never played a mario golf game but Hotshots golf for the vita has changed me, I will definitely be buying this.

Kinsei

Banned
I can't wait. Even though I love golf, I've somehow managed to never play a Mario Golf game even though I've played every other Mario sports game.

Gaf name : Kinsei, Mii name: Elise, Friend code: 3093-7782-3865

The demo for NA comes out tomorrow, right?

I'm really excited to play. I own Toadstool Tour, and while it's an excelent game, I've always felt Mario Golf is the type of game perfect for portables!

Another question: You guys know if we can play as any character online, or only as your Mii?. I remember reading something about that somewhere, but I don't know for sure.

Can't wait for this. Always loved this series, I have fond memories of both console releases.

Also, for those curious, someone is posting the soundtrack from the demo. There 's a little static, but it's the best we have right now.

Seaside Course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3TEOU8Cq0

Peach Gardens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK-1MmcJeSw

Yoshi Lake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYCs80XBjU

Mountain Course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPUUOq3TKOY

Wriggler Park:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlc3ZlcNpG8

Near Hole On Par:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OJ4-zsQ8NQ

Near Hole Under Par:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcoM7s8Lflw

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Saving $10 on my pre-order has me thinking of spending the money for the DLC. They better not charge more for it for Canadians.
They probably will. :(

Kinsei

Banned
The demo for NA comes out tomorrow, right?

I'm really excited to play. I own Toadstool Tour, and while it's an excelent game, I've always felt Mario Golf is the type of game perfect for portables!

Another question: You guys know if we can play as any character online, or only as our Mii. I remember reading something about that somewhere, but I don't know for sure.

Yes, the NA demo is up tomorrow.

You can play as any character you want online. You can set up tournaments where you can only use the specified character, for example someone could make a Birdo only tournament. Maybe that's what you remember reading about.

Velcro Fly

Definitely getting this but I have no idea from where. Amazon doesn't have it in stock to preorder anymore and I'm growing impatient. Don't want to have to rely on Target or GameStop to get the game on release.

Rocky

Banned
Man, I still don't get why Nintendo didn't release a Mario Golf on the Wii. It seemed a no brainer with the motion controls.

Anyway, add me to the list:
Gaf name: Rocky 3DS Name:Rocky FC: 0344-9279-3686

Salsa

Btw, I think people need a reminder that there's no reason to buy the DLC right away unless you want toadette and those 3 courses from day 1. Price is the same there's no extra bonus or anything, so if you're on the fence just play the base game which is plenty and then see what's up.

Game's still a $30 investment, not necessarely $45

Yes, the NA demo is up tomorrow.

You can play as any character you want online. You can set up tournaments where you can only use the specified character, for example someone could make a Birdo only tournament. Maybe that's what you remember reading about.

Cool!

Yeah, I'm not sure about the second one, to tell the truth. I just remember reading something regarding the characters and online (in some preview maybe) that made me a bit disappointed. But maybe I'm just imagining things

Btw, I think people need a reminder that there's no reason to buy the DLC right away unless you want toadette and those 3 courses from day 1. Price is the same there's no extra bonus or anything, so if you're on the fence just play the base game which is plenty and then see what's up.

Game's still a $30 investment, not necessarely $45
Though I thought you get Gold Mario early and a discount if you buy the season pass, right?

daydream

Banned
Getting this day 1 despite the (comparatively) ridiculous EU price. Was planning to "main" Waluigi, but.. floating Rosalina is pretty rad?

daydreaming - daydream - 5043-1159-2527

If you can get that game. It is great, probably the game I spent the second most hours on gamecube (only behind melee)

Revven

Though I thought you get Gold Mario early and a discount if you buy the season pass, right?

Yes, that is correct, but you're only saving $3 (I think?)

Anyway, SUPER pumped about this. Haven't played Mario Golf in years and I loved Toadstool Tour. Here's hoping this one will be just as good, looking forward to trying the demo out tomorrow.

Is the game confirmed to be only $29.99 in the US?
As long as you don't buy it from, like, GameStop. MSRP's $29.99 but GameStop likes increasing the price of $30 Nintendo handheld games by $5. It's been a long time since they had the opportunity to do this so some people might have forgotten this, however.

Koppai

I ordered it from NewEgg, $30 is a fair price for it. I'm excited to play it :)

Mario Tennis for 3DS was quite fun despite not having as much features.

npa189

It has literally been forever since the last Mario Golf, The DS and Wii never got one, how crazy is that?! Getting this for sure as it will break new leaf's deathgrip on my DS.

XaosWolf

Since the demo came out and finally got the Ring Challenge down, I've been on a slight golf kick. (Went and got Pangya for PSP)

Got my game preordered and I'm up for some golfing! =D
XaosWolf - Xaos - 4682-8436-2576

Add me if you want Waluigi taunting you whilst you inevitably win.

As long as you don't buy it from, like, GameStop. MSRP's $29.99 but GameStop likes increasing the price of $30 Nintendo handheld games by $5. It's been a long time since they had the opportunity to do this so some people might have forgotten this, however.
If thats the eShop price then I'll just get it digital, sure this will be a great game to always have on the system.

ohlawd

I've never played a Mario Golf game but I'm excited to try this out. Preorder set, all that jazz.

I don't fucking know a thing about golf though. That better not be a problem. Don't think I'll bother with the demo.

Top Bottom