• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Technically it's not their first "season pass". They've packaged DLC packs together for a discount several times before, like with Fire Emblem. This is just the first time we've known about it and able to buy it before all bits are out.

No, they haven't done a "complete" edition. Nintendo maintains that their games are complete without the DLC and that the DLC is an optional extra. That's why, instead of DLC, they call it "Add-on Content"

DLC and "Add-on Content" are literally synonyms. And packing DLC together for a discount is not really the same thing as a season pass, even if the principle is similar. Well, I guess time will tell whether they'll make some sort of complete edition.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I will be dusting off my 3DS for Mario Golf! Had no intentions to buy it, but after seeing some gameplay footage, plus remembering how much fun I had playing Mario Golf 64 back in the day, it will be a definite buy.

Robin64

The DLC being remakes of all the Mario Golf 64 courses has turned it from being "will buy the full pack later on" to "will buy the pass on day one" for me.

JoeM86

DLC and "Add-on Content" are literally synonyms. And packing DLC together for a discount is not really the same thing as a season pass, even if the principle is similar. Well, I guess time will tell whether they'll make some sort of complete edition.

You can practically guarantee that they won't. While DLC and Add-On Content are essentially synonyms, Add-On Content brings the details on what it actually is to be considered, as an add-on to the complete game. It's all in the wording.

Only in America is this a "season pass", too. In Europe, it's a Three-Pack Set and in Japan it's just "Multipack". It's not actually a season pass. That was just a poorly chosen name by Nintendo of America

Rocky

Banned
ACK!!! I just noticed I entered my FC wrong. It should be 0344-9279-3656. I've added everyone from the GAF list in the OP, so if anyone has tried to add me, please use the above FC and please update in the OP. Thanks.

Griss

Does anyone know if the DLC courses are already on the cart? Deal-breaker for me if so.

You can practically guarantee that they won't. While DLC and Add-On Content are essentially synonyms, Add-On Content brings the details on what it actually is to be considered, as an add-on to the complete game. It's all in the wording.

Only in America is this a "season pass", too. In Europe, it's a Three-Pack Set and in Japan it's just "Multipack". It's not actually a season pass. That was just a poorly chosen name by Nintendo of America

The pedantic semantics of posts like this are amazing. Whether it's a season pass, multipack, add-on content or DLC it's all the same thing we're talking about.

Yes, the company wants to use language to reframe their offering as a good thing. As a consumer you should RESIST that, not embrace it.

JoeM86

Does anyone know if the DLC courses are already on the cart? Deal-breaker for me if so.

The pedantic semantics of posts like this are amazing. Whether it's a season pass, multipack, add-on content or DLC it's all the same thing we're talking about.

Yes, the company wants to use language to reframe their offering as a good thing. As a consumer you should RESIST that, not embrace it.

I'm just saying it's not really a season pass :p Chill!

I don't think the DLC course are already on the game, since you do need to download the Trial Course pack to play them without purchasing.

Griss

wtf at UK prices

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-3...currency=GBP&gclid=CJGChbfr-L0CFXMRtAodbA0AgQ

£35 on the official store which is $58

hardly fair were paying twice the price basically

The price issue over here + the DLC thing + only 4 courses with 18 holes + slightly underwhelming demo have taken this game from megahype day 1 to a wait and see for me.

Really sad as I love golf, love golf games, and love Mario Golf. But I'm not a mug. I refuse to be ripped off.

I'd advise everyone to try the demo before you buy it. Putting in particular feels crazy easy, camera controls are somewhat poor, and the hole design that we've seen so far is uninspired or even poor. I feel kind of like they're falling between making a proper golf game (which is what past Mario Golf games were) and something more silly with this game. I say that due to the introduction of items and due to the holes we've seen so far, which start out, even on the basic course, with silly star shaped areas of rough in the fairways and things like that. All told I'm not sure how the game will pan out.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Well, I do agree ours should be lower, but don't forget the varying factors. Different economies, and the fact our tax is part of the price and America's is not.

You need a tag change to "NeoGAF's #1 Nintendo apologist"

JoeM86

You need a tag change to "NeoGAF's #1 Nintendo apologist"

I'm not an apologist. I always hate when people directly convert prices with no regard for economies or tax situations. I complain when they do it with Sony etc. too so :p

I do agree that the price should be lower than standard here, seeing it is for the US and Japan

MilkybKid

Neo Member

Season pass actually makes sense in this game, as its a golfing term :p

Although according to urban dictionary its also a weird sexual position so I don't know what to believe any more.

Got my copy preordered from amazon to save a few quid (£28), seems about the same as the other site i used which I think is a banned word here. Will have a look at eshop pricing but think it will end up cheaper to get retail and buy GBC mario golf separately.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
should be getting reviews from today? I'm on the fence (although I have it preordered), but lack of async multiplayer would be a dealbreaker for me, so fingers crossed it has it.

should be getting reviews from today? I'm on the fence (although I have it preordered), but lack of async multiplayer would be a dealbreaker for me, so fingers crossed it has it.
Do you mean the option for everybody to play the hole at the same time instead of taking turns? Because we already know it has that and, as far as we know, is the default option for multiplayer.

But yes, reviews in an hour and 20 minutes

The long awaited return of the best Mario Sports series.
Now with much more Mario series stuff yet still no Shy Guy, I guess you can't win them all.
If I got one thing out of the demo it's that I could really use an XL, things felt a bit cramped visually on the original model.

That DLC preys on my nostalgia (as Nintendo often do), it even has updated MG64 music.
Speaking of which hopefully this game continues the trend of Sakuraba having secretly great golf soundtracks.

Rehynn

Yep, the embargo end at 16:00 CEST. That's 10:00 East Coast time.

wrowa

My review: http://www.next-gamer.de/reviews/im-test-mario-golf-world-tour/

Welcome home: Even after 10 years, Mario Golf stays faithful to itself and convinces with great graphics, solid gameplay and creative course designs. The Kingdom Club mode reminds of RPG modes of older handheld Mario Golf games, but it can’t replace those entirely and it starts to feel a little superficial after just a few hours. Mario Golf: World Tour is a solid new title in the series that does justice to its predecessors, however, it feels a little to routined to truly amaze.

We haven’t been able to play the online mode, thus the score is not to be regarded as final yet.

7/10 - tentative
(Badly translated from the German source)

If the online mode’s not completely broken, it’s rather likely that it’ll be updated to an 8, though. World Tour is really right between a 7 and an 8 for me, sometimes situations like that happen.

Spades

Edge: 6/10

This inability to decide where World Tour lies among the many paths the series has taken previously is the game’s true problem. It demonstrates both why Camelot is so trusted by Nintendo, and why it has been stuck making sporting spinoffs for so long. Camelot seems unsure of whether it would prefer to be held by the hand or simply set free, and ends up putting the player in that same awkward middle ground.

http://www.edge-online.com/review/mario-golf-world-tour-review/

Looking forward to trying the demo, may wait a bit to get it since I will be getting Kirby next week. I will be buying it at some point regardless, my Dad is buying it for his 3DS so I need to get it so we can play together.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
NWR reviewed it but no score since online isn't up yet

they seem quite positive about it tho

Mario Golf: World Tour succeeds in crafting a stellar golfing experience, one that will likely become a mainstay in multiplayer circles for a long time. The single-player portion doesn't seem fully realized, but the golf gameplay in World Tour is top notch. With a nice variety of courses and lots to unlock, this is another fine entry in the long line of Mario sports games.

Spades

Eurogamer: 8/10

The natural comparison is with Everybody's Golf - which, of course, developer Camelot was responsible for in the first instance - and while the Vita game has, by a distance, the superior single-player structure, World Tour is more than a match for it in the quality of its courses and the breadth of its options. Both play a great round of golf, because both are founded upon a game mechanic that is the Holy Grail of sports games: easy to learn, difficult to master, reliable enough to empower players while leaving room for the unpredictability of human error.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-24-mario-golf-world-tour-review

Spades

They took points off because it's uncharacteristic of Nintendo to do day one dlc? Oh the double standard. Every game with day one dlc should've been blasted then.

I don't think they took points off, but just listed it as a negative. Which it is, I guess.

maxcriden

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/mario_golf_world_tour

Score pending.

Mario Golf: World Tour delivers, most notably right out of the box, a lengthy and involving experience. There is impressive depth not just in the level of content and diversity of options, but in the golf mechanics themselves; the catered options for beginners and stronger players are impeccably implemented. A minor quibble is that attempts at zaniness with items feel rather superfluous, while well-designed courses would have benefited from some less conventional designs. Aside from that, however, this is an excellent addition to the 3DS library, and offers a fresh experience from its contemporaries. Whether you want to settle in for a 15 minute blast around some challenges, or a longer spell carefully constructing a new record score, this satisfies either desire.

There's little doubt that this could be a long-tail game for 3DS owners. The core content and Mii customisation certainly delivers the fundamentals to deliver just that, something that regular online tournaments may, potentially, take to the next level.

This review has been produced without access to the online functionality and tournaments. We believe the online features are important, particularly, to the replay value of this title, and could be integral in extending the experience in a significant way. In that respect, direct access to and testing of the online modes, how they operate and what they offer is a factor in determining our final score. As a result we will update this review, by 28th April, with a score and additional text once we've fully tested the various modes and tournaments.

Kinda disappointing array of reviews. Edge's complaint that the game doesn't really know what it is is a common point from them lately. Also came up as a point in the Trials Fusion review. The touch pad stuff sounds fantastic, hopefully it matures with the season pass and online stuff.

TomShoe

Banned
Hmm, now that I see the scores, I'm considering picking this up along with MK7 now that the price has gone down. What say you GAF?

can't believe i missed this gem of a post

why should we resist it

how isn't a discount on the dlc a good thing

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I would never expect a golf game to be one that is built to blast right through the way a game reviewer has to. What I'm seeing here is plenty of content of different types that you can access straight away so you can play how you want. That's enough to me! I like golf for quick matches. If I can select everything for a quick match, what is a career for? Only to choose course order if I can't decide and to unlock more stuff to give incentive to stick around through the beginning of learning the game. So the majority of my time up front would be learning it by myself using the tools given, the majority of my time after I have a handle on it would be playing with others or a solo quick match. Docking it for not being linear enough is just weird, especially when you're saying all of the content is great.

Top Bottom