• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

scully1888

Neo Member
lol @ "uncharacteristic"

literally a negative because it's nintendo.

Actually, I wrote the CVG review. I have been a Nintendo fan for 28 years and worked for Official Nintendo Magazine for six years and Nintendo Gamer for a year before moving to CVG.

So to accuse me of giving a negative mark "because it's Nintendo" is about as wrong as you can get.

It's listed as a negative point in the pluses and minuses at the end of the review but it's not a major contributing factor to the score, as you'll see if you read the full review (which, incidentally, I wish more people did instead of just looking at scores and drawing conclusions based on them).

Chris Scullion
Games Editor, CVG

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/24/mario-golf-world-tour-review-par-for-the-course-4707805/

8/10

We don’t think anyone plays golf, either virtually or actually, wanting bleeding edge innovation and much of World Tour’s appeal comes from it being the video game equivalent of a nice comfortable pair of slippers. The gameplay is exactly what anyone buying the game would want and expect, and so the defining features become the array of options that surround it. And these are very good.
EDIT: http://www.denofgeek.us/games/mario-golf-world-tour/234980/mario-golf-world-tour-review

4/5
But all minor issues aside, Mario Golf: World Tour is an easy hole-in-one in many aspects. The game looks great running on the 3DS hardware, and its many unique courses and play styles are only matched by the diverse customization options and refreshing item shot power-ups. If there’s one thing that I do know for sure, it’s that regular golf will never feel the same now without a Fire Flower to help me get through those pesky trees.

bumpkin

Actually, I wrote the CVG review. I have been a Nintendo fan for 28 years and worked for Official Nintendo Magazine for six years and Nintendo Gamer for a year before moving to CVG.

So to accuse me of giving a negative mark "because it's Nintendo" is about as wrong as you can get.

It's listed as a negative point in the pluses and minuses at the end of the review but it's not a major contributing factor to the score, as you'll see if you read the full review (which, incidentally, I wish more people did instead of just looking at scores and drawing conclusions based on them).

Chris Scullion
Games Editor, CVG
"Cred" doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. After reading your review, it seems to me your reasons for knocking off points from the score are (in no particular order):

1. No hand-holding (esp. for advanced techniques)
2. A SP mode that isn't as RPG-like as the coveted GBC game
3. DLC "to essentially double the game's hole count"

My two cents...

Whether or not #1 matters depends mainly on if you're the type to look at the manual for info on techniques. I actually recall having to look in the manual and online to find out I could do certain things in the PS Vita Hot Shots Golf as well. So maybe this is just a Camelot thing and not specific to Mario Golf.

Moving on to #2, that was clearly a design choice. I'm willing to bet if they did emulate the mode in this new entry, a faction of reviewers would bitch about it not doing something new.

And as for #3, OOTB, the game has more courses than any other Mario Golf entry to date. Considering it a negative having the option to almost double its course count for half the price of the game is a pretty petty thing to complain about; especially when you call it out explicitly and break out an Iwata quote to somehow validate the criticism. Nintendo does something progressive (for them) and it's a war crime. Ok, whatever dude.

I'm looking forward to trying the demo later today and will probably be buying the game shortly after it comes out.

You haven't even played the game.
icon_lol.gif

icon_uhoh.gif

Chill out fella. Play the demo first at least. He gave the game a good score, FFS.

JLeack

Banned

Chris Scullion
Games Editor, CVG

After spending the last week playing the game, I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm about to write my review right now.

I happened to like your review. Good job.

What's with the IGN review mentioning only three courses?

Once you play it you'll see why. The game doesn't make it very obvious that there are other courses.

7 is a score not really worth getting worked up about.
Once you play it you'll see why. The game doesn't make it very obvious that there are other courses.
Employee A: This Mario Golf mode contains a lot of the content and has a challenge campaign structure that unlocks things. What should we use as a descriptive label?

B: Hmm... Quick Round!

A: WTF? People will assume tha-

C: That's a great descriptor!

D: I agree!

E: Me too!

A: ...I quit.

Randdalf

And as for #3, OOTB, the game has more courses than any other Mario Golf entry to date. Considering it a negative having the option to almost double its course count for half the price of the game is a pretty petty thing to complain about; especially when you call it out explicitly and break out an Iwata quote to somehow validate the criticism. Nintendo does something progressive (for them) and it's a war crime. Ok, whatever dude.

Number of courses sure, but what about the number of holes?

-NeoTB1-

Day 1! I've had this pre-ordered for a while now. If I enjoy this even half as much as I do Hot Shots on the Vita, I will be playing this game for a long, long time.

JoeM86

Chris Scullion
Games Editor, CVG

Thing is Chris, it's not that uncharacteristic. It's happened at least twice, off the top of my memory, so far not including this instance:

Fire Emblem Awakening:
Japanese Release: April 19th 2012
First DLC pack - Xenologue: Champions of Yore 1: April 19th 2012 (and more came weekly)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
Japanese Release: November 23rd 2012
First DLC packs, all November 23rd 2012
PokéForest, Ivy Park, Scalchop Beach, Pika Land, Mt. Travail, Skill Treasury (next pack came two weeks later)

Don't get me wrong, I hate Day 1 DLC like crazy, but this isn't a first instance and setting of a precedent. That has been around for two years. But I digress. I've not played the game so am not going to critique your review. Just playing devil's advocate :)

I'm still disappointed that Rosalina, one of the most intelligent characters in the entire Mushroom Universe, doesn't realize that a space dress isn't conducive for good aerodynamics when playing sports. I guess it's only fair though that Peach and Daisy get at least ONE opportunity in their pathetic lives to show up the queen.

The game looks fantastic, but I'm moving soon and may not have Internet access at my new place for a while. I was all set on picking this up day 1, but since I'll need a hefty single player experience for the next several weeks I might pick up SMT IV or Bravely Default instead.

Going to download the demo now, looking forward to it.

CaVaYeRo

There are 10 courses and 126 holes, which is a ton.

First three are 'realistic', Star Islands are par 3, floating islands. These are 18 holes.

Then there are the Nintendo World courses, with special and beautiful stuff.

The only problem with this, and I note it as a gripe on my review, is that, if you get sucked into Castle Club mode, which GBA fans will surely do, there's almost no way to notice how the hell you get star coins to unlock those 6x9 holes courses.

Then you realize you only had to get out that mode, and enter Challenges via quick play single player. There are a ton, and they're cool.

Content-wise, it's really good stuff. I've played NES, GBA, 64, GC and even We Love Golf, and IMO this is the best and most balanced by far so far.

Sorry for my today's English, I'm über tired. Just ask if in doubt. And damn, Nintendo, enable that online service already!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
2 play sessions of the demo a day until release... that might be enough...

Hale-XF11

Demo is charming as one would expect from a Nintendo game, if a bit generic and straight to the point. Got a birdie on all 3 holes in Seaside Course on my first try, using Peach. Almost got a hole-in-one on the second hole. Switched from easy to manual because that's more fun and I prefer having total control. Kinda wish there was an option to stroke with the touch screen. Pretty looking graphics overall. The 3D effect doesn't really add much. I was really hoping it wouldn't look so flat, but it seems they opted to go with minimal stereo effect in this game and instead keeping most further objects inset on one plane. I hate that this is a new trend for Nintendo. They did it it with Steel Diver Sub Wars too. Makes it look cheap, imo, but what can you do. Looking around with gyro controls is interesting, if a bit weird since there's a strange lag as you move around. Feels like the camera is heavier than necessary. I don't feel like I should have to turn the 3DS so wide just to see a bit to the right or left.

I guess those are my initial demo impressions for now.

Edit: Ring Master is reaaaaaally annoying me because of the stereo 3D effect not giving me any sense of depth whatsoever when trying to figure out the relation of where my shot will end up compared to where a ring sits. When zooming in to see my landing point, everything is flat on one plane. That and you can't move the camera around the ball, only forwards and backwards. I find that frustrating.

I'm still disappointed that Rosalina, one of the most intelligent characters in the entire Mushroom Universe, doesn't realize that a space dress isn't conducive for good aerodynamics when playing sports. I guess it's only fair though that Peach and Daisy get at least ONE opportunity in their pathetic lives to show up the queen.

The game looks fantastic, but I'm moving soon and may not have Internet access at my new place for a while. I was all set on picking this up day 1, but since I'll need a hefty single player experience for the next several weeks I might pick up SMT IV or Bravely Default instead.

Going to download the demo now, looking forward to it.

"Normalizing" a character like Rosalina by stripping her down to sports wear would be plain weird, if you ask me. It does not fit the character, so I find her wearing her traditional clothing and commanding the golf club rather than using it herself to be a far better representation of the character. She's not just another one of the princesses.

Still can't beat Nabbit, though.

I'll have to wait until I'm home before I can download the demo... aaaargh.

Odrion

Banned
Who cares about the scores.

It's Mario Golf. It doesn't matter if the metacritic score is 90 or 80, it's fucking Mario Golf. What? Are you going to buy the other Mario Golf that's on the 3DS? Oh wait, there isn't anything else like it. Maybe buy or dig out another version of Mario Golf that came out on a less recent console? Unless you're planning on dusting off your old Gamecube or GBA, fuuuuck that.

It's score should be Mario Golf out of there hasn't been a new Mario Golf game in a decade. Holy shit finally.

wrowa

Moving on to #2, that was clearly a design choice. I'm willing to bet if they did emulate the mode in this new entry, a faction of reviewers would bitch about it not doing something new.

Congrats, you realized how reviews work. Games are entertainment and entertainment is inherently subjective, no matter how neutral you try to look at it. Some people will miss the RPG mode (me included), other will enjoy the more streamlined approach. It's up to you to decide which side you fall on. Reviews aren't written truths and they don't declare to be that. If you read a review and realize that you disagree with central points of it, you can be certain that it's not a review that's written to your tastes. That's why the sheer amount of reviews is a great thing - you are bound to find one that shares your view on things and that you feel you can rely on. However, that doesn't mean that a review that doesn't share the view is a bad or flawed one -- it just looks at things from another perspective.

Whether or not #1 matters depends mainly on if you're the type to look at the manual for info on techniques. I actually recall having to look in the manual and online to find out I could do certain things in the PS Vita Hot Shots Golf as well. So maybe this is just a Camelot thing and not specific to Mario Golf.
This is not related to the rest of the stuff I said and just a minor nitpick, but: Camelot hasn't made Hot Shots Golf for Vita. They haven't been on that series for an eternity.

Velcro Fly

Also let's not hound someone because of a review score. They are entitled to their opinions so let's just leave it at that. It does nothing to take away from the enjoyment we are getting out of the game.

Why can't I hold all these error codes downloading the demo? Nintendo pls :(

Just played three holes of the demo. Why the hell does Mario say "Let's a go!" every 15-20 seconds. Annoying when I'm lining up a shot.

Kinsei

Banned
Spent the last hour playing the demo. It's awesome. I got an Eagle by complete accident on Yoshi Lake 2 ^.^

My favorite part of the demo is the ring challenge (Bowser's curved shot is a godsend for this). We can play them online in the full game, right? I hope it's not limited to regular games.

Is there a use for the bullet bill in the demo? It seems like using it would cause you to miss the star coin.

JazzmanZ

Is it me or does Yoshi sound a lot like his N64 version? I coulda swore I was hearing Yoshi story and the classic sound he makes in the mario parties (that weird two beat ba-ding sound)

Kouriozan

Is it me or does Yoshi sound a lot like his N64 version? I coulda swore I was hearing Yoshi story and the classic sound he makes in the mario parties (that weird two beat ba-ding sound)

Dunno but I LOVE his voice in this game + with the Yoshi Lake course music being Yoshi Story's it's really awesome.

rugioh

Banned
Who cares about the scores.

It's Mario Golf. It doesn't matter if the metacritic score is 90 or 80, it's fucking Mario Golf. [/i]

Thank you. I find it hilarious we're flipping this into a review thread, it isn't some AAA Magna Carta GOTY we're talking about.

Tookay

Thing is Chris, it's not that uncharacteristic. It's happened at least twice, off the top of my memory, so far not including this instance:

Fire Emblem Awakening:
First DLC pack - Xenologue: Champions of Yore 1: April 19th 2012 (and more came weekly)

PokéForest, Ivy Park, Scalchop Beach, Pika Land, Mt. Travail, Skill Treasury (next pack came two weeks later)

Don't get me wrong, I hate Day 1 DLC like crazy, but this isn't a first instance and setting of a precedent. That has been around for two years. But I digress. I've not played the game so am not going to critique your review. Just playing devil's advocate :)

It happening two times before still makes it uncharacteristic. You're conflating "uncharacteristic" with "first instance" and "setting a precedent."

"Cred" doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. After reading your review, it seems to me your reasons for knocking off points from the score are (in no particular order):

1. No hand-holding (esp. for advanced techniques)
2. A SP mode that isn't as RPG-like as the coveted GBC game
3. DLC "to essentially double the game's hole count"

My two cents...

I'm looking forward to trying the demo later today and will probably be buying the game shortly after it comes out.

Why do posters do this? Play the game, then critique. You guys get all invested in something you've already made your mind on.

hort22

I just watched Gamexplain's discussion and they said you can, but now it's during the swing itself, so it no longer shows how it'll impact the flight path

well the gamecube version would show you the shot path and then during the swing you would still have to move the ball point to that spot...is that what they mean?

well the gamecube version would show you the shot path and then during the swing you would still have to move the ball point to that spot...is that what they mean?

It sounds to me like you can adjust it only during the swing and it doesn't show how that'll affect the ball at all

scully1888

Neo Member

Fire Emblem Awakening:

This is true, but it's also worth bearing in mind that Champions Of Yore 1 was free for a limited period, meaning at least those who bought the game on day one didn't have that annoying feeling of paying for the game and paying an extra fee for all the content available at that point.

I think the frustrating thing is that, Fire Emblem and PMD being the exceptions, any time Nintendo's introduced DLC to its games it feels like it's been created after the game was finished (even if that wasn't actually case).

The fact that they've actually released trailers with all three upcoming DLC packs and therefore made it clear that yes, all this content is ready and waiting for a staggered release, is what's uncharacteristic of them.

Wait, online isn't available? How is everyone reviewing this game then? That seems to be a huge part of the game

It was available for me - I detail each of the currently available tournaments in my CVG review. Wouldn't have given it a score otherwise.

Chris Scullion
Games Editor, CVG

Hi Chris, just read your piece. Had you played Toadstool's Tour before?

Edit: I don't think there's a mention of the items that you seem to get on the course. How do they change the game as compared to the others?

You intimate the it's fantastic "on the course" but the surrounding structure is what let's it down. Is that what makes it worth 7/10?

Is that combined with expectations of an RPG mode as well?

Salsa

man if 7 is a bad worrying score worthy of deep and detailed explanations then reviews are beyond fucked moreso because of users than reviewers

Top Bottom