• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you mean the option for everybody to play the hole at the same time instead of taking turns? Because we already know it has that and, as far as we know, is the default option for multiplayer.

But yes, reviews in an hour and 20 minutes

no, the opposite. I *want* to play turn by turn not at the same time.

Also, any of the reviews mention whether it has multiple save slots and each can go online separately? My kids will want to play too, and I like how Nintendo games mostly have three slots which is perfect for us.

When you're playing castle club, you're forced to be a Mii?

Zalman

I'd like to know how this game compares to Toadstool Tour. That one is currently my favorite Mario Golf game, but this one seems to have more variety and content.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Who cares about the scores.

It's Mario Golf. It doesn't matter if the metacritic score is 90 or 80, it's fucking Mario Golf. What? Are you going to buy the other Mario Golf that's on the 3DS? Oh wait, there isn't anything else like it. Maybe buy or dig out another version of Mario Golf that came out on a less recent console? Unless you're planning on dusting off your old Gamecube or GBA, fuuuuck that.

It's score should be Mario Golf out of there hasn't been a new Mario Golf game in a decade. Holy shit finally.

depending what it brings to the table, I'd happily dust off my vita and go back to everybody's golf. The demo was a bit odd for me, but at least I was playing as mario etc. The idea of walking around the castle club as my ugly Mii doesn't instill confidence.

I'd like a ton of customisation - outfits, gear etc, but I haven't seen much talk of that in the reviews yet.

wrowa

Also, any of the reviews mention whether it has multiple save slots and each can go online separately? My kids will want to play too, and I like how Nintendo games mostly have three slots which is perfect for us.
I need to go back to the game to be sure (and I can't right now), but I think you only have one save file.

When you're playing castle club, you're forced to be a Mii?
Yep.

I'd like a ton of customisation - outfits, gear etc, but I haven't seen much talk of that in the reviews yet.

The Kingdom Club mode is pretty much centered around buying new outfits and gears.

scully1888

Neo Member
Hi Chris, just read your piece. Had you played Toadstool's Tour before?

You intimate the it's fantastic "on the course" but the surrounding structure is what let's it down. Is that what makes it worth 7/10?

Is that combined with expectations of an RPG mode as well?

It's a combination of things, really. I did indeed play Toadstool Tour back in the day, though I must confess that was back when it was first released so I probably haven't played it for almost a decade.

I was a massive fan of the GBC and GBA games and was hoping that since Camelot had developed both of those, that the 3DS version would also have a similar RPG mode. However, to have dropped points for this reason would have been petty - nevertheless, I did feel it was worth mentioning in the review in case people were seeking that information.

The reason it dropped points (only in my opinion, of course) is because the main Castle Club mode is really a bit of a mess. It's packed with NPC characters randomly scattered around, the vast majority of whom say nothing of any value, meaning the rare few who do actually have advice get lost in the crowd. There's no map pointing out which rooms do what, and much of the first few hours of the game consist of wandering around with no clue where to go next.

Putting all the unlockable stuff in a mode called Quick Play was also a bizarre move in my opinion. In almost all sports games that implies "exhibition mode", a one-off match and nothing else. For that reason I didn't feel I had any reason to choose that mode until later, for the sake of completeness when writing the review, I tried it out and realised it had a Challenge mode which is actually the way the other courses are unlocked.

Until I discovered this there was no way of telling how to get the new courses. All I had was an empty room in the Castle Club with a single pipe leading to the Peach stage and not-at-all helpful Toad simply saying "this is the only course open just now". So what? Is it a timed unlock? Do I have to do something else? Play a certain number of practice games? Take part in an online game? I was lost.

In short, my feeling was that the majority of players who pick up this game are going to have a hell of a confusing time figuring out what to do and where to go next, and for that reason the first few hours spent with the game aren't quite as enjoyable as they should be. Had the game actually been structured better I'd have given it an 8, maybe a 9 had there been a wider range of online tournaments available and had the day one DLC been present in the game too (at least those two courses).

Sorry for the lengthy reply, hope that helps a little!

Chris

Hmm, now that I see the scores, I'm considering picking this up along with MK7 now that the price has gone down. What say you GAF?

Can't go wrong with MK7, super great game and even the online works really well. It'll hype you up for MK8 too.

I'm getting golf as well, so I support your desire to pick it up.

man if 7 is a bad worrying score worthy of deep and detailed explanations then reviews are beyond fucked moreso because of users than reviewers

Thing is, I don't care for scores whatsoever.

Just wanted to know what was the cause for the score, considering it wasn't the DLC part.

And there are additions in the game which I hoped would have been talked about, maybe I missed them.

Just didn't really get a sense of being informed - other than the fact that I should read the digital manual and check menus.

Edit: appreciate the reply.

scully1888

Neo Member
You're EU-based, right? Might be a US thing then

Yup. Another thing worth bearing in mind is that American gamers may not be as bothered by the DLC because the actual game is cheaper there. In the US, it's priced at $29.99 whereas in the UK it's a full price game priced on the official Nintendo UK online store at £34.99 ($60). So add another £10 ($16) DLC on top of that and you're talking the equivalent of nearly $80 in the UK.

It's a combination of things, really. I did indeed play Toadstool Tour back in the day, though I must confess that was back when it was first released so I probably haven't played it for almost a decade.

I was a massive fan of the GBC and GBA games and was hoping that since Camelot had developed both of those, that the 3DS version would also have a similar RPG mode. However, to have dropped points for this reason would have been petty - nevertheless, I did feel it was worth mentioning in the review in case people were seeking that information.

The reason it dropped points (only in my opinion, of course) is because the main Castle Club mode is really a bit of a mess. It's packed with NPC characters randomly scattered around, the vast majority of whom say nothing of any value, meaning the rare few who do actually have advice get lost in the crowd. There's no map pointing out which rooms do what, and much of the first few hours of the game consist of wandering around with no clue where to go next.

Putting all the unlockable stuff in a mode called Quick Play was also a bizarre move in my opinion. In almost all sports games that implies "exhibition mode", a one-off match and nothing else. For that reason I didn't feel I had any reason to choose that mode until later, for the sake of completeness when writing the review, I tried it out and realised it had a Challenge mode which is actually the way the other courses are unlocked.

Until I discovered this there was no way of telling how to get the new courses. All I had was an empty room in the Castle Club with a single pipe leading to the Peach stage and not-at-all helpful Toad simply saying "this is the only course open just now". So what? Is it a timed unlock? Do I have to do something else? Play a certain number of practice games? Take part in an online game? I was lost.

In short, my feeling was that the majority of players who pick up this game are going to have a hell of a confusing time figuring out what to do and where to go next, and for that reason the first few hours spent with the game aren't quite as enjoyable as they should be. Had the game actually been structured better I'd have given it an 8, maybe a 9 had there been a wider range of online tournaments available and had the day one DLC been present in the game too (at least those two courses).

Sorry for the lengthy reply, hope that helps a little!

Chris

Thanks for clarifying it. All those points seems to be perfectly reasonable issues with the game, and its good to know them before playing it

Besides, 7 is not a bad score, by any means. It is in line with what I would expect from a Mario Golf game. From what you are saying though, leaving apart those issues, the gameplay and modes seem solid enough for a great pick up and play golf game, and that's what matters the most to me.

Great OP. I'm glad we got a golf pun in the title too!

Can't wait for this. With all 16 courses, this game will be a massive part of my foreseeable future.

I'm super stoked! After reveal, this was one of my most anticipated releases for 2013 - that it still holds true, a year late - says a lot.

Can't wait for 5/2!

I think the main issue here is that the "Quick Round" label for the Mario Golf mode is horrible. It's such a small thing that has such a large impact on the way many people will approach the game.

EDIT: And BTW, if you want to tell reviewers that their opinion is wrong then make a damn review thread instead of shitposting in this thread. I want as few shitposts in this thread as possible.

Kinsei

Banned
I am really loving Bowser. His fade gives some great opportunities for trick shots.

I've added everyone in the OP. Feel free to add me if you are so inclined.

RoadDogg

It is a shame the demo defaults to having easy mode turned on. Hopefully there is some kind of penalty to the player using that in the real game. The real challenge and fun comes from manual mode. I liked how HSG solved for it by lowering your stats quite a bit if you used the easy clubs so you couldn't really compete against someone competent with them in the end. The putting view and grid seems very hard to read on the small 3DS screen for me though. Its too pixelated or something and not zoomed in far enough for me.

Side question - If I put my 3DS to sleep with the demo open, does that still only count as 1 play? I need the demo to last me until my retail copy comes next week...

Edit: I should get my friend code in here too so I can have people to play with later (I have no friends who will get this...). I will try and keep up on adding everyone in the OP to my list.

Bill - 4339-2522-2205

Tarps

I fell in love with the GBA game, so I'm down for this day 1. probably get the DLC too.

Feel free to add me: Tarpii 3351 4038 7642

So, so psyched for this! As soon as I get home I'll be submitting my FC to get some more golf ing buddies! I played hundreds of hours of Toadstool Tour, so I expect some serious competition!

javac

I posed this in the previous thread and not sure if many had seen it so I'll post it again here since this is the OT. You get a free Mario hat if you pre-order the game from Nintendo's UK Store. it costs £34.99. Link

s5PUUs4.jpg

Also
Plus, as a special bonus, you get a free download code for Mario Golf (Game Boy Color) if you purchase Mario Golf: World Tour from Nintendo eShop by May 29th 2014! The download code will be shown on the screen after purchase, and also on your receipt, and is valid until June 30th 2014. Mario Golf (Game Boy Color) is exclusively available through this offer until May 29th, when it will become available for purchase. If you take advantage of this offer, you can download it before the official release for free!
LINK

Sorry if this is all already known :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How does the gameplay compare to Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee? That was a joy. This seems more complicated.

Kinsei

Banned
It is a shame the demo defaults to having easy mode turned on. Hopefully there is some kind of penalty to the player using that in the real game. The real challenge and fun comes from manual mode. I liked how HSG solved for it by lowering your stats quite a bit if you used the easy clubs so you couldn't really compete against someone competent with them in the end. The putting view and grid seems very hard to read on the small 3DS screen for me though. Its too pixelated or something and not zoomed in far enough for me.

Side question - If I put my 3DS to sleep with the demo open, does that still only count as 1 play? I need the demo to last me until my retail copy comes next week...

Edit: I should get my friend code in here too so I can have people to play with later (I have no friends who will get this...). I will try and keep up on adding everyone in the OP to my list.

Bill - 4339-2522-2205

As long as you don't turn off the 3DS or exit the demo it only counts as one use. You could have your 3DS in sleep mode all week and still be on your first use.

Cody_D165

Banned

gerudoman

I've been playing both Advance Tour and the World Tour demo a lot lately and I find putting easier in WT, mainly because of the arrows showing the inclination of the ground being more clear than the ones of AT.

Velcro Fly

I'm still awesome at putting but a few times I've been really bad on timing my drives. Like really way worse than I ever was on TT. This will take some getting used to.

RoadDogg

I think people just need to adjust a little bit. I found that it just doesn't break as much as you think it would naturally. I've already it a 49ft and 53ft putt in like 6 rounds.

My problem with the putting is I can't see the hole clearly. The camera needs to be a bit higher and angled down a bit or something. Or its just the low res screen on the normal 3DS. Having 3D turned on full blast helps out a tiny tiny bit, but I really want to be able to see the hole more.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Played the demo and really enjoyed it. I had no issues with the control when I started using the d pad first and circle pad later for camera stuff. The only thing I will say is that I do not like is on putting having to hit x, use the circle pad to zoom towards the hole then use the d pad to aim. Other then that I found the actual putting to be extremely easy and missed only two puts through each of the 6 demo modes.

I wish there was more then just the bullet bill item on peaches course to see though. (Unless I missed one)

Velcro Fly

lol on Yoshi's Lake hole 5 if you miss the bounce pad and hit it into the water they will keep giving you a drop right in front of the pad where you have no choice but to hit around it. What total shit that is. I had to take a +8 because it kept giving me the same ridiculous drop with something right in front of me every single time.

Randdalf

I thought the demo was really easy, I got a birdie on every hole my first time and I'm not that good at games usually.

Also, I'm wondering if the demo had a bug in it. The grid that appears on the course when you're targetting a shot, I always remembered that appearing centered on where the shot was projected to land in previous games, but in the demo the actual shot sometimes didn't even land inside the grid. Is this intentional?

Schryver

anyone gaming it on a 2ds?

thinking about picking one up...just for this game.

I just got a 2DS last week and will be trying the demo tonight. My first handheld since the GameBoy Color o_O I actually can't decide if I want to keep it though because my initial impressions are that it's not comfortable to hold. Lots of people say the 2DS is better than the XL in terms of ergonomics but I need to decide for myself. I am also tempted to get the larger screen even if it will look slightly more pixelated because the normal screen is on the small side. XL is also more portable because of the clamshell

Top Bottom