• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 3DS Development Details - Japanese Iwata's Ask

I'd argue that it's forced them to make better use of the studios they already own - they brought in Brownie Brown to help with Mario 3D, for example, and Monolith helped out on Skyward Sword, and if they weren't listed in the credits you'd never guess they weren't 100% EAD games. I'm not saying they don't need to grow, but they'd be much better served by having the studios they already own work on more software (particularly software that actually sees the light of day) than buying even more studios that don't seem to do a whole lot.

Either way, it seems like a total nonsequitur in the context of this thread.

And speaking of which, very curious what Brownie Brown worked on for 3D land. Guessing art assets here as well.
Well, I'm going off topic. Anyhow, super hyped for MK7. One more week!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So Retro was used as an asset farm. Boo urns.

Just...just give me Metroid Prime Wii U. Please.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
First impressions on twitter are excellent. Championship can be played in coop and unlocks stuff for all players.

Ezalc

A shame Waluigi isn't in. Instead we got characters like Shyguy, Koopa, Lakitu, and Wiggler who all suffer from the major character design flaw of not being a twin-counterpart of an evil clone for the sole purpose of roster filler and are instead unique, individual, well established and historical enemies that seemingly nobody cares about.

What a freaking travesty.

I have no problem with Shyguy, Lakitu, or Koopa (though I prefer Dry bones). Don't care at all for Wiggler or the bee. Metal Mario is pretty eh. I don't understand why they don't make characters like the Koopa and such the partners from the Paper Mario games. Koops, Goombella, Admiral Bobbery. They should all be racers instead of their generic counterparts. Oh yeah and also Every MK needs some:

XEK76K5T.jpg

WHAT?!?
OH SHIT.

You do realise that every single Mario Kart game (with the sole exception of Mario Kart Wii) has done this right?

Oh and Waluigi better be in the fucking game. He's the best character in the series! (after Boo of course!)

Him having his own course in the game and not actually being playable would be a crime against humanity! (I'm sure that there are plenty of unlockable characters we haven't seen yet. Nobody knew about ROB or Dry Bowser before their respective games came out...)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't understand why they don't make characters like the Koopa and such the partners from the Paper Mario games. Koops, Goombella, Admiral Bobbery. They should all be racers instead of their generic counterparts.

Because Koopa Troopa is one of the original racer so have some respect. The only person people should be grieving for is DK Jr who hasn't been back since the original.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well, technically he has been in every single Mario Kart game ever made...
H3bXV.png

If Baby Mario and Mario can co-exist in the same game DK and DK Jr can as well and that is if we assume DK = DK Jr rather than DK Jr = DK's dad. Diddy was originally meant to be DK Jr modernised but Nintendo requested he became a new character.

Ezalc

H3bXV.png

If Baby Mario and Mario can co-exist in the same game DK and DK Jr can as well and that is if we assume DK = DK Jr rather than DK Jr = DK's dad. Diddy was originally meant to be DK Jr modernised but Nintendo requested he became a new character.

DK Jr. is now DK and old DK is now Cranky Kong.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm glad you'll be able to unlock everything for all players through Grand Prix, i hated that in MKWii because i made some silly license named "Alien" with an alien Mii which i used to unlock everything... And now even if i wanted to change my Mii to something else, i would still be called "Alien", which make no sense with every other Miis i've got.

RedSwirl

So Retro was used as an asset farm. Boo urns.

Just...just give me Metroid Prime Wii U. Please.

That's actually the primary reason I'm excited for the Wii-U, just to see that art team work on more recent hardware.

I wouldn't be surprised if SpotPass allows Nintendo to rush games to market and offer belated DLC content as a feature.

I'm gunning for an extra Cup or two every Holiday season...

Maybe "Boomerang Cup" with Luigi's Mansion 2, Jungle Returns, Neo-Bowser City 2, and Rainbow Highway.

And "Tanooki Cup" with GCN Wario Colloseum, DS Tick Tock Clock, N64 Yoshi Valley, and GBA Ribbon Road.

or some shit

Hasn't Nintendo already stated that they don't really believe in DLC as a policy?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't remember this, do you have a pic?
0Hl7I.png

Hasn't Nintendo already stated that they don't really believe in DLC as a policy?
They're fine with DLC, Animal Crossing Wii was full of it. What they were iffy about was paid for DLC, but they seem to be softening up to the idea. Basically if the feel a lot of effort has been put into producing the DLC they can charge. They won't be charging you for colour schemes just yet.

Javier

They're fine with DLC, Animal Crossing Wii was full of it. What they were iffy about was paid for DLC, but they seem to be softening up to the idea. Basically if the feel a lot of effort has been put into producing the DLC they can charge. They won't be charging you for colour schemes just yet.
To add to this, I believe they also confirmed they won't charge for content that's already on the cart. They won't let 3rd Parties do it either.

Gravijah

anyone who has played this, do you know if stages like bowsers castle 1, mario circuit 2 and dino dino jungle have music ripped straight from the original games? or are they remixed?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
To add to this, I believe they also confirmed they won't charge for content that's already on the cart. They won't let 3rd Parties do it either.

Well, if there is one thing Nintendo does right, its this at least.

Shiggy

[Nintex];32954107 said:
So Retro Studios has been Rare'd?

It's just the Activisionization of Nintendo. First 'neglect' the studio, then make it help on your main titles. Brownie Brown worked on Super Mario 3D Land and Monolith on Zelda Skyward Sword. Based on this, NST is probably working on the next 2D Mario...

It's just the Activisionization of Nintendo. First 'neglect' the studio, then make it help on your main titles. Brownie Brown worked on Super Mario 3D Land and Monolith on Zelda Skyward Sword. Based on this, NST is probably working on the next 2D Mario...

Brownie Brown/NST neglected? Perhaps. Don't see you could say the same of Monolith though.

Take out Monolith from that example and it would work (they have produced 3 original IPs since 2008 after all. That's more than any other Nintendo 1st or 2nd party!)

Brownie Brown have actually done more work for Square Enix and Level 5 than they have done for Nintendo
01laugh.gif
They're pretty much an external dev team that Nintendo ship out to selected partners to help them in making exclusives.

Poor NST though :( Reduced to working on endless sequels to Mario VS DK for all eternity. I'm never going to get Mach Rider Unchained am I? :(

Celine

Mario Kart 7's 16 native tracks offer enough variety that the potential of both the hang-gliding and the aquatic sections are properly realised, but what's impressive is how well the new mechanics mesh with the 16 retro tracks, too. Excellent work here from Donkey Kong Country Returns developers Retro Studios, who were tasked with retrofitting the old courses with rampways and dampways - many of the returning tracks are not only capable of supporting the gliders, but are actually enhanced by them.

Top Bottom