• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Apenheul

I've just completed all the cups on 50cc. The retro track selection is great, it contains some of my favorite stages of all time. Whether or not it's the best Mario Kart I don't know yet, I've only began to appreciate the Wii version after a couple of weeks. I can say that if you liked the track-design of Double Dash you'll surely like MK7, and there are plenty of shortcuts.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of sucks that Shy Guy is in the lightest weight class. I hope there is enough variability with the kart customization that he'll actually be playable online.

Mario Kart Wii became a broken mess every time you saw a Funky Kong on a bike.

I have had my ass handed to me everytime by anybody driving the little aeroplane. Maybe far too early to tell, but it appears popular.

Also, I suck a bit and I haven't unlocked the vehicle yet, but people that win a lot seem to prefer it so far.

also, what's the correct way to play single player? 50cc -> 100cc -> 150cc ?

there is rewards for every level I think and I don't think I'll be able to go back to playing 50 fter playing 150, because it's ludicrously slow.

The manual says, you also exchange communities with people you meet via street pass. And you can't toggle which information you want to share and which not (at least I didn't find such option).

Ahh. That's a pain. You should at least be able to toggle it off.

Sinthetic

Just played through the Mushroom Cup on 50cc. Feels really nice, lovely 3D, adds to the visuals rather than takes away.

Shy Guy Bazaar is a beautiful track, very nice lighting and fun design.

Feels a little slow, but that's to be expected with 50cc.

Not happy about there being only 1 profile, I know my girlfriend would have wanted her own individual save file.

GeekyDad

Not happy about there being only 1 profile, I know my girlfriend would have wanted her own individual save file.

Yeah, that kinda sucks. Didn't MKWii give ya', like, three or four licenses? With an SD slot on the system, kinda no real excuse for just a single save file.

Can anyone explain exactly how ghosts work for time trial?
I've read a few worrying impressions that say it doesn't have the same system from the Wii version where you could pick ghosts to download yourself, whether they belong to you your friends or pick ones that have times similar to your current best.
It'll be disappointing if that's just been replaced with SpotPass downloads you have no control over and StreetPass.

Had a chance to play it now. No ghost sharing directly with friends, seems like the only ones you'll be seeing are the staff ghosts, StreetPass ghosts and the twenty they'll supposedly send out by SpotPass each day.
Great job, Nintendo. You've taken what was by far the best time trial system for any racing game and messed it up.

Zafir

Received my copy today from Asda, wasn't expecting it to come so early considering I only paid £23. Pretty nice so far, though for some odd reason after my first race it came up with an error saying I removed the cartridge... I guess I accidentally knocked it or something?

Sinthetic

Yeah, that kinda sucks. Didn't MKWii give ya', like, three or four licenses? With an SD slot on the system, kinda no real excuse for just a single save file.

Yep mate, 4 if I remember right. There's no reason not to have at least 2 is there? Very silly.

At least I can blame her if I lose online (even though she's probably better than me haha!).

I have had my ass handed to me everytime by anybody driving the little aeroplane. Maybe far too early to tell, but it appears popular.

Also, I suck a bit and I haven't unlocked the vehicle yet, but people that win a lot seem to prefer it so far.

there is rewards for every level I think and I don't think I'll be able to go back to playing 50 fter playing 150, because it's ludicrously slow.

that's standard yes. the ccs don't just change cart speed, but each subsequent cc has harder AI to race against too.

I've usually done it that way, playing 50 > 100 >150 and staying at 150, but different games have had different modes available at the beginning, and playing 50cc has rarely been absolutely necessary. My first goal when getting the game is going to be unlocking Shy Guy, so I'll just go for the shortest path and finish the rest at some other point. I've never really had a problem going back to 50cc, though it does feel incredibly slow.

A list of unlockables and character modifiers (weight/speed/off-road/acceleration/handling) are at the Mario Kart Wiki. If your primary goal is unlocking characters,
doing all the cups at 150cc is the way to go.
The Wiki also has a list of coin unlockables.

Razorskin

----- ------
Damn, I need to get this game and SML3D, haven't touched my 3DS since beating Zelda and Metroid in September. Too many good games.

Edit: What is the game's FPS like with either 3D on or off?

Sinthetic

Game is SO GOOD. Melody Motorway is such a stunning little track. So clever and colourful.

I really like the inclusion of coins, finding the right angle to collect them is going to become an obsession, I also really like that you collect them for not just speed, but to unlock items.

Only downsides so far, apart from the lack of profiles are: Hands hurt after a while, the 3DS isn't very comfortable in my opinion, hopefully the Circle Pad Pro will change that.

I am also disappointed there are no tracked times in Grand Prix mode, it's a little nitpick, but still, I want to know my times (not just in time trial).

The AI and weapons seem to be very similar to MK Wii, you will get your ass shelled time and again if you are in front, sods law I guess.

I am all for the dynamics the glider brings, it really adds fun to how you tackle a track, making something like driving through the mud in the Luigi's Mansion course (which is pretty annoying) into something really exhilerating (flying over the mud and trying to avoid the sneaky haunted trees haha).

Did I say game is SO GOOD yet? I think I did get that somewhere in the post.

hatchx

Banned
Game is SO GOOD. Melody Motorway is such a stunning little track. So clever and colourful.

I really like the inclusion of coins, finding the right angle to collect them is going to become an obsession, I also really like that you collect them for not just speed, but to unlock items.

Only downsides so far, apart from the lack of profiles are: Hands hurt after a while, the 3DS isn't very comfortable in my opinion, hopefully the Circle Pad Pro will change that.

I am also disappointed there are no tracked times in Grand Prix mode, it's a little nitpick, but still, I want to know my times (not just in time trial).

The AI and weapons seem to be very similar to MK Wii, you will get your ass shelled time and again if you are in front, sods law I guess.

I am all for the dynamics the glider brings, it really adds fun to how you tackle a track, making something like driving through the mud in the Luigi's Mansion course (which is pretty annoying) into something really exhilerating (flying over the mud and trying to avoid the sneaky haunted trees haha).

Did I say game is SO GOOD yet? I think I did get that somewhere in the post.

My hand cramps up too (I have big hands). I sometimes play with the 3DS attached to the charger dock, it gives me something to hold.

zoukka

lol I told to myself that I wouldn't buy 3DS nor Vita anytime soon, but the new price in amazon just made it an impulse purchase :b

Ordered Mario Kart as well so next week I can hop in.

60 and 60 :)

I've been playing loads of MKDS over the past several weeks, so it will be quite the jarring transition. I'm sure I'll manage, though. ;)

Question for the folks playing online: other than Fox's one race with some stuttering, has everything been really smooth? No slowdown, no disappearing players, no getting hit by phantom items, none of that?

Berordn

Are the L and R buttons still usable? Because I might try it.

Game seems to recommend it, the demo had an L icon over the item roulette. I didn't have any trouble playing, but I only got to play at the demo station and that added bulk actually makes it a bit more comfortable.

Pretty sure MKDS also runs at 60fps. (it's been a while since I played it)

Really? I always noticed slowdowns and fewer frames, but maybe I'm just being dumb. Regardless, it's nice that they managed to keep the frame rate high for online play.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
lol I told to myself that I wouldn't buy 3DS nor Vita anytime soon, but the new price in amazon just made it an impulse purchase :b

Ordered Mario Kart as well so next week I can hop in.
Lots of gaffers have jumped in these last few days :) All it took was great games (price cut came second). Some good thoughts for analysts.

Clott

The mom and pop store I go to will have it on Sunday, I can't wait. I completely forgot that this was coming out.

Sinthetic

Oh man, nothing could wipe that smile on my face as I played Wario's Galleon. Pure class.

Peach and I are tearing the place up.

Sinthetic

I spoke too soon, Koopopolis (Koopa City) is the most stunning track so far.

Mark my words, the entire Star Cup is in the top tier of best MK Cups of all time, especially the ending of the final track.

P.S - I'm using Koopopolis (the French name for it) because it is clearly the best name for any track around.

GeekyDad

Was just watching the GS video review. You need codes to enter a community room? No matter how inviting the water looks, Nintendo always have to pee in the pool somehow.

Ydahs

Was just watching the GS video review. You need codes to enter a community room? No matter how inviting the water looks, Nintendo always have to pee in the pool somehow.

"You need to enter an IP Address to join a server? What is this shit?"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
only had a quick blast - 150cc doesn't feel too fast :/

Game looks fab and i'm sure it's a lot of fun, but tonight is done :)

Zafir

...you mean Koopopolis. Maybe if we pretend the other name doesn't exist, Nintendo will revive it for Mario Kart U!
Haha, fair enough. It is indeed a better name for it.

I wonder why each version seems to have a different name for it? I mean in the US version it's apparently called Neo Bowser City...

Punisher

Neo Member
Getting the game tomorrow, saw someone playing it today. Looked way better than I imagined. And smooth.

Can't wait.

Got the game today! I am surprised to get it the day before.
Been reading for exams so it was a nice surprise to get home to. I havent gotten to play it yet, but will do so soon!

DarkWish

Someone mentioned earlier in this topic about a demo at Best Buy, so I went over there and sure enough, there's a demo. Here's a video of two out of the three tracks from the demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G9iJ2h_I9g

The demo had three tracks: Rock Rock Mountain, Cheep Cheep Lagoon, and Shy Guy Bazaar. Also, as you can see in the video, my one-handed Super Mario 3D Land skills didn't fully translate over to Mario Kart 7 unfortunately lol.

Sinthetic

Haha, fair enough. It is indeed a better name for it.

I wonder why each version seems to have a different name for it? I mean in the US version it's apparently called Neo Bowser City...

It's to spark a huge debate over which of the 3 names to call each track.

So we end up with Japanese track 1, French track 2, English track 3 and Frenglishanese track 4. I'm confused after writing that.

blurrygil

Just arrived and with a mug :)
01122011041.jpg

Nice. We have thoose exact mugs in our company store...!! :-D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It took me 10 seconds to enter the neogaf code and now I can compete with all members of this board for years. Is it that bad, really?

Been playing a bit with my sister. The game sharing options are amazing! I am so surprised that you can play all cups with someone who doesnt own the game, along with the other features from the DS games. I am not amazed by the new tracks yet, but I think they did a good job with reworking the classic tracks and I like the gliding mechanics. I am sure I will have a lot more fun when I start playing on hard mode, but for completion sake I play first on easy. The 3d is also very comfortable and very smooth (its a compliment as i dont advocate 3d). I feel like it is faster to recover from blueshells in this game than in the others (or it is my imagination).

My friend code is: 2062-9139-2362

PM if you add me so I can add you back. Very eager to play with someone!

Top Bottom