• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 Review Thread: First Reviews In

Gravijah

I do normally have a big enough lead but the Wii game's broken single-player mode often destroy that on the last-lap, so it IS possible.

For the good MK games, I guess you're right. ;P

without snaking, i'd say the single player in mkw is way easier than mkds.

Vagabundo

Lack of customisation :(

It's not like Nintendo can't do it, it's because they won't: sacrificed on the alter of accessibility.

What would be cool is if they released some free DLC that included some great customisation and maybe Super Mario Kart rules and battle modes.

I don't have the link but that's what they said.

They of course could back away from it but they said they wouldn't be charging for first party DLC as that's the last thing consumers want or somethng to that effect.

Not to my recollection:

Iwata said:
I have been discussing this topic with Mr. Miyamoto for a fairly long time. For example, let's say there is an occasion where a user says, "I'm done playing this game but I would play it more if there were additional stages," and we were able to focus the right amount of energy to develop additional stages and that way, by distributing the additional stages, we were able to extend the life-span of the game or stimulate social topics, or increase sales. Then, we would discuss whether we could sell the add-on content at a price where both Nintendo and consumers would be satisfied. For example, in the future, I think it will be all right to have a situation where we prepare an additional stage and say to consumers, "Can you pay some more to play this?"

Source

Not to my recollection:

Source

Yeah, I found my source and it only talks about not charging for something that is already in the game like I guess some companies have.

Reggie talks about how games should be the complete experience for the consumer and that no one should be forced to pay for DLC or something.

I guess people ran with and misconstrued that.

I'd still pay for new courses though at a reasonable price.

There's still hope that Waluigi is in the game, just waiting to be set FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

look here's how Mario Kart works, and WHY it's popular despite the rubber banding and the way the items are handed out.

1: the best player will GENERALLY win.
2: but any player CAN win.

the end.

that's why people love it at parties. if you play a series of matches you'll know who is the best, but yeah, anyone can get lucky with the right items and steal one.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
What exactly makes this blue shell different than the one on MK wii?

It glides along the track so it has a chance of hitting racers between the person who used it and the person in 1st place.

So eveyone can get hit instead of just the guy in first.

It glides along the track so it has a chance of hitting racers between the person who used it and the person in 1st place.

So it's like MK64 only it explodes at the end? Does it target everyone or just go along the track straight and if you're not looking you get hit?

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Which is a great balance IMO. It worked well in super circuit.

VariantX

Awesome, the MK64 ones were totally avoidable if you had decent reflexes.

M74

I don't have the link but that's what they said.

They of course could back away from it but they said they wouldn't be charging for first party DLC as that's the last thing consumers want or somethng to that effect.

From various interviews it seems Nintendo's position on DLC, whether 1st or 3rd party, is that they still want users to feel like they are purchasing a complete product out of the box, but that DLC of substance (i.e., not costume packs) would be allowable.

I don't get how anyone could be against DLC that is actually content developed after the completion of a game, as a means to expand the experience. Especially with games like Mario Kart you are getting tremendous value. 32 tracks, with 16 brand new courses and 16 Retro courses, endless MP potential and daily ghost challenges via Spot Pass.

If they want to release a new Cup half a year later, then I would be completely ok with paying a reasonable amount of money for it. 5 Bucks for a cup or even 20 to 30 for a cup selection (16 to 32 courses). Hell why not include some Battle stages in there as well. Block Fort or new ones are allways welcome.

I agree that there is the very real and often displayed slippery slope to cut out features and gameplay from the main game production to artificially increase the content of a game that should've been on the card/disc to begin with (I'm looking at you BF3)
But that argument really doesn't come into play with a Mario Kart title.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm glad it's back to the old blue shell, I always hated the flying one. I think I'm finally going to crack on a 3DS for christmas, my dog was a puppy at the time of Mario Kart DS and actually ate my cart so I've been needing a new handheld version.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
So it's like MK64 only it explodes at the end? Does it target everyone or just go along the track straight and if you're not looking you get hit?

Yea, it doesn't target everyone but follows a path to 1st place. If you're in the way, you get hit.

btw, it slowly ascends as it gets closer to 1st place before coming down for an explosion.
http://youtu.be/UZYPL03fewg (demonstrated somewhere in this 33 minute clip)

Socreges

Banned
it's a little frustrating, I admit. For the life of me, I can put as much detail into a post as I want, and as long as the next person responds with a simple one liner joke dismissing it then the problem shifts to the person who actually put effort into his post. Why is he, like, so angry and overreacting and oh god all those words!

I know it wasn't completely serious, but it is a pet peeve.
BrLro.jpg

FFS of all the people to be complaining

Mario Kart is one Nintendo series that I never got into... I feel like I'm missing out, but I never play multiplayer and I imagine online would be laggy due to geography. So I'll probably skip this one too :(

Amir0x

Banned
BrLro.jpg

FFS of all the people to be complaining

It's the way it has always been: I'd write huge screeds detailing exactly the problems I have, someone would respond "oh LOL bitch bitch look it's an Amir0x topic LOL" and then I'd be blamed for derailing the topic.

That you chose to illustrate my point was amazing though.

Amir0x

Banned
Spurious argument, his and yours.

You don't need loads of text to point out blatant irony. I don't care to get into the merits of you being spurned by unfair treatment. I merely wish to laugh at it.

You do, because my argument has always been that many people simply are incapable of formulating actual extended thoughts in defense of their positions and that THIS is what derails the topics, since they would choose instead the lazy way out by making a lame one liner about the topic at hand. You're not refuting the argument, you're merely enhancing it.

Boney

Banned
Mario Kart is one Nintendo series that I never got into... I feel like I'm missing out, but I never play multiplayer and I imagine online would be laggy due to geography. So I'll probably skip this one too :(

I'm from South America and have no problem playing with europe, japan and north america. No reason for it to be laggy on your part, plus single player is still great fun.

edit: it won't matter if your 3ds is american or pal. Plus middle east, it's like in the middle of everything!

Amir0x

Banned
OK, which Handheld driving games have as much customisation as you are demanding for MK(could you even choose what weapons were available in Blur?)?

Just to list another cart game alone, Mod Nation Racers on PSP is way, way more customizable. And this is what I consider a BAD racing game. If a BAD racing game can do it, a GOOD one can too.

Just to list another cart game alone, Mod Nation Racers on PSP is way, way more customizable. And this is what I consider a BAD racing game. If a BAD racing game can do it, a GOOD one can too.

Isn't that game based around customisation(& is it online without a PS3?)?

Either way one example is hardly the same as " Almost all racing games today feature a vast array of customizable online modes, able to be tweaked to the tiniest detail."

Could Nintendo have done more? Obviously ,but they needed to have this release before Christmas & you never know they may be able to add options to this later(they won't, but you never know).

pramath

Banned

But that's a flawed argument to begin with. Customization is the POINT of ModNation Racers, whereas it's just an added perk to Mario Kart 7.

Ghost23

So it said in the Nintendo Power article recently that there are more unlockable characters, but there was some article from a few days ago that said that the 17 characters announced will be the final roster. I feel it's somewhat dumb that Nintendo would announce all this information early if that article was true.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wipeout Pulse is the other good handheld racer featuring weapons, and it has far less online weapon customization than this Mario Kart.

Top Bottom