• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already the best selling game of 2017 on Amazon

Ponn

Banned
That sucks. Amazon has never missed a release date delivery for me, including this game. Make sure to let customer service know, so you can be compensated.

I used to defend them because they weren't letting me down then all of a sudden over the last couple months they have been screwing the pooch. Dimensions, my FFXV (which came out right on my birthday, thanks for ruining my birthday Amazon), Persona 5 the beginning of this month and now MK8. I tried to contact them, they cancelled my Prime membership because they misunderstood my complaining about not getting benefits I was paying for and only refunded me half the sub cost. Amazon is now on my shit list after many good years.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Crazy considering it's full price and not even a new Mario Kart game.
About 75% of GAF who bought it on Wii U said they'd get Deluxe on Switch. Add to these people who skipped Wii U, and you have a big demand in front of the game.

Scrawnton

Nintendo, bring on ALL the Wii U ports. WW, TP, Captain Todd, Bayonetta, W101, TMS#FE. There is a market and this proves it.

Mario Kart didnt sell well on WiiU?

It sold very well, but the hardware greatly held back its true potential.

There was a prevailing narrative shortly before the Switch reveal that MK8 wouldn't see strong numbers on the platform, because if it couldn't make Wii U a success, it would be impossible for it to help Switch. There were a number of users who even argued that it would be in Nintendo's best interest to bundle the game at launch, because it wouldn't be able to sell all that well otherwise.

Obviously these people were crazy then and they look even crazier today. Although software sells hardware, it's possible to have a product that is so undesirable (Wii U) that even a great game like MK8 won't be able to salvage it.

ramparter

Banned
I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will probably prove that the Wii U really was just such an unappealing black hole of a console that wasfundamentally flawed in its concept, so much to the point where nobody but us Nintendo diehards wanted to buy it, even if it had good games on it.
Confidence. Wii U at no point showed it could be saved so people were reluctant to buy it. The exact opposite of Switch, people believe in it and they wpuld buy it now even if they want a game that will be released later.

K' Dash

Nintendo, bring on ALL the Wii U ports. WW, TP, Captain Todd, Bayonetta, W101, TMS#FE. There is a market and this proves it.

XS5LK.gif

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why the hell are PSN cards so popular on Amazon?
PSN is the dominant digit store this gen, they have always some type of sale going on and you can pay your PS+ subscription with them.

So yeah... Nothing weird about it.

I really want to play this. I can't justify a Switch for it but I really want to play it. I've always loved MK and have owned or at least played all the games at some point. I still play the SNES and N64 versions on emus occasionally.

Don't know anyone with a Switch either. Damn it!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

Yup, just port all the Wii U games

I never had Wii U and I will throw down money day and date for all the Wii U goodness.

I really want to play this. I can't justify a Switch for it but I really want to play it. I've always loved MK and have owned or at least played all the games at some point. I still play the SNES and N64 versions on emus occasionally.

Don't know anyone with a Switch either. Damn it!

It depends on who you run with, most of my friends are anime nerds and cosplayers and it seems that I am the only one without a switch.

moggio

Banned
Mario Kart on the Wii U sold, what, like 8 - 10 million units at least.

Obviously it didn't sell the system but it's a game that the majority of people who had the system owned.

As will be the case here.

Alchemy

Confidence. Wii U at no point showed it could be saved so people were reluctant to buy it. The exact opposite of Switch, people believe in it and they wpuld buy it now even if they want a game that will be released later.

I mean it is 100% true that no one really cared that much about the features the Wii U was pushing combined with the price tag it sold at. The Wii U had a fairly decent looking future at launch with a good bit of third party support, certainly not worse looking than the 64/GCN/Wii before it. Yet it sold incredibly poorly even compared to the GCN.

I think a lot of people are really dismissive about how hardware/software features really matter when it comes to selling consoles in the short term compared to games. People actually like what the Switch console offers, which is enough to pick up their interest and actually pay attention to games they might want.

Another way to put it is that people "believe in the Switch" because it isn't a hardware turd no one was asking for.

A number of reasons:

1. PS4 is huge
2. PSN is wonky with debit and credit cards
3. PSN breach of 2011 keeps many from giving Sony their credit info
4. People outside of NA who want to purchase games on the US PSN Store

#3 is the primary reason for me. Amazon already has my credit card info, and I'm far more trusting in their having it than I am any of the game companies.

Top Bottom