• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

J@hranimo

Banned
You need triggers for drifting and items. Besides, why would you want to use triggers, you want to go slow or something?

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, another kart racer, has mappable buttons and triggers. My setup on Steam is ZR for accelerate, ZL for drift, X for brake and A for using items.

You don't need triggers, that's just what we've all been accustomed to.

It's true, we should never expect new games to improve on older ones.

Please, this is a Nintendo game we're talking about. They won't add mappable buttons to Mario Kart! :p

ZeroX03

Banned
While remapping buttons is always cool, this is not a feature to expect in any Mario Kart. They've never done it, so why suddenly expect it now?

This is like the people saying the single player offerings are fine. Just because they've always ignored that area, does that mean it should continue that way? It's fine to ask for more! And honestly it's a reasonable expectation of any other racer. If you're new to the franchise the omission would surprise you. It did me with MK8.

200cc is faster and makes the game more technical, moreso with the new Deluxe drift. I think you missed these updates.

I did miss those updates, but I highly doubt I'd find the game better than Sonic Transformed considering I felt the gap was extreme. Also I believe some items are still unavoidable without one of the counter items?

Fliesen

if the triggers had been analogue, i'd be much more bummed if you couldn't remap them, but since they aren't, i suppose Nintendo's simply opting for relative consistency of button layout on every controller you use. - like the right face button is always accelerate, no matter what input device you use.

Depending on how specific you're looking at it, the Switch allows for at least 2 very different 'controllers' -
Pro Controller / Joycons in Grip / individual Joycons (both)
vs.
Single Joycon held sideways.
(i'd even add the fact that using ZR and ZL in handheld mode feels much less comfortable than when the console is docked, so that's another 'playstyle' that'd ask for a specific config)

I see how that additional layer of "what controller is the player using anyways" might be adding more confusion to remapping individual buttons than if there were only a single type of controller you can use.
Like - i don't think anyone would prefer to accelerate with the Joycon's ZR, right?

But of course, i'm not arguing that they shouldn't just be adding remappable buttons. I feel like i just see where they're coming from.

angelic

Banned
Why am I so hyped for a port of a game I've already played over 100h of?

Lets see if I can help:

full price for 3 year old game

60fps bug was only in single player, which is rubbish anyway (cheating AI, losing your 3 star run on the last lap of track 4)

still no remappable controls, accelerate on A in 2017 is laughable

online will be a mess especially once the phone app comes in

game is a lottery between good players

2 items mess the balance too much, 200cc mode messes up every single corner in the game

oti

Banned
Cause that battle mode in MK8 Vanilla was a drag whew!

I never really cared about that mode anyway. It's just the perfect combination of instant-on mobile Switch gaming with the inherent multiplayer nature fo that system that makes me so excited about this. We've played over 10h of the Puyo Puyo Tetris so far as well.

Hyped.

Taking all my willpower to stop myself from canning my digital preorder in lieu of getting this physically. My current justification is that I have a steam library of games which aren't all lined up on the shelves and that doesn't bother me in the slightest, so I shouldn't care about a game that I'll always want to have around to play at a moment's notice.

Wish Amazon UK would send mine early :v

On a plus side, it looks as if they have sold out!

I spoke to them yesterday just playing it coy about their stock issue and wondering if they'd send it early but they said all the pre-orders they had early (January here) would be sent out on the 27th ready for launch.

200cc is faster and makes the game more technical, moreso with the new Deluxe drift. I think you missed these updates.

3rd mini-turbo level is barely going to be used, especially in 200cc.

I remember Sonic Transformed allowed you to perform multiple tricks in the air, and fail a trick if done too close to the ground. You could also change the side towards which you are drifting while keeping the turbo charge, which isn't possible in Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe). Additionally, different types of turbos could stack, while in MK8 the strongest one always overrides the rest.

I may forget a few other things, but overall Sonic Transformed is indeed more technical than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

SuperSah

Banned
I spoke to them yesterday just playing it coy about their stock issue and wondering if they'd send it early but they said all the pre-orders they had early (January here) would be sent out on the 27th ready for launch.

Yeah I preordered right off the bat and my date is set for Friday. Glad to see the demand is high!

13ruce

Banned
:D just got a notice Mario Kart 8 will be delivered tommorow.

I can't wait! 1 day early:)

Is there gonna be a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe OT by the way?

psychotron

So to get this digitally just wait until Friday and buy it right on my Switch? There's no earlier way to buy it digitally through Nintendo right?

The older I have gotten, the more I enjoy games that are mechanically superb, but can be played casually. Rocket League has stolen my heart, and now MK8D will steal the left-overs. Can't wait to give Rocket League a long-deserved break and dive into Mario Kart come Friday!

SeanR1221

So I have 4 friends coming over Friday to play. If one of them brings his switch with Mario Kart, we can do 4 on the tv and one on my friend's Switch, right?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So I have 4 friends coming over Friday to play. If one of them brings his switch with Mario Kart, we can do 4 on the tv and one on my friend's Switch, right?
Unless you yourself have switch your going to need at least 2 more controllers/ joycons

Also you need the stand for tv out.

No. You can only play with 4 on one Switch. When online or connected to 2 or more Switches, you can only play with a max of 2 players per console.

Nah, probably not. Demand likely isn't high enough.

Whaaaaat

I'm super interested. New OT for the new community it's going to create, I say. There will be plenty of posters (I'm guessing by reading responses in MK8DX threads) who never got in on it the first time around.

Anyway I've got probably ~500+ hours in MK8 (not exaggerating), and I'm ready to put just as much into this game.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
:D just got a notice Mario Kart 8 will be delivered tommorow.

I can't wait! 1 day early:)

Is there gonna be a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe OT by the way?

Nah, probably not. Demand likely isn't high enough.

Whaaaaat

I'm super interested. New OT for the new community it's going to create, I say. There will be plenty of posters (I'm guessing by reading responses in MK8DX threads) who never got in on it the first time around.

Anyway I've got probably ~500+ hours in MK8 (not exaggerating), and I'm ready to put just as much into this game.

There will be an OT. Roo is making it.

3rd mini-turbo level is barely going to be used, especially in 200cc.

I remember Sonic Transformed allowed you to perform multiple tricks in the air, and fail a trick if done too close to the ground. You could also change the side towards which you are drifting while keeping the turbo charge, which isn't possible in Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe). Additionally, different types of turbos could stack, while in MK8 the strongest one always overrides the rest.

I may forget a few other things, but overall Sonic Transformed is indeed more technical than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

200x200px-ZC-6dcdf616_michael.gif

Raitaro

Lets see if I can help:

full price for 3 year old game

60fps bug was only in single player, which is rubbish anyway (cheating AI, losing your 3 star run on the last lap of track 4)

still no remappable controls, accelerate on A in 2017 is laughable

online will be a mess especially once the phone app comes in

game is a lottery between good players

2 items mess the balance too much, 200cc mode messes up every single corner in the game

I'll add:

still no proper award ceremonies with the big fish after winning a cup

no real (offline) single player incentives to keep playing beyond racing / battling the cpu

many of the tracks are still too wide / big (sometimes resulting in the impression that the racers are tiny, just look at the size of the NPC's in general, or specifically at those blue vending machines in the new Splatoon battle map)

too many babies and clone characters

no Samus (or Metroid track) or Captain Falcon

(I'm of course only being half-serious with some of these but to be honest I have never been able to share in the near universal praise that others have showered this installment with while heralding it as the best in the series. I'll still get the game though, don't get me wrong, as I do like many aspects of it and need more things to play on my Switch. That said, there is always room for imrovement.)

Ninja Dom

Anyone tried playing it online on the go using a mobile hotspot yet? Puyo Puyo Tetris has me worried for us NAT D'ers.

What happened with Puyo Puyo Tetris?

I don't have that game but I did use my phone to hotspot me for the Splatoon 2 trial. It took a long time just connecting my Switch to my iPhone but once it was connected I managed to play just fine.

Minnow

I did miss those updates, but I highly doubt I'd find the game better than Sonic Transformed considering I felt the gap was extreme. Also I believe some items are still unavoidable without one of the counter items?

This is probably not what you meant but it is possible to avoid red shells by tricking them into running into obstacles (like zig zagging around a tree).

Nesther

What happened with Puyo Puyo Tetris?

I don't have that game but I did use my phone to hotspot me for the Splatoon 2 trial. It took a long time just connecting my Switch to my iPhone but once it was connected I managed to play just fine.

I keep getting an error, notifying me that I'm unable to connect to the other console.

I know it's not expected but I would REALLY be okay with MK8DX continuing to get support at the cost of a potential MK9 coming further down the line. I can't think of much I want them to add besides more content at this point. I guess a mission mode a la MKDS would be cool.

sphinx

the piano man
let's suppose nintendo chooses a point with lots of traffic for marketing and advertising purposes, let's say an Airport where people have layovers and get bored.

could nintendo for example put a "meeting point" where there's a huge screen, a switch docked and have people who own a switch play and or compete against each other?

can we use a 2nd switch tablet as a controller to play on a primary (docked) switch console if we bring it over?

(sorry if this is obvious, I am not very well informed)

Hasney

I know it's not expected but I would REALLY be okay with MK8DX continuing to get support at the cost of a potential MK9 coming further down the line. I can't think of much I want them to add besides more content at this point. I guess a mission mode a la MKDS would be cool.

Retro cups including every previous track ever and just make it the Mario Kart pack to own and I probably wouldn't even need a 9.

Lynd7

There's probably new DLC for Deluxe in the future right? Because there is no reason for Block Fort not to be in the game.

I feel they can't really do DLC for Deluxe, it would look really bad considering they didn't add a ton extra in this besides battle mode. Yeah, battle mode DLC, maybe.. But, I actually kinda doubt it.

let's suppose nintendo chooses a point with lots of traffic for marketing and advertising purposes, let's say an Airport where people have layovers and get bored.

could nintendo for example put a "meeting point" where there's a huge screen, a switch docked and have people who own a switch play and or compete against each other?

can we use a 2nd switch tablet as a controller to play on a primary (docked) switch console if we bring it over?

(sorry if this is obvious, I am not very well informed)

You could connect all the Switches together through wireless but the undocked consoles wouldn't share the screen with the docked console.

Top Bottom