• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Majine

Banned
Retro cups including every previous track ever and just make it the Mario Kart pack to own and I probably wouldn't even need a 9.
Nintendo probably wants a MK9 eventually. They are not commiting to the whole "games as services" thinking just yet.

Xdrive05

Okay, Kart-GAF, my four-year-old and I are ALL in at launch and I need muh infos:

1) Is there any advantage to buying a physical copy of this vs. digital? Other than the joys of game card management?

2) My kid really wants those plastic steering wheels. Where/how is the best way to get those? And do they bundle them with the game anywhere?

3) If bought digitally, can I re-download it as much as I want? (In case I need to delete it later for space reasons)

4) If physical is preferable, is it too late to preorder on Amazon Prime for preorder savings, and still get it on launch day?

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Okay, Kart-GAF, my four-year-old and I are ALL in at launch and I need muh infos:

1) Is there any advantage to buying a physical copy of this vs. digital? Other than the joys of game card management?

You can resell it in 4 years for $50. Maybe not that generous but close enough. Not sure about bundles but Amazon have the wheels readily available. Or at least Amazon Uk does.

Experien

2) My kid really wants those plastic steering wheels. Where/how is the best way to get those? And do they bundle them with the game anywhere?

3) If bought digitally, can I re-download it as much as I want? (In case I need to delete it later for space reasons)

4) If physical is preferable, is it too late to preorder on Amazon Prime for preorder savings, and still get it on launch day?

1. Little to no difference in performance?

2. No bundles unless you are in Russia as far as I am aware.

3. Download, delete, and download all you want!

4. Game isn't released, pre-order price is still in effect. Though launch day is not guaranteed. You will have to check with Amazon in relation to your location. If you are close to a distributor, you may be in luck! But I would make the purchase quick if going physical to be safe. Usually it is a two-day buffer for that but it is their discretion so could be three days.

Also, sometimes their pre-order price is good day of release as well but obviously not shipping duration.

let's suppose nintendo chooses a point with lots of traffic for marketing and advertising purposes, let's say an Airport where people have layovers and get bored.

could nintendo for example put a "meeting point" where there's a huge screen, a switch docked and have people who own a switch play and or compete against each other?

can we use a 2nd switch tablet as a controller to play on a primary (docked) switch console if we bring it over?

(sorry if this is obvious, I am not very well informed)

Switches aren't like Apple AirPlay where one takes over the other's screen. If there was a Switch docked at an airport on a TV, only players on that Switch would be shown on that TV. You could still bring your switch over to connect to it but your screen wouldn't be displayed on the TV though you are still racing with them.

Xdrive05

Thanks for answers! I preordered physical on Amazon + a popular driving wheel set on there (the Qun Feng). I have a distribution center in my city, so chances should be good of a Friday delivery for all of it.

My kid has a Mario Kart 7 obsession, so this will be an amazing upgrade for him. (And we can finally unhook the Wii, yay!) :)

Nintendo probably wants a MK9 eventually. They are not commiting to the whole "games as services" thinking just yet.

I don't quite want MK as a service I don't think, but I do think maybe a DLC pack the size of the one on Wii U would be nice if it's priced the same way. Don't know how easy it would be to do though.

Majine

Banned
I don't quite want MK as a service I don't think, but I do think maybe a DLC pack the size of the one on Wii U would be nice if it's priced the same way. Don't know how easy it would be to do though.
From Nintendos perspective, I imagine they are thinking "Sure, we could make money making more DLC but are we pulling the rug from our feets when MK9 rolls around with comparably sparse amount of tracks?"

I don't think they see MK8DX as the future of Mariokart.

From Nintendos perspective, I imagine they are thinking "Sure, we could make money making more DLC but are we pulling the rug from our feets when MK9 rolls around with comparably sparse amount of tracks?"

I don't think they see MK8DX as the future of Mariokart.

Right. Like I said, I don't really expect it, but I wouldn't complain if it happened. This iteration looks good, plays good, and is basically everything I would want from MK in terms of base gameplay.

It's also interesting to consider what the standard package will be going forward for new MK games. MK8DX is launching with six new and retro cups, plus the battle stages. Will MK9 possibly have the same number at launch? Or will they start with four of each cup and do more DLC?

In any case, I really think the release of 8DX raises the bar for future MK releases out of the gate. Which is a good thing for me because I love me some MK, but I suppose it makes the games more difficult to develop if the expectation for new content is so high with successive entries.

Xdrive05

But I'm wondering what Mario Kart 9 could even be at this point, compared to Mario Kart 8D. I don't see how it can be a leap in processing tech, if it's coming to the Switch (and of course it would be, unless it's like 7 years off still). So anything new they bring out will seem anemic compared to the existing 8D package.

I'm thinking MK9 will be on the Switch as a "game as a service" offering. You know, Mario Kart Live, or Mario Kart World Tour, or called something like that. Probably be a slightly modified MK8D engine, but feature weekly tracks and challenges for a small subscription fee. Or maybe even offer it for "free" as an incentive for their online subscription. That way they'll have a truly distinct offering from 8D, but still on Switch.

qko

I am baffled at how this game is now a mid 90s game on metacrtic vs the high 80 scores the Wii U version received.

I understand scoring a video game is not a precise science, but either battle mode truly makes that much of a difference, or the cynic in me questions the critical subjectivity of releasing a(ny) game on the Wii U would come at the price of lower critical reception.

jonno394

But I'm wondering what Mario Kart 9 could even be at this point, compared to Mario Kart 8D. I don't see how it can be a leap in processing tech, if it's coming to the Switch (and of course it would be, unless it's like 7 years off still). So anything new they bring out will seem anemic compared to the existing 8D package.

I'm thinking MK9 will be on the Switch as a "game as a service" offering. You know, Mario Kart Live, or Mario Kart World Tour, or called something like that. Probably be a slightly modified MK8D engine, but feature weekly tracks and challenges for a small subscription fee. Or maybe even offer it for "free" as an incentive for their online subscription. That way they'll have a truly distinct offering from 8D, but still on Switch.

If they're going to do an MK9 on Switch, then the only way to differentiate it from MK8D (imo) is to create an awesome single player&co-op world tour/adventure mode. Gives people the incentive to buy a new MK, gives a new co-op multiplayer mode, add loads of new characters, karts and tracks.

Kinsei

Banned

So basically the tournament mode from MKWii?

I really miss the Mario Galaxy battle arena that was only available for a limited time as part of a boss battle.

Wil348

My copy dispatched this morning, so it should be tomorrow that it arrives if Amazon France's track record is anything to go by. Also picked up a Pro controller in preparation because playing with the joy con grip in Fast RMX was difficult.

phanphare

Banned
I am baffled at how this game is now a mid 90s game on metacrtic vs the high 80 scores the Wii U version received.

I understand scoring a video game is not a precise science, but either battle mode truly makes that much of a difference, or the cynic in me questions the critical subjectivity of releasing a(ny) game on the Wii U would come at the price of lower critical reception.

it also comes with all the DLC which was not available when the initial reviews for the Wii U version were done so those high 80 scores weren't accounting for stuff like Link as a racer, a Zelda track, two F-Zero tracks, an Animal Crossing track, an Excitebike track, etc. the DLC was really good.

Fliesen

don't forget that the Wii was very similar to the Gamecube in hardware power (cmiiw) - there was no huge technological leap apart from "I AM USING MOTION CONTROLS".

Nintendo consoles are still, to a not unsignificant degree, kids consoles. You need distinct physical releases for your mainline game so there's something you can wrap up for their birthday or put underneath the Christmas tree.

MK9 will simply have a whole new gimmick - maybe your Kart will turn into a submarine, or a speedboat ... it's not like they couldn't evolve the game in any meaningful game anymore.

MK8D as opposed to MK8:
* runs at a higher resolution
* is also a portable game (it's not just the re-release of MK8 (Wii U), but also the sequel to MK7 (3DS)
* has way more content (more courses as well as an all new multiplayer mode)

How is it that hard to grasp that all of these features result in the game being scored higher than the original.
It's the best arcade racer on the market, it's better than the previous 'best arcade racer' - which was Mario Kart 8.

You could always read those reviews instead of getting mad at the scores and see that it's definitely the former. After years of solid battle modes (for the most part), seeing how 8 handled them was bizarre.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I don't think they'll bother this gen if MK8D succeeds. Especially so if ARMS succeeds. Frankly Nintendo have been resting on their laurels in terms of relying on their mainstay franchises for a long time now (largely because they had both a handheld and console thus needed new entries of their popular franchises for both).

They're essentially the Disney of video games, but the difference is Disney wacks out new IP's yearly with major investments even if they don't all work out to degree of Frozen most are reasonably successful. That's what Nintendo should be doing. They have the talent for creating popular family friendly and merchandisable IP's they should be creating more of those, Splatoon shows they can do it. Which is why I think MK9 on the switch is a bit pointless. Most of their games are once per gen anyway use this opportunity to experiment with their dev teams.

I'm positive Nintendo can continue to evolve the gameplay of MK, I'm just not coming up with anything right now haha

So I'm positive there's room for a MK9 to expand upon the series gameplay in a meaningful way. I just think for now, it would be totally okay to release just a bit more content for 8DX. That will keep the title relevant and extend its legs even farther, I think. Then, once they've expanded it a bit more, they can turn their sights toward a new MK (or even a new IP actually since ARMS is from the same folks and looks amazing).

Xdrive05

What is the preferred steering wheel accessory out there? My 3 1/2 year old will have a much better chance with one of those. Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y44ZD72/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or something else?

Mine just turned 4 and those the ones I'm trying, just based on reviews really, and how it looks with the grip parts. It may be a month or two before we get a consensus on which ones are best. Early adoptin', friend. :)

jts

...hate me...
All these sold out stores. I'm glad the eShop doesn't sell out :p

Under/over 3 months to overtake Zelda and become the top sold game on Switch?

Might get this because a friend is visiting from out of town this weekend.

-If I only own the Switch and a physical copy of Zelda, does my system have enough memory to download MK8D?
-Is there a preload for the game?
-If I use the pro controller, can my friend use both joycons&joycon grip as his controller?

jts

...hate me...
It'll become the best selling Switch game by the end of May.
That'll be awesome. Dat online community.

-If I only own the Switch and a physical copy of Zelda, does my system have enough memory to download MK8D?
-If I use the pro controller, can my friend use both joycons&joycon grip as his controller?
-Yes
-No
-Yes (just not in wireless LAN parties)

Yes.
No.
If it's just the two of you, yes. If you are both playing online, no.
Edit: It's actually just if you connected to other Switches, not online.

Unicorn

Well it also ships with 16 additional tracks that weren't there at release

Firebrand

What is the preferred steering wheel accessory out there? My 3 1/2 year old will have a much better chance with one of those. Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y44ZD72/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or something else?

My first instinct is to go with the official ones, they're not many dollars more. However, I saw one video reviewer complain about the noise and travel time of the triggers, he did fix it by simply putting furniture pads on the inside. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yms08RGtqCI

Mario Kart is best as a local multiplayer game and the Switch is a much better local multiplayer console. I don't know if that's something all the reviews have recognised and scored for but for me it would justify a better score.

Surely all they would have to do if they want another Mario Kart on Switch is to do Double Dash 2 or something. Basically Double Dash with all the other additions that have happened since then (DD was the last one I played). Throw in one or two new things, bit of a single player "story mode", done.

GokouD

Surely all they would have to do if they want another Mario Kart on Switch is to do Double Dash 2 or something. Basically Double Dash with all the other additions that have happened since then (DD was the last one I played). Throw in one or two new things, bit of a single player "story mode", done.

God no, Double Dash belongs in the trash can of history.

I wish Nintendo was more clear about on when they release games on the eshop. I want to get this game digitally in hope that it is out before 9am est. I want to play this game with my students once our long FSA testing block is over. I can't download the game during work hours because my school's wifi is garbage and all the needed ports are blocked. -_-

Now there's a depressing thought.

Kurt

I'm not hoping on Double Dash, it's even worse than the Wii one.
For course : The should add the airship level & ghost mansion from ds.
For battle : include block level for battle mode including turning into a bomb when you are out.

Extra but optional :
Include missions like ds had with some improvements.

joker3782

Neo Member
For anyone that ordered from TheGameCollection, have you got an email of the order being despatched? Just wondering whether me pre ordering from them earlier this week means I may not get it on launch day.

Bluth54

I would like to see them go full Smash Bros with lots of different IP plus a more robust single player mode.

Macka

* is also a portable game (it's not just the re-release of MK8 (Wii U), but also the sequel to MK7 (3DS)
I agree with your other points, but the portability aspect should not be a factor. I don't think that would or should impact the score at all.

That is a feature of the system, not of the game.

Noctilum

Mine has shipped from Amazon, in Phoenix, and I live in AZ so I am hoping I'll get it a day early though it still says arriving the 28th.

Top Bottom