• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Rodin

Surely all they would have to do if they want another Mario Kart on Switch is to do Double Dash 2 or something. Basically Double Dash with all the other additions that have happened since then (DD was the last one I played). Throw in one or two new things, bit of a single player "story mode", done.
No thanks, there's no need to double down on the worst Mario Kart ever.

I love playing this game on switch

The rumble feels awesome and every time I get a coin the controller makes a "sound" and the rumble feels special

phanphare

Banned
I agree with your other points, but the portability aspect should not be a factor. I don't think that would or should impact the score at all.

That is a feature of the system, not of the game.

that's like saying Wii U games shouldn't have scored worse for not implementing the gamepad (Tropical Freeze). it's inevitable either way. if a game is made better because of the hybrid nature of the console it's impossible to negate that from a review.

I am baffled at how this game is now a mid 90s game on metacrtic vs the high 80 scores the Wii U version received.

I understand scoring a video game is not a precise science, but either battle mode truly makes that much of a difference, or the cynic in me questions the critical subjectivity of releasing a(ny) game on the Wii U would come at the price of lower critical reception.
It has a significant amount of extra content and all the UI quality of life improvements that were added to base MK8 over time.

I don't think it's strange at all, it is an even more refined and polished version of an excellent game with extra content (16 race tracks + new battle mode + 6 new characters) to boot.

Ninja Dom

I agree with your other points, but the portability aspect should not be a factor. I don't think that would or should impact the score at all.

That is a feature of the system, not of the game.

You're right but this brings in a new aspect.

I'm looking forward to Tabletop mode at work with other colleagues and their Switch's with Mario Kart 8 DX. This extends the usefulness of the game into areas where you couldn't score the Wii U version. I think it should be taken into consideration.

AdanVC

It makes me happy seeing all of you guys excited for this game/port. Please enjoy the damn game for me since I have to stick with my old Wii U and original MK8 for a while since I still don't have enough moniez to afford a Swtich :'(

Greenymac

Ok guys so I have a question. If playing two player online, do we have to share the big screen or can I use the tv and my son use the handheld? Wanna do some online racing with my son, but hate playing split screen.

Ok guys so I have a question. If playing two player online, do we have to share the big screen or can I use the tv and my son use the handheld? Wanna do some online racing with my son, but hate playing split screen.

With one switch? You'll have to play split screen. In order to play games on your TV, the switch has to be docked.

As soon as the console is connected to the TV, the screen of the console is turned off.

Would have been awesome if that could be made to work, however it does not and it would probably also be asking too much of the hardware.

Greenymac

I figured as much, but was hoping it could be done. Could be a great addition to future iterations of the device. Got my switch and pro controller still sitting in the box waiting on Friday. Can't believe I'm double dipping on mk8. I'm a junkie and need help.

Caponetone

Neo Member
A Double Dash and Mario Kart 8 blend would be nice. Not sure why there's a lot of Double Dash hate, it was the last (console) Mario Kart that actually required skill to drift and I believe Mario Kart 8 fixed a lot of the rubber banding problems. If you're in last you simply just can't get a star or bullet bill and expect to be in first. You might move 2 or 3 spots at most.

J@hranimo

Banned

If only the Wii U could do this too......wait could it?

I know LAN and Local Wireless play are limited to 2 people per Switch. Is online mode still limited to 2 people per console like it was on the Wii U? Was wanting to get an 8 player local game going with friends this weekend, but it looks like those chances are gone since we only have 2 consoles.

Edit:
Just saw a video with the menu. Limited to 2. Gaaaaaahhhhh.

No thanks, there's no need to double down on the worst Mario Kart ever.

Double Dash 2 or bust.

Well no in that case they'd be doubling down on mario kart wii.

I think you mean Mario Kart 7.

That's Super Circuit. Double Dash is one of the best ones.

What I find fascinating with the Mario Kart series is that there doesn't seem to be a universally favourite or least favourite game. While one Mario Kart game might be someone's favourite, for someone else it will be the worst game in the series for them. I think it goes to show how consistent the quality of Mario Kart is.

Experien

I know LAN and Local Wireless play are limited to 2 people per Switch. Is online mode still limited to 2 people per console like it was on the Wii U? Was wanting to get an 8 player local game going with friends this weekend, but it looks like those chances are gone since we only have 2 consoles.

I think why the local LAN is only 2 players per console is because the netcode only allows 2 players per console.

What I find fascinating with the Mario Kart series is that there doesn't seem to be a universally favourite or least favourite game. While one Mario Kart game might be someone's favourite, for someone else it will be the worst game in the series for them. I think it goes to show how consistent the quality of Mario Kart is.

yeah.. I am for one very surprised that Wii gets a lot of hate (i personally love it)

Firebrand

yeah.. I am for one very surprised that Wii gets a lot of hate (i personally love it)

Seems to have had okay tracks at least? The wii ones are some of my favorites in MK7, while the "new" ones for MK7 are mostly bland. Fortunately the ones that were carried over to MK8 were from the 4 or so halfway decent ones.

Fledz

Just ordered on Amazon Prime in London and estimated delivery is 8th of May. Yikes! Somehow I have a feeling it might arrive a bit earlier than that.

I did finally get a pro-controller though so I can play more Zelda when that arrives on Friday.

I figured as much, but was hoping it could be done. Could be a great addition to future iterations of the device. Got my switch and pro controller still sitting in the box waiting on Friday. Can't believe I'm double dipping on mk8. I'm a junkie and need help.
But how? The Switch is the handheld. Once it's out of the dock, it's not connected to the TV.

Maybe if it was a reverse Wii U or something

Kinsei

Banned
Every game other than Double Dash is mechanically boring to me. And it's no different with 8. Play a giant game of Baby Park in both games and tell me which one was more fun.

Baby Park was specifically designed for Double Dash and it shows. The only way it could be that fun again is if they made a Mario Kart with he exact items and physics of Double Dash.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Baby Park was specifically designed for Double Dash and it shows. The only way it could be that fun again is if they made a Mario Kart with he exact items and physics of Double Dash.

I die a little inside everytime Baby Park came up in MK8 and everyone voted for it.

Most boring map by far.

What I find fascinating with the Mario Kart series is that there doesn't seem to be a universally favourite or least favourite game.
Weeeeell, I guess this is anecdotal, but I see hate for the Wii Mario Kart pretty consistently, and hardly anyone claiming it's their favorite one.

I couldn't tell you my opinion on Mario Kart Wii cuz it's the one Mario Kart I haven't played, mostly because Molasses Kart Double Yawn for Gamecube was so dull it turned me off the series for years.

Double Dash is also my least favorite of the 3D Mario Karts (including 64 which I can no longer go back to) and I'm not sure why. I kinda' wish I still had my copy of it so I could do a comparison. I even liked the concept of two player Karts.

Kinsei

Banned
Weeeeell, I guess this is anecdotal, but I see hate for the Wii Mario Kart pretty consistently, and hardly anyone claiming it's their favorite one.

I couldn't tell you my opinion on Mario Kart Wii cuz it's the one Mario Kart I haven't played, mostly because Molasses Kart Double Yawn for Gamecube was so dull it turned me off the series for years.

I think Wii is really good. I liked the controls with the Wii remote, it has quite a few really great tracks (I <3 stuff like Koopa Cape, Maple Treeway, and Rainbow Road), bikes were a ton of fun, and the online was amazing.

Wii's inside drifting bikes alone make it a contender for the best imo.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Nostalgia aside, MK8 is the best game in the series and with the DLC its not even a question. Its not perfect but thats where MK8D comes in to fix Battle Mode and add even more characters and features.

When MK8 was relatively new I had a friend argue with me that Super Mario Kart and MK64 were better. I said no, maybe in the 90s but they've been surpassed post MK8.

Davey Cakes

When MK8 was relatively new I had a friend argue with me that Super Mario Kart and MK64 were better. I said no, maybe in the 90s but they've been surpassed post MK8.
I think SMK and MK64 are just a bit too dated at this point. More so the latter.

Hell, to me, even MK Wii was more fun than those games. But MK8? The track selection alone puts it above most (if not all) of the series. Crazy quality control. MK8DX is going to be the best in the series, no-contest, unless you're too attached to the single player in MKDS. It seems to nail pretty much everything else that makes MK special.

Christ, in the 90s at MetaCritic. I don't find value in numbers, but it's incredible the little tweaks, like a proper Battle Mode, made the experience that much better for most. 8 is my favorite Mario Kart, without question.

Bronetta

Christ, in the 90s at MetaCritic. I don't find value in numbers, but it's incredible the little tweaks, like a proper Battle Mode, made the experience that much better for most. 8 is my favorite Mario Kart, without question.

The biggest thing about MK8 at launch was that the content was a little lacking which brought down scores a bit. The DLC added a lot of content plus Deluxe is adding even more content and features.

Remember at launch it was purely Mario Kart but now its featuring characters and tracks from Zelda, Animal Crossing and Splatoon. Stuff like that is a huge deal.

Top Bottom