• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Robin64

how do I force that? Remove the SD when downloading?

will I lose anything from other saves?

Yeah, just download it without the SD card in. Don't worry about losing anything, just pop the SD back in when you're done and all is well.

Hopefully Nintendo smooth this process a little later.

Caponetone

Neo Member
Oh yeah, Nintendo Bias... but people seem to forget that every Zelda remaster on 3DS and WiiU scored much lower than the original releases even though all of remasters were all better experiences. Windwaker HD fixed a couple huge flaws with the game (sailing speed and triforce hunt). Also WiiU Bayonetta 1 scored lower than the PS3 version...wtf? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe fixed almost all the issues the previous version had with minor enhancements (new characters, double items, resolution, 59fps fix) and includes all the DLC tracks which were highly reviewed on it's merits, it deserves it's high appraisal.

Ninja Dom

Digital version justified! Gonna pull my SD card too so it installs on the system's storage.

4 second difference in getting to the start screen between Switch Digital and Phsyical, edge going to digital.
3 second difference in getting to the start of the race between Switch Digital and Phsyical, edge going to digital.

Also a vast difference between the Wii U and Switch version.

Yup, gonna do this too.

Robin64

Death stare Luigi is not only still in, but Nintendo have embraced it further with the Nintendo UK preorder bonus:

11461194-1184478334903405.jpg

A master race 10 euros more expensive + price of the SD card if you take one + not being able to share it easily (or sell it).
I'll take the 2-4 seconds of loading time and the switching cards.

The "extra content" is really thin. It didn't took them a lot of time to add a few characters, kart parts and a proper battle mode. They can do it because there is almost nothing available on the Switch, because the Switch is out of stock and people buy it and because few people played MK8, but that doesn't make is a good price.

They'll make a huge margin out of this (because there's almost only marketing cost) and sorry to tell you this but some people have the right to question that kind of commercial policy. You fanboys also have the right to defend Nintendo until death, but that's a bit childish and conservative.

So

1. You know the cost of development, somehow
2. The length it took to do that development
3. Their cost of porting the game
4. How long that took to do

Plus, the wii u version is nearly full price to this day. Also, what is this right you're talking about? No one is trying to stop you from discussing it's price. But what they are saying is you probably don't have all the information you need to talk about it as if you know objectively.

You think those eight beautifully crafted battle arenas were done overnight? Not to mention the core of this team is making ARMS, so they were already stretched thin.

Let's not get carried away. These battle stages are nice, but the truth is:

Sweet Sweet Kingdom heavily reuses content from the race track Sweet Sweet Canyon, including the background music which is a slight remix.
Dragon Palace reuses content from Dragon Driftway, including the music.
Urchin Underpass reuses content from Splatoon, including the music.

3DS Wuhu Town is a retro arena.
GCN Luigi's Mansion is a retro arena and reuses assets from Twisted Mansion.
SNES Battle Course 1 is a retro arena and reuses assets from GBA Mario Circuit / SNES Donut Plains 3.

The only two original stages that display truly original work are Battle Stadium & Lunar Colony, even though the former reuses assets from Mario Kart Stadium and the latter from Rainbow Road.

Overall, they probably spent less time creating content on MK8DX than on a single MK8 DLC.

mingo

A master race 10 euros more expensive + price of the SD card if you take one + not being able to share it easily (or sell it).

The "extra content" is really thin. It didn't took them a lot of time to add a few characters, kart parts and a proper battle mode. They can do it because there is almost nothing available on the Switch, because the Switch is out of stock and people buy it and because few people played MK8, but that doesn't make is a good price.

They'll make a huge margin out of this (because there's almost only marketing cost) and sorry to tell you this but some people have the right to question that kind of commercial policy. You fanboys also have the right to defend Nintendo until death, but that's a bit childish and conservative.

Lol "Thin" I suppose if a game like Halo or COD lost its multiplayer mode. That would also be a "Thin" loss....

spock

Picked up some official joy con wheel attachments from Walmart for Friday. Does anyone know if any of the reviews out there cover how well the wheels work?

phanphare

Banned
I actually don't think games should be priced down because they're re releases. People are always complaining about slapping a full price tag on a non-brand new game though, so it's a common complaint. I must admit I thought that extended to reviews but I was wrong.

As for the "anyone but Nintendo" rhetoric, what youve got to understand is that it's not anything against Nintendo. It's against the press. Games like Skyward Sword got "classic level" reviews when they came out, and 3D World is the same. Not that 3D World is a bad game, but generally people look at it in the context of other games and other Mario's and say "not up there with the classics". And yet again top tier reviews. Looking slightly down the scale, Metroid other M a great score of 79. Pikmin 3, great game. One of the best of all time? Scored 87 on mc. That's nearly Horizon level. Maybe it is just that Nintendo makes much better games than every other developer, but it just looks like Nintendo games get scored on a different scale.

comparing a game like Horizon to Pikmin because they have a similar score is a you problem not a reviewer problem

If I play online with 2 players, can I add a second "user" and the points earned online will be saved? MK8 didn't do that so my brother always had to start back at 1000 when we were playing

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

We've had this conversation countless times before in many other threads including this one. Let's break it down:

Mario Kart 8 - $50
Season Pass - $12
TOTAL - $62

Now lets looks at what you get in MK8D:
Mario Kart 8
Season Pass
New Characters
New Items
New Battle Mode
New Gameplay Features (new drift, double items)
1080p/60fps (higher resolution, frame pacing fixed)
Portable
TOTAL - $60

Keep in mind that Nintendo games maintain their value for a long time. If you bought the Wii U version, you could easily have sold it for $25 if not more to bring down the price of Deluxe. You can argue that its not a "good price" all you want but most Nintendo games maintain their value for a long time since they're evergreen titles and not a race to the bottom of $10 bargain bins.

greenmind

Banned
ill hopefully be finished with zelda by the time this arrives overseas to me...

so whats the amiibo that will be rare and expensive with this game ?

Rodin

Man, Nintendo gets so many passes. They even have their own scale!

PWLqOtx.gif

You joke about it, but on an italian forum there was actually a discussion about Breath of the Wild getting 10s only because Nintendo games are usually pure shit, so when they make a passable one reviewers give it the highest scores out of pity (or bribes). According to the same people though if it was on other consoles it would be compared to real games like Fallout 4 and get the shit scores it deserves for being a shitty kiddy game where all you do is picking up shits, mushrooms and beating stupid pigs.

Neiteio

You joke about it, but on an italian forum there was actually a discussion about Breath of the Wild getting 10s only because Nintendo games are usually pure shit, so when they make a passable one reviewers give it the highest scores out of pity (or bribes). According to the same people though if it was on other consoles it would be compared to real games like Fallout 4 and get the shit scores it deserves for being a shitty kiddy game where all you do is picking up shits, mushrooms and beating stupid pigs.
Well yeah, there are jealous console warriors in every language.

Yeah, just download it without the SD card in. Don't worry about losing anything, just pop the SD back in when you're done and all is well.

Hopefully Nintendo smooth this process a little later.

thanks

I am kinda torn between MK8D or Splatoon2 getting internal space, Zelda is my only physical game

Was it on NuovoGaf?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Fallout 4 is the funniest part. A developer renowned for getting a pass for releasing buggy games.

I actually don't think games should be priced down because they're re releases. People are always complaining about slapping a full price tag on a non-brand new game though, so it's a common complaint. I must admit I thought that extended to reviews but I was wrong.

As for the "anyone but Nintendo" rhetoric, what youve got to understand is that it's not anything against Nintendo. It's against the press. Games like Skyward Sword got "classic level" reviews when they came out, and 3D World is the same. Not that 3D World is a bad game, but generally people look at it in the context of other games and other Mario's and say "not up there with the classics". And yet again top tier reviews. Looking slightly down the scale, Metroid other M a great score of 79. Pikmin 3, great game. One of the best of all time? Scored 87 on mc. That's nearly Horizon level. Maybe it is just that Nintendo makes much better games than every other developer, but it just looks like Nintendo games get scored on a different scale.
Nintendo make different games too. What else is a pikmin 3?

Whats 50 grand to a muhfucka like me? can you please remind me?

We've had this conversation countless times before in many other threads including this one. Let's break it down:

Mario Kart 8 - $50
Season Pass - $12
TOTAL - $62

Mario Kart 8
Season Pass
New Characters
New Items
New Battle Mode
Portable
TOTAL - $60

Keep in mind that Nintendo games maintain their value for a long time. If you bought the Wii U version, you could easily have sold it for $25 if not more to bring down the price of Deluxe. You can argue that its not a "good price" all you want but most Nintendo games maintain their value for a long time since they're evergreen titles and not a race to the bottom of $10 bargain bins.

This is one of the reasons I decided to buy a Switch. Nintendo products have such good resale value it doesn't feel like as big of a risk. Isn't the Wii U still like $200-$250?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Mario Kart 8 - $50
Season Pass - $12
TOTAL - $62

Mario Kart 8
Season Pass
New Characters
New Items
New Battle Mode
Portable
TOTAL - $60

I actually believe Mario Kart 8 launched at $59.99, did it not?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I actually believe Mario Kart 8 launched at $59.99, did it not?

Yup. Its going for $50 at the moment.

Not to mention MK8 also had that Club Nintendo promotion where you could literally get a game for free (stuff like Pikmin 3 and NSMBU)

U2NUMB

I pre ordered yesterday from Amazon and they dont have a date.. I assume they are sold out? Wish they were more clear with that info.. hope they ship soon after launch.

Nintendo are posting memes on twitter about Mario Kart.

I think they know people get mad at them at the comments and do it on purpose lol

Anyways, I'm still waiting for a Luigi stare reference

Isn't the Wii U still like $200-$250?

Wii Us are no longer being produced for retail, and never got a permanent MSRP cut below $299.99.

That's a different story than Nintendo's games, though. It never got a second price cut not because it sold well at that price, but because Nintendo didn't think they'd make more money off of it at a lower price.

Top Bottom