• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Everyone:

Tell me the first character and track you'll pick upon playing this game.

Think I'll go with black Inkling Girl on MK Stadium. First stage is always glorious!

I want to try one of the new characters. The first one I try will probably be King Boo.

As for tracks, I plan on playing online first, so... whatever the game picks.

RRockman

Banned
25e53e28e81aecd3fd11d99cb93c6c66.gif

Oh man, you are in for GOOD TIMES

You have no idea. :)

I recommend Mario Kart Stadium, it's a magical introduction

Lol, yeah I missed every single Mario kart up until this point. I've only recently got into racing games and I'm actually super excited for this friday.

I'll do Mario Kart stadium first then. Thanks!

Neiteio

Lol, yeah I missed every single Mario kart up until this point. I've only recently got into racing games and I'm actually super excited for this friday.

I'll do Mario Kart stadium first then. Thanks!
Main thing to try: Drifting around corners to keep your speed. And when you drift, rock the stick back and forth to extend the drift. Your vehicle will spray sparks that change color the longer you drift: blue sparks, then orange, then purple. When you release the drift, you'll boost forward, with purple sparks giving you the strongest boost!

Kaelan

I saw amazon is selling a digital code for the switch. Has anyone bought it? Did amazon say when they'll send the code out?

Cindro

Hey, is there any ranking system to the online? It'd be nice if there was some sense of progression in that mode, but I can't remember how it was handled in the vanilla release.

Really can't wait for this weekend. I'm going to do nothing but MK8 and Puyo Puyo, with maybe a side of Kamiko if I'm feeling extra frisky.

I also got my tablet stand in. I hooked it up to my bedpost last night, and played Zelda for a couple hours laying down with my arms flopped to my side like a real piece of lazy garbage. Just as God intended!

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Hey, is there any ranking system to the online? It'd be nice if there was some sense of progression in that mode, but I can't remember how it was handled in the vanilla release.

Really can't wait for this weekend. I'm going to do nothing but MK8 and Puyo puyo! I also got my tablet stand in. I hooked it up to my bedpost last night, and played Zelda for a couple hours laying down with my arms flopped to my side like a real piece of lazy garbage.

It was glorious!

In online matches you have a "Versus Rating" (VR). It starts at 1000 and goes up if you do well, and down if you don't.

Kinsei

Banned
Everyone:

Think I'll go with black Inkling Girl on MK Stadium. First stage is always glorious!

I plan on jumping into the grand prix mode to shake off the rust and unlock Gold Mario. I'll be doing the cups in order which means the first track I do will be Mario Kart Stadium and I plan on picking one of my old favs from DD and Wii, King Boo.

Gonna go ahead and three star all the cups with a combination of Villager, Baby Luigi, Rosalina, Iggy, and Inkling Boy.

Then it's off to the online races to kick some ass and unlock all the parts!

Burning Justice

the superior princess
This one:

I swear I never saw Justice saying "FUCK YOU" to someone until that post.

He legitimately made me laugh with that post. Still one of my favorites from GAF lol

I haven't forgotten this. I'm still seething with rage, even two years later. :(

Exentryk

This one:

I swear I never saw Justice saying "FUCK YOU" to someone until that post.

He legitimately made me laugh with that post. Still one of my favorites from GAF lol

I'm actually surprised Justice didn't get a tag for this, lol

Prologue

So no voice chat at all?

Oh gosh. How can they even give a multiplayer game like this a 100 if you can't even talk to your friends?

Ninja Dom

Anybody in the U.K. have any experience of preordering digitally from Shopto? Do you know what time they send their download codes out?

Gibbo

For people living in Singapore, stocks should be on this evening. Just got a notification to collect mine from 6pm today (27th apr)

ffdgh

Everyone:

It's "Mario" Kart. Mario gets first dibs on all the modes and mushroom, special, and lightning cup. Afterwards it's Peach's game lol.

J@hranimo

Banned
This lowkey turned into a KartGAF thread lol

Everyone:

My boy Luigi. Not even hitting the tracks immediately, going straight into Battle Mode.

What are the chances of DLC for this later?

Don't think they'll make a Mario Kart 9 anytime soon, but DLC later on would be successful I think.

hatchx

Banned

Don't think they'll make a Mario Kart 9 anytime soon, but DLC later on would be successful I think.

I think there is literally a 50% chance. I can see them announcing DLC as soon as e3. I can also see the MK8 team moving on and working on something else.

ffdgh

Given the success of the original DLC batch, they'd be nuts not to have DLC for deluxe too.
Plus I neeed double deck and tilt-a-kart back as battle courses.

Roo

I don't think there will be any. Wouldn't make sense to add new content to a "definitive edition" game.
Especially when you consider how little new content they're adding from the start.

And as Neoxon pointed out, the MK team is behind ARMS so I assume their main priority right now and down the road will be that game.

KingBroly

Banned
Given the success of the original DLC batch, they'd be nuts not to have DLC for deluxe too.
Plus I neeed double deck and tilt-a-kart back as battle courses.

I dunno...DLC seems like it's not in the cards for this. Just my opinion, though. It's possible we get more, but I don't think it'd be worth it at this point.

ffdgh

I dunno...DLC seems like it's not in the cards for this. Just my opinion, though. It's possible we get more, but I don't think it'd be worth it at this point.

A little hope never hurt anybody right? I'd be happy with a few more character at the least.

Top Bottom