• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Plum

You joke about it, but on an italian forum there was actually a discussion about Breath of the Wild getting 10s only because Nintendo games are usually pure shit, so when they make a passable one reviewers give it the highest scores out of pity (or bribes). According to the same people though if it was on other consoles it would be compared to real games like Fallout 4 and get the shit scores it deserves for being a shitty kiddy game where all you do is picking up shits, mushrooms and beating stupid pigs.

Well, considering that the Korok Seeds in BotW are heavily implied to be literal shit they might not be wrong on this one.

Kickz

Same here. I think MK8 has the polish, nostalgia and is a lot more casual. Sonic Transformed has phenomenal single player, is faster, more technical and items are all dodgeable with skill making it a more intense but ultimately a superior racer. Glitches hurt it, and performance on consoles was iffy.

Cool, to see I am not alone in thinking this.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't know why this game didn't grab me on the WIiU like SOnic Racing Transformed on PC did.. Is there a fundamental difference I am missing???

I managed 100% competition on Sonic Racing Transformed on my Wii U and I preferred Mario Kart 8. Something about Mario Kart feels tighter and more polished whereas Sonic Transformed feels a bit more slapdash and thrown together.

Neff

Same here. I think MK8 has the polish, nostalgia and is a lot more casual. Sonic Transformed has phenomenal single player, is faster, more technical and items are all dodgeable with skill making it a more intense but ultimately a superior racer. Glitches hurt it, and performance on consoles was iffy.

I was on the same page at the time, Sonic Transformed was everything I wanted from a kart racer, it was definitive.

But I think MK8 has handily dethroned it. The physics, balance and course design is just perfection.

Rodin

Am i the only one who thinks Sonic is decent at best?

I have it on Steam and i really don't like the driving model or the track design. I don't even care about the sp "campaign" because i don't like playing the game at all. In fact, i'd put it behind any other kart racing game i've ever played.

I managed 100% competition on Sonic Racing Transformed on my Wii U and I preferred Mario Kart 8. Something about Mario Kart feels tighter and more polished whereas Sonic Transformed feels a bit more slapdash and thrown together.

i bought sonic transformed at launchand i thought nintendo will not dethrone sonic after mario kart 7 (which was a disappointment for me) oh boy was i wrong.

I didn't care for Sonic racing.

Didn't feel as fluid as Mario Kart for me. As for single player, can't really say since after a few hours I dropped it.

Would be nice to see competition for Mario Kart, but looks Iike Mario has the Kart racer locked down. Although it's had it for a while now.

I have it on Steam and i really don't like the driving model or the track design. I don't even care about the sp "campaign" because i don't like playing the game at all. In fact, i'd put it behind any other kart racing game i've ever played.

Transformed is garbage and completely unbalanced and floaty to me. The items are all generic and the singleplayer mode while fun can be ridiculously unfair and cheap in certain modes. I still think the first one is the best and tied with MK8 as my favorite kart racers of all time.

The IP content (selection of tracks and characters) makes it worth playing.

It can be pretty fun once you master the mechanics.

Track design is pretty okay.

But, man, the items and overall feel of the game both stink so bad.

Nesther

Gamexplains newest video on playing MK8D online using a mobile hotspot makes me hopeful that even people with strict NAT will be able to play.
Would be so bummed out otherwise, really would rather not change my network carrier just to play Switch games online on the go.

Anyone tried playing it online on the go using a mobile hotspot yet? Puyo Puyo Tetris has me worried for us NAT D'ers.
Puyo Puyo Tetris has issues? I was really hoping this was limited to Bomberman only for lag.

Edit:
Gamexplains newest video on playing MK8D online using a mobile hotspot makes me hopeful that even people with strict NAT will be able to play.
Would be so bummed out otherwise, really would rather not change my network carrier just to play Switch games online on the go.

Whoops, didn't see that.

Nesther

Puyo Puyo Tetris has issues? I was really hoping this was limited to Bomberman only for lag.

Yeah, doesn't let me connect to other people in most cases. I got into a single match after countless of tries, I'm assuming he had an open NAT, but most people don't, so I end up getting these errors.

brinstar

A friend and I picked it up during the early Wii U days because we kept seeing folks rave about how much better than MK it was and we both thought it was complete ass.

Roster yeah, Music? Hell no. Its good sega music from all the games but most of it aint original music and half of them is from the previous game, which were copy and pasted from their source game.
It's still good music I would rather listen to. They're catchy as hell. Most original Mario Kart music is fine but not memorable to me. The only songs I really liked from MK8 and imo are the best MK music are the two F-Zero remix songs.

vsxe4XnAlf8pW.gif

Just 2 more days.

Seik

Banned
Transformed is garbage and completely unbalanced and floaty to me. The items are all generic and the singleplayer mode while fun can be ridiculously unfair and cheap in certain modes. I still think the first one is the best and tied with MK8 as my favorite kart racers of all time.

I should give a shot at the first one, never actually played it, but I enjoyed Transformed a lot though.

Neiteio

Everyone:

Tell me the first character and track you'll pick upon playing this game.

Think I'll go with black Inkling Girl on MK Stadium. First stage is always glorious!

Everyone:

Think I'll go with black Inkling Girl on MK Stadium. First stage is always glorious!

Toad or Toadette (Toadette most likely). My Main Diddy ain't here and flying Parakoppa isn't either
Big Blue

Omnicent

Everyone:

Morton on Dragon Driftway. Then I'll go farm coins (I hope the coins from the collect coin battle mode counts).

AztecSoul

Quick question: I have a digital version from Amazon Japan, they already delivered my code, but I can't activated it for obvious reasons, can I expect to download and play the game on Japan's midnight?

RRockman

Banned
Everyone:

This is my first time actually! I have no idea what tracks are in the game. It's a coin toss between Neon green black inkling boy and link as my first.

Neiteio

This is my first time actually! I have no idea what tracks are in the game. It's a coin toss between Neon green black inkling boy and link as my first.
Oh man, you are in for GOOD TIMES

You have no idea. :)

I recommend Mario Kart Stadium, it's a magical introduction

Dry Bones was always my got to back in the day, so I'm excited to use him first. Probably going to play through all the cups in order on 200cc.

AmyS

Is two player split screen 60fps in portable mode and while docked on TV?

edit: that was silly of me to phrase it that way lol.

Top Bottom