• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Raw64life

The pacing is a million times better, the tutorials don't feel obnoxious at all, the enemy design is way better, and battles are WAAAY quicker.

Yea. Before the Ultibed I made sure to fight every single enemy I came across but after those golden bean things started appearing I would wallop them and then skip battles here and there. Gets real tedious after a while.

So I'm like 25 hours in, both bros are level 27. Just reached the
Ultibed
fetch quest. How close am I to finishing the game?

Feel my pain.

Marjar

Banned
Oh God, no it is not that long lol. I'd say it's more around 35-40 hours long. And I was trying to find all the Pi'illos too. Tried to avoid battles here and there though.

Final Boss is impossible at level 39 (with no beans used). He uses the healing move FAR too often. Plus, his hammer and laser moves are incredibly hard to avoid. Spent more than an hour and quit as it felt as I was going nowhere. Time to use up the beans and (hopefully) whoop him.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 28 hours done and I've
collected all the Ultibed pieces, now I need to go to that dude to build it

Am I close to the end lol.

greg400

Banned
This game worth picking up?

I've played every Paper Mario (barring Sticker Star) and M&L game prior. I was a little burnt out on the series after Bowser's Inside Story. Is there anything memorable enough to make it worth the 40 hour and 40 dollar investment?

Fireblend

Banned
Alright, finally finished this after ~40 hours. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, the music, graphics and mechanics (specially in-battle) are great. They're as good as they've ever been in this franchise, if not better. However, the game does make some mistakes. First of all, there are waaay too many "overworld" mechanics. The Luiginary works and the crazy amount of special jumping/drilling/flying/hammering/etc actions as a way to hinder and control progression was not a very good idea and by the end made traversing through most areas a pain. It also made tutorials happen waaaay too often, up to the last dungeon in the game.

And of course, its biggest sin is in overstaying its welcome. The fact that it reminded me of L.A. Noire for being the other game I've really hated for this reason speaks very badly of this game. It just barely managed to keep my interest to the end, but a M&L game should never be 40 hours long. I would have been more than happy with a 25-hour game. The fetchquests which at least didn't happen very often coupled with the extremely long platforming sections could have been reduced significantly to make this happen. Same for some gimmicky parts such as the on-rails sections of Dozing Sands.

All in all, even though it seems like I hated it, in truth I did really enjoy it. The battles were as good as they've always been in this franchise and pretty fast-paced. The story was decent and some parts made me laugh. As I said, the visuals and audio are absolutely top-notch. I was surprised with how deep the item/rank perks/badge variety was, even though it did feel like it could be very abused to make the game easier. I don't regret buying it for one second.

I ended up with rainbow ranks for both bros, all Pi'llos rescued and most expert challenges beat. I don't think I'll be doing New Game Plus anytime soon though :p

Edit: Some other comments related to previous posts I've noticed:

- As mentioned on the previous page, I didn't grind at all. I did purposely repeat some battles to reach rainbow rank earlier, but then found out it wouldn't have been necessary.
- The bosses weren't that hard. The only one I had trouble with was
the Zeekeeper
, all the others took me one try.
- I had no issue with the gyroscope/accelerometer, although I think I got better results when tilting the 3DS very lightly. Maybe it could have been adjusted better.
- Used tons of beans.
- What's the point of the
Wakeport photo puzzles
? Is there any reason why I should want to collect/clear all of them?
-
Bedsmith
: Best character.
- Giant battles kick all sort of ass.

Beat him at level 34 :D

Well I used all the beans I had except one of each and beat him easily. Being able to injure the right hand in one turns helped tons.

My equipment was possibly not ideal (too many defensive items) but as I said two of his attacks are pretty damn hard to avoid (or I just suck) so I needed them.

I used no beans to keep the game challenging, and most boss battles were tough for me, even died in a couple of them. 7 KOs according to the final info screen (I got a few more but resetted)

- What's the point of the Wakeport photo puzzles? Is there any reason why I should want to collect/clear all of them?

You get money/beans for clearing them.

DaBoss

The battles in this game are the slowest in the series though. It added more depth to dodging, but that made it take a really long time with some attacks. It could possibly make one think that it would be worth taking the hit than attempting to dodge an "obnoxious" attack.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The battles in this game are the slowest in the series though. It added more depth to dodging, but that made it take a really long time with some attacks. It could possibly make one think that it would be worth taking the hit than attempting to dodge an "obnoxious" attack.

Especially the ones where you're getting chased. Fucking hated all of those. Especially when an enemy got to do one of those in addition to like 1-2 other attacks.

Hiccup

Banned
I started playing this again. I'm in the desert area and I remembered why I stopped. Every minute is a damn tutorial and or reminding me how to do something I previously learned.

This game should have been called My First Little RPG

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I just made it to
somnom woods
. I hope I'm close to the end. The game is feeling like a chore right now. I like it but it feels dragged out.

Niraj

Somnom Woods is pretty close to the end. The dreamy version of it is short compared to the waking version.

It is, but there's still a ton left. Somnom Woods was excellent in general. Then you get to the last area and it's a snoozefest again. Or was for me at least.

Marjar

Banned
Yeah I gotta say, Dream Team is easily the weakest in the series due to the poor pacing and overuse of tutorials and abilities. Not to mention the drawn out attacks some bosses have and horrifically boring and tedious giant battles. The story is pretty bland too, especially compared to the twists and turns that happen in the other M&L games.

The music and art style is very good though. And I wouldn't call it a bad game. It's a good game with a lot of problems.

Somnom Woods is one of the best parts

Then you got that never-ending Neo Bowser Castle, with bosses that have never-ending attacks you gotta dodge. It's a test of endurance.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the tell for
Kamek
. I can't figure out that attack and how to counter it. The tell doesn't seem that obvious. It's the one where it's coming from all four sides, but then only one hits you.

Niraj

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the tell for
Kamek
. I can't figure out that attack and how to counter it. The tell doesn't seem that obvious. It's the one where it's coming from all four sides, but then only one hits you.

It's something like triangle is from the east, upside down triangle is from the west, circle is from the south, square is to the north.

Might have mixed up a couple, but once you know that that's what's going on, you'll get it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's something like triangle is from the east, upside down triangle is from the west, circle is from the south, square is to the north.

Might have mixed up a couple, but once you know that that's what's going on, you'll get it.

Thanks. That helped a lot. Wow, that last battle with the 4 of them took forever. They were like sponges absorbing all my attacks. I swear it took me like an hour.

DaBoss

Thanks. That helped a lot. Wow, that last battle with the 4 of them took forever. They were like sponges absorbing all my attacks. I swear it took me like an hour.

Easily the worst battle in the game for me. Doesn't help you had to battle him 4 times.

Ridley327

Beat this last night. I definitely agree with the complaints about how much slower-paced it is than the previous games, especially with the increase in dodge events. It also doesn't help that a few of those dodge events feel very cheap and often random, like the Pi'illodactyl's bullshit rock attack and the Mecha-koopa firing lines, as well as the ones that the final set of normal bosses used. Gyro use seemed really random at times, too; it seemed like that the only ones that worked 100% of the time were the ones that were largely 2D based, like the Luiginary Ball and Luigi's final Bros. Attack. God help anyone that's trying to hit anything that isn't the size of a barn with that slingshot attack or finishing off a Giant Battle with an Excellent.

The positives were definitely the sprite-work (as always), the combat fundamentals being as great as ever, Shimomura's soundtrack, and, surprisingly enough, the Giant Battles for finding awesome ways of staying varied and interesting throughout the entire game. The last one, in particular, was really fantastic, and would have been justified solely on the strength of that wonderful
Super Mario 64
nostalgia.

I'd probably rank the series right now as SS>>>BIS>>>>>>>>>>>DT>>>>PiT.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Easily the worst battle in the game for me. Doesn't help you had to battle him 4 times.

Yup. I wasn't a fan of that fight.

I'm on the
the final bowser fight now. I haven't figured it out yet, but I wasted time trying to fight him only to have him constantly regenerating HP. I'm guessing you should avoid attacking his arms since that's when he goes into the the move to regain his health

I tried to enjoy this game, but failed miserably. I only got a few hours in and couldn't take the slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow pace any longer. It was just so prodding, so monotonous, and so mind numbing that I couldn't squeeze any entertainment from it.

Niraj

Yup. I wasn't a fan of that fight.

I'm on the
the final bowser fight now. I haven't figured it out yet, but I wasted time trying to fight him only to have him constantly regenerating HP. I'm guessing you should avoid attacking his arms since that's when he goes into the the move to regain his health

what I did was get rid of the blocking arm (his right I think, your left) and use Luigi's slingshot move. If you hit that gem on his head or whatever it does about 500 damage, though obviously that's dependent on you being comfortable using that. I think I had Mario using Zee Egg most of the time since it hits everything. If you don't have that, I'd just use your strongest attacks or whatever you're comfortable with

I tried to enjoy this game, but failed miserably. I only got a few hours in and couldn't take the slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow pace any longer. It was just so prodding, so monotonous, and so mind numbing that I couldn't squeeze any entertainment from it.

That's really disheartening. I was thinking of picking it up when I go home for a visit in December, but now I'm just not sure.

If I enjoyed Paper Mario Sticker Star, will I like this?

The game interrupts you A LOT at first, be it tutorials or story dialogue, but it gradually gets better. That's one of the things I loved about Paper Mario, very few story at all.

Personally I never got tired of the game, even though before getting the game I was worried reading about the length. Took me 41 hours to beat (maybe about 1-2 more due to resets), which is about 10 more than the previous in the series. Just don't fight every enemy or you'll get burnt out.

Battle system is the best it has ever been, which enemies having more complex attacks. Yes they take longer but it was justified, except for some of the running ones that should have been cut a bit. Bros Attacks are great, especially the Luiginary Wall :p

If you're a fan of the M&L there's no reason to avoid this game.

BTW, what was better about Somnon Woods than the rest of the game? Quite confused regarding the comments on that.

jasonng

Okay, I feel like an idiot because I can't seem to figure this out. I'm towards the end at the final stage and I'm at the moving bomb maze part. I nabbed the two items at the far left and now it seems like I'm stuck. I can't navigate my way back to get out of this area. Is there a trick I'm not seeing?

Marjar

Banned
That's really disheartening. I was thinking of picking it up when I go home for a visit in December, but now I'm just not sure.

If I enjoyed Paper Mario Sticker Star, will I like this?

Probably not. Sticker Star actually did have much better pace, even though I feel like the bosses weren't designed well.

Playing this game is actually making me want to go back and try Sticker Star again.

NTom64

Finished this the other week. A bit of a barrier near the start because of the tutorials, but by the end I ended up loving it almost as much as Superstar Saga. I really can't give it higher praise than that.

I'm hope AlphaDream are receptive of the criticism and make the next one even better. They're the premier Mario RPG guys right now.

Niraj

BTW, what was better about Somnon Woods than the rest of the game? Quite confused regarding the comments on that.

Best music, didn't drag like the rest of the game did. The conceit of having to get the track pieces to access new areas was designed in a way where it didn't feel like padding. It was akin to a Zelda dungeon, centered around one concept and just plain executed well. Even the dream areas were of reasonable length. Compare that to the desert early in the game with the traveling drills, which was slow and miserable. That's just how I felt though.

I think somebody said something to the effect of them actually trusting you with your abilities and knowing that you can figure it out on your own. That's a good way to put it too.

Haha, I liked the demo. I haven't gotten a Mario game since NSMB2, though, and this one seems the coolest between it, Luigi's Mansion, and Sticker Star. They're all kind of derivative/sequels of older games, though; I have played the original Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario 64 and TTYD, and even Super Paper Mario. Wow, pretty crazy.

Haha, I liked the demo. I haven't gotten a Mario game since NSMB2, though, and this one seems the coolest between it, Luigi's Mansion, and Sticker Star. They're all kind of derivative/sequels of older games, though; I have played the original Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario 64 and TTYD, and even Super Paper Mario. Wow, pretty crazy.

Sticker Star and Dark Moon are very different then their predecessors.

Madouu

Just tried one of the Giant Luigi fights on my girlfriend's playthrough expecting to be very much annoyed by the whole thing but I actually found them extremely fun, some neat ideas too.

From what I have seen, the game really shines in the combat phases.

BowieZ

Banned
Pretty good game overall but I gave up at K
amek fight
#3... some attack of his I couldn't figure out, or something. I forget.

I feel I got enough fun out of it to justify moving on.

Meier

I was a little meh for the first few hours because of the ridiculous amount of handholding and interruptions, but I've really been loving it since. Disappointed to just find out it has the stupid turn the 3DS sideways boss fights.. by far my least favorite part of Inside Bowser's Story. :(

Just got to Wakeport now.

Mistle

Just finished this. Overall I loved it, from the art to music to the dialogue and awesome battles.
Dragged a little at the start but it made up for it.

Tbh, going to Pokemon after this feels like a pretty big downgrade. Art/graphics suck, music is bland, dialogue is bland, battles aren't fun.

Bladenic

Reached my first rank up, super hard deciding. What do y'all recommend? I was thinking extra experience now then extra gear slot next rank up, but they all sound tempting, especially +HP and Iron Body.

Top Bottom