• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. out on December 4th in Europe

oti

Banned
Searched and this is the newest thread I found about this game. I've been playing it for a few days now and the preview embargo ended today. If you've got a question, ask away.

I like the style and the combat.
please avoid too many tutorials and a boring overworld, and I'll love the game.

Tutorials are fine. You can pretty much ignore all the battle tutorials. You can practise them, read an explanation or figure them out for yourself. The game collects all the tutorials in a separate menu that you can totally avoid forever and ever if you so please.

About the over world; define boring for me here please.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This game wasn't on my radar at all but that Nintendo Direct trailer was amazing.

Mory Dunz

Searched and this is the newest thread I found about this game. I've been playing it for a few days now and the preview embargo ended today. If you've got a question, ask away.

Wow, cool.

Hm, I guess a general ranking of the M&L games (that you've played) if that's possible
Like: DT>BiS>PiT>SS for example.

Or would you rather a more gameplay question?
Do they sticker things (or what they're called) add to battles in your opinon. Do the paper elements improve the battle system?

Puruzi

Banned

Tutorials are fine. You can pretty much ignore all the battle tutorials. You can practise them, read an explanation or figure them out for yourself. The game collects all the tutorials in a separate menu that you can totally avoid forever and ever if you so please.

Don't go into detail, but are there any original characters, and is it still funny? PLEASE tell me it's still funny.

oti

Banned
Wow, cool.

Hm, I guess a general ranking of the M&L games (that you've played) if that's possible
Like: DT>BiS>PiT>SS for example.

Or would you rather a more gameplay question?
Do they sticker things (or what they're called) add to battles in your opinon. Do the paper elements improve the battle system?

I won't rank the games, sorry. :p
I do enjoy this game very much. I like how (up to now) there's no "we're in Bowser" or "we're in Luigi" gimmick this time. It's a Mario ass Mario and Luigi game.

The Paper Mario stuff is pretty much just another party attack. It's mostly "oh look, this is a character we know but in paper!". I like the paper stuff but there's a lot of foreseeable "you are me? And I am you?" stuff.

Funny? Yes! Very inside baseball.
Original characters? Haven't met any up to now.

Is Rosalina in there?
Maybe

I don't think so

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Perhaps they were hungover from "Wigger Wednesday".
uchNt8Y.jpg
Annnnnd dead. I remember when this happened.

Europe getting it first. That seems to be happening more often lately. Good for them, they deserve it after getting the shaft after all of these years.

Puruzi

Banned
I won't rank the games, sorry. :p
I do enjoy this game very much. I like how (up to now) there's no "we're in Bowser" or "we're in Luigi" gimmick this time. It's a Mario ass Mario and Luigi game.

The Paper Mario stuff is pretty much just another party attack. It's mostly "oh look, this is a character we know but in paper!". I like the paper stuff but there's a lot of foreseeable "you are me? And I am you?" stuff.

Funny? Yes! Very inside baseball.
Original characters? Haven't met any up to now.

Is Rosalina in there?
Maybe

I don't think so
Alright, that's good. Gonna be a little disappointing if there aren't any original characters, how far are you in?

maxcriden

Alright, that's good. Gonna be a little disappointing if there aren't any original characters, how far are you in?

I gotta ask this too. Every single character and enemy is one you've seen in a Mario or M&L game before? That's...really strange, and totally unlike this series. I'm glad to hear you're digging it though!

Hi oti xereis,

- Approximately how long is the game? How does it stack up to Dream Team or PiT in that section?

- How is the music?

- Does it have a good quirky story (again, using previous titles as a reference) or is it uh, paper thin?

- How much emphasis is put on those collecting missions?

JazzmanZ

Neat, seen any references to non sticker star paper marios?

oti

Banned
Hi oti xereis,

- Approximately how long is the game? How does it stack up to Dream Team or PiT in that section?

- How is the music?

- Does it have a good quirky story (again, using previous titles as a reference) or is it uh, paper thin?

- How much emphasis is put on those collecting missions?

- Can't answer that, sorry
- Love it, some sad piano thrown in there and I'm like whaaa
- It's not that surprising up to now, but a big twist could be just around the corner, I dunno
- well, you have to do them in order to progress at some points, but they're not all "go and find everyone", there's some variety in there. You can also replay them in a harder difficulty to collect stuff and complete side quest-ish stuff

MrPanic

I primarily want to know how "new" this game feels to you. This game was announced along with the new Mario Tennis and Triforce Heroes, and so far all three of these games look like they only exist because they can easily reuse assets and not because someone had a great vision for a new game. So how "new" is this game? Any reason to play this if you already played most of them?

Astral Dog

hmm, i did not like Dream Team or Sticker Star, could this be better or just more of the same? (bloated, messy , boring plot, stupid minigames) these two series have lost some of their luster imo.

I primarily want to know how "new" this game feels to you. This game was announced along with the new Mario Tennis and Triforce Heroes, and so far all three of these games look like they only exist because they can easily reuse assets and not because someone had a great vision for a new game. So how "new" is this game? Any reason to play this if you already played most of them?
And this, but there is probably going to be a new thread for previews.

oti

Banned

Sorry, I won't say yes or no here.
It is a Mario & Luigi game. "Mario game" pretty much is the setting. I don't think I've seen any new characters so far.

oti

Banned
But please take notice: I can't talk about anything after a certain point in the game which I haven't reached yet. So stuff could be different after that.

Mory Dunz

Just to be sure: Both Bowsers speak correct?

And are they basically the same, or do the Bowser and Paper Bowser have different personality nuances?

How long are the special attacks? For the past few games it feels like some are a bit too long...

oti

Banned
Just to be sure: Both Bowsers speak correct?

And are they basically the same, or do the Bowser and Paper Bowser have different personality nuances?

How long are the special attacks? For the past few games it feels like some are a bit too long...

Bowser gotta Bowser. Paper or not.
Special attacks can take too long, yes. Just the way the series has always been.

Mory Dunz

Bowser gotta Bowser. Paper or not.
Special attacks can take too long, yes. Just the way the series has always been.

I'll take that as a good thing.
I'm assuming they team up or something.

Well, special attacks didn't always take a long time (superstar Saga)

oti

Banned
I'll take that as a good thing.
I'm assuming they team up or something.

Well, special attacks didn't always take a long time (superstar Saga)

There is for instance the Trio Squash attack, the enemies turn into paper and get glued on the wall. Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi play Squash and hit them repeatedly. This takes some time. You can skip some animations though.

oti

Banned
Can you say in general if you are pleased with the game so far or somewhat underwhelmed?

I'm enjoying my time with it. It's pretty much by the numbers up to now though and exactly what you would think of if someone told you "Mario and Luigi with Paper Mario".

I like the amiibo integration way more than I thought. It's a bit cumbersome to use them but it's fun and I want to collect all the cards. (Which won't happen, my only amiibo ist the 30th anniversary Mario amiibo)

oti

Banned
Sice I just passed the preview embargo point in the story I'll just add some other notes here:

- amiibo cards are fun but can totally break the game during the first hours, I got a "deal x amount of fire damage to all foes" card and skipped at least ten battles with it, if you don't own amiibo or just aren't as lucky you don't get such card at the beginning though, it's a roulette thing, having said that actually using amiibo cards is cumbersome since you have to put the amiibo on the N3DS screen every time you want to use them
- battle cards just unlocked for me, those are amiibo cards without amiibo, they're fun and you can build your own deck out of them but in the end I hardly ever use them since the game is really easy (playing on normal, there's even an easy mode which I just don't understand)
- I'm having fun

Sorry, I won't say yes or no here.
It is a Mario & Luigi game. "Mario game" pretty much is the setting. I don't think I've seen any new characters so far.

Okay, no new characters, but are there any characters returning from other M&L or PM games (aka characters not from the main series or other spin offs)?

I'm looking forward to the campaign, not so much the Papercraft giant battles. I didn't like that mode at E3.

But we've gotta' wait longer in NA for some dumb reason.

Dream Team is the only Mario & Luigi game I've played, though, and it was kind of disappointing. It got very repetitive and a bit dull. I beat it, though.

I do own Bowser's Inside Story, but I haven't played it.

I'm looking forward to the campaign, not so much the Papercraft giant battles. I didn't like that mode at E3.

But we've gotta' wait longer in NA for some dumb reason.

Dream Team is the only Mario & Luigi game I've played, though, and it was kind of disappointing. It got very repetitive and a bit dull. I beat it, though.

I do own Bowser's Inside Story, but I haven't played it.
Dream Team was too long for its content. It's good, but Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are superior in terms of pacing.

MrBadger

Okay, no new characters, but are there any characters returning from other M&L or PM games (aka characters not from the main series or other spin offs)?

By the looks of it, only Starlow.

Also damn, this game is out in like a week. I still feel like I've not seen enough.

Top Bottom